tip toe, got the know how to stay alive
open
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
After the first wave of monsoons die down and after the Sea Panter, I finally have a couple of days to check out the damage to the Hanged Man. I knew it was bad, but I didn’t know it was this bad. Cursin’ at myself, I grab some boxes an’ bags and set to putting away everything that can be salvaged. The booze is mostly okay, but the floor an’ the door will need replacing, the chairs are startin’ to mildew - at least those covered in cloth are, cause others have been thrown about an’ broken. I was plannin’ on makin’ an extension to this place, butane all I really think about is gettin’ it back in working order.

Slowly but surely, I move most of the inventory into my back room and storage closet - an’ as I do, the desk rattles the memory of a promise. Sighing an’ steppin’ around everything, I go to the drawer where I stashed Eloise’s envelopes and take them out, sittin’ on the corner of my desk. There’s my promise to her, an’ then there’s my promise to Jack. But they don’t have t’ be mutually exclusive. So I slide a finger under the sealant and open the envelope to read whatever ‘blackmail’ Eloise has.

Jack has a secret.

Okay, and…? Thoroughly disappointed in the lack of specifics, I scoff and open the second one. Same thing. All that for nothin'?

I rip it all up an' go to make a fire in a wastebasket, wonderin' all the while what kind of secret Jack could have that would be worth 'blackmailing' him over.
quid pro quo
ain't nothin in this life for free
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
SUNJATA
the flood
anyway, you say you're too busy
saving everybody else to save yourself
There’s a lot that could be said for the days and time that transpired since the sea panther arrived on the shores and they’d worked together to eradicate it. A lot of healing, figuring shit out, trying to get back to what felt like a new normal. But things weren’t entirely normal for him, not since then, with vision that was slowly getting better and exhaustion that weighed heavily on his bones, it’s a wonder he’s not at home resting as he should be, and instead choosing to walk Haulani back from the Slagveld toward said home.

The last time he’d done this, he’d seen the sea panther. This time, he sees the bar that looks like it could use a bit of work to put it back together – though he’s not exactly physically there enough to help piece the place back together. He can however help with trying to alleviate it from getting more damage before the weather shifts.

That and it doesn’t help to get to know Raza a bit more, seeing as their work partners for one, and two she’d had his back about as many times as he’d needed her to. So he slips in, Haai at his heels still, diving into the Hanged Man while Sunjata raps his knuckles along the door frame to announce his hello. “Hey Raza.” He rumbles by way of greeting, slipping further into the Hanged Man once he has. “Want some company?
and you don't want no help, oh well
that's the story to tell
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The sound of footsteps on the warped boards pulls my head up and I pop up to see who’s coming in when it’s in such an obvious state of disrepair. Boxes everywhere. Water stains on the wood, chairs stacked in corners - it’s not a functional place.

Ah, the hero of the Ballad of the Sea Panther. I offer a tight-lipped smile. Not because I don’t want to see him, but because I hadn’t thought that I might have company - or even want company right now. An’ even though he’s polite enough to ask, I can’t bring myself to turn ‘em away. Not when they had my back. “Sure,” I mumble, looking around at the boxes for something suitable to offer them.

Sunjata is easy. I pull out a spiced liquor, Fireball, we call it, even though it’s only cinnamon ‘n grain alcohol. Potent shit, does just what it says it does - lights a fireball going down. And for Haai? I got some jerky on me, an’ offer it to him with a small flourish. “What’s up?” I ask as I offer a glass - unpoured as of right now, but that’s easily remedied.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
Sure. Sure is good. Sure is an acceptance that he can be there. So he steps in a bit further, making his way through to the bar top – gaze scanning through the rest of the bar on his approach to the front. “You don’t have to.” He rumbles as she rummages through the boxes, but she’s already pulled something quite interesting out – and who is he to say no?

So he takes a seat instead, Haai making her way straight for Raza for the offered jerky – sitting like a good dog with her wings tucked in tight waiting for the jerky. Sunjata takes the glass, a soft smile playing at the corners of his lips. “Thanks.” He murmurs before taking a sip and letting it literally feel like it’s on fire on the way down. As for what’s up? There’s a shrug of his shoulders. “Was heading home, thought you might’ve wanted some help cleaning up.” A raise of his brow to that, head tilting as he focuses on her. “Unfortunately I’m not of much use, but enough to help where needed.” He gestures to his lightning scarred hand.
that's the story to tell
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
I spend a hot minute fussing over Haai, handin’ over the jerk an’ then tentatively scratchin’ down her back an’ along her haunches (where do you pet griffins anyway?) if she lets me. “Thank you for all your help at the beach,” I say, as if I were talking to my own companion. “You have some impressive flames.”

