Training tempered
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my whole life is mine, but whoever says so will deprive me,
for it is infinite.
Amun had been keeping his head down recently. Although he felt guilty for not being there for his family after Rexanna's death, he'd managed to piss off enough of them with his shitty attitude that he wasn't sure if his presence was truly welcome. Perhaps that was why the strikes of his practice sword were a little more aggressive than usual. Zhanshi was chewing on some dirt nearby, his own bites aggressive as well.

If anyone was watching closely, they'd notice something strange about the dull metal blade the potter was using. It would seem to waver, extend, and thicken, moving in a way that metal shouldn't. His brow was furrowed with concentration as he tried to practice using his newest upgrade in the middle of attacks. His arms were adorned with metal bracers, thicker than usual, which he was planning to experiment with later.

Wessex
by being moved I exert my empire,
making the dreams of night real
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
after all is said and done
you're just a carnivore
let you in and drink my blood
you're nothing but a monster

Wessex, the all-seeing and very observant, does not in fact notice the shifting sword.

She does, however, notice his fancy bracers. They remind her of Ru’s, and she’s immediately curious. And then there’s the… landshark? Because Astor can’t remember if W’s met Zhanshi or not. Wandering over towards Amun, she waves a bit to grab his attention and then approaches once he stops practicing with the sword.

“New jewelry, new… companion?” She is visibly unsure about the landshark. Man, the Ascended manage to get themselves some interesting companions. And speaking of - Loki comes barelling out of the sky towards her, happily screeching, evidence of a fresh kill on her claws. Wessex has begun to insist she get her own food now, and every kill is loudly announced so she can be praised. The little dragonling is also very curious about the baby landshark, diverting her attention from her bonded to the other companion, landing and snuffling forward to investigate.

“I guess we have some catching up to do.”
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
for it is infinite.
Wessex wouldn't have much trouble getting Amun's attention. In fact, as soon as Zhanshi noticed the Wraith, the little landshark made a beeline straight for her. The potter was quick on his companion's heels (well, tail), and before Zhanshi could nibble on Wessex's toes, Amun's hands closed around the landshark. "No biting!" The potter's voice came out in a fondly exasperated tone.

When he was sure she was safe from his companion's predation, Amun released Zhanshi. By then, the landshark had been distracted by the dragonling's arrival. Happily, the potter's companion went to circle the ground around Loki, as if sensing they were kindred spirits.

Amun raised his eyebrows at the sight, then glanced at Wessex. "Old jewelry, new companion. I could say the same about you." The words came out with a great deal of amusement.

As she mentioned they'd need to catch up, he nodded slowly. Retrieving the sword he'd dropped in his frantic dash to get Zhanshi, the potter raised it to a guard position. "Shall we catch up while you beat the crap out of me?" He chuckled, the sound dark and low.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

“He…?” is the landshark a he? A she? How does one even tell its sex? The same could be said for most of the mythical companions, but shhhhh let’s handwave that. “... is kinda cute,” she says after a moment, trying to get past the whole a landshark killed Edy and I’m forever bitter thing. “What’s his name?”

“Mmmm, that’s Loki,” she says with a smile when asked about her own companion, gaze drifting to watch the two play and assuming they’ll be just fine. Between teeth and claws they’ll likely keep each other in line. It comes back to Amun when he takes the sword up again, smile widening into genuine amusement. “If we could feel pain, I’d say you're a bit of a masochist, but since we can’t…” she shrugs. “I hope it’s more for you than just getting beat up.” Like, in that he’s actually learning something from them.

It's an invitation the Wraith can't refuse, so she doesn’t hesitate, or even try to maneuver into position. Calling both of their shadows up, hers leaps to push on Amun at his hip while his own reaches up to pull his shoulder’s down, all done without her moving much at all.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
"He is kinda cute. As is Loki." Amun gave the dragonling an approving nod. "And his name is Zhanshi." Zhanshi spun around at the sound of his name, and the potter smiled at his companion. The landshark nipped at the air before returning his attention to Loki.

Grinning at Wessex, Amun shrugged. "Nothing wrong with a bit of masochism. But don't worry, I'm learning. Slowly, but surely." As shadows rose up to grip Amun, his eyes widened. Struggling, he found it difficult to rip himself free from them. However, he managed to shift his sword to his left hand and lift his right.

Then he fired his flashbang straight at her. Even if he didn't manage to stun her, hopefully the bright light would temporarily deprive her of shadows to play with. If it didn't, he was going to have to start getting creative. After the flashbang sped out of his hand, he resumed his struggles against the shadows. Using every ounce of strength available to him, he would try to escape.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

Zhanshi. She tries it aloud, softly, the name feeling very foreign in her mouth, very Outlanderish and borderline appropriate for such an unusual companion. Regardless of their name, Loki seems to take to them and as they go off together, the Wraith’s attention is left on Amun.

He does seem to be learning, shadows countered with that damn flashbang that does, indeed, stun her a bit. It lessens her concentration on the shadows, but the light doesn’t make them disappear. If he had created darkness, that would be another story, but alas, it isn’t so. His own shadow lessens his grip and falters while Wessex’s tries to hold on, but even that would be dubious. He is likely easily strong enough to get away, if he can evade the grasping hands. This was all about the element of surprise.

