heartbeat on a high line
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI
the alchemist
Walk me home in the dead of night,
'Cause I can't be alone with all that's on my mind
Ludo's demands come regardless of the rain. It isn't easy for the Alchemist to navigate the streets during the monsoon, but he manages it well enough. He's soaked to the bone by the time he finds his mark—a man on the brink of the death, his skin broiled with disease and already bleeding out from a mugging gone horribly wrong—and his life slips away into Remi's hands with a grateful sigh. Despite the rain, Remi has blood on the front of his shirt and on his hands as he dashes into the Halenani.

Eyes closed as he shuts the door behind him, his curls a sopping mess that cover his eyes as he breathes heavily, Remi tries to still his frantically beating heart, knowing that back at home, Ronin is likely staring down at his hands and wondering just what is going on.
So say you'll stay with me tonight.
'Cause there is so much wrong going on outside
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825

Phoebe Steadman

I've dropped out, burned up
Fought my way back from the dead

"Remi?!"

Phoebe's voice rang clear with alarm as the Alchemist suddenly stepped into the brothel, soaked through with rain and blood. In stark contrast, the Madame stood near the front desk, dry and dressed in one of the flowy gowns that had become typical of her attire. But she did not waste a second more before hurrying to her friend's side. "Are you hurt?" He didn't seem distressed enough to be wounded in a way that would produce this much blood but...stranger things had happened in Caido.

"Come on, let's get you upstairs." she said, wrapping an arm around him to hopefully coax and guide him up to her attic apartment.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Inhaling as deeply as he dared but not wanting to flood his brain with too much oxygen lest he pass out, Remi nods vaguely. He doesn't need to open his eyes to know that it's Phoebe who has suddenly appeared before him. "It...Yes I'm fine. It isn't my blood." The words are dully-said, the Alchemist's eyelashes still firmly pressed shut.  

Ammenable enough to Phoebe's suggestion, Remi wraps an arm around her as he lets his eyes open enough to see the ground before him. He places one foot in front of the other, climbing the stairs easily and moving past rooms that sing songs of pleasurable encounters within, though he hardly hears them.

"Sorry about the mess." He says vaguely, knowing in the back of his mind that water has likely pooled by the front door and that blood has probably seeped onto the pretty dress Phoebe wears.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:

Phoebe Steadman

Mmm yes, because it being someone else's blood made this all the less alarming. Remi truly knew how to comfort a girl's worried heart now didn't he? "At least you're not bleeding out I suppose." Phoebe said with a sigh as they ascended the stairs. "Though it does beg the question of why you are covered in another person's blood?" she said, only have expecting an answer.

The fact that he seemed only partially concious of the world around him, if only for exhaustion's sake, was concerning though. He was the Governor for Frey's sake, did someone really have the gall to attack him? His apology was met with an amused laugh surprisingly enough. "Mess is the least of my concerns. Those can be cleaned up." she said. The hall could be dried, her dress could be cleaned or replaced.

Once in her apartment she guided him to a chair to sit in. "Clothes of, or you'll catch a cold." she said in a motherly manner, rummaging through an armoire for a few towels.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Remi hums a sound of acknowledgement, before swallowing to prepare his dry lips. "It's...what I do for Ludo." He answers in a low voice. It isn't much of an answer, but perhaps Phoebe will understand its implications. Only Ronin truly knows what it is the god asks of him (other than the herald itself), but there are others who have guessed, who have surmised.

Remi strips easily enough. It's Phoebe after all, and Remi has never been shy around women. Relieving himself of his bloodied and wet clothes, he reached out gratefully for the offered towel. Wrapping it around his waist, Remi sits down heavily on a bed, or chair, or even a ledge - whatever is flat and closest - and just lets his head hang. "It..isisn't normally this bad." He mumbles, swiping a hand through his curls to push them back from his face.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:

Phoebe Steadman

Oh.

Phoebe had never asked what Ludo's purpose with Remi was - it wasn't really her place to either. That was between him and the herald. It was about as personal as his underwear size she thought. But given the domain of the raggedy god, she could surmise at least in part what his duties might entail. She averted her gaze to give him a bit of privacy as he undressed and wrapped himself in a towel while she procured another. Phoebe draped it over his shoulders as he sat at her kitchen table.

"Are you alright?" she asked. Physically he was, but such tasks had a mental and emotional toll as well. Gently she used the towel to pat dry his hair, stepping away then to make him some tea. That at least would help to warm him and calm his nerves. While the kettle worked it's way to a boil, she brought him a small plate of various confections.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Chuckling darkly as Phoebe fussed over him, he took the towel from her hands as she went off somewhere behind him, roughly scrubbing at his curls which she'd been so carefully trying to dry. "I am. Or...I will be. That one was just...particularly hard." The man had cried out for his children, had given Remi a message to pass on to them. He would of course, but even the Alchemist had the sense not to show up with final-words while covered in the blood of a loved one.

"I understand what and why I have to do the things for Ludo, it's just..." Tugging in a deep breath and turning around so he could watch Phoebe putter about, he exhales it slowly. "It just takes its toll, sometimes."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:

Phoebe Steadman

The kettle whistled and the Madame was right there to pick it up. She poured it over the mix she had prepared him - a special mix to calm his nerves - fixing it up the way she remembered he liked his tea. She hummed in quiet understanding, eyes focused on the task at hand lest she burn herself. But her mind wandered, memories of the blood soaked snow, her stained and tattered dress, the first LongNight that had taught them all just how cruel this world could be. "You've survived a few LongNights. I'm not worried that you'll pull through this, too." she said softly, finally returning to his side and setting the tea on the table before him.

