do it for your, dare I say forever
for Finn
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Age: 40 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 18 - Int:
OPHELIA - Regular - Brown Weeper Capuchin
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
as I hold my soul all the music pours out
Much has happened to Finn since the last time Falke had seen him more to do some cursory health checks after he was temporarily healed. Ah, temporarily isn’t the right word, as it’s on going - given a treatment might be better.

Regardless of how the Spyglass is staying sane, there is much to note about Finn’s circumstances: his grounding to Stormbreak, being healed by a Unicorn, the Owl given to him by Safrin. The dots are almost too scattered, the map too piecemeal to make sense of; and yet Falke must, so he’s requested a chat with Finn outside of their normal check-ins. Or in lieu of, since they technically missed some while he was ill.

Oh, semantics don’t seem to matter any more, do they?

And the simple pleasures seem quite important, so Falke decides to take this meeting outdoors, to a private cafe in the Plaza, where he knows the owners will give them privacy by tucking them away in a back corner and the public may look at the two Order members inquisitively, but they won’t be able to hear the conversation.

The Fixer has, of course, ordered some tea. And a scone - he really does love the lemon poppyseed ones they make here, with such a lovely, light glaze on it - one bite is all it takes to remember how moist and slightly sweet-tart they are. Gods, he needs to get of the Tower out more often. He needs more scones in his life.
THE 'FIXER'
the greatest fear I've ever kept is dying with regrets
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
when you bury your pain
It certainly has been a while since Finn’s last check-up with Falke, and wouldn’t you know, the Spyglass is actually looking forward to it. He steps into the cafe and spots the Fixer almost instantly, long legs taking him over to the table so he might join him. ”I had forgotten you had such a sweet tooth,” he remarks of the scone, sidling into his seat. With LongHeat still in full swing and Finn confined to Stormbreak, he has found himself outside more often than not these days.

And the result is a startlingly healthy looking Spyglass; lightly tanned with only faint shadows beneath his eyes, Finn is sleeping and eating and exercising. Precisely what the doctor ordered, one might say. ”Apologies for being late. It took longer than expected to get here from the Celestine.”
THE SPYGLASS
you only strengthen its roots
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Age: 40 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
“Guilty,” Falke freely admits, as he wets a finger and uses it to pick up the crumbs left by the first bite. The Fixer is smiling, clearly taken with the simple pleasures right now. “However, if you haven’t had one of Mags’ scones, you really are missing out.”

Or not, as the case may be. Thought this pastry is smile-worthy, it isn’t what prompts The Fixer’s easy smile as he looks up at Finn. A very different Finn than the one he last saw - this version of him looks healthy and dare he guess, happy? Perhaps that is yet to be determined, but it puts the good doctor’s heart at ease to see his patient doing so well.

“Not a problem. I heard they have a unicorn in there right now, is that true?” As a healer, he has a natural fascination with the creatures, even though they do use magic. Mags comes over and asks Finn if he wants anything to eat or drink, which allows Falke the time to pull a new notebook out of his bag along with a pen and then adjust things accordingly on the table so that all is within easy reach.
THE 'FIXER'
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
when you bury your pain
"I can't confess that I have. I have missed out on a remarkable amount over the past few weeks, so it won't take much to persuade me." Finn glances up at Mags as she approaches them, ordering himself a scone (his is plain, but he orders cream and jam to go with it) and ordering Falke a second one for the road, along with a pot of tea. Whatever social mask he puts in place is impeccable this afternoon, and the Spyglass glances back at his counterpart just in time to watch him take out his notebook.

He smiles softly and nods about the unicorn, flexing his fingers beneath the table. "Indeed there is. Doctor Hart and I went for a walk in the Celestine and we came across it. It was kind enough to heal my broken hand, so I have been bringing it fruit from the marketplace as a show of gratitude. It is why I was late, in truth."
THE SPYGLASS
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
Falke knows it's a mask. He knows Finn knows he knows it’s a mask. But it’s a damn good mask and the Fixer would give him an A+ for it, if this were social survival class.

