The End of a Life
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
eyes can't shine unless there's something burning bright behind
It was like a vast void, the darkness that took her. There were moments when she thought she could see things; huge constellations and untouched galaxies. The last thing she saw before she was sucked into this warped tunnel was the scowling face of the archmage. His grizzled muzzle tipped into a snarl while blood oozed from the blade in his left eye. From behind her, she had heard her partner calling her name.

"Let her go!"

Aurelia was unable to move her body, not a single fiber of it. So she couldn't see what Seren was doing. Forced to stare her killer in his dark eyes, fear had turned her blood ice-cold. She always thought that she could look death in the face and feel nothing. Nothing but determination or vengeance but, at her core, all she could feel was dread. She wasn't ready to die. What would become of her sisters? They would be forced into a life of poverty, at best, without her. They were capable young women, surely, but... they didn't have the same fire that Aurelia did. She knew that they were too soft, they were a different cut of the same cloth.

"No!" It was Seren again. If anyone could put a stop to this, it was him.

No time was spared for him to save her life before the archmage's mouth started to move. Expecting an unbearably painful death, Aurelia felt a scream build within her throat. If only she could move the muscles required to let it out. In a flash of black, everything was gone. Her untimely death was silent - and figurative.

It seemed like seconds that she was caught in between here and there. When she felt the ground beneath her once more, she found she had lost the strength to stand but had regained the ability to move. Her scream, trapped inside her chest, freed itself. Her body collapsed onto the wood and her agonized cry split the midnight air. The brown hood of her poncho fell back as Aurelia frantically looked around for Seren or the archmage.

"Damn it! I was so close!" she spat, slamming her hands down on the wood.

Everything around her was... strange and unfamiliar. On the surface, an entire city. An entire city. on. the. surface!?!?

People walked the streets casually, though it was late and there were drunk stragglers. A few who heard her yell glanced in her direction. They didn't seem interested, though. Dimly lit buildings lined the ocean's shoreline and disappeared into a jungle as waves collapsed upon the sand. This did nothing to comfort her.

Her heart was pounding with sickening thuds against her chest. She was sat upon some sort of bridge, a loading station perhaps. Her home did use ships to cross small oceans, though she had never been around them before. She had only heard of them, of the stories about terrifying sea monsters breaking entire ships like a twig and eating everyone on board.

I am really far from home... really, really far. What happened?

"What happened, damn it!?" she cried, eyes welling up with tears and her hands balling up into fists against the rough boards. Her mind was racing along with her heart but, she could not think clearly. She jumped from worry for Seren to worry for her own situation and boomeranged back and forth between the two. She looked around at the meager crowd in the area, most of them looking unapproachable. Fuuck, I need to get out of the open, her mind felt foggy and her strength was zapped. Survival instincts were telling her to get somewhere safe to form a plan. If only she knew where to go. She looked down at her fists, mumbling, "Where in the aboveground hell am I?"

The sound of approaching footsteps made her start. A single hand reached down beneath the blood-splattered poncho, along her waistline. What she was fumbling for could not be seen yet, but she secured the handle of a small knife. She looked up with fiery green eyes and practically growled through her teeth, "Fuck off or die."
Aurelia

Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
JACK
”Only if you do first.”

The feet that drum along the boardwalk halt in time with Aurelia’s hand finding the knife, like a dance where only one of them knows the steps. He has paused under the convenient light of one of the nearby torches, and in deep shadow and golden flame, a rather unimpressive man (on the surface, at least) gives his appraisal.

Jack has not been having the LongHeat he deserves, in his not so humble opinion. Arriving back with a ship half blown to bits, nearly capsized by ghost whales and tempests, this season is intended as a well earned rest - emphasis on the rest. Only it’s not - there’s a sickness raging through the populace, and the Hanged Man has been ruined by monsoons.

Oh, and the deal he’s been striking for the past hour has just been toppled by the screeching of some harpy fresh off the portal. Hence his approach; if someone’s going to upset his night, he’s damned well going to upset theirs right back.

But look at her, both physically and telepathically speaking, tells him everything. ”Fuckin’ Outlanders,” he grates, rubbing at the scruff on his chin. Forcing a saccharine smile, he dips into a roguish bow. ”Welcome to Torchline, darlin’. Now fuck off.”

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Her eyes met his, igniting the stubborn spark in her. She was fully prepared to go down kicking if he was the type to take advantage of someone in her state. She had little on her person other than a few coins and a couple of throwing knives, so it's not like he'd be able to steal anything of significant worth. The rest of her gear had fallen or gotten destroyed in her.. travels, if it could be called that. Aside from the clothes on her back, she hadn't much to her name. That reality was starting to sink in as he cast a tall shadow across her face.

