still waters
for Wessex
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
i've seen fire & i've seen rain.
i've seen sunny days that i thought would never end
That Wessex didn't suspect him might have been a lie, Remi wasn't entirely sure. If it wasn't a lie, then she perhaps had someone else in mind. Or maybe she truly did believe in their truce enough to have expected some sort of warning from him. Knowing that he wasn't the culprit made things only marginally easier in his mind.

There was still some strange killer on the loose.

Not knowing what time of day the demigoddess might appear (she'd made it abundantly clear the sun was no real barrier to her schedule anymore), Remi simply left his day open. He paced, he arranged things that needed no further organization, he tried and failed to read, he sketched.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you wouldn't even recognize me anymore
not that you knew me back then
The number of people she trusts to keep their word grows ever smaller, it seems, but the Wraith had no reason to believe the Alchemist was not one of them. Even with Ludo backing him, he seemed far too… good-turned-honest to want to deceive her. And what good would it have done? To make a truce and then to break it with such a small ‘fish,’ per se. No, the smarter man would keep the truce until he could reel her in and break her - and Remi is a smart man.

It’s about mid-morning when Wessex comes trekking up to the Governor’s door, the grey clouds of monsoon season hiding the sun from view and seeming very appropriate for her mood. Knocking at the door, she keeps a wandering eye out for Seren, having taken a shine to the girl last they met. In fact, Loki is with her for that very reason, always eager for scale scritches and a chance to play while the adults talked.
but it all comes back to me in the end
WESSEX
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Loki will find Seren climbing among the rocks now that she is old enough to do so without supervision. Or at least, without Remi hovering over her citing facts about how easy it was to slip and fall into the sea. His parenting style with the star-child is...gruff. Kindness masquerading as cold logic.

No sooner does Wessex knock then the door opens. Magically pulled, she'll find Remi standing in the middle of the room mid-pace. Despite the length of time, he's spent 'tidying', the room is more of a mess than when he found it. Nothing is in its place, half-drawn diagrams lay scattered everywhere, books opened to pages and then left forgotten.

"Do you know who did it?" He asked, turning to square his shoulders to hers and dispensing with the pleasantries.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Off the black dragonling goes with a trill and a trumpet towards the young demigoddess, Wessex too surprised by the magical door opening to say much of anything. How quickly things change amongst them, she thinks, assuming that with this telekinesis comes Remi’s other powers, regrettably inching him back up towards threat again.

Wiping her boots on the outside of the doorframe before stepping inside, the Wraith closes the door behind her and then looks at the Alchemist as he squares off towards her. “No,” she begins matter-of-factly. “If I did, I’d have already tried to retaliate.” The way that she does best - alone, quickly, nigh on invisible in the dark. She perches on the arm of a chair occupied by two or three books, ignoring the mess around her. “Three murders in a week. I’m worried.” Whether or not Remi is sympathetic isn't on her mind; she says it because of the bigger implications that lie behind the statement.

If Ascended could look tired, Wessex would look like she hasn’t slept since LongNight.
WESSEX
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
He appreciates her efforts to keep his floor tidy, but in the moment he couldn't have cared less even had she tracked in the entire beach with her. "Three?" Remi repeated, eyes appropriately wide with surprise and horror. It didn't occur to him that she might be counting Rexanna and Clem. But then, he hadn't been there. Hadn't seen and smelt it. Hadn't known the choices Sam had and the truth of how he went about things.

"Fuck." The Alchemist mumbles under his breath, pacing towards the backside of his desk where he slumps heavily into his chair.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Three,” she repeats with a solemn nod. “Rex and Clem were… Safrin’s fault.” Technically. But she had help. Wessex looks away for a moment, unable to meet Remi’s gaze, even inadvertently, as she fills the space following his expletive. “Karma. Revenge. The start of a war. Pick one.” He hadn’t asked for how or why, but the Wraith hasn’t had asympathetic unbiased non-Ascended ear yet, so the Alchemist, unfortunately, is likely to be the lucky one on the receiving end of what is Wessex ‘talking it out.’

