(SE) the past keeps hauntin' the future i imagine
open!
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
SUNJATA
the flood
but am i too late? or hearts to your spades,
if i don't suit you? then what do you want from me?
It’s taken some time to get to the point where he feels alright. Of course, it’s sped along by the fact that Safrin has healed him – but in doing so, only brought up more confusing thoughts that swirl around his mind. He tries to take it slow, go into the movements of every day as he had before LongNight, to try and get a routine again. At least this sort of thing is easier, the comfort of preparing for monsoon season – one that he’s quite familiar with, making it easier.

Now, he’s never been in Torchline for this season, but he absolutely has lived through plenty of floods, learned to swim by getting tossed into the flood waters. The least he could do was help prepare his home for it. He finds himself along the Port, along the merchant stalls, offering his help to seal the edges that might have grown a bit loose and open with the recent volcano eruption.

He pairs the seals with a barrier of sand bags, at work long enough for sweat to shine along his temples, the constant move to wipe it away out of his eyes and continuing on, moving from stall to stall while Haai keeps him company, pulling and dragging things here and there.

Open! Helping Torchline prep!
so we're not written in the stars,
but i'm okay with that. i'm okay with anything
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MABEL

Mabel didn’t know what to expect on her first journey through the portals. Evelyn had already given her some hints, wandering through herself beforehand, while Mabel had tended to other things. But now, stepping out into peeks of clouds (prosperous at that, but she still tucked herself into her cloak), and everything, she found herself overwhelmed.

The sights and sounds were prosperous, wonderful, and immense, an intensity she hadn’t experienced. The Grounds were meandering pockets of life; these were constant swarms, coming and going with astounding speed, hues, and fabrications, and she kept everything she’d brought close to her belt, bag, and pocket; out of fear, out of apprehension, completely uncertain of what her element might be here.

So she wandered, the uncertainty all the more apparent, if one could see her features beneath the long veil of her hood, until she seemed to reach portions of the sea (touching her bare foot to its grace, squealing under her breath), and then, lost at everything to do and see, she kept walking along ports and docks.

Everyone was a stranger here, but there seemed to be a group working on something, and her stare swept along until she could fully regard the happenstance: bags of sand moved, from kiosk to kiosk, stall to stall, and a griffin tagging along.

Perhaps she should’ve remained constrained, but the level of overbearing things scratched at her mind, and the youthful zeal, lost so long ago under the withering farm and family demise, returned on some semblance of air, calling out to the one who seemed to be running things. “Do you need any help?”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
He half expects to get some questions involving those that lived within Torchline. Half expected to see a familiar face pop up and ask to help, or simply just… Begin. But that was neither here nor there, not as Sunjata’s focused on his work – feeling far better than he had in weeks. The slight shifting of his tattoos might be noticeable as he stacks another bag of sand before turning to the unfamiliar lilt of a voice that calls out to him.

His steel gaze flickers over her, almost as if he’s trying to debate where she’s come from. She certainly doesn’t look Torchline enough to be someone from here. He glances back toward the sandbags, contemplating. It’ll certainly get the job done faster, and so he glances back over toward her as he goes to reach for another bag to add to the line that’s growing along the makeshift base of the business, to keep the water out. “Sure.” He agrees easily – while Haai keeps her eyes on Mabel.

The griffin can tell there’s something familiar about her – but not in the sense that they’ve seen each other before. No, something about her reminds her of Nate – the stillness perhaps? – and it’s enough to have the feathery creature stepping toward the woman to sniff and investigate it further. "I'm just stacking these around to help for when the storms hit." He gestures to them, plenty of work for the two of them.
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MABEL

She didn’t live here, didn’t know a thing other than hearsay and what she’d caught with her own eyes, striving to understand other worlds, other realms, without becoming diminished in the sun. The youth, instead of embarking forward with all the confidence she held within the Hollowed Grounds, a land she understood right into the roots, she stood, nervously waiting for the decision to be made. The acceptance came quickly, and she shoved the relief down into her bones, nodding hastily, and getting to work.

Well, first she observed, watching as the others tended to the same thing, as the man and griffin permitted her to venture forth. The companion deigned her somewhat worthy of attention, and she hemmed and hawed about providing anything of notice to the little creature. Eventually she reached out to tentatively pat the griffin on the head, before retreating towards some of the bags, grabbing hold of one, and following through on everyone else’s movements.

