Winds of Change
for Frey
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
You not wanting me...
It had been a long time since she had come to a shrine.

Not that she had neglected her weekly offerings and prayers - no she had given them, just at the shrine dedicated to Frey in the front hall of the Halenani given how busy she had been in getting the place up and running. It might not be so blessed as to call the god down from their world of the divine, but the Midwife turned Madame knew better than most that Frey required no such instrument to hear the words of praise she gave them. Moreover, it was Flowerbirth the busiest season for Frey as new life sprung forth after the dead of Deepfrost. Bothering them during this time just to say, "Hi friend! Have a peach!" wasn't wise or thoughtful.

But today she made the trek up to the shrine on the Rainbow Road, because her mind was troubled, a basket of offerings from the prostitutes as well as her own offering of peaches held in her hands. On her shoulder sat Branbast, dozing as she made her way. The strangers who had appeared, the things they implied, the assistance they wanted from her...none of it sat well with her. How did they know so much? Where had they come from? Why was she again being pulled into a war she wanted no part of?

She set the basket of various fruits on the shrine - some having been placed into very suggestive positions on purpose - alongside her offering of peaches. Phoebe had tried to coerce Branbast into bringing something to no avail. The Sear Cat had actually been rather offended at being asked to bring a gift to a god. Please he was a Sear Cat not a lowly human, thank you.

"Frey, I am sorry for bothering you during such a busy time but...a lot is happening here and I need your guidance." she called out, hoping her friend could spare her some time.
...Was the beginning of me wanting myself

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
FREY
"Not so sorry that it stopped you from coming." An O or a U? Frey would let Phoebe decide.

Apparently in the rainbow haze, Frey was as naked as they always were, appearing even more alluring somehow. Perhaps it was merely the season, or perhaps it really was the case that the deity's normal affect was not the full range of what they could do. Whatever it was, Phoebe would feel a deliciously warm heat stir low in her belly as the god offered her a sensual smile.

Reaching for one of the peaches and giving Branbast an unreadable look, Frey stood with a brow raised as they bit into the pulpy fruit.
Because baby when it's love if it's not rough it isn't fun
Code blatantly stolen from Sky
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
You not wanting me...
At the sound of Frey's voice, Phoebe could not help her grin, raising her eyes to behold them in the rainbow light. They seemed so much more at home, in a way, standing there in the multicolored lights. But it seemed to extend past just their appearance - the warmth she felt suffusing her body far more powerful than it had been in a very long time. "No, not so sorry as that." she said in agreement, though her voice was far more breathy than she had anticipated it being. Though, it was Frey's season at a shrine dedicated to them - the strength of their allure made perfect sense.

Branbast held Frey's stare, blinking slowly at the deity in a very catlike gesture of affection, purring as he still sat upon his companion's shoulder.

"A man came to the brothel to speak to me a few days ago - he wanted to see if I would help in the war against the Ascended because of my connection to you." she said, brows stitching together in worry as she focused on why she had come rather than the feelings flooding her sense. "I couldn't really get at the crux of what he wanted - I told him you and Rae probably didn't care about the war and that I certainly am not helpful for something like that. I just...I wondered if you know who these people are, what game they are playing, so I don't accidentally walk into something that would upset you." she explained. Phoebe didn't want to accidentally become a tool used to coerce Frey's hand in something they wanted no part in. She worked hard to make sure the things she did honored them - and Cian's persistence and eerie knowledge of her had been very unsettling.

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
FREY
Content with the Sear Cat's greeting, Frey munched happily on their peach as they listened to what Phoebe had to say.

Pausing only for a moment, Frey slurped loudly on the peach, their tongue running up the inside of the yellow fruit as skillfully as they might when between one's thighs. "They are called the Order." The deity said after a moment. "They are..." Pausing to consider how best to phrase it, eventually, they merely shrugged and gave up. "..a necessary nuisance if you ask me." Which Phoebe was, so they continued.