“I’m sorry. You lost a friend too, didn’t you?” Rex’s life touched many people, she’s realizing, particularly before she became Queen. It seems like forever ago that Remi and Ronin were in the Grounds. Another life, almost, when they could pretend that things might still turn out alright.
WESSEX
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Safrin, or Sam's." Remi replies with a slight nod of his head that becomes a shrug. Whatever he and Sam once were and whatever they might be again, the cool clarity that comes with being the sort of asshole Remi is now doesn't hide the impulsiveness of the bookmaker's actions. The road to hell might be paved with the best of intentions, but that's little comfort against dead bodies.

"Mmm." He agrees, this time his nod is solemn. There was...so much more he wanted to do with Rex, to say and hear...Pulling in a deep breath and exhaling out memories best left for another time, the Alchemist tries to refocus his thoughts.

"The presentation isn't very Torchline. The people here are...less subtle in their grievances. Halo too seems blunter than this. And the Grounds? It wouldn't surprise me given how many ascended are there, but why now, after all this time?" Tapping his finger on his desk, the Alchemist takes a breath and sighs it out. "So unless we're dealing with somewhere entirely new, which...is a possibility...would it surprise you at all if this originated in the Greatwood?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Or Deimos’s” she adds quietly, saying what she imagines no one really wants to say about the General who can do no wrong.

Her expression darkens and she tries to shake it away, sliding casually (is it though? Or is it a hidden sign of despair?) into the chair and on top of the books. A spine in her ass doesn’t hurt the way it should, so she just tries to make sure she isn’t destroying any pages. Her calves dangle over the arm as the Wraith considers Remi’s suggestion. It definltel wasn't Morgan's style, though she can imagine the Warden is on the pleased side of the event. “Honestly, I wouldn’t put anything past the Fae, but I always thought Delah was more of an… isolationist?” Look at her, knowing big political words ‘n shit Pausing to consider if that’s the right word, she doesn’t take too long and shrugs, throwing it to the wind.

“I didn't think the Ascended had bothered them recently. But I wouldn’t be surprised if I were wrong. Nate said a girl attacked him - now that I think about it, it makes more sense if the attacker were Fae.”

And it makes it a much bigger problem. One that can eventually be dealt with, but not without some help.
WESSEX
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Deimos is...a naive player in all of this, Remi thinks. If only to save himself Amalia's scorn, he can't believe that the General would do something like this on purpose. But whether or not that makes him blameless is another matter entirely. Luckily, it is one the Alchemist doesn't have to pass judgement on.

"Delah is dead." Remi mumbles somewhat stiffly, narrowing his eyes at nothing in particular and letting them go unfocused. "Someone else has taken her place. I'm not sure who, but I did receive a raven in return from the Greatwood."

To hear Nate had been attacked...That makes Remi's jaw clench and his eyes refocus instantly. "I warned Sam about it. I had thought with Sunjata, Nate would be protected..." Idiot awards all around, it seemed.

"Other than the...thing near the Mathair.." That thing, of course, being the conflict between fae and ascended. "...is there anything more I should know, about relations between the ascended and the fae?" The Alchemist well knew he was only in position to ask for what Wessex would give, but at this point, he was probably one of the most stable allies she had.

One of the most honest, if nothing else.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Really?” she questions, making something short of a surprised pikachu face. It filters down to something more like regret tinged with sadness. “That’s a shame.” And she means it, too. In another life, the two women would have been great allies, she thinks, and besides, the Warchief was someone she understood. Wessex always knew where she stood with Delah, even if that place was riddled with little divots of scorn and singed grass from her fiery glare.

Whomever has taken her place is an unknown, and that’s dangerous. “It was before LongNight. I only just recently learned of it. So if his attacker and the box person are the same thing, they’ve had ample time to plan. Probably since the beginning of Deepfrost, if not earlier.” Which… doesn’t mean shit. Or help them in any way, but it is more or less disturbing that no one had picked up on it until now.

Leaning against the back of the chair, the Wraith shakes her head at his inquiry. There’s nothing to hide right now - she is an open book. “Amun and I snuck in for Fiat Lux last year. Didn’t do anything other than look wistfully at the others and exchange gifts. Then there was the fiery luxere debacle that I wasn’t thinking about and tried to help with -” inclining her head a bit, she acknowledges that misstep. “ - but they reinforced that stupid decision and I quickly left.” An honest, forgetful mistake, and it didn’t kill anyway - unlike other, recent mistakes that others have seemingly been forgiven for. Naive or not.

