hope is the thing with feathers
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
she is like the sun to night
To some, the Tower might’ve felt cold. A distant thing, with architecture riveted into every detail, every nuance, every hint, every fiber. From a distance, it appeared to ascend towards the sky, stretching monolithic beacons and ornate designs into a sketched horizon, symbols of power and prestige. But to Lena, who’d grown beneath its wake, who’d always known love and affection and warmth, she had nothing to fear. She didn’t tremble in its presence. She didn’t disregard its entity, but respected each portion of its surface, adding a dimpled smile towards the gargoyles high upon spires, recognizing them as creatures, as figments, of those under her care. A finger brushed across stone, and then she hummed, twirling the bucket in her hand.

She was here on a mission, however, and not for daydreaming. With Sera out on her sojourn with Tobi, and a broken feeding bucket requiring repairs, the youth was bound to find another suitable mender of battered things. Which meant Luciana.

Her feet barely registered on the floor, light and airy and ethereal, composed and comprised of elegance and delicacy – not that she would bend or break – but contortions of a whimsical nature. Poking her head around the corner, and then into the workspace, she knocked upon the door, a charitable, winsome smile bordering along her lips. “Luci? Do you have some time for repairs?”
a momentary gold
Lena
Base Code by Sky!
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Age: 48 | Height: 5'4'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 15 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Luciana
cause it makes me that much stronger
makes me work a little bit harder
The part of the Tower that Lena came to and Luciana worked in was definitely not cold. In fact, it was almost oppressively hot, especially during Longheat with the forge fires blazing.

The craftswoman brought down a hammer on the end of a heated rod of iron, which glowed reddish-yellow. She held the cool end of the rod in a gloved hand. Turning her wrist, she brought the hammer down again. She continued like this, alternating sides as a narrower and narrower length of metal extended from the end towards a chalk line on her anvil.

When the knock sounded and the other woman spoke, the Hammer didn't even look up, just yelled to be heard over her work. "One moment." She continued smashing the metal, which was cooling rapidly, until it reached the chalk. Then she set down the hammer. Grabbing the rod, she slid it into her forge fire.

Only then did she turn to face her visitor. "Lena." Luciana nodded. "It depends on the repairs. You know the drill: tell me what you need and I'll tell you if I can do it and when." Wiping some sweat off her brow (leaving a smear of soot behind as she did) she glanced towards the iron she had in the fire.
it makes me that much wiser
so thanks for making me a fighter
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Fire and brimstone, heat and metal, forged and reshaped, reworked, a testament of strength and diligence acquired, required, after years of practice and experience. Lena could admire it from afar; her own inner flames eternally intact, but she had no ability with the hammer, with the smashing of power and might into bits of movement and motion. She was more akin to blossoms and the sun, following the pathways of light, listening to the beck and call of creatures needing aid. They all had their places, and perhaps that was beautiful too.

Always abrupt and quick, Luciana beckoned her in, and the youth practically skipped into the sanction, eyes going to the soot now across the older woman’s features, and thinking nothing of it. Common place, a symbol of work and fortitude. Her smile was still ignited and lit, never dimmed. “One of my feeding buckets met a hatchling’s flames.” Dragonfire, no matter the fledgling, had a strength all its own – and she lifted the metal bucket, now sporting a massive, warped hole at the bottom of it. She could always get a new one, but that would take some time too. “Think it can be helped?”
a momentary gold
Lena
Base Code by Sky!
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Age: 48 | Height: 5'4'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Luciana
Frowning, Luciana beckoned Lena forward. Taking the bucket from the caretaker, the Hammer examined it, holding it up to look through the hole. "You should just get a new one," she commented, most of her attention on the project and the potential repairs she could perform.

Setting it aside she nodded. "So long as you don't need it to be completely sealed shut it's a relatively easy fix. Should be able to do it for you now, too." Without waiting for a response, she grabbed a flat sheet of metal. Putting the pail on it, she marked the outline of the bottom in chalk.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
She bit back a laugh at the way she could see Luci’s inspection through the hole, eye to eye for a moment at the near-demise of the metal bucket. Instead, the youth nodded in understanding, pondering when she’d have time to meander and wander down the market wares and stalls, or what she had left to barter.

