pour one out for our ghosts
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
There's gonna come a day when you'll feel better
You'll rise up free and easy on that day
The walk to the house at the end of the road is as familiar to you as breathing, yet there's something rather butterfly-inducing about doing it hand in hand with someone you like. Or maybe that's just the day-old whiskey talking. Yeah, let's say it's that.

You reach the house and ascend the steps. "I've been a helluva lot drunker'n that." For those first months after Ray died - hell, first next year or more - you spent more time at the bottom of a bottle than anywhere else. These days you're generally a high-functioning alcoholic; hangovers are a young man's game. Letting go of her hand a moment, you reach out for the door knob-

-and then abruptly remember that Sam might be there, and that you had a very awkward conversation with him, and that as much as you aren't insanely hungover, you also aren't prepared to deal with that.

So you hesitate, slowly pushing open the door and peering in almost furtively. "Red?" you call out, voice hoarse, popping your head around. "Ya here? Or... or up?" Pausing long enough to verify that there isn't going to be an answer, you let a sigh of relief slip from you before fully opening up the door. "Well, here it is. Home sweet home."
And float from branch to branch, lighter than the air
Just when that day is coming, who can say?
zephyr
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
and I loved you so much it was making me sick
It’s absolutely, categorically that. Couldn’t be anything else at all, right? Right. Vai follows him up the steps, letting out a chuckle at the (un)surprising knowledge that he had been drunker than how she’d found him the previous evening. ”Oh I have no doubt,” she says; she’s been there too, though probably not for the same flavour of tragedy. An alcoholic she might not be, but any excuse for a good time and Vai is there.

Still, as Zeph pauses and seems to almost try and sneak into his own home, Vai raises an eyebrow. ”Are you worried your lodger will know you’re bringing a girl home?” she says with a giggle, eventually following him inside and glancing about for ‘Red’ or whoever else might be available.

”You know, it has been a long time since I’ve been in a proper house,” she murmurs. ”Remi’s place doesn’t count, it’s practically an office building.”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Are you worried. There's a loaded question you're not sure how to answer, because yeah, yeah you're fucking worried, given your last conversation with Sam. And part of you wonders if he'll wonder if she's the reason you didn't want to try it out with him, all of you doesn't want any part of that conversation right now (or ever).

"'s fine. Didn't wanna s'prise him's all. He's had a rough go."

And that's all you have to say about that.

The house is relatively clean thanks to Sam, certainly not indicative of harboring two bachelors. You put the groceries on the table by the kitchen, showing her the pots and pans and setting some coffee on the stove before kissing her cheek and heading towards the semi-outdoor shower, ready to clean off the last of last night - physically, at least.
zephyr
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Zeph doesn’t offer much information and Vai doesn’t ask - they’re both old enough and grown up enough (sort of) to know better than to dig into things that ask to be left alone. So instead she follows him into the kitchen, glancing around with pleasant surprise at how much there is to work with - compared to the woods, anyway - and moving to get out pans and plates and other utensils. Leaning automatically into the kiss on her cheek, she grins and reaches out to pat Zeph on the ass as he leaves. For good measure, of course.

By the time he’s done showering it will be to the smell of cooking sausages and eggs, and soon-to-be hash browns. Vai works through the kitchen as though she’s been in it her whole life (because how different are they to each other really?), and she takes the coffee off the stove to pour it into two mugs ready for his return.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
You emerge from your shower to what must surely be someone else's house, because there's the smell of eggs and sausage and coffee wafting from a stovd behind which stands a gorgeous woman and it's all far too idyllic and beautiful to be your shitty life.

Pulling the towel more snugly over your hips (you didn't bother with anything else - she's seen it all, and you're not modest) you step into this weird perfect dream and grab a mug of fresh made coffee, raising it to your lips with a happy sigh. "Yer a goddess," you murmur, waking over to stand behind her and breathe in the heavenly smell like an eager child. An eager child who pulls her hair back and begins to kiss her neck, free arm slipping around her waist, coffee extended for her to have a sip. Eager adult. "Need help?"

Yup. Help. That's what you're doing now. Not being a distracting pain in the ass.
zephyr
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
She glances over her shoulder to see him approach the coffee like he’s a man dying of thirst in an oasis, and Vai can’t help but laugh softly. ”If that’s true, I’m a hungry goddess with a foul mouth,” she informs him, giving the hash browns a stir and making sure everything is cooking along nicely before suddenly he’s pulling her hair. Lips parting to give him a sample of that foul mouth, she’s silenced by the heat of lips on her neck, the arm around her waist. And most of all, the offer of coffee.

”I think your help might be dangerous,” she informs him with a devious grin, leaning in to sip at the coffee and closing her eyes like it might be the best thing she’s ever tasted. Still, she’s leaning back against his bare chest, reaching up a free hand to caress his cheek. ”You can help by eating it,” she decides. ”And by giving me that kiss you owe me.”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
Your hand is gentle but firm on her hair, your mouth following the curve of her neck up past her shoulders, behind the shell of her ear. "Mmm," you reply to her assessment of the danger, pulling her closer against your chest. "Spice'a life." Your hand slips up beneath her shirt, skirting over bare skin. The towel wrapped around your waist does absolutely nothing to hide the heat in your groin.

You might have gone further, except that your stomach takes that moment to loudly announce its hunger. With one last kiss to her cheek you let go, moving back to set out forks and knives and plates upon the table. Milk and sugar, too - you're not a total heathen, even if you do take your coffee black.