“Other than that, every new Ascended is strongly warned not to go into the Greatwood. I don’t know of anything else.” That she’d even admitted the Fiat Lux trespassing is hopefully enough to demonstrate her continued honesty.

“Do you think this could be a Ludo thing?” Even if Remi doesn’t appear to know about it?
WESSEX
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi, knowing nothing of the truce that tentatively existed on war-torn terrain between the demigoddess and the fae chief, says nothing. It's hard to offer condolences when you're the killer, but...well. Remi is working on that.

Listening, most of what Wessex has to say seems minor. A bit of trespassing, a luxere rescue gone wrong (and more trespassing, he supposed), but nothing that would suddenly warrant the start of war. Unless one had already been building. "I wonder if Delah was the one holding it all together. That is, keeping the fae in the Woods, to themselves."

And he'd killed her. At Ludo's request.

Biting the inside of his lip hard enough to draw blood, the Alchemist forces himself to exhale lest he chew through his own skin. "It could be, if only because...well. I believe now more than ever that Roana exaggerated though her account might have been, was telling the truth." Pausing to rake both hands through his curls, Remi lets them drop heavily to his desk. "I asked Ludo what my role in all of this was, and it said I am just to keep doing as I have been. Working off the names it gives me. Other than that...for now it seems I can pick my own path through this."

Which was just to say that if this was Ludo's doing, it hadn't shared its intentions with Remi.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“I wouldn’t be surprised,” she muses, thoughtfully. Though any guess on Fae culture is mostly made blind, if it’s anything like the working of their own society there were probably far more who were outraged than they saw. “The Mathair is one of the few things I regret. If I thought walking into the Greatwood and asking how I could start to fix things would help, I would. But how do you…?” unkill five Fae and put a spirit back into a goddamn tree? Wessex shrugs rather helplessly, rolling her head against the back of the chair and stares up at the ceiling. Huh. It's a nice ceiling.

“Being an abomination is awfully convenient sometimes.” A powerful as fuck abomination, but the rest of them aren’t, and therein lies the problem.

Lifting her head again to look at the Alchemist, she offers a weak half-grin. “At least you have that.” The for now is implied, she can’t bring herself to voice it yet, even as a joke. Allies are precious and far between right now, and the Wraith knows that Remi is her link to the others. “For what it’s worth, there aren’t any plans for revenge. We have no desire to escalate anything unless we have to.”

That have to is suitably vague - even she doesn’t know where the line is right now. Her personal line was crossed during LongNight, but the group line is... well, it probably still needs to be determined. There is so much to do.
WESSEX
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi shakes his head, knowing well how the demigoddess's sentence could end. "The Fae are a warrior race...it might simply be the case that they are happy to have conflict wherever they can find it." Snorting dryly under his breath and shaking his head just once, it's enough to express both deep resentment and hardened undersetanding. "If that isn't the truth." Because Remi too is a special sort of too-powerful abomination. He's just a different brand of it.

On that note, Remi raises a brow. He isn't too sure where the line between the two of them is, but he thinks he's still on his side of it. "I hear Sam went back to the Voice.." He says, opening the door to that topic if she cares to walk through.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
He has a point, and it does make her feel the teensiest bit better. “And if it’s not each other or Dragons, it might as well be the Ascended,” because why not? When they’d given them plenty of cause. Oh well. That wasn’t one area of her life that was going to be resolved soon, so perhaps it’s better to just move on - which Remi does, though the the next topic is enough to make her look at him with a sharpened sense of curiosity.

Wessex knows little about the Sam/Remi relationship and cares even less. Last time they’d met, she’d gotten the idea that they were still friendly, but that he knows this is a bit of a surprise. How close are they? Should she be worried, or is it just yet another good thing to tie the demigod to the Ascended? “He did,” she says simply, pausing before elaborating a little. “I don’t think he actually knew what he was doing and when faced with potentially shutting down, couldn’t follow through.”

It’s a shitty reason to come back to the fold, but if she can impress on him the importance of certain things, perhaps he might be able to turn himself around. Biiiiig perhaps, though. Wessex ain’t holding her metaphorical breath for Sam changing his ways any time soon.
WESSEX