An eye for... is that blood?
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE
So, baby-doll, don't you lose your touch
You take it all cause you're never gonna take too...
It was finally time. This would have been easier if he’d been just a little more timely, if he hadn’t underestimated the fucking cat, and gotten what he needed while storms were still abundant. Focusing on the past would just drive him crazy though, stressing over things he couldn’t change, time he couldn’t get back. Better to keep his eye forward, and to the sky, watching for some sign of stormy weather.

Something has to have taken pity on him, as a hot, stuffy day gives way to a dark, cloudy night, the air seeming to grow thicker and heavier until finally, everything bursts, and rain pours in buckets.

Honestly, Nate doesn’t remember until the last minute that the shrine is broken, or, was broken, some helpful soul more successful than he, Amun, and Mabel had been, a thought that brings a twinge of guilt with it.

By the time he’s safely within the shrines cave, he looks like a drowned rat, hair and clothes both drenched, clinging closely to his skin. Clutched in his hand is a diamond, it’s rough edges pressing into his palm, and a tightly sealed vial, filled with admittedly old sear cats blood. All the pieces were together.

”I’m sorry it took me so long to do this.” How far he’s come from expecting the Voice to ignore him on principle, now speaking without even waiting for her to appear. ”I lost more time than I wanted to. But... I’m back now, thanks to you.”

I will remember all the stuff on the first try one day but that day is not today

Getting the diamond with Zeph - don't shut down on me now
Getting sear cat blood with Milo - Blown on the Steel Breeze
Losing control and you lose your touch
You take it all, cause you're never gonna take too much

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the Voice
”But you did do it, in the end.” She appears, no longer as a hologram, in an ethereal flurry of sparks and bright light. And there is no hesitance, for what feels like the first time between them; the Voice steps forward to greet Nate, reaching up to cup his face in her hands and look at his eyes - well, soon to be eyes. ”And I know that you tried. You and the others. And I am very proud of you.”

Stepping back, she gazes now at all that he has brought with him, smiling gently. ”And on a stormy night, too. Come, then. Before we do this, would you like to replenish yourself?” She is already turning towards the entrance to the shrine, where the rain heaves and thrashes outside.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
Hands wrap around his jaw, bringing a crackle of warmth with them, and planting a serene smile on Nate’s face. ”Even if it wasn’t me, I’m glad something got through to Loren.” He snorts, shaking his head as the Voice pulls away from him. ”I’m glad to be better.”

As the Voice goes, so too does Nate, turning to follow her towards the mouth of the cave, back into the drenching sheets of rain. ”No, I can wait. I’d rather...” A hand rises to gesture towards his face, impatience clear in every part of him. This was an existence he’d gotten used to, sure, but not one he preferred. Not when he’d already waited so long.

Change author:
the Voice
”And that is all that matters. That a cure could be made, and that you are all well again.” Smiling her understanding, she nods and guides them out into the storm. A gentle but invisible force eases the diamond and the blood out of his hands, both hovering before Ascended and goddess. The blood removes itself from the vial, dark and somehow unaffected by the lashing ran, and wraps itself around the gem until it glints a dark, crimson red.

”Nate, do you trust me?” The Voice reaches up, her fingers sliding gently against the back of his neck, into his hair, to carefully hold his head still. And before him hovers the scarlet diamond, mere inches away from his sightless eye.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
It’s impossible to disagree with the words. Despite the trouble they’d gone though, the only thing that mattered was the cure, the health it brought with it. The health the Voice has brought. The items he’d been tasked with gathering leave his hands willingly, Nate trying to split his gaze between their tiny floating shadows, and his goddess.

Fingers slipping along the back of his neck, into his hair send a shiver down his spine, Nate feeling all at once vulnerable and comforted. He lets his gaze slip away from the blood covered diamond, focusing solely on the Voices face as his answer comes, with hesitation, without uncertainty. ”I trust you.”

Change author:
the Voice
”Good. Please hold still.” She will disappear from his field of vision, sidling up behind him to hold his head steady, tilting it up towards the stormy skies above. The blood diamond hovers there still, just above his scarred eye, and the rain roars down upon them. But storms are made not only out of rain, and it does not take long - not with the goddess’s presence - for lightning to be attracted.

And when it strikes, it fills the world all around, blinding for a second as it lances through the gem and into Nate, a shock powerful enough that it ought to have thrown him off his feet.

But it doesn’t. And when darkness drops around them again, the Voice will still be clasping hold of him, stepping back around to inspect her work. He might keep the scars, yes, and this new eye might be a slightly different colour... but he should be able to see perfectly. ”How is it?”