There was regret in the hesitant flick of her eyes, the knot in her throat, and the flush of her face. At first his comment confused her but, she was already piecing that identity together anyway. "I'm not from here, no," she muttered back, eyeing him up and down. He didn't have a lot of bulk, at least.

Her shoulders jumped and she unsheathed the knife when he suddenly moved but, she slowly relaxed as she realized he was... bowing. A deep furrow threaded her browline, as his last words did not match the gesture. With a small, quick movement she returned the knife to its place on her belt. She heaved with the effort it took to get upright, a rush suddenly pulsing into her head. For a moment, she swayed but, she was able to steady herself on a nearby stack of boxes.

"Hh-" she gulped, "hold on, you-" she looked back at his scruffy face, noting to herself that there wasn't truly much of a height difference between them. She wondered, then, if he was apart of it all. Did he help? Is he an accomplice? If that's the case, this must be... where they all hide. Her aggravation spiked; she'd been thrown into the belly of the beast!

"What's going on?! Tell me what you know-" she moved to snatch his arm and ensure he did not escape, "who are you!? Are you working with the mages?! Tell me how to get back to Oreville!"

Aurelia
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
Jack has half turned away, fully intending to leave the stranger to whatever the fuck she wants to do out here in the dark with her brand new life. Oh but then she reaches out and snags at him, the smuggler’s arm flinching away not quite in time; a mixture of fatigue and probably a good amount of whiskey has dampened his reflexes. Not by much, though - her hand circles his wrist and he returns the favour, leaving them locked together in a clumsy sort of grapple.

”Call me Jack.” He flashes a rather unpleasant grin in her direction. ”Ain’t got a fuckin’ clue what an Oreville is, an’ in Torchline, we call ‘em Abandoned. I’ll work with anyone if the pay’s good enough.” He levels her with a sharp, blue eyed gaze. ”Listen, I know it’s all very upsettin’ and whatnot, bein’ dragged into a brave new world. But you’re gonna have to stop the hysteria, else we ain’t gonna be friends.” They probably won’t be anyway, but hey ho.

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia clenched her jaw tightly and squared against him but, she made no attack. This show - or whatever it was - he was putting on for her was anything but a warm welcome. He was clearly not happy with her presence there, for disrupting whatever he had going on. The sharp smell of his breath made her nose curl. The glint of his teeth made the hair on the back of her neck stand up. She knew it wasn't a kind gesture; it was more like a snarl, though she had never seen a person do that.

She glared back at him as he spoke but, deep down, she felt a prick of fear rush through her blood. She didn't know this man or what he was capable of. He could've been a mage, himself, but for now he didn't seem keen on using his magic against her. He should've, especially since she had provoked him. Although, he was lacking in the symbolic tattoos many mages adorned.

Her expression relaxed from anger into something like defeat. Her grip slackened on his wrist and she pulled away. Taking in the new world again, her eyes wandered all around them until finally resting back on his.

He's telling the truth, isn't he? As suspicious as the whole situation was... she believed him.

"Sorry. I-" her tone was less forceful this time, "my partner and I were ambushed, that's why there's blood... I don't know what they cast on me exactly, but I know I don't feel right. That mage must have put a curse on me when he sent me here," she mumbled that last sentence bitterly. The headache that she was developing was becoming painful. She brought up two of her fingers to rub the temple of her forehead, but it did little to ease her pain. She furrowed her brow and asked, "How did you already know what happened to me?"

If he could start saying things that make sense then maybe I can figure out my way home from here. My sisters must be worried.. Seren's probably dead - or worse.

Aurelia
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
She might pull away - eventually - but Jack’s grip stays firm for a second, the sharpness glass of his eyes never leaving hers, as if to remind her that actions might just have consequences (whatever world you find yourself in). In the end, though, he does let her go, and his silence in the wake of her explanation might suggest a hundred things. Is he drunk, taking a while for her words to sink in? Is he doubtful of what she says? Or, as is the truth, is Jack merely taking sock of thought and feeling, the words and the echo of words beneath it, before forming a response?

”You’re in Torchline, love. Luckily, not many will think twice about the blood. Not on the beach in the middle of the night.” Still, he looks her up and down, just in case there’s more than a knife on her. Huffing out a sigh, Jack tsks under his breath and turns away, beckoning that she might follow.

