in the eye of a hurricane there is quiet
open
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
don't you know we're outlaws
givin' the finger to death itself
I’m really pushin’ it this time, ain’t I? You can practically see the stormclouds on the horizon as I begin to haul the sandbags from the large cart of sandbags right outside the Hanged Man’s door. Had to borrow a donkey an’ a cart an’ everything, but we got it. Guess that expansion should wait until after monsoon season anyway, I think as I squat down to pick up a bag and throw it over my shoulder. It needs to be at least waist high, one or two bags deep. It’s the only major problem with having a bar on the beach - storms.

With one row done, I begin on the second, eyeing the bags and wondering if I’ll need some more. Might need some support for the walls too - you never can tell ahead of time. Luckily most others have already finished their preparations so there should be some extra lumber lying around somewhere...
we got no one to hide from
no one to toast our health
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE
so take me to the paradise in your eyes
green like american money
It's the last possible moment to be getting preparations up, dark clouds on the horizon, the sun a dream they're all going to be having for at least the foreseeable future. At least it isn't Longnight, though that might be preferable in Torchline. Nate is walking the streets, a wheelbarrow of supplies and tools being carted around, ready to help whoever has left things this late, which is thankfully not too many people.

But the bar, of course the bar, arguably one of the most important places in town, is still in progress, and he wheels up, already moving to grab some sandbags and help finish off the walls. "Nice day for it, isn't it?" He offers cheerily to the barkeep. "Does anything else need to be done?" Far be it for him to step on any toes, or at least, any more toes. Might as well ask and not assume.
you taste just right
sweet like tennessee honey
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
“Nothin’ like a stiff breeze to light a fire under yer ass.” And there’s a stiff breeze alright, as I spare a glance out to sea. Some years the monsoons ease on in and others start with a bang. This one looks like it’ll be the latter. Joy of joys. Tryin’ not to make any remarks about his eye, though I definitely might have thought a couple of not particularly nice things about Nate, I have to say this - he’s a good one to have around when things need to be lifted.

“Actually, if you could do the sandbags, I’ll reinforce the walls.” Not in any danger of tweakin’ any muscles now, is he? And since the last thing I need is to be dealin’ with back strains right now, I pull a handful of nails out’a his cart and grab some’a the longer boards and take to the walls of the Hanged Man. Starting on the sides, I begin to hold the boards up and nail ‘em in at appropriate places, allowing for some give ‘n take with the wind.

Not much can stop the ferocity of some winds, perhaps I’m just tryin’ to mitigate the inevitable damage I feel deep in my gut.
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
If a stiff breeze lit a fire, he wonders what the gale force winds whipping around them ignited. It’s a question Nate keeps to himself though, unsure how to step with Raza, knowing the people she was allied with, their opinions on him. They’d never had any personal issues though, and he wasn’t about to start one with an ill advised joke.

Look at him. Learning.

”You got it boss.” Sandbags are easy, and it only makes sense for him to take over fully; he can move a lot more a lot faster than she can, without fear of hurting himself. Nate’s content to work in relative quiet too, getting lost in the repetitive motion of the task.

There’s enough bags left to make the retaining wall three bags high all across, a half finished fourth layer stretching partway across it. ”You want it higher? Or a hand with the uh, reinforcing?”
you taste just right
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Boss, ha. Dunno why I find it amusin’, but I do an’ chuckle quietly to myself. Maybe it’s because I’ve only ever been the boss’a a couple’a a people before this year. Didn’t need any more info than what came through this here door, but now there’s more an’ half-gutter rat Raza Ekambe is bein’ called boss.

At least the monsoons are still predictable.

“Yep. Put ‘em all on. If we need more, I got some empty bags in the back an’ we can fill ‘em.” It ain’t easy work, that’s for sure. Backbreaking, really. When did I get old? I’m poised to finish the nails in one’a the slats when the wind blows the top half’a a palm tree into me. It doesn’t really hurt, but I am surprised, dropping the nails with a curse. “Fuckin’ hell.” Luckily they’re easy to see an’ i can keep at it, but we’re gonna need to finish this more quickly than I thought.
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
It's rare that Nate works without complaint, without chatter, but right now he's leaning more towards speed, precision, than he is trying to keep himself entertained. The last of the sandbags he has filled get added to the top of the barrier, and then there's a mad scramble for the bar, the backroom, and the empty bags that are there. It isn't his bar, and he's spent less time at the Hanged Man than he'd thought, so it takes him a moment to find the bags.

He emerges from the bar just in time to hear a snap, the soft tones of metal hitting the ground. "Fuck, you okay?" The question leaves him while he bends down, gathering the nails in one hand and holding them out to Raza. If her answer is affirmative, he'll get back to his task - shovelling sand into the bags as fast as he can, so he can finish off the sandbag wall. If not, well, he is a doctor, and a few moments can be spared to look her over for injury.
you taste just right
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
“Yeh…” I saw blinking some stray sand and salt out’a my eyes. There are razor thin, shallow cuts on my cheeks where the leaves scratched me, but otherwise I’m fine. “Just some leaf-cuts. Nothin serious.” Shake it off, Raz, time is of the essence an’ all that. Takin’ the nails from Nate, I offer a tight-lipped smile. “Thanks. This is the last board, then I can help ya with the bags.” The work goes much more quickly with two people - so there’s that at least. My hands make the annual movements of battening down the hatches, my small pack of personal items waitin’ to be carried to Mik’s house on higher ground.

I help him put the last bags up, then throw the tools in the wheelbarrow. Just in time, it seems, as the waves comin’ up on the beach begin to get excessively big. I cross my fingers, grab my pack and take a kiss from my lips to the Hanged Man’s door. “Hang in there girl,” I whisper into the wind, before turning an’ helpin’ Nate get the stuff back up to Haulani as thanks.

(And yes, my bar is a lady, despite her name. My fool of a Pa wouldn't know a lady unless she sat on his face.)

- Fin!
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!