Nate has completed his quest and has received the following upgrade:

Optical Upgrade (Precognition) | A prosthetic eye infused with the blood of a sear cat. The user may ‘see’ a potential upcoming event once per season. Contact the admin team for your seasonal vision!
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Holding still is something of a specialty for the ascended, and it's made easier by the fact that he can still the Voice, even if she disappears from view. Nate has enough of an idea of what's coming to wish he didn't, but he can't look away from the mounting storm, even to glance towards the diamond hovering before him.

The strike is almost indescribable, somehow setting every bit of him alight, while not harming him at all. If anything, it only bolsters Nate's faith in the goddess, though not as much as when his vision clears. He'd gotten so used to half his vision having it restored is nearly overwhelming, but there's no small amount of awe in his voice. "It's perfect. I... thank you."

Though he knows deep down that he'd earned this, that it had been the reason he'd gone to the troubles he had, feeling indebted to anyone is not something that sits well in Nate. "There has to be something I can do to repay you." An idea occurs to him suddenly, something half-remembered and half just occurring to him. "There's a place in the Climb, made of obsidian. I can... claim part of it for you." It's a suggestion that a year ago would have seemed like nonsense, but it's all too earnest now.

Change author:
the Voice
"You did all the work, my bright one. I merely put the pieces together for you. Be careful with that eye, now. It might see more than it ought to, at times." Her smile to Nate is playful and enigmatic, a pragmatic suggestion to monitor the prosthetic rather than a warning. And she releases him, accustomed to his leaving as soon as their business is concluded, but he speaks again and the goddess before him seems to soften.

Guiding them back into the shelter of the shrine, even if it matters to neither of them if they should get wet from the storm, the Voice listens. She listens and she seems to glow with pride, with ambition. "That would be quite something," she informs him. "And it sounds like just the sort of place that would be perfect for the family. Is it not dangerous, though? A place so hot?"
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
”Putting it together is the part I can’t do though.” Nate points out, all warmth and jokes now that he’s healed. A side of himself he hasn’t let out often, not in front of his goddess at least. ”Without you... all I have is one eye, a diamond, and some cats blood.” The Voice leads them back into the protection of the shrine, Nate following along after her easily, basking in her glow and considering her questions with no small measure of seriousness.

If he’s being honest, the threat of heat, of rivers and bubbling cauldrons of lava and flames, they hadn’t been a deterrent his first only trip to the Climb. Even now, as Nate combs through his memory, searches with a more subtile gaze, he is hard pressed to give up such splendour for a simple worry of heat. Scars might remind him that he is not immortal, might keep him from falling into that trap again, but for now he is restored, and powerful for it.

”The... room,” it feels silly to call it a church, a cathedral, when it is so clearly lacking a divine body, ”is fairly well uh, insulated. There’s nothing open, the only dangerous part would be getting there, but, isn’t that at least a little bit of the point. Danger can be just as much of a deterrent as hiding something.” Theres a reason people got dogs, instead of moving to bunkers, after all. ”Humour me, just... what would I need to do?” Theres no way to tell why this particular hill is the one he's chosen to stop and die on, no way to tell if he’s being flattering, warm, or pushy, selfish somehow.

Change author:
the Voice
"Then we will both have to take partial credit," the Voice murmurs, seeming to warm further in response to Nate, feeding off his positivity. It has been a rarity thus far, after all, but they have made a breakthrough together (and the Ascended will find, once he leaves the shrine, that Pemota seems to adore him). Standing by and listening as he explains - about the room where the shrine might go, about its suitability, about danger's good attributes - she nods along.

And when Nate asks what he might do? The Voice is almost brimming with excitement, and it shows in the flickers of static on her form. She leans in, and with her lips against his ear, she begins to describe what is necessary.

Nate has received a quest from the Voice to build a New Gods shrine in the Climb!

He must do the following:

- Complete a thread collecting obsidian from the Spire
- Complete an Ascended-only PQ at the Obsidian Cathedral to build a shrine. The obsidian from the first thread must used in the PQ. All members of the PQ must use abilities they have siphoned.
- Once the PQ is completed, host a thread with at least half the Ascended attending the new shrine, and the Voice will activate it.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
It’s something a little strange for Nate, to have his insistence’s taken seriously by someone like the Voice, but it warms him as well, makes him feel... special, important. He’s not a child, he doesn’t need the validation, but it still feels good.

If he didn’t already want to do what he could for the Voice, he would definitely want to now.

And she seems just as eager as he does, leaning in and whispering instructions into his ears, a list of tasks he nods to, something solemn in the set of his jaw when the goddess draws back. ”You can count on me.” He promises, and with that, and a moment spent replenishing himself, he turns, and strides home with a renewed sense of purpose.

Fin