"The Order is from the city that the Voice was born in. They sort of...took it as a personal affront that she became what she did. Now only Accepted, Attuned, and Demigods are allowed there. Anyone with magic in their blood is turned to stone. And Ascended? Well they're killed on-sight."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
The Order

Phoebe listened intently to Frey's description - a necessary nuisance was a better description she had thought they would give. But as Frey continued, describing their city, her eyes widened in...shock? Horror? "If they have that kind of power, then what on earth do they want from me?" she blurted out. If they could just snap their fingers and kill Ascended then why were they going through all this trouble? But the list of those who could enter their city caught her attention too. Demigods...For a moment her gaze fell and she worried her lip. "The man who came to talk to me - Cian - he seemed convinced you were going to make me one of those - a demigod. Like Ronin and Remi." she said softly, looking back up at Frey.

She loved Frey dearly - unconditionally even. That they might think enough of her to bestow her with such a gift was incomprehensible. She was but a mere human, a speck in time for Frey. She knew they were fond of her, but she had never expected them to appreciate her more than any other devotee. That they were as fond of her as they were had always been a blessing in her mind. "If you did...if you do...what would you want me to do? Help them?" she asked.

Change author:
FREY
"Partially as a matter of pride, honeybunch. Being all accepted as they are, they are drawn to others like them." An entire city filled with accepted, communing with the gods, using their channeling near-constantly. The presence of the Old Gods and the heralds were commonplace in the capital. Why shouldn't Phoebe be recruited for such a thing?

"Cian." Frey said with a roll of their eyes. "That man is sexual tension incarnate." The herald replied, not quite answering her question. "Well that all depends on your preferences." The purred, reaching out to stroke a strand of her golden hair. "The capital city is sustained with a good deal of magic from Rae and myself...it is a rather oppressive place without us. You could always look after the life within the city." They said with a soft shrug. Helping to facilitate life sexually, helping that life grow in a healthy matter. Organic life too, though Phoebe probably wouldn't understand the scale of it until she saw the city for herself.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
Partially because she was accepted...well that she could understand. "And you're the other part?" she guessed. Why else? If Frey was elusive to their cause, the accepted close to them must be the next best thing. That seemed logical anyways.

But as Frey rolled their eyes at the mention of Cian, she couldn't help but snicker. "Worse than I was?" she asked jokingly. "I picked up on that too though." Since working in the Halenani, she had become more adept at reading people - their unspoken wants and desires. Cian had been tense, reserved - she had credited it to his agenda but with Frey's perspective it struck her that it was a trait that went much deeper into his psyche. That Frey didn't directly answer her question...well...that was very Frey. Apparently the answer wouldn't help her yet.

Their suggestion was not solid enough though. It was based on what she wanted, not them. Not really anyways. As they stroked her hair, she leaned her head into their head. "What about the brothel?" she asked. That at least she knew was near and dear to Frey's heart, and so she had poured her own into making it a haven for those who did their work.

Change author:
FREY
"Don't sell yourself short puddin' pop. It isn't me, it's what you are to me." Frey corrects with a warm smile, their fingers continuing to play with her hair as they were so often want to do.

Nodding—yes, much worse actually—they simply let Phoebe work out her own views of the emotionally blue-balled leader of the Order. "You go where you feel you want to be, sugarplum. Unlike the others I'm not here to mold you into some ridiculous hero. The work you do will be pleasing wherever you focus your efforts. The brothel here, brightening up the city in Stormbreak..." They shrug their broad shoulders. "No doubt you'll find they have their own ways of motivating you to their side." Which was Frey's way of saying that they'd not complicate things by adding in extra goals or rules for Phoebe to abide.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
Phoebe smiled at Frey warmly, though her concern was still evident enough. "That's what worries me. That they might try to use me to manipulate you." she said plainly. Because that was what people did. That was how politics amongst humans worked. And the last thing she ever wanted was to be used against Frey in that manner. Phoebe reached out to gently hold Frey's free hand in both of hers. A human gesture, but she was indeed human.

"Well that's good, because I am far from any sort of hero." Phoebe said with a laugh. Heroes were big and strong and fearless defenders of lofty ideals. The Midwife turned Madame was just a young woman trying to do what she could for those she could. And though one of those she tried to help was indeed a god, her efforts were of a very human sort, nothing bards would sing ballads about in years to come. She supposed she could honestly travel between the two places. A portal would likely eventually be opened to Stormbreak (or perhaps Frey would give her some other means by which to travel) and the brothel didn't need her attention all the time now that precedents had been set and rules established. But what Frey said gave her pause.