Then, feeling rather mystified and grateful, you sink down into your chair.
zephyr
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
”Mm, you’re right there,” Vai mumbles, finding herself melting back against him, her concentration on breakfast lapsing somewhat. Luckily he decides against sticking around to help more - and they have his rumbling stomach to thank for it - allowing her to finish up and get the food onto plates. That done, she sinks down beside him, adding milk and sugar to her coffee (some people might be sweet enough, but Vai is a bitter bitch sometimes and needs all the help she can get) and shooting him a sunny smile.

”You’re not going to wake up again,” she says jokingly; the look on his face suggests that he thinks he might be dreaming. ”Dig in. Though, I’ll admit - I didn’t expect my first experience of a ramphire to be in sausage form.”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
She sits beside you instead of across, and a small part of you is inordinately pleased because it means you can press another kiss to her temple before digging into your food. "Wouldn't wanna wake up from this"

You cut a large portion of the sausage off and dip it in the egg, scooping up potatoes to make a truly monsterous serving which is immediately shoved into your mouth. At least you close your lips to chew. "Mmmmm," you him around the mouthful, eyes falling closed in appreciation. "I finally feel human again."

Human enough to slip your foot against hers under the table, running toes playfully over her heel.
zephyr
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
”Shut up,” Vai grumbles to try and distract away from the fact that his comment has made her blush, and she seizes her own knife and fork to dig in to breakfast. Whilst her bite is not nearly as monstrous, Zeph will not find in Vai the delicate sort of lady who nibbles at her meal and leaves it unfinished. The witch has lived outside most of her life - she leaves no survivors on her plate.

Sighing out her agreement to avoid having to pause in eating, her shoulders slump and she nods to him. ”You picked well,” she says of the ingredients, only for an eyebrow to arch as she feels his toes tickle at the back of her heel. ”You be careful there, sir,” Vai warns him playfully, even as her bare foot ghosts up over the back of his leg. ”I’ve got ticklish feet and I’ve been known to kick like a mule.”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Warning heard," you chuckle before intaking another mouthful of food. Still your body doesn't leave hers; even as you take to your meal in earnest you keep your leg pressed against hers, the towel offering little by way of shield between her and you.

So you leave things until your plates are empty and your bellies full. And when that happens you're quick to push the plates away, scooting your chair back from the table far enough to allow room for two.

"Now," you declare, reaching out to pull her toward you, "That I am fed'n sober, I believe I owe ya a debt." Assuming she's risen to her feet you will now ease her into your lap, bright eyed and clearly wide awake, a wicked smile on your lips. "An' you'll find, Madam Vervain, that I am a man who always repays what he owes."
zephyr
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
They settle into a comfortable silence as they eat, playing footsie under the table like teenagers, and Vervain finds herself smiling despite it all. Despite the awful evening that had led to this - and whilst she didn’t go through what Zeph went through, she does know it was beyond awful. Despite sleeping on the docks, despite the rain and his hangover. And as they finish and he pushes the plates away and scoots his chair back, she raises her eyebrows in brief confusion.

Then he’s tugging her to her feet, Vai letting out a peal of laughter and setting comfortably in Zeph’s lap, arms draping around his shoulders. ”I believe you do,” she agrees with a wicked smile. ”That wasn’t what you were calling me yesterday,” she remarks, though she doesn’t let him in on that secret. Not when there are debts to claim.

And claim it she does, Vai tilting up his chin and leaning in to kiss him with the same softness, the same warmth as before. It might not be a kiss he remembers - but she certainly does.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
You're pretty sure you don't want to know what you called her the night before, though based on her smile you feel somewhat reassured that it at least wasn't cruel. Gods, what is she even doing here after the mess you were, feeding you breakfast and now draped across your lap? After six years of bad luck and shit fortune, you still can't quite believe that any of this is real.

You don't remember what you called her, but you do remember the kiss. Or at least, you remember the idea of it, the wanting for it, the way it felt to hold her close and press that meaning between your lips. You meant it then and you mean it now as you reach up to cup her cheek with one hand, the other shifting around the small of her back.

She tastes like meat and coffee and last night's whiskey, and you're pretty sure you've never tasted anything more beautiful. There is no urgency to the exchange, no panting passion and aching need, no pressing tongues and pawing hands. This is a kiss between two adults, a question and a promise re-avowed in the light of day.

Still as you draw away you feel a little breathless, your heart racing eagerly in your chest. Smiling a crooked, boyish smile, you look up through warm almond eyes and run your thumb down the angle of her chin. "That's a good start. Now tell me what else ya need."
zephyr
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
It feels like a beginning, this kiss. Like a trip and a stumble into something that she can’t see the bottom of, but she finds that she doesn’t really mind. Vai has always been that way - a woman of the wilds, able to bend and flow with the wind - and whatever has caused her to blow into Zeph’s lap? Well, she can only be grateful for it. Humming against his lips, against the warmth of coffee and the sweet tang of whiskey, her fingers twine through the back of his hair, holding him close even as they part.

His thumb ghosts across her chin and she turns her head to nip playfully at his hand, a crooked smile of her own curling across her face. ”It was more than a good start,” she assures him, taking a second to appreciate him in the sober light of day. Out of the woods, off the beach, away from the bonfires; in the warm domesticity of a kitchen, wearing nothing but a towel and smiling up at her like that? Yeah, Vai is smitten.

”Everything I need is right here,” she murmurs, winking mischievously. ”But if you wouldn’t mind, I would like a grand tour of the place. One that culminates in your bed, given that we just spent a night on the docks in the rain.” Would they be sleeping? Fucking? Both? Time will tell.