But then there was acceptance, and she handed the warped panels and dilapidated adornments over, gaze searing over from the remnants of other things, and down towards the pile of cast works. “That will be fine.” It just needed to contain enough, for feedings, though she figured it wouldn’t survive another fledgling onslaught. Best to put it with a gentler creature from now on, and she could puzzle through the complexity of the dragon child’s appetite for destruction another time. Perhaps it was nearing its recovery anyway, and it wouldn’t be much longer.

Distracted out of her musings, the Caretaker’s glow remained. “Thank you.” Uncertain if Luci would crave conversation during her work, her attention shifted again, before doing just that anyway. “You’ve been busy. Have you gone through the portals yet?” Curiosity would likely be her undoing at some point – and the question was anointed because she’d yet to drift forth.
a momentary gold
Lena
Base Code by Sky!
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
Nodding, Luciana made sure the bucket was safely tucked away. Taking out a hacksaw, she secured it on her anvil. Bringing the sheet of metal over, she began sawing it. Once she'd made a small cut, she turned it to begin following the circled she'd sketched out.

Bending forward, her whole focus was on the task at hand. She paused as Lena began to speak though. Frowning, the Hammer sighed. "The Order's work is never finished, you know that. And yes, unfortunately I've been through the portals." A shudder passed through her entire body.

"How about you? How's the Celestine?" Pressing her lip together, she started moving the metal again. Almost unbidden, she found herself asking, "How hot does dragon fire burn anyway? Have you considered using a different material?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
The girl leaned against the doorway, intrigued, and not afraid to show it, eyes widening to behold the older woman’s work. However, even in the measures of riveting, the youth caught the measures of a shudder, of the unfortunately placed within – and now the curiosity grew. A brighter blossom, larger than sprigs and whims, occupying her inquisition. “Oh? You didn’t enjoy it?” And then began a steady stream of questions, incapable of being held back – either by her inexperience, or genuine fascination with the outside world. “Where did you go? What did you see?” There’d been rumors of a sickness – but not upon animals – and so Lena had remained within her Celestine sanction.

The mention of her own role hastened the grin further. “I’m well. The creatures are fine.” She enjoyed her occupation, at the aspect of nurturing, healing, mending, and assuaging the magical beings until they could be well and whole once more – safely regarded back into their realms. “I’m not sure. I usually only get the ice dragons.” Why they seemed more damned and doomed was beyond her; given any circumstances, not many bothered with the massive lizards. “What would you recommend?”
a momentary gold
Lena
Base Code by Sky!
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
"No." Luciana practically spat the word out. Pausing with her work, she scowled, though not at Lena. "I only went through so I could see if I could deconstruct it." The Hammer pressed her lips together as she turned the metal plate a few more degrees.

At the caretaker's questions, the craftswoman sighed. "I went to Halo. Horrible place." She shivered.

Nodding at the other woman's words, Luciana tapped her finger against the metal for a moment. Then she resumed sawing out the disc. "Porcelain or glass. Maybe both. They're less likely to warp in heat, though cracking is an issue if it's too hot or the temperature changes too quickly. So warm them up slowly before giving them to the dragon."
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
The reaction wasn’t quite what she’d been hoping for – wanting more, more, more – pictures worth thousand words, descriptions of unwavering mountainsides, incredible volcanoes, or plains as far as the eye could see. No frown appeared on her features, though her brow furrowed in thought, arms crossing over her chest as she leaned, gaze going around once more. “What was horrible about it?” Especially with a name like Halo, meant to represent angelic, seraphic qualities. Was everything outside of their walls truly despicable?

And why did she still want to go?

Notions of porcelain or glass were sent her way, and she nodded at the woman’s sagacity and experience, collecting them for future endeavors. “Good to know. I can look for some in the market.” Not much readily on hand in the Celestine, or in her wanderings, but she’d do her best.
a momentary gold
Lena
Base Code by Sky!
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
Eyes narrowing, Luciana bared her teeth. "It's well below freezing even during Longheat and full of fucking Abandoned." She cast her gaze at Lena. Raising an eyebrow, the Hammer pressed her lips together again. "Need I say more?" Turning, she sawed at the metal, which was about halfway along the circle she'd sketched.

Nodding at the caretaker's words, she took advantage of the momentary lapse in the conversation. Continuing to turn the metal plate, she eventually cut through the last of it. She was left with a neat disc of metal. Taking it over to the bucket, she slid it down, nodding as it came to a stop just above the bottom of the pail. "While you're here, are there any other repairs, improvements, or orders you need?"

The disc was slightly tilted though. Frowning a bit, she examined it. Then she pulled the disc out. Taking it over to the saw, she very carefully started shaving down one arc that wasn't quite the right shape.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena didn’t mind the cold. Lena didn’t mind the heat. Lena didn’t mind the way thorns pricked at her skin as she ran by them; all sources of nature, all beautiful, corresponding notions of life. So while she pretended to flinch at the notions driven from Luciana’s raised hackles, from the conflagration of freezing temperatures (and what would it be like, to parade through the snow until she could lose herself in its essence and glory, until she could feel the rush of danger looming, catching?), or from the assemblage of Abandoned (not half as prejudiced as the rest, because sometimes they were just born that way and had no control and would they all contort into something like the Voice?), intrigue remained.

Whirled, curled, contorted to her mind, like a neatly arranged flower, etchings around petals, adorned in a network of patterns and precision.

Her features placed their elegant pretense, a subtle frown, a wrinkle to her nose, perhaps the most she’d ever be able to portray in her masque of disillusion. “Oh. That’s a shame.” Her fingers traced over one another, none of them soft. “Have you heard of anywhere else?”

Then another inquiry for her as the work continued, fascinating movements and gestures, Luciana always knowing exactly what to do and how to place it. Precise and measured. Cool and collected. “Not that I can think of.”
a momentary gold
Lena
Base Code by Sky!
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
Shrugging, Luciana focused on shaving down the remaining rough edges of the disc. "A few places. Hollowed Ground, Torchline, the Climb, the Greatwood. Haven't been, though. You'd have to ask the other members of the Order." Lifting the metal from the saw, she spun it in her hands.

Nodding, she brought it back to the bucket. Sliding it in, the corners of her lips curled up as it rested flat just above the bottom of the pail. Holding it out for Lena, the Hammer smoothed her expression out. "Will this do?" Pausing for a moment, she added, "And if you do end up needing some modifications, or want someone to go with you to purchase buckets made of different materials, let me know."
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena didn’t show any frustration, any semblance of disappointment. There were other options to explore, and besides, her sister would be back soon, and she’d have enough stories to regale and posture, enough to dive into when the notions were right. She collected the filaments of the other names though, let them wrap and cord along her mind: Hollowed Grounds, Torchline, the Climb, the Greatwood – future endeavors for a far too curious mind to behold. “I’ll ask around then.” The same smile wrapped around her features, warm and bright.

Her hands took the offered bucket, reclaimed and repurposed, refashioned and refurbished, ready for the next plight of feedings. “Beautiful work, as always. Thank you.” Another nod at the insinuations, trusting Luciana to be capable of finding exactly the right materials. “I’ll let you know.” A lifting of her head, hands already playing with the metal fortification, spinning it along her fingertips. “Do you need anything?”
a momentary gold
Lena
Base Code by Sky!
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
Shrugging, Luciana went to go retrieve her glove. Sliding it onto her left hand, she pulled the rod she'd been working with from the fire. "Suit yourself." Bringing the red-hot end of the rod to the hacksaw, she started turning and rubbing it, making a small v in the metal.

"You're welcome." Bending the end of the rod, which had cooled rapidly, she put it back into the fire. Taking another rod out, she nodded at Lena's assertion that the caretaker would be in touch if she needed the Hammer. "Nope, I'm good. I know where to find you if that changes." With that, she started hammering the end of her new metal.