If you know me, it’s no wonder that I sometimes get along with companions an’ animals better ‘n people.

Pourin’ m’self a glass to make Sunjatas (albeit smaller), I shoot the fireball an’ shudder as the warmth spreads violently through me. Gods, that brings back memories - an’ also chases them away, thank goodness. My gaze drifts to his hand as he indicates it and I wince a bit. “Thank you. For that. Stickin’ it out. Who’s the big guy anyway, never got his name.” I hold up my hand to indicate that he should stay, while I rummage around for what I was going to get anyway.

My search takes me into the storage room and I return with an oiled, weatherproof tarp that’s seen better days but is still functional. “I can make use’a your height if you don’t mind.” I’ll do the climbin’. All he’ll have t'do is stand there like a tree on a stool and maybe ask Haai to help, if she's feeling up to it.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
Haai lets Raza pet her wherever she wishes — in between her ears, along her spine, mixing in with the iridescent feathers that sprout there. And Haai practically preens under the attention. At the comment of flames, though, she puffs a small cloud of smoke from her nose as if for emphasis while Sunjata snorts in response. Haai very much likes Raza, and he can’t blame her.

His steel gaze focuses on her after she’s taken her own shot, her thanks granted a nod, half wanting to say something along the lines of ‘it’s my home too’ but refrains, instead to focus on Deimos. “He’s the General of the Grounds. His name’s Deimos, here on his honeymoon from what I hear.” He mulls it over, watching as she disappears for a few moments.

When she returns, tarp in hand, he offers her an easy smile. “I don’t mind at all.” He rumbles, moving to get out of the chair to help hold where she tells him to. “Are you feeling alright after it? You took quite a hit yourself.” He asks, letting the warmth of the alcohol in his stomach loosen his limbs, moving to grab a stool to help where she directs him.
that's the story to tell
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Hoa would be pretty jealous of all the attention Haai’s getting, but floods aren’t good for snakes and I’d insisted he stay behind. Poppin’ out of the storage room with what I need, I reply, “Huh. How’d he get all that godsdamn magic?” I’ve never seen that much power in one person, except for Remi. Which then cues the inevitable thought - “Is he an Outlander too?”

I think I know what the answer is, an’I know how it’s gonna make me feel, so I haveta turn away. Especially right after he’s offered to stay an’ help.

“M’fine. Went to a healer after and she patched me up. Don’t hurt too much now.” Small blessin’, that. Given’ Sunjata one end’a a tarp, I direct him to a high nail on one’a the corner beams “Tie it there. Tightly.” An’ as he does that, I hop up on the bar an’ then reach for a side beam. Luckily the ceilings in this place ain’t too high, though I do wince as I begin to pull myself up, bit obvious I done this before. Once I’m up, I shimmy along the side an’ reach down for the rest’a the tarp, pullin’ the diagonal as far as it can go an’ makin’ it taught against the hole that’s been torn in the front.

Askin’ him to the get the other lower corner, I finish it off, then show ‘im where to put the other one, in a position that mirrors the first. It should be enough to keep the water out, but not thieves an’ looters.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
Yeah, he’s an Outlander.” Sunjata replies smoothly, flashing an apologetic smile back Raza’s way as the warmth of Caido’s fireball settles within his bones. He moves to go and grab the edge tarp when she offers it up, considering the prior question before. “I think he arrived with some. Not sure how he got the rest of them.” He comments with a hint of curiosity in his bones.

He’d gotten his shifts from Safrin. Had been blessed with them. But Abandoneds weren’t like that, didn’t have that favor with the gods. Except Deimos had, he’d managed to become Attuned as well.

It’s too much of a headache to think on right now while his exhaustion lingers in his bones. So he does as she says, eyes flicking to the nail that’s in a corner beam, and he moves to go and tie the edge of it tightly to that nail. “Good. I’m glad.” He offers her, moving to the next corner. “Has… A sea panther ever done that before?” He asks quietly, tilting his head curiously after he ties off the next one and inspects the integrity of the tarp and the water that threatens to come in every few moments.
that's the story to tell
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Interestin’. It’s all very iiiiiinterestin,’ as the mysteries of the Outlanders and the Grounders begin to increase the more questions I ask. Which was the opposite’a what I expected, ‘onestly, the opposite’a what’s supposed t’happen.

Steppin’ back to examine the handy work, I sigh, rather dramatically - unsatisfied with the whole situation, not just this. But it’ll have to do. I go back to the storage room an’ grab all the bar rags and towels I can find, tossin’ one to Sunjata so we can mop up the residual water. I squat down an’ get to it, thinkin’ about his question. “Not this close to people, no. Out in the Arclight, yeah, but there’s been so much weird shit since the portals open. M’Pa was so bored an’ unhappy with life he took to drinkin’ - things ain’t really changed that much since my Gran’s time, so that, Apopo, the lava octopus thing - it’s a lot.”

