whisk away your heartsigh
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
why else love if not to feel the stars exploding in our veins?
Some things are the same.

The Amalia who stands in front of the Governor's House looks, for all intents and purposes, identical to the one who stood on the bluffs scarcely a week ago. There is no new wound to mar her skin, no noted change in her hair, her clothes. She still carries with her a well-worn bag, still has a shield slung over her back. Uncertainty still radiates off her as she knocks upon the door, rapping in three successive taps before dropping her hand to the hilt of the sword that hangs down at her side.

Some things are different.

Like the sword, a marked shift from the staff she usually lugs around. Different, too, is the way she stands: a little bit straighter, a little more reserved, her usual anxiety dampened and replaced by a new sort of maturity which she wears like a cloak. Even Jyoti seems subdued in her place upon the Shield's shoulder, crooning softly as they wait for the door to open and light to spill out into the dark rain.

Damp hair cascades over tense shoulders, plastered to her face; she pushes a lock back with the heel of her hand, glad for the downpour and its ability to hide her trembling. She came here to be vulnerable, but when you've spent your whole life guarded, vulnerability is hard.
Amalia
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
RONIN

Remi has told Ronin about his spat with Amalia on the beach. He’s also told him that the Shield might well be coming to live stay with them. So while the events of the last week are unknown to him - the demigodhood, the death, the fire - he’s aware that his friend is not feeling particularly sunny.

Still, that doesn’t mean Ronin is going to tone himself down even a small bit. Whilst Amalia stands tall and proud under the weight of her new responsibility, Ronin answers the door in pants that are covered in flour with pancake batter smeared across his cheek. He wears no shoes and the right shoulder of his t-shirt has been shredded to fuck from an enthusiastic dragon trying to fight with him over food.

”Ama,” he says warmly, stepping out into the downpour with starlight radiating from his form, reaching out to wrap her up in a hug that dwarfs her form, squashes Jyoti and gets her covered in flour too. ”Come on in. I was just cleaning up.”
soft spoken with a broken jaw
we step outside, but not to brawl
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
There's something weirdly comforting in the sight of Ronin thoroughly tousled and covered in flour, beaming (literally) with warmth and light. The open honesty of it is a balm, hitting her harder than she expected; she half-laughs, half-sobs as he wraps her in a wet and messy hug, once again grateful for the sound of the rain.

"Cleaning?" This time Amalia does laugh, a bright and ringing sound that she surprises herself with. "It looks like the bakery when Evie and I used to help my nani prepare for Fiat Lux." The house bears so many signs of habitation, from discarded clothes to shoes to toys, a stark contrast to the minimalism of her shared home with the Sword.

The smile fades as swiftly as it rose, replaced with a quiet anxiety. Shrugging off her damp coat uncertainly Amalia looks everywhere but at Ronin's face. "Sorry for... for just showing up like this. I, um, I needed to talk to someone, and-" She breaks off as tears spring up again, anger with her own weakness coloring her face. Jyoti croons encouragingly, singing starlight upon her troubled soulmate and turning a large, concerned eye to the Star. "Sorry. I've been- I'm fine."
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI

"Listen, you can't just disappear off and leave me to—oh." Remi's voice sounds teasingly annoyed as he appears, meaning to scold Ronin for disappearing and leaving him to clean up the disaster they've made in the kitchen. Dressed casually as Ronin is, Remi has discarded his shirt entirely after having spilled half a bottle of whiskey on it. Determined to make a whiskey-whipped cream for the pancakes, the Alchemist has been battling sugar and heavy cream for about an hour without any success. Sugar has been helping to keep the bowl cold (which apparently helps), but so far Remi just has a very lumpy (but delicious) pale gold mass to show for his efforts.

"Hey." Remi says softly from the hallway, smiling adoringly at the pair currently back-dropped by the rain. "It's good that you're here. I may need some assistance." He says with a boyishly crooked smile, knowing that Amalia's presence in their home has nothing to do with his whipped-cream emergency, but happy enough to break the tension with sugar and alcohol.
Who are you? They ask. Death?
Sometimes... I say. But not today
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RONIN

”I will take that as a compliment,” Ronin informs Amalia about the state of himself and the house. It is a very lived in place, is the Taliesin household. Spend five minutes there, find out why. He helps her out of her coat, hanging it up on a stand next to the door, ushering her inside and smiling across at Remi. Clicking the door shut, Ronin catches Amalia’s expression drop, reaching out to brush a thumb across her cheek. ”Nah, you’re not,” he says of her being fine, leaning in to kiss her hair. ”But that’s okay.”