He also knows knows he’s done a bit to warrant a loss of trust from the Spyglass. They were done because they had to be done, but that doesn’t make it any less of a barrier between them. And when the goal is to not have a barrier between them, that makes this job rather difficult. Murmuring a thank you for the extra scone, Falke takes a long, assessing look at the man across from him and decides to do away with further small talk about the unicorn (though he would most certainly be giving the creature a visit soon, if it sticks around).

“I have to say that this is a remarkable change. You look better than I’ve seen you in a long time. How are you feeling? Do you think this change is the effects of the hotsprings’ water, or something else?” A friend, perhaps? A lack of responsibility, being away from Cian?
THE 'FIXER'
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
when you bury your pain
That's the thing about trust. Whilst Finn knows that Falke's heart is always going to be in right place (as is Tobi's, and any other number of the Order members who treat him with kindness), there's no escaping what they do for a living, and what that means when it comes to reporting those among them with flaws. And in Finn's case, his flaws are enough to earn him being grounded in StormBreak. So he will not begrudge the Fixer the truths of his situation, even knowing whose ears they will be whispered into. But make no mistake about it - there is no trust.

"It certainly feels like a remarkable change," he agrees mildly, a smile tugging at his lips as he settles back in his seat. "I feel good. Steady, you might say." As for what has brought about the change? His smile fades a little. "My glasses have gone missing," he explains. "And I have a routine again now. I've been getting regular medication to help with sleeping. So probably a combination of things."
THE SPYGLASS
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
“Excellent,” Falke says as he makes a few quick, shorthanded jots down. “I’m always amazed at what sleep can do for a person.” And with insomnia being a large part of Finn’s ‘problems,’ it’s no small accomplishment.

So he has a routine, he’s getting sunshine and exercise (and let’s face it, Finn’s indoor proclivities probably gave him a vitamin D deficiency), and he no longer has his glasses. That’s something… Falke takes a sip of the tea and a small bite of the scone before continuing on with that vein of thought. “And how do you feel about not having your glasses?” Finn is, after all, The Spyglass. Is this version of him, the one on a forced sabbatical, able to re-integrate back into the work?
THE 'FIXER'
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
when you bury your pain
"As am I." Finn smiles up at Mags as she returns with his tea and scone, blowing the steam from his cup and holding it between his hands, as if his fingers need warming (unlikely in the LongHeat afternoon). "I knew I always felt better after a good night's sleep, but I confess that I rarely gave it credit." He falls quiet to let Falke write his notes, spreading jam and cream onto his scone and taking a moment to enjoy it before offering a response.

"I feel good," he offers slowly, lifting his stormy gaze to let it settle back on Falke. "I have been able to focus on a lot of work left by the wayside. It... has been a surprising balm, not to have them." Though there is something about his tone that suggests he does not believe the spectacles will be lost forever. Cian has his ways, and he has been under the Eye's thumb for as long as he can remember.
THE SPYGLASS
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
“Oh?” Falke says lightly, intrigued by this mention of other work. “Tell me more about this other work.” He isn’t trying to pry into the potentially secret things Finn is working on, but many of their sessions have focused on Finn’s fatigue and stress that hearing he has work he finds a balm is something positive indeed.

Unfortunately for Falke, he knows that what he could - and should - recommend to Cian is very likely something that will not be possible. Or will go unheeded. What’s good for one member may not be good for the entire Order, nay, the world - and the Fixer hates that.

“Have you had any more overwhelming thoughts about the demigods you met?” Either of them, though he can (and probably) should narrow it down to Remi. He’s only recently met Amalia himself and can easily see how the young woman could inspire a crush, one that would intensify with delirium. That she has no idea the effect she has on others only worsens it, in the Fixer’s mind. But Remi? Remi sounded like another problem entirely.
THE 'FIXER'
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
when you bury your pain
Perhaps he's playing right into his doctor's hands (he absolutely is, but he no longer cares) but Finn is all too happy to explain about his extra work now that he isn't so focused on tracking down demigods. He finishes his bite of scone and sips at his tea, before settling back in his seat and explaining. "I've been looking into the number of demigods who have appeared over the past few years - since the barrier went down. I want to compare it to when the Voice and the Old Gods were at war."