"What sort of ways?" she asked, feeling her worry begin to bubble up.

Change author:
FREY
Frey snorts at that, shaking their head and fixing the blonde with an amused look. "You're good honeybunch and I do like you, but not so much as to be manipulated by you."

Allowing their hand to be taken with a bit of an amused smirk. "Oh, they have their ways. Persuasion, bribery, blackmail, torture..." Frey shrugs their shoulders. "You know. All the sorts of tricks you'd expect from your kind." They give Phoebe a bit of a smirk, before petting her hair reassuringly. "I doubt it'll come to that with you, my little Nightingale. I think you'd bend fairly easily under torture, but it wouldn't get them what they wanted. You my love, are best tempted by the carrot, and not the rod."

Then, with an entirely lascivious smile added, "Not that sort of rod, anyway."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
Others may have been hurt or offended but such a statement - to be liked but not enough for such and such thing. But for Phoebe, it was a relief, and a smile spread across her features. "Good. I'm glad." she said with a light laugh herself. It was the sort of thing a human might try, so it was comforting to know that such things weren't going to compel the god to act against their own desires.

She frowned a little as they went on at length about all the sorts of ways this Order might try to earn her favor. Thinking back to her meeting with Cian, his distant gaze and seeming amusement (or was it haughty disinterest?) at her attempts to deny his claims, she could see him being capable of any of those things. And that realization made her gut clench with fear; for he had been all sorts of perfectly charming and amiable out of context. "If information is all they want, they wouldn't need to anyways. I'm a terrible liar." she said with a sigh, brows furrowing. Her thumbs traced circles along Frey's hand, as if to ground herself as she tried to quell the inner panic - and possible over reaction - at the realization of just how dangerous this Order could be.

Frey's joke did pull her from her anxiousness from a moment, laughing and nodding in agreement. "By carrot you mean bribery?" she guessed, looking up at them. "What sorts of things do you think they'd try to bribe me with? And for what purpose?" That was the bit she still couldn't quite put her finger on. She was no fighter. She wasn't exactly close with any living Ascended. Frey would not bend their stance for her if it was counter to their own interests. Truly, if they were preparing for some sort of conflict, a menagerie of purposeless demigods would do them no good...right?

Change author:
FREY
"Well, then I suppose you've nothing to fear. Unless, like all mortals tend to, they have ulterior motives." Frey says with a chuckle. They weren't concerned though, thinking that information and a bit of assistance was all the Order would probably need of Phoebe. As they'd all pointed out by now, Phoebe was no soldier. It wasn't as though she'd be shipped off to the front lines of whatever the Order had planned anyways.

Probably.

"Yes, that is what that's meant to imply." They say with a grin, rolling their eyes a touch at her. "Oh, their medical systems are more advanced. They might offer knowledge in exchange." Frey muses. "Perhaps you'll have to ask that should you meet with them again." The deity replies with a vague shrug.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
Ulterior motives...there was another thing to worry about. And really, therein lay the danger. She did't know enough about them, nor was she experienced enough in any sort of warfare as a participant to even begin to imagine what sort of ulterior motives she could play into. For the time being, it seemed her only saving grace was that Frey favored her, and that made her more useful alive than dead.

Probably.

Again, Frey gives hints and clues but nothing outright. Whatever it is she is seeking, apparently the deity does not think she needs to know or fret about. Not that it would stop her from fretting, but it was comforting. If Frey was truly concerned, she would know it would show on their features; just as it had when the blight was spreading through the Hollowed Ground and Greatwood. "Thank you for all you have told me, Frey. I will try and get answers from them...though something tells me that will be easier said than done." she said with a small smile, squeezing their hand. She never liked when they needed to part, but she was just a blip in Frey's landscape. They had plenty of other things to attend to and could not simply spend their days with her. Oh, but wouldn't that be lovely?

"I suppose I shouldn't keep you any longer. Thank you for coming to speak with me Frey." she said, smiling at them warmly.

Change author:
FREY
"Nearly everything is easier said than done." They remark with a wide grin. But whoever said easy was fun?

"Stop overthinking, poppet. You'll give yourself ulcers." So saying the deity reached out to gently press their finger against Phoebe's nose, before disappearing in a warm spring breeze.

~FIN