Over Remi’s shoulder, Sugar peeps her head, glaring at the newcomers whilst also surreptitiously trying to dunk her tail in the whiskey-sugar mix. Snickering as he watches this, Ronin beams at his husband. ”I didn’t disappear. I was recruiting for our efforts. And look! I was successful!” He gestures to Amalia, winking at the Shield and stepping away from her to move and nuzzle his face against Remi’s, streaking pancake batter across him as well so they matched.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
The thumb on her cheek, the promise that it's okay- they mean more than the Shield can say, figuratively and literally given how her throat seems to have closed itself off. Nodding with a grateful smile to the Star, the baker makes to follow him in before her mood again swings. Amalia tenses immediately at the sound of Remi's voice, their last encounter striking vividly through her mind. So much had changed since then even though the thread isn't done, and she would be lying if she said she knows where she and the Alchemist stand. Uncertain dark eyes dart between the pair of them, not sure what she's looking for, her expression both hopeful and afraid.

Then Ronin goes to Remi, who smiles, and Amalia exhales a breath.

"You... you certainly look like you need help. What's this supposed to be, anyway?" Stepping forward hesitantly, the baker reaches for the bowl of lumpy sludge in Remi's hands. She takes a sniff and wrinkles her nose as the acrid alcohol stings her nostrils. "Gods, why would you ruin whipped cream with whiskey? Do you even own a whisk?"

It's delightfully easy to slip into this role, years of baking and cooking and muscle memory a comforting armor against her fears. Here in a kitchen Amalia knows exactly what she's meant to be doing. The rest of the world can wait.

"Vi's beard, did you murder a family of pancakes in here?"
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI

Remi snarls—with fangs and puffed cheeks that threaten to sprout whiskers—as Ronin nuzzles against him. It's all for show of course, and the deep blush of affection that colours Remi's cheeks is far more telling than his leonine-display. "You are an absolute menace." The Alchemist hisses under his breath, leaning in as if to kiss the Star, before plopping a dollop of what is basically just whiskey-paste at this point, onto his nose.

Remi's triumphant grin disappears as Amalia nears, though the boyish look of contempt is clearly for show as well. "Listen. I've seen you do it. You just...you know, heavy cream, sugar, and you mix it about. Sugar has even helped to keep the bowl cold, which I remembered you saying was important." But, like any good experimenter, Remi is happy to give his sample over to the more knowledgable one.

"Did she just say I ruined it with whiskey? I don't know Ronin, this might have been a mistake." Remi chuckles under his breath following the baker into the kitchen.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN

”And you love it,” Ronin replies to his husband, his cry of outrage tinged with amusement as whiskey cream is wiped onto his nose. Sugar instantly goes on the attack, leaping from Remi’s shoulder to Ronin’s with a cream-covered tail, and both go down in a snarl of curses and laughter. ”We murdered the family and all their future generations,” he calls to Amalia, struggling to his feet with Sugar draped around his shoulders (both reptile and Star are a fucking mess - even more of one - by now).

Patting Remi on the ass as he heads into the kitchen, Ronin moves to continue with his task of wiping down the counters. There’s egg on the ceiling and a half devoured pancake hanging out of one of the cupboards. Go figure.

”Ruined is such a strong word, Ama. I think you mean complemented, surely?” He grins to the baker, more than willing to sail along on this buoyed mood until the Shield wanted to talk.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Looking around the kitchen Amalia catches sight of a griddle, a couple of somewhat charred, oblong, half-eaten pancakes, and a bowl of batter that Jyoti has made her way over to inspect. "I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt breakfast," she murmurs softly, but the men have made it abundantly clear that she is welcome despite her concerns. Still, anxiety is a bitch.

A bitch that is no match for nosiness and work ethic, it turns out. The kitchen is a disaster. Amalia's eyes widen in amusement and horror as the full scope of the damage reaches her, her chef's sensibilities deeply offended by the abject carnage. "How?!" she asks rhetorically, reaching up to pull a pancake off a shelf and inspect it for quality. At least it all smells perfectly fine- it just looks a mess.