He thinks it's a simple enough conclusion to draw; if more demigods had appeared back then as well, it's a safe assumption to think that their deities may be gearing up for another war. Another sip of tea and a gentle shake of his head gives Finn's response to the Fixer's second question, and although the Spyglass averts his eyes, he's genuine in his reply. "None," he says softly. "I have been more focused on myself and my work than any of the people I met outside of StormBreak. It has been... nice."
THE SPYGLASS
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
Falke puts down his pen for a moment and returns his full focus to Finn and his new work. Nodding thoughtfully at the explanation, he looks intently at the man across the table from him. “Do you think we will end up at war again?” The Fixer doesn’t really expect the Spyglass to tell him the answer, but he does want to make sure that Finn knows he’s being taken seriously - glasses or not. After all, their conversations need not always be about his problems.

It can be about the world’s, too.

Of which there are many. Which makes Falke even more surprised to hear that he’s been focusing on himself. Nodding in approval (everyone needs some me time), the Fixer hems and haws internally for a moment. “If you had the choice, would you continue this kind of work for the Order? Instead of using the glasses? I can’t help but wonder if this isn’t a better avenue for you.” It is, perhaps, just voicing a wish; there would be many obstacles to changing Finn’s role, the least of which would be Cian.
THE 'FIXER'
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
when you bury your pain
Finn focuses intently on his cup of tea as Falke asks his question, and his smile, when it comes, is a resigned sort of thing that says it does not matter what he thinks. The inevitable may already be set in motion. "I am always hopeful that it will not come to that," he says quietly. That sort of loss of life is never something to idealise, however much the research shows it is on its way. Taking another sip of tea and finishing off his scone, he raises the last bite in a cheers to the Fixer, as if to agree that they are worthy of the praise he gave them when Finn walked in.

He's almost prepared for the question when it comes, as if they both know that his reprieve here, working on these other projects, is nothing more than that. The smile he shoots across to the other man is a sad one, and Finn rolls his shoulders in a shrug. "It is complicated," he says. "On the one hand yes, of course I agree with you. On the other... if I am not doing the work of the Spyglass, someone else will have to." The expression on Finn's face tells that it's not a role he would wish on many.
THE SPYGLASS
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
Humming a quiet agreement in the back of his throat, The Fixer agrees. “Likewise.” It’s the sort of thing no one should be surprised to hear; he is a man who has dedicated himself to making people whole again and war is the kind of thing which deals in deep scars and hidden traumas in addition to the physical injuries. Falke has no desire to see his people, his friends, colleagues, and patients, sucked into something like that even though it’s what the Order was made for.

Reutrning the salute with a weak smile, Falke takes a sip of his own cooling tea in response. “I’m here for you, to find the best way to keep you active and moving forward. You’ve spent years worrying about others.” Their pleasure, whether or not they believe him when he says how the glasses work, staying on Cian’s good side. “Now I want you to continue to focus on yourself. You’re terribly smart, with the best of intentions - but falling into that kind of mental state again is not in anyone’s best interest.” It’s irresponsible. Damaging to more than just himself. It's damaging to the Order.

Folding his hands and resting his lips against the outer edges, Falke lapses for a moment of consideration, studying Finn from under thickish brows.
THE 'FIXER'
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
when you bury your pain
With the scone finished, Finn relaxes a touch in his seat, his fingers wrapping around the warmth of his cup of tea now that it isn't too hot to hold. He studies the steaming liquid rather than Falke; the words are things he has oft heard from the Fixer, but for once they seem to be sinking in. He nods his gentle agreement. "I agree with you," he says. "Perhaps there can be a limit on my work as Spyglass. I think if I were able to take a reprieve, I might be able to build further resilience."

It's the kind of naked statement that would never have come from Finn even a few weeks before, but even the Spyglass can see his own steps forward, since the glasses have been taken from his grasp. Stormy eyes flicker up as silence stretches on between them, and at finding Falke studying him, Finn promptly lets his eyes drop again. Scrutiny is something he is unconsciously used to, and he politely waits until the other man is finished.
THE SPYGLASS