find me where the wild things are
for Vai! <3
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
you must burn brighter than ever
It was nice to be home.

The thrill of the adventures had been softened for a moment, on the beat of her feet finally hitting sand and surf again, embarking along shoal lines and embankments, the softness of the heat pulsing around her. Alive and free, liberated and adorned, a cosmic interval of the sun dancing along her face. For a few seconds, she forgot about the motions of terror at ghost whales, the chanting of a herald’s name, and merely embodied the summer swing, a breath of humid, sultry air beckoning her back.

Then there were the burns on her hands, on her arms, tended to but certainly not mended; a grimace beholden on her lips as she studied them. “Maybe we should find Vai first,” she murmured to Fangorn at her feet. The gourd grumbled and growled in response, likely in agreement. She wouldn’t dare waltz into the house with newly-forged wounds. She could only imagine Sunjata or Nate’s responses.

She walked down familiar routes and streets, head held high and bag on her shoulder, every essence the smuggler and the firebrand, hastening down honeybee lines and buzzing with the hum stoked between her teeth. The clinic outlined on the horizon, and she and her companion eventually slipped inside, head twisting around corners. “Vai?” A call, not timid or unpleasant, but a mellifluous cadence, something her sister, her mother, might have traced.
Melita
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

When Melita walks in, she’ll find a stark sign leaning against the bottom of the counter, prepared to be place outside the clinic. It reads: TEMPORARILY CLOSED. And there are no patients - everything is cleaned up and wiped down, ready to be closed for... well, for however long it takes for Nate to get his head screwed back on straight. Because until then, Vai is needed between the Governor’s house and the home next door, helping to keep the sick from wandering off and helping Ronin pull things together.

But Melita’s voice chimes through all of her last preparations, and the witch pokes her head from around the door of one of the consultation rooms, her face lighting up. ”You’re home!” She beams, sweeping out and seeming about to wrap up the girl in a hug until she notices the burns. ”You’re hurt.” Her smile fades by degrees, and she ushers Melita into the room. ”Come on, I’ll take a look.”

vervain
I am always on your side
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The sign gave her pause, a note of apprehension wrapped around her throat. Had something gone awry while she’d been gone? Why would the clinic be closed? Forgoing peeking further into the domicile, her fingers clenched neatly into balled fists at her side, fighting down the sudden onslaught of trepidation, terror, and any number of explanations. Maybe it was nothing. Maybe it was everything.

She was saved by Vai (wasn’t everyone) appearing, a beam, a rush of affection, amicable adornments Melita had missed in the past few months, and the youth would’ve opened her arms wide and accepted every ounce of hugs and embraces, save for the burns –

And the huntress had noticed anyway.

Her returned grin was sheepish. “Yeah, there were some issues with the cannons,” and massive panic over how to destroy a ghost whale that they’d never quite solved. “Thank you.” She followed obediently, quietly, a host of notions stirring restlessly in her mind, until she couldn’t keep them in any longer. “Is something going on?”
Melita
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:

”Cannons?” Vai echoes. ”I can only imagine.” Smiling, she pats the bed in the consultation room for Melita to hop up on, getting things together as she does; a salve for the burns, some fresh dressings etc. ”It’s good to see you back in one piece, though. How was it out there?” she asks.

As for what was going on? Her smile fades by degrees, Vai wheeling a stool up to sit opposite the youth on the bed, giving a small nod to the burns as if to ask for permission to look at them properly. ”There’s a flu going around,” she says softly. ”Or at least... I thought it was a flu, but I’m not so sure now. Sunjata and Hotaru have it, but so do Nate and Remi. I wasn’t aware that Ascended could get sick, and Remi...”

She shrugs her shoulders - in recent times, she hasn’t known the alchemist to get sick or tired or remotely under the weather. And this thing has knocked him on his ass, to put it bluntly.

vervain
I am always on your side
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Comforted by Vai’s presence alone, the youth sidled upon the bed, eyes roaming while her legs swung back and forth; a restless energy while her gaze combed through the wares of the clinic. It reminded her of her mother, herbs and singing, flora brewing along the hearth, dried vegetation hanging from the ceiling, a world of rooted proportions, where she could be safe. Secure. Her stare swung back, grin enigmatic and torn, when Vai asked how everything had gone. “Interesting. We encountered monsoons and ghost whales.” Her teeth dragged across her bottom lip, then pursed them in thought. “I tried to get a good shot on it, but the cannon backfired.” And here she was – the slightest of smiles rendered back in place.

But not for long, as she watched Vai’s reaction to her question, swallowing down a heathenous trace of bile. She held out her arms and hands for inspection, and didn’t ease the inhaled breath out of her chest.