Silently, she sank into her chair next to him, honeyed gaze watching his expression. She sighed, looking down at the table then. "That feeling...the toll...it never really goes away." she said. Phoebe had seen her fair share of death as a midwife after all - the numerous faces of women and children, lost for one reason or another. The questioning that followed - if death truly was the only option - it never really went away. "But at least you know it is merciful. That their souls will rest in peace with Mort. Ludo taught me that once...and it is a solace we never had in Northaven." she said softly.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
But he hadn't survived the death of his daughter, not really. She neglected to mention that. Grunting in agreement Remi reaches for the mug of tea, humming a note of appreciation under his breath as he wraps his hands around the warm cup.

"Loss is...it's hard not to feel responsible. I know it's merciful, but...it.." He doesn't have the words to describe how he feels. It feels like murder that's justified. It doesn't always feel merciful, not when he thinks there are things he could do to save the lives he takes. Would they die another way? Sure, perhaps. But it seemed to him akin to refusing medical aid, just because we all die one day.

"I...didn't know you'd ever met Ludo." Raising his stormy-green gaze, he frowns softly at Phoebe.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:

Phoebe Steadman

No one had really survived after the deaths of those at the last Fiat Lux. Not in full anyways.

"But you're still the one to make the final decision." she said softly, finishing his sentence. She looked at him, brown eyes wide but lips set in a slight frown. "When I was still an apprentice, my teacher told me something that helped me cope a little better when I lost patients." she said, closing her eyes briefly to help her recount her words. "One of your most important tasks is not so much to prevent death, but to be a comforting presence so they don't die alone and afraid." she said, opening her eyes again as she slumped back in her chair. "That you are with these people when they die is truly a great mercy."

Phoebe nodded, eyes looking down at the table. "Twice. Once, after the Palmer's were murdered. And once after I miscarried." she said quietly. She knew Remi did not recognize that loss as...a loss, really. But she still carried it with her every day, and she always kept a small candle lit for that little one. "They turned a stuffed rabbit I had made for my baby into a little spirit bunny that roams the Greatwood and comforted me. The boys..." she paused, focusing on keeping her composure. She had not talked about her nephews in a long time, and she did not want to cry in front of Remi. "They had a puzzle box they would fill with treats and leave on the window sill. Ludo would take it and return it open and empty."

"I believe more than anyone, Ludo embraces the mercy that is death in the wake of lives that can be far too cruel or short. Perhaps that is why this is the task they have given you." she added softly.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
He doesn't want to argue this point; not with Phoebe, not with anyone (save perhaps Ludo, one day). But it isn't the same. It isn't the same as a delivery gone wrong; those are moments already set into motion. But how is he meant to feel, looking up the faces of children drowning, when all he needs to do is take them to shore where they could live?

"Oh.." Ignorant because of his circumstances and his physicality, he doesn't understand the debt of loss the midwife felt, and still feels. Though after losing Aoife, his feelings on the impacts of death have certainly changed. "That's...really sweet, actually." Remi says of the rabbit.

"Perhaps." Remi murmurs, though doesn't sound as though he completely agrees. Maybe that's for the best—part of the reason he has the quest from Ludo that he does is precisely because he doesn't feel about death the way he should. At least his aversion is on the healthier side of things.

"Is everything alright here? Roof holding?" Outside the horrific downpour seems a world away, the thick panels of fabric on the walls and beds absorbing much of the sound.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:

Phoebe Steadman

Phoebe smiled and nodded a bit in agreement. "You can still see it hopping about the Greatwood on occasion. It may only be an illusion but...it comforts me." It was a sort of life given to the child she would never have or meet or know. That something that would have been theirs was somewhere in the world existing gave her some small comfort that she could not fully explain. At least Remi didn't seem too keen on delving into it very deeply, and she was glad for the topic to move on to something else.

Her head tilted up to look at the ceiling as he mentioned the roof. "So far so good here. Your help in preparing the place surely is partially the reason." she said with a grin. Phoebe also thought that perhaps Frey had created the place with a little extra durability, not only because of all that would occur within the Halenani's walls, but because they knew of the monsoons to come. The brothel and its workers were all very precious to Frey after all.

Speaking of Frey.

"I asked Frey about the men we met. They said they are called The Order." she said, looking back at her friend again.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Rubbing at his eyes, having little to no energy to discuss matters that would eventually bring his mind back to Finn, the Alchemist just mumbles something under his breath. It sounds like I know, but who could say.

Raising his mug to his lips and draining the last of the liquid, he sets it down heavily in a way that seems to speak to his inner weariness. "Sorry." He mumbles. "I'm not much for conversation just now." In fact, now that his heart has slowed and he can think a touch more clearly, he really should be going.

"Maybe you can come by the house, and we can talk about it? Ronin's...err.. liaison had more to say about the city as well."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:

Phoebe Steadman

Phoebe tilted her head slightly, frowning a bit at Remi's mumbling and plain as day exhaustion. He had been through a lot, that much was clear. Perhaps the subject was better left to another time, when he had a chance to recover from his ordeal. The Nightingale smiled and nodded at his offer to pay him and Ronin a vist. "I will make a point of it. We should all be on the same page - once you've had a chance to rest up." she said.

Then she stood to walk him back down to the door of the Halenani, his soiled things in a bag and an umbrella offered so he could stay partially dry as he made his way home.

--FIN