here we go, bluebird
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
this pair of wings worn and rusted from too many years by my side
Amalia has never been more grateful for the ability to partially shift than she is today. Summer comes everywhere but Halo, it seems; the land remains cloaked in snow and dismal chill, the white coating bright and painful in the never-setting sun. Amalia trudges through it with a quiet determination, stubbornly dragging her sled of supplies.

She reaches the citadel in the hazy half-twilight that constitutes nighttime in this hell. A series of questions lead her to her quarry, though she's warned that the Grand Healer rather isn't in a state for guests. Undeterred the Shield pushes forward, nodding curtly in gratitude and opening the door.

"Loren?" She's hopeful that it isn't that. That he's having a bad day. This will be a whole lot harder if she has to fight him to get him cured.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
When Amalia opened the door she'd be struck by a wash of foul smelling air. It reeked of a sweaty, unwashed body, other bodily fluids, the coppery scent of dried blood, burnt flesh, and the oddly sweet but sickening scent of illness. It was quite apparent that Loren was the source.

His clothes—what little he wore—were in tatters, and streaked with dried sweat, bloodstains, and soot. His skin, always pale, was almost white, and the scars from the encounter with Tanau stood out starkly against it. He was gaunt looking, the result of not eating regularly for a while. Despite the chill, his skin was slick with perspiration. His hair, where it wasn't sticking up in an untidy mess, was plastered to his head by sweat.

Although he glanced up when she called his name, he remained crouched by the fire. Astra, though, immediately sprang up and trotted over to the Shield, bleating. "Amalia?" He licked bone dry lips. "Have you come to make baskets?"

Then he shook his head. "No. You're just another bad dream." Moaning, he rocked back and forth a little.
you are lost, hope is gone
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
As her eyes (and nose) adjust to the room it becomes painfully evident that Loren's state is not a simple flu. Breathing deeply of the outside air the woman steels herself, wishing desperately she could still shift into an owl and dull her sense of smell.

She leaves the door open for light and fresh air and steps in toward the shape by the fire. Behind her Jyoti croons and sings, greeting Astra and casting starlight into the dingy room. "Hi, Loren," the girl says quietly, kneeling down on the other side of the hearth. "We can make baskets, if you want. Or we could have a picnic. Does that sound nice?"
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Astra reared up slightly, trying to reach Jyoti. When the luxere couldn't do that, she settled for trotting in a circle underneath her fellow companion. As the starwhale shed its light, Loren stopped rocking.

However, he shook his head again at Amalia's question. "No. No, you're not real," he repeated. "Amalia doesn't come to Halo. Nobody ever comes to Halo. To me. They just leave." He closed his eyes.

Shifting into a kneeling position he turned towards the warmth of the fire. Opening his eyes again, he sought out the apparition's, the eyes of the being that seemed so much like Shield but wasn't. "But that's okay," he whispered. "I have new friends now."

With that, he thrust his hand into the fire. Even as his flesh began to burn, he smiled. Instinctively, his healing magic kicked in. The sky blue light mixed with the yellows and reds of the fire as he repaired the damage to his skin as quickly as the fire consumed it.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Jyoti dances down obligingly to swim against Astra's side, the starwhale checking her friend for injuries and offering what reassurance she can. Amalia, meanwhile, inches closer, reaching out for Loren's hand. "That's not true. I came to see you. And I'm definitely real. See?" She extends her grasp further, trying to keep his eyes on hers, to lay her fingers over his-

And then his hand flies into the fire, and Amalia lets out a panicked half-scream.

"Loren!" Surging forward the Shield attempts to wrap her arms around the filthy figure of her friend, to pull him back away from the heat. At the same time she casts her barrier upon him - a way to keep him safe, should she fail. The urge to gag is hard to resist, but somehow she holds out. "Loren, hey, no. The fire won't help."
the Firebrand

Change author:
Astra was, thankfully, uninjured, albeit a bit ragged and unkempt looking. Pressing herself against Jyoti, the luxere felt tension draining out of her. Turning to look at Amalia, Loren's companion tried to project the image of an old member of the herd getting left behind for predators, along with her terror about the state of the healer.

Despite the Shield's touch, he continued to shake his head. "My dreams are always real. Too real." He shivered and his eyes darted around as his nostrils flared.

As her arms encircled him, he struggled for just a moment as she tried to pull him away. In his current state, though, he couldn't resist for long. So the fight went out of him almost immediately.

Collapsing against her, unable to support his own weight, he moaned again. Sparks of his magic repaired the last of his damage to his hand. "It's my friend. It speaks to me, and I see things in it sometimes. I just need to feed it," he pleaded. However, he made no move to get closer to the flames. Instead, he curled inwards on himself a little, shoulders hunching as he tried to form a ball.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
She keeps her arms wrapped firmly around him, keeping him from hurting himself again and sighing heavily against his back. To Astra's images Amalia replies with quiet hope and determination, as well as a second, important request: Do you know where the water is? I need to give it to him. It will help. The message is accompanied by a visualization of the canteens Tanau had given, of the Shield drinking and becoming well.

Again she focuses on Loren, running a hand gently over his back as he curls up and quivers, more child than man, hurt and alone. "What does the fire say to you, Loren?" the Shield asks, continuing to hold him close. Amalia can remember how it felt, to be lost and lied to by ones own brain. His body is searing, slick with fever. She can only hope Astra brings the water soon.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Astra stiffened as Amalia's image and message reached her. Bleating, the luxere trotted back and forth for a while. Stopping she looked at Loren, still curled up.

Then she trotted towards the door. Shoving it open, she went out into the snow and disappeared from sight. As she grew too distant for the healer to feel her in his mind, he whimpered.