She’d been expecting some sort of disaster, mayhem, and calamity – not sickness. That her entire household had acquired it (how did Nate?) made her teeth clench together in a grim, forbearing line, the distinct, impudent wrinkle to her nose beginning to coil. “I can help, if you want. What’s so different about it?”
Melita
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:

Monsoons and ghost whales. Vai meets Melita’s gaze at that, brow furrowing as if to try and tell whether she is serious, before it melts into soft surprise to discover that... yes, in fact. Yes she is serious. ”Perhaps you could try for a more peaceful trip in LeafChange?” she suggests with the hints of a smile, leaning in to examine the burns more closely. ”I’ll dress the ones on your arms, but I’ll heal away the ones on your hands. Should make things a bit more comfortable for you,” she says.

Vai is already rubbing her palms together, a warm glow suffusing them as she lets them over over the youth’s hands, soothing away burns so she doesn’t have to worry about holding or grabbing or writing anything. The offer of help is very much appreciated, though the witch does flash her a wicked sort of smile. ”Worried as I am, I have to warn you that they’re a handful. Mainly... I don’t know - it’s strange for it to affect Ascended as well. There’s a high fever, delirium... and I caught Nate trying to walk out into the sun on purpose.”

vervain
I am always on your side
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
“Not up to me,” and here her grin widened. Up to the ocean, to the sea, and wherever they happened to hasten off. Would she have asked for a tranquil outing? It was almost doubtful – she just hadn’t mentally prepared herself for this one. For potentially drowning. For nearly being swallowed by a whale. For everything else nestled in between. But now she knew better. She’d be prepared for their next voyage. “Thank you,” and the smile softened, eager and ready for Vai to continue her work.

Soothing, mending, and assuaging, a radiant calm established, even when the news continued to hit. High fevers, delirium, and Nate wandering out into the sun was disconcerting. “I’m a handful too,” and she laughed; as if testing the world to best her. “What have you already done for them?” What could be done?
Melita
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:

”Mm, that’s true enough. Who do I have to have a word with, ocean aside, to make sure you don’t get into too much trouble when you next go sailing?” Vai smiles, only half joking. She finishes up healing Melita’s hands and starts to carefully clean and dress the burns on her arms, neatly rolling bandages around her. She’ll look a little like a mummy in places, and it’ll give her an interesting tan in the LongHeat sun, but it’s better than the alternative. ”You are very welcome.”

She was a handful, and the wicked smile Vai gives her says as much, but it doesn’t mean that she’s capable of dealing with three sick, delirious people. ”Mostly? I’ve tried to keep them in bed. They’re thirsty but they don’t want to drink, and they get confused... hallucinating, sometimes. I’ve had to make sure anything dangerous is removed from the rooms. It’s a babysitting exercise a lot of the time. I know Ronin is trying to find out more.”

vervain
I am always on your side
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita snorted at the joke; and wasn’t about to proclaim Vai should march towards Jack. “I wish I knew. Maybe I’ll just have to say a few more prayers.” To whom she wasn’t certain – which void had jurisdiction over the sea? Thereafter her eyes went to the bandages, her mummified extents not bothering her in the least; eventually the bandages would come off, and the shine, the sheen, of new scars would’ve formed. She’d never been ashamed of them before, and wouldn’t be now.

The consternation surrounding the rest of their world though, and so many afflicted, affected, gave her pause. The wicked assignations could only last for so long, and her brows furrowed, deep contemplations rendered through the angles and snares of her mind. “I can try and babysit.” She couldn’t promise much more than that – her temper a rampant thing too, and there wasn’t any certainty that she wouldn’t end up setting the house ablaze in frustration. “And let me know what he finds out? And tell him I’d like to help?” In any way she could – adventure in her blood and ferocity in her fingertips.

But how did one fight a sickness? These weren’t her elements here.
Melita
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:

”I personally find that one well-placed arrow does better than a dozen prayers.” Vai winks at Melita, finishing up her dressings and stepping away so she can clean up again, discarding anything used and packing away the rest in clean, careful movements. Laughing warmly at the offer and visibly appreciating it nonetheless, the witch turns back to the honeybee girl, folding her arms across her chest. ”Believe me when I say that sometimes, with that lot, trying is all you can do.” She winks.

Nodding, she beckons for Melita to follow her back out of the consultation room so she can finish preparing the clinic for closure. ”I’ll let him know, and I’ll be sure to keep you in the loop. I’m attending a meeting tomorrow, so you arrived in the nick of time. I hope you feel up to babysitting sooner rather than later.” Grinning, Vai puts up the closure sign in the window and returns to the counter, where a second poster has been prepared with a list of symptoms of this ‘flu’, along with recommendations for those who are ill.

vervain
I am always on your side