Shaking her head to clear the light, the Wraith finds she’s forgotten about her Backlash Upgrade - whatever damage she’s taken from the flashbang will reflect back on Amun - and twice as bad. For a moment, she feels bad about it, but then she figures he can take it. Amun knows what he’s getting into when he spars with her, and she is terribly curious to see how the upgrade works.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
As soon as the flashbang erupted, Amun found his senses overwhelmed even though it wasn't anywhere near him. Staggering a few steps, deaf, dumb, and blind, he couldn't see, let alone react to his surroundings. Panic swept over him, panic that Zhanshi reacted to by whirling around and making a beeline away from Loki and towards Wessex.

Although the landshark couldn't transmit that much information to the potter, he managed to get some images from his companion. So, acting more on instinct than training, Amun thrust out the hand holding his sword. Tapping into another upgrade, it seemed to waver and lengthen strangely. Eventually, it resolved itself into a chain with a blade on the end, which was hopefully speeding towards the Wraith.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

Loki is used to her bonded and her fights, she no longer feels the need to swoop down and save the day like she did in Leafchange, spewing energy blasts helter skelter. Mostly she just looks after the landshark’s departure with a curious chirp, as if she were the older sister wondering what all the fuss is about.

Zhanshi’s flicker of movement draws her attention and she has to avoid the companion’s teeth. It’s a successful distraction (and she admits that she doesn’t often have split her attention between her ankles and above her waist), causing her to miss the transformation Amun forces on the blade. What she excepts is a sword - but what she gets is a far more flexible weapon, which ends up nicking her upper arm as she spins back to see what her opponent is doing.

So there’s backlash there from that, but she tries to dodge the rest of the makeshift weapon and teleport to behind Amun instead, ready to attack from the back.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun was just blinking the last of the sparkles out of his eyes and the ringing of his ears was just fading when Wessex disappeared. Growling in annoyance, he spun around in a circle as Zhanshi did the same. However, the potter was slower to react than he would've been, half-stunned as he still was and as a cut unexpectedly opened up on his upper arm.

Putting that out of his mind, he was too late to stop her from completing whatever attack she'd been in the middle of when she appeared behind him. However, he tapped into his upgrade again. This time, the metal from his bracelets joined the chain. He dismissed the blade as he whipped the chain towards her, trying to trap her and coil it around her with his upgrade and his motions working together.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

Loki fully sits this one out, watching with curiosity as landshark and its bonded turn on her own, eyes whirling in excitement. If she were a human child she’d laugh and clap her hands, caught up in the flashes and noise of the combat.

As he whips around, Wessex notices the chan flying in an arc and scoots back, lifting her left arm and unsheathing her talons to block it. The chain lands on her talons, wrapping around those, rather than her body. Presented with two opportunities, the demigoddess makes a quick decision and steps back again, pulling at her own arm, yanking the chain as hard as she can to jerk Amun off balance and towards her. A feral grin spreads across her face as she does so, enjoying the new element she's forced to reckon with.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
As Wessex tangled the chain around her claws, Amun completed his turn. However, he didn't have time to plant his feet or react (not that it would've helped with the discrepancies between their strength) before she yanked him forward. He stumbled forward, slamming into the ground and getting pulled directly towards her.

Growling in annoyance he activated his upgrade again. Which let him manipulate any metal that he was touching, and any metal that metal was touching. So he had the chain turn into a mesh that he tried to wrap around any part of her that he could access, restricting her movements.

And he tried to manipulate the claws his chain was touching into a gauntlet or glove of sorts, on that wouldn't let Wessex use her fingers. He also fused it to the metal of the chain and mesh as best he could. All the while, he slid along the ground, gathering minor injuries that didn't hurt.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

Watching her claws change before her eyes (and let’s say it’s the outer part, because the inner part changing might actually rip her lower arm apart), Wessex’s eyes widen in surprise, fully realizing what his upgrade does. There’s now a heavy metal mesh-glove-glob thing on her hand and unless Amun lets go of his end, they’re going to be stuck together. Which could easily go either way.

With a feral sort of amused expression (delight at how far he’s come is most definitely in there somewhere), she slows down and stops pulling, waiting for him to get back on his feet and either continue the spar or call it quits. Beating up on a friend while they’re on the ground isn’t fun, and it isn’t effective, either. With no point to prove this time around, she has a few questions on the tip of her tongue.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
When Amun finally slid to a stop on the floor beside Wessex he tensed for another blow. Still gripping his end of the metal net chain mesh thing, he scrambled away from her. When no blow fell though, he paused. Grinning up at her, he chuckled. "I wore you out, huh?"

Taking another beat, he finally levered himself to his feet. Wincing at the damage to her claw, he gripped the metal with both hands. "One second." His brow furrowed in concentration. Slowly, much more slowly than he destroyed them, he repaired the claws, trying to straighten them out to what he remembered. Only when he was sure he'd gotten it right did he remove the extra metal.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

“Or beating you up while you’re on the ground isn’t a lot of fun,” Wessex shoots back with a light tone, the chain stretched taught between them. “I can keep going -” she offers, then looks to her hand. “But I’m also curious about this.” It appears that they’ve come to an end, and she offers her hand for him to fix, watching in silent, intense observation while he does his work. When he finishes, the Wraith wiggles the fingers between the blades and then clenches her fist with slow, easy pressure, watching closely as the blades slide back into her arm, seemingly good as new.

“So is it an upgrade or the bracers themselves?”