I purposefully leave out my thoughts about a non-Torcher Governor, hoping that it’s implied an’ understood.

Not t’mention all the power brought in. Hell, I can’t even get a God to appear to me, an’ I’m supposed to be loved by all of ‘em, includin’ the Voice. It’s fuckin’ ridiculous. Standin up, I take the wet ones and lay the dry ones down - a poor stop gap against extra water, but it's better than nothin'.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
The tarp is up and Raza’s already back with rags to mop up the water, and Sunjata moves to grab a bucket to deposit the liquid they soak up into — when he listens to what she has to say about the sea panther and everything. He can feel the sigh that slips from him with the thought — likely a similar conclusion. The more wild things that happened typically occurred once the Outlanders started falling in. He hopes Raza doesn’t blame him as being a part of it.

It’s not like he asked to come here anyway.

He nearly shivers under the memory of the lava octopus, yet another scar that tore through his own memories of Korofi, leaving pale burned scarring in place of where navy blue feathers should be tattooed. “I’m sorry it’s all happening now.” He offers as he works to remove the water, soaking it up in the rag and depositing it into the bucket before doing it again and again. “I’m trying my best to keep things from happening. It’s hard when they’re mostly outside forces.” He rumbles with a small breathy hum of a laugh.

He had no power over volcanoes and strange creatures that roamed in the deep. He does have power over showing up to try and defeat them, however.
that's the story to tell
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
An’ there it is. The conversation I should’a had six months ago. I know this. I’m pretty sure Sunjata knows this. And yet every bit’a me is still clingin’ to the bitterness an’ salt of my insecurities.  

Sighin’, I wait to have this chat until after the rags are all lined up in a row across the floor, then gesture for us to return to the back room so I can collect my things to leave. “I know yer tryin’ an’ I know it ain’t yer fault. You show up when needed and yer more powerful than most’a us.” And therein lies the problem. “From what I hear, the whole world is gettin’ shook up, not just us.” So they’re a side effect, not the cause.

But it’s pretty easy to confuse the too.

“I think jealousy is the main problem. Why not us, y’know?” That's what I hear, an' that's what I also, personally, think. "Why can I go to the shrine an' not get answered? It ain't yer problem, it's the Gods, but at the same time, what do you have that we don't?" Crossin' my arms, I frown. It's probably the first time I've opened up to someone outside m'circle about this, an' it's a little easier than I thought it was.

But not easy enough for me to want to do it often.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
They work to block where the water comes in, and once they’re done, Sunjata’s dumping the water he’s collected in the bucket out among the streets where it can be drained properly. Once that’s done, he takes the bucket to follow Raza to the back room, setting the bucket down and listening when she speaks. It’s all things he knows, things he’s heard before, but it still doesn’t make it any more fair.

It’s everywhere, yeah.” He says quietly, unsure where this conversation is going. And then the true topic drops and he mulls it over, deciding what exactly to do with it.

He inhales slowly from his nose, reaching to rub up at the back of his tattooed neck. “I arrived just after the barrier fell, but I know that the heralds were stuck in there with us. I’m not sure if it makes a difference seeing as that’s where I came from.” He shrugs. It doesn’t make it fair, but it might be a reason as well. “And when I came in I was Accepted. I asked Safrin to attune me a couple of seasons later.” Perhaps that’s why he got answered more so. Because she’d made him, he had become hers that day.

Now that they have the world at their fingertips perhaps that makes all the difference. But for what it’s worth, I’m sorry. It is unfair.” But that's life, isn’t it?
that's the story to tell
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
I may not know what I’m looking for in this conversation, but I’m pretty sure it ain’t a fight. Like 85% sure.

It ain’t worth it right now and I know I ain’t shit compared to him. It always comes down to the same complaints, anyway. They didn’t ask to be here an’ We don’t like the comin’ in an’ takin’ over parts. Lose-lose, really. ‘Sides, life ain’t fair an’ the sooner we all accept it, the better. I half-ass putin’ a spin on it with a nod of understading an’ a shrug. “It’s hard for me to rely on others. Don’t like it.” Even when the others save my ass.

“I just want t’ be able t’protect my people. An’ it seems the only people who can really do that are god-favored, which -” he knows the rest. It’s a bloody endless feedback loop. Anyway, my point is made so it’s time to get outta here. I grab m’ things and head out of a back door in the store room, takin’ a key an’ lockin’ it behind us with a big padlock lookin’ thing. Gesturing up towards Haulani, I rather gruffly lay an offering in front of Sunjata.

“Come on, I owe you a meal if ye want it.”

-Fin
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!