”Wasn’t a mage that pushed you here. You were pulled by the Voice. Happens fairly often - first time I’ve had the pleasure of seein’ someone right after they zip through a portal.” Jack glances over his shoulder. ”Now if any of what I’ve said has given you more questions than answers, come with me. This is gonna need a drink - for both of us. You got a name?”

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
She felt the warning in his stern look as clear as if he spoke it. She pursed her lips together in acknowledgement, blinking from his intensity. Aurelia wasn't sure what to make of the silence that stretched out for several moments. She wondered if he believed her, in contrast to their previous scenario.

Well, I guess Torchline isn't so different from my city after all. She didn't get the chance to say that out loud because he had turned away. For a split second, she wondered if that was it; if that was all the clarity he was going to offer. When he beckoned her to follow him, her eyes widened in surprise.

She hesitated, letting a few feet of distance grow between them, glancing around. His words got through to her, though, and he gave her little time to think of whether or not following him was a good idea. "Damned if I do, damned if I don't," she grumbled to herself.

"Alright, ya got me," she sighed, moving across the wooden planks so that she wasn't too far behind him. Clearing her throat, she made sure to place a comfortable distance between them.

She looked up at the side of his angular face and answered with a wave of her hand, "Yes. It's Aurelia," though she moved on quickly from the pleasantries. She was hugging herself as she walked. Bitter frustration was spreading through her, burning beneath her skin. It darkened her tone, "I'm no damsel in distress, either. I can put up a proper fight... just not against shit I can't see. If the 'voice' does this so often, you'd think it would do us 'outlanders' the pleasure of wiping our fucking memories. What even is that supposed to mean? A 'voice' is not powerful enough to do something like that without having someone behind it. Do your people have problems with magic-users here too?" She was trying not to go too heavy on the questions. Still, the prospect of that being the case piqued her interest. If it is, I could offer my skills up in exchange for help from these 'inlanders' - or whatever they're called.

Aurelia
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
That’s the spirit, Jack thinks cheerfully to himself, her grumble filtering through to him no matter how quietly she might mutter it. Able to sense her behind him, his ears are sharp for her name, and he nods once in acknowledgement.

”Oh, I know you ain’t no damsel. Torchline’s got no use for damsels, so it’s a good thing there’s a bit of fire in you,” he calls over his shoulder, strolling along the docks until shadows start to loom up at one side; silhouettes of ships, pinpricks of lanterns from within telling that some are occupied.

Turning to walk lazily backwards, Jack considers her questions - and everything else about her at the same time, both said and unsaid. ”The Voice is a goddess. That’s just what they call her,” he explains. ”An’ my people ain’t got a problem with magic, no. Some places in Caido might, but Torchline welcomes all sorts. Magic is a pretty useful thing to have when you’re out at sea.”

Speaking of which, the smuggler pauses next to a gangplank, leading up to a galleon that sits in the water like a sleeping beast. ”This is The Ark. After you,” he says, gesturing up the plank.

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia turned her eyes to the galleon, admiring its structure. She was intimidated beneath its towering visage. Her gaze raked up the sturdy wooden beams, over the windows for the cannons, and finally to the dark red sails.

Her feet felt like immovable stones for a moment when she realized he had said 'after you'. She checked back on him, eyeing his person. She turned and stepped up the bridge, gripping the rope rail as she went.

"In my city-" she sucked in a sharp breath and paused when the ship lurched. She could hear the distant rumble of voices from somewhere inside the ship, or perhaps it was a nearby ship. She let out her breath and continued, "in my city, Oreville, magic is forbidden by law. Because of the destruction it causes, because magic is evil."

At that point, they were upon the ship and Aurelia stepped aside to allow him room. She didn't know any other line of thought surrounding the issues of magic. Nor had she ever spoke to anyone who outwardly thought the use of magic was justified. Magic had taken everything from her, as well as many other people she knew. It was still fucking her over, actually. His notion of 'magic is alright' wasn't all that compelling to her.

"Jack, right? What you're suggesting... that some goddess I've never heard of called me here for no discernable reason, with no explanation..." she trailed off. Suddenly, she laughed, bringing her hand up to her forehead as she shook it back and forth, "that's insane! Why?!"

She stifled her exasperation as she watched what he was going to do next. She knew nothing about the ship or who it might occupy, and she did not intend on walking in on something she shouldn't. She did take a glance around, but nothing particularly struck her as odd. Then again, she didn't really know what to expect.

Aurelia
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
”Your city sounds delightful,” Jack says, following after her to the deck of the ship, knowing each groove and board well enough now that, even with drink in him, he doesn’t need the additional security of the rope. When they’re on deck he leads them across to a large, closed barrel next to the railing - it’s empty right now, but usually it’s full of provisions or drinking water.