The stranger’s statement was still lost on her – and though she should’ve probably known, based on how often their crops had been destroyed – maybe there was something else lingering, lurking beneath the surface. Without bravado, her voice gingerly swept into the surroundings. “What happens when the storms hit?”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
Haai immediately approves of the woman, easily enough with the little head pats given, before she meanders along the sandbag path — nose to the ground to seek out anything else of interest — leaving Sunjata and Mabel to work together. At first he’s silent while he’s shoring up another bag to make another bank. Her question is aired and he moves to grab another sandbag that’s been filled.

Lots of wind and rain, too much for the rivers and canals to handle.” He offers, tilting his head toward her to offer a small smile. He doesn’t know what she’s familiar with, whether she’s an Outlander or not, wouldn’t know if she knows what the idea of drains might make for a place like this like they had to help alleviate this season in Korofi. “So it spills over, brings in floods. This should help give it a bit more time before it starts flooding too much.” He rumbles, patting a bag as he says it, before moving onto the next.

Where are you from?” He asks her, since it’s obvious she isn’t from around here.
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

Briefly meeting the little companion seemed to go off without a hitch, and despite the aspects of fire, of things that could scorch and destroy her, the griffin didn’t seem to wish any harm. It brought some semblance of relief, so much that her back straightened out, and the girl didn’t threaten to collapse on herself. Her hands grasped another bag, lifting it, and setting it along the rest, evolving into a routine she’d perfected along the farm. Easy and simplistic, and with no pain in her muscles to show for any efforts, it could start to be an efficient task, instead of one she’d proclaimed ignorant of.

But the stranger had answers for her inquiry, and she listened, pondering the levels of wind, rain, and how often it must’ve happened. Monsoons weren’t something frequent in the Grounds, and honestly the crops could’ve used a bit more water, some tangent of potential flooding, rather than some of the dry spells that had begun disastrous treks. “Makes sense,” she shrugged, wondering if their blessed Old Gods could’ve done anything to cease and desist the matter of onslaughts, or if they simply didn’t care.

Most likely the latter.

Maybe the bags wouldn't signify anything but the constant spirit of humans attempting to make things better for themselves. Maybe the floods would come and vanquish everything.

Out of her dreadful musings, the question he granted back to her was easy enough, and she obviously didn’t belong here. “The Grounds.” She paused, considered the weight in her hands, in her back, in her shoulders, as she placed another sack along its stacked brethren. “It’s my first time anywhere else.”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
It did make sense, and he grabs another sandbag to place along the line they’re creating while he focuses on letting the question hang in the air between them. Part of him is pleased when he does note that she’s not from Torchline – pleased he hasn’t missed out on too much since he’d been downed. But the fact she was from the Grounds has him nodding, curious as to how the Grounds has been holding up throughout everything.

What do you think of Torchline?” He questions, pausing just long enough to tilt his head toward the girl before moving to grab another bag and set it up along it before stepping back and folding his tattooed arms across his chest, steel gaze scanning the path they’ve made, wondering where he could adjust and shift the line so it could fit and protect the entire line.
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

Without pain, she could ignore any potential twinge of muscles and aches, and likely would’ve ignored them too, given farmwork, given the hours spent toiling in fields for nothing to come to fruition. The youth would’ve been content to work in silence, not comprised into chatter or discourse, alone in her thoughts or the potential for more, beyond these quandaries and sentiments, when the man asked her what she thought of the world she only minutely knew or understood.

Her gesture or tone wasn’t rude, but merely flat, lacking in excitement or thrall. “This is all I’ve seen so far.” Bags, marketplaces, and the siren swell of the sea beyond – horizon hints, and she’d yet to wander into its powerful mass. Her eyes went along the distance, beneath her hood, trying to maintain any semblance of the sun off her skin, stoked curiosity for what it was worth. If this stranger was a local, he’d have the right ideas of where to go, what to see. “Where is the best part?”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
Ah, so it seems rather boring I bet.” Sunjata remarks to her flatness with a huff of a chuckle, a breathy laugh that leaves him as he places another bag in place and moves to stand back and focus on how the line is turning out. When he’s satisfied, he pulls the small cart over so they can start stacking another line of them along the next batch of homes and businesses.

As for the best part? He’s quiet for a moment as he considers it. “The Rainbow Road is nice if you like colorful things. My personal favorite, though, is in Aumakua by the lighthouse. Sunsets and sunrises there along the cliffs are great.” There wasn’t much else he could say about it – she’d have to experience it in order to get the result wanted. Otherwise, he’d just be feeding useless words to a girl who hasn’t seen enough of Torchline to imagine it.
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

She shrugged, mimicking layers of indifference towards his first statement. Not boring by any means, but with the notion of a thousand other things out there, the temptation to linger, to press her feet into the sand, to walk into waves, outweighed placing bags of sand along designated routes. It’d been something she’d done to herself anyway, so no grudges could be slung upon anyone except her own entity, and eventually they’d be done, and she could tackle the currents at her own pace. Or merely relish the sights, the sounds, the swells, study them for what they were worth, journey back home and tell –

Except, there was no one else to tell, except for Evelyn.