Rolling up her shirt sleeves, the Shield sets to work, whisking up the cream-sugar-whiskey abomination with practiced efficiency. "Usually you cook alcohol when you use it in cooking. This... is going to be very alcoholic," she remarks, naively assuming that making boozy whipped cream wasn't their explicit intent.
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI

Love it he did. Their house might be a disaster to everyone else's eyes, but to the Alchemist, it speaks volumes of the love and life lived within. Clothing thrown on the floor was a testament to the tireless affections and preoccupations of the two men who had been cooped up within these walls during the monsoon. Open cupboards and flour handprints on chairs weren't mess, but a humble appreciation for food. Who had time to properly close lids and push in chairs, when there were pancakes to be had?

"Easily." Remi replies to Amalia's exasperated question, flashing her a smile as she whips his cream (aayoo).  "Well I'm not cooking, am I?" The Alchemist replies back in a mischievous tone, folding his arms across his chest as Amalia does the work for him. "It's called baking, you know." He adds helpfully.

Like Ronin, he knows precisely why Amalia is here, and were he to give her a hug, he'd feel it too. But..sometimes the best thing is just...space. A time when things can be easy, when the hard questions don't need to be asked and the unsaid things don't need to be danced around.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN

”Don’t be silly,” Ronin says with a huff of laughter, waving off her apology and swanning around to rub more flour into the counters in an attempt at cleaning. Sugar pokes her cold snout against the side of his neck, trilling at the Shield and her efficient whipping of the cream. (It’s a talent, Amalia, and you should be proud). At her horror, amused or otherwise, however, Ronin sidles up behind Remi and slips his arms around the Alchemist’s waist, drawing him back against his chest.

”I told you it would work,” he murmurs, kissing the space behind his ear. Ronin was used to cooking and even more used to making pancakes. Whilst making the mess had been fun (and then some), they could have managed. But then what Amalia have to make a fuss about? ”I can still start a fire though, if you like.”
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia has no (well, few) doubts that the men could have managed on their own, but it feels good to step in and take control, especially while everything else seems to be spinning away from her. She's grateful and it shows in the look she flashes them, nodding at Ronin's offer to start a fire. "Try not to drop the building on me this time?" she teases, immediately coloring up anxiously, hoping he didn't see it at an attempt to make him feel bad.

Awkward and anxious Amalia turns back to salvaging the pancake batter and making a little more, adding cinnamon and plenty of butter for a layer of decadence they all thoroughly deserve. The griddle heats quickly, and it's with the casual flair of someone who is an expert in their area that the Shield pours out her delicately shaped pancakes, taking time to add the batter a layer at a time.

The first two up are put onto plates and offered back to Remi and Ronin with pride in her dark eyes. "Here- try to get some in your mouths this time," she suggests, turning back quickly to add more batter to the pan. The cakes presented are shaped differently, but distinctly: one a large star with little ones inside it, the other a set of cartoonish wings.
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI

Humming a note of deep satisfaction as he's pulled against Ronin, the Alchemist lets his head tilt back to give the Star better access for whatever other kisses might be coming his way. He makes no attempts to hide these displays of affection despite Amalia's situation. Changing his behaviour now will likely only make things seem all the more awkward. Though the comment isn't directed to him the Alchemist snorts and nudges Ronin in the rubs on Amalia's behalf. "Oh he won't, or he'll have me to answer to if he collapses all our hard work."

As Amalia hands them each a ProPerLy MaDe pancake, the Alchemist crinkles his nose as he reaches out for the plates. "Whatever are these things?" He wonders of the plates themselves as if they truly are so heathenish as to just throw food in their mouths (and honestly, sometimes they are). Giving Ronin a crooked smile, Remi picks up his pancake and waggles it enticingly, before folding it in half and eating it with his hands.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN

Ronin’s arms tighten further around Remi’s waist, and his husband will feel the grin on his lips as he leans in to kiss his neck, though he does gasp and raise his gaze to Amalia at her quip. ”I can’t make any promises. I’ve gotten a taste for dropping buildings on peop— oi! Elbowed in the ribs, he nudges Remi with his hip and and straightens up to watch the baker and her expert cooking skills.

When she approaches with the plates, Ronin is too interested in what’s on them to make jokes, and he flaps his own star back at Remi before almost inhaling it. ”Ama can stay,” he says when there’s space in his mouth, seeming very pleased and pausing only to feed a bit of pancake to Sugar. ”She’s good at this. What shape are you going to make for yourself?”