Winter's Bite
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081

Isla remembered Phoebe - the midwife had helped her when Roana and Ronin had been gravely injured by the Spire Demon. She had thanked the young woman afterwards, but hadn't really seen her since. Indeed, she'd almost expected her to become a regular at the infirmary, but then she had heard on the grapevine that Phoebe had set herself a clinic up within the Settlement instead. Not knowing how much she had by way of equipment or supplies, Isla wanted to check on her if nothing more and see if there was anything she might do to help.

So with that in mind - especially given the poor weather - the new Ascended had bundled up and set off for the settlement with a basket and a pack over her shoulder. In the basket was some food, herbal medicines and a few tools. In the pack were some freshly folded towels.

When she arrived, Isla reached out to knock politely at the door - it had just gotten dark, and she hoped she wasn't too late.

Isla
the flesh is weak
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
phoebe
Sleep and I shall soothe you, calm you, and annoint you
Too late? Never. Phoebe was a midwife and babies did not know what time was or was not. She was available all hours of the day or night without exception (well, maybe if she was dying or something). Extreme situations aside, there was no real way to be too late. Besides. Phoebe lived above her practice anyways. She had been fussing around the clinic when she heard a knock. Goodness, people were going to