Her eyes sought the ground, and then another pile of bags, hoisting one over her shoulder to continue the process. The stranger’s following remarks contorted in her skull though; more enticements, Rainbow Roads (and so she imagined things like from their storybooks, or her mother’s quiet voice reading out loud – avenues and routes colored, painted, like those warm hues flanking the skies) and foreign words like Aumakua – sunrises she couldn’t hold for very long, but a sunset could be savored. One of the phrases tripped her up though, and her brow furrowed in confusion. “What’s a lighthouse?” An actual house of light (and that sounded bizarre, uncertain of why anyone would want that)?
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
The work for placing the sandbags is far quicker with more hands on it, and soon Sunjata finds themselves sufficiently done with packing bag upon bag, the line growing longer along the side where the banks were to help give it just that extra bit. And all that’s really left is for inspecting it, making sure it works, that they’re secure and heavy enough that no storms would rip through and tear the line out before they had any chance or shot to work.

Her question catches him a bit off guard, however, and Sunjata purses his lips briefly as he considers it – having never had to explain what a lighthouse was before.

After a moment of inspection and Haai gliding over the new embankment, Sunjata wipes off the sand and dirt on his hands as he turns toward Mabel. “It’s a really tall building with a light at the top that shines out to the sea.” He explains, looking away from him and toward the cloud cover, squinting as if he might be able to see the large landmark. But it appears there’s too many clouds to make it out.

It’s to help guide ships so they know where land is.” He offers, glancing back toward Mabel curiously awaiting a reaction.
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

She waited for something; laughter at her ignorance, some snort at her indiscretions. The stranger seemed to answer it patiently though – and she was allowed to imagine a lighthouse in its true form, tall, monolithic building, lights corresponding from the top (and not the entire structure), shining out to the waves, to the bays, to the sea. Her eyes followed his, hoping to see it in its actuality and tangibility, but nothing but clouds exist, absconding with the potential. “Oh,” she murmured, lips pursing back together, thoughts churning over. A guide, a hand, to assist ships coming in – something she’d never had to worry or think about. "Where do the ships go?"

Her eyes went back to the long line of sandbags, wondering if they were finished, or if there were any other things necessary to prevent a monsoon’s precision, ugliness, or potential ruination. Gaze snapping back to the man, a shrug yearned to clamber over her shoulders, just to rid herself of the discomfort. “Do you need anything else done?”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
As for where the ships go? He folds his arms easily across his chest, considering the waves beyond where the Ark had gone and his niece with it, before his steel gaze slides back toward Mabel with an easy smile. “They go to other places, I guess. Trade with them and come back. That’s what I’ve understood of it at least.” A small shrug granted toward that, unsure exactly what they traded or bargained, too much of the ‘lawman’ of Torchline to find out.

But her gaze departs to move along the sandbags they’d pulled out, and Sunjata mulls it over, chewing on the inside of his cheek before shaking his head. “No, I think that’s good enough.” Comes the easy rumble, one arm unfolding from his chest to stretch out toward the bags and barrier made. “Should be sturdy enough to help alleviate anything that comes our way.” That and the rest of the plans Sunjata has.
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

Isolated for so long amidst the Grounds, their dilapidated farm, and otherwise suspicious family, his answers only sparked more questions. They laid on the back of her tongue, clenched in between teeth, snapping on fangs, pondering all the while as she ignored all the other movements around them. Trade? What did they trade? What was across the horizon, the everlasting, eternal sea? What precious things, artifacts, designs, waited along interwoven bays and crusades? How did they find their way to, and then back home? Stories always glossed over those details and finer points, and pictures could only showcase so much. Were there pirates along the coastlines, waiting for their next victims? Were their great, gargantuan animals rising from the deep? Mabel felt like one of her younger siblings, sitting there on the floor, shouting out an assortment of inquiries, mind yearning to interrupt, to fill her void with something other than ignorance.

And with nothing more to do, the notions bit, clawed, and tore at her. She rubbed her hands together, fingers interlocking, woven along the enamel of her nails, as if she were knitting or committing herself to some need for action; otherwise she was stock still, hooded, wanting nothing more than to skirt along the waves. Her attention had completely deviated from any of the work finalized, and her gaze snapped back to him, abrupt, eerie, uncanny. “Have you ever been out there?”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out