"They say..." Voice trailing off, he licked his lips. "They tell me to come play with them. Where it's warm and happy, and I'll finally belong. Because I'm the Firebrand. Right?" Smiling, his eyes grew unfocused.

He started shivering uncontrollably. I'm so cold. It slid through his bond with the Shield in an almost unconscious manner. Fur rippled along his arms, metallic gold in parts, black and white in others, and feathers appeared in his hair as his shifts warred for supremacy.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
With a last reluctant glance at Amalia, Jyoti follows Astra out into the snow, faithful that her friend will lead her to wherever the water is kept while the Shield tends to the invalid.

The Firebrand.

"I heard that people call you that, now. After what you did in the Climb." She continues to stroke upon his back, watching as hair and feathers and fur war across his features. "You were very brave. And you're being brave now."

At the confession that he's cold she shivers reflexively, empathetic even though she cannot reply in kind. "I know. You're sick, Loren. You have a fever. But we're going to get you better." She reaches for a nearby towel, wiping the sweat from his brow. "Will you tell me what you've been feeling? What you remember, since I saw you last?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren nodded, still curled in a ball with Amalia’s arms wrapped around him. "I like fire. 's a stupid name though," he muttered. Still shivering he pressed his lips together. "And I'm not brave. I'm so scared."

Frowning, he tried to pull away from her. "I'm not sick. I don't get sick. I never get sick." Raising one hand, he waggled his fingers. As he did, a sky blue glow spread from them throughout his whole body. "See. Magic poofs sick away." His frown turned upside down and he found himself grinning.

However it slipped away as his brow furrowed. Chewing his lip he felt the fur and feathers returning. "I don't...did I see you? The real you, I mean. And the pretty man of fire. And then I came back here, and then I went to the Greatwood to talk to them, and they called me peach." He smiled.

Shifting so he could look her in the eyes, he added, "They were nice. It was different."
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"Being brave doesn't mean you aren't scared." Amalia continues to hold him, though her eyes now move around the room, mind reaching out for Jyoti and Astra. It's so hot, and she feels like she's melting, disappearing again into the madness of his mind. "Being brave and being scared... they're the same thing, really. But when you're brave it means you're bigger than your fear. That even though you're scared, you keep moving forward."

They need the water. She needs his help, his magic, his sanity. Amalia lets her eyes fall closed, only opening them as he moves and she releases him - just enough that he can adjust his body, still easily in reach. She still remembers the fire, and though she can feel her barrier upon him she doesn't trust the Firebrand not to do something stupid again.

It's hard to make sense of his words sometimes, but one thing clicks in her head. "Frey?" the Shield asks, raising an eyebrow. She's heard rumors that the god had changed. "Was it a good talk? Did they tell you anything about the... the thing you found, in the Climb?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
At Amalia's words Loren shivered from more than the chills. "What good is being brave..." Voice trailing off, he swallowed trying to get some moisture in his bone dry mouth. "What good is any of it when you just hurt people." He shuddered, closing his eyes momentarily. "I don't know where I'm going," he admitted in a whisper.

Nodding, he opened his eyes again though they were unfocused. "Yeah, them." He frowned. "You don't like them." It was half-question half-accusation. "They said...they said I was becoming. And that it was inside me. That I should put it back where it came from."

He struggled to sit up then, flailing about without much direction. "Does that mean I have to go there too? Because it's inside me, and I should go home." Smiling, he sighed. "It's nice there. Warm, and fiery." He started to flop towards the door.

Which suddenly opened as Astra returned, presumably with Jyoti in tow. The luxere clasped the canteen in her teeth. Lowering he head, she set it on the ground near the door. At the sight of it, the healer stopped moving forward. Instead, he began to backpedal, rolling over himself to get away.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"I don't not like them," she clarifies automatically, her pious soul rebelling against any suggestion that she feel negatively toward any god. But this is not the time or place for a philosophical discussion, so Amalia does not press further into her complicated relationship with the god. "What was inside you?" she asks instead, a shiver rushing through her spine at the mention of becoming. It is the same word Safrin used for her- is he being raised up, too?

She's going to ask more questions but then the door flies open, Astra and Jyoti appearing with the telltale canteen in the luxere's grasp. Amalia reaches for it an in doing so releases Loren, not expecting his immediate revulsion and attempt to get away. "Hey- hey!" she chides with gentle urgency, turning back to Loren with the water in her hand. "What's the matter, Loren? Wouldn't you like a drink?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
Shrugging at Amalia's denial, Loren sighed. "You don't like me worshipping them, then." He tucked his chin into his chest. "I don't think they like me worshipping them either." Letting out a huff of laughter, he let his head fall back to thump against the ground.

Wriggling about, trying to find a comfortable position, he eventually propped himself up slightly on one elbow. "I don't know. They didn't know what is was or where Tanau found it. Just said I should put it back. Which means I should go there too, because it's inside me too." He nodded at that impeccable piece of logic.

Hissing and snarling, he managed to back himself into a corner. For a moment, he stared at the Shield and the companions with wide eyes. "I'm so thirsty," he whispered.

Then he shook his head just once, bringing a lot of his body with him from the force of his negation. "But no. No water. Never water." Magic lashed out of him, wild and uncontrolled and powerful, boosted by the mageglass he wore even now.

Every bit of water in a thirty foot radius that his power could reach froze instantly, including the sweat on his skin. Moaning at the ice crystals on his body, he tried to claw them off. Quite literally: his hands shifted to lion's paws and he swiped along his arms, trying to get rid of the hated substance.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!