Jack pulls a small flask from his back pocket, plonking it down on top of the barrel and leaning against the side of the ship to watch Haulani’s dancing lights in the distance. He nods for her to take a pull from the flask; if she does she’ll find it’s whiskey, and a decent sort too. ”Don’t get me wrong, Abandoned - magic users - aren’t real liked by the Old Gods here. Hence the name. But it doesn’t make ‘em any less useful. Evil’s a bit of a strong word, though.”

He slips out out a smoke and a matchbook next, lightning up and taking a pull. ”Oh obviously it’s insane,” he agrees, ”but you’re sure as fuck here, ain’t you? She whips people in from all over the place to help her cause, supposedly. None of ‘em know how they got here though. Granted, all’a what I’m tellin’ you is rumour, so it might be wrong.”
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia sighed and looked down - coincidentally at the flask. Orange light from the lamps reflected off of its dim, scuffed surface. He had mentioned they could both use a drink for this conversation so, she supposed she was obligated to at least... try it. She stepped up to the barrel. She leaned down on it with both elbows and picked up the cold flask. She turned it over in her hands, examining it.

So she took a swig, squinting against the taste. As soon as it was over, she spluttered and gagged, "agh! Shi-i-it!" Once she screwed the cap back on, she slammed it back on the barrel as if it were toxic poison. Her face contorted in disgust. "No offense but, that's terrible," her voice was hoarse. She used the back of her hand to wipe her chin. It felt like the drink had doused her insides and set them aflame. It was warming, at least.

There were a few minutes of contemplative silence, at least from her end, while she wrapped her head around what he'd told her. Smoke suddenly slithered through the air and coiled around her nostrils. She pulled away from it and looked over at Jack, who balanced a cigarette between his fingers. Her fingers picked absently at the scabs and minute bruises on her hands.

"Well... do you know if anyone like me has ever gotten back to where they came from? Wherever that is now," her gaze wandered over the dark, open waters. She had a feeling she knew what his answer would be.

Aurelia
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
She takes a pull from the flask - and makes a fuckin’ fuss about it, too - and Jack can’t help but snort out a laugh as he exhales a stream of smoke. ”If you reckon that’s terrible, don’t try any of the other stuff,” he suggests to her, plucking up the flask and taking a healthy swig from it himself. Once he’s done, Jack tucks it back into his pocket and gives his full attention to Aurelia, so she has no doubt as to whether or not he’s being serious.

”I’ve no fuckin’ idea,” he says. ”Doubt it, though. People go missin’, people leave town and never come back. Did they go back where they came from, or did they get killed while they were tryin’ to find a way?” He scoffs. ”Honestly, what you should be worryin’ about more is where your next meal’s comin’ from. Lucky for you, I might be here to answer all your prayers. How charitable of me.”
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
She expected the answer to be a firm 'no'. When he said he had no idea, her eyebrows lifted up in surprise. Jack's doubt was more certain than anything, though, and she didn't sense any bit of optimism from him. His callous scoff, a metaphorical shrug to the whereabouts of those who had disappeared, made her dig her fingernails into the skin of her palm. Still, he ended on a point that pulled her thoughts away from her flaring temper. He was right, she needed to figure out what she would do in the meantime - regardless of whether getting home was possible or not. She relaxed her fingers, but still remained tense.

"Why in the world would you do that?" This time it was her who scoffed, "Don't take this the wrong way, Jack. But, if we're being honest, you don't seem the charitable type - and I don't want any hand-outs, anyway," she stood fully upright and crossed her arms, giving her head a skeptical tilt, "what is it that you're offering, exactly?"

This would be the point where some people would try to blackmail her into doing something unsavory, whether that was a sexual favor or something illegal; something immoral (at least, to her). Aurelia's eyes narrowed.
Aurelia
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
They each say nothing for a moment or so, Aurelia digesting what he’s said and Jack digesting her thoughts on the matter. And honestly, the quip is refreshing enough to get a smile flickering across his lips, the smuggler itching at the scruff on his chin. ”Good. I ain’t the charitable type, and I ain’t the type to give hand-outs, either.” He gestures around the ship they stand upon.

”I recently lost my navigator, an’ we sail again at the end of the season - couple weeks away, if that. Ain’t a problem, but if I’ve gotta have my eyes on the sea now, I’ll need extra on deck. You see where this is goin’?” There’s no blackmail about it - Jack is unsavoury through and through, though of course she won’t know quite that much about it just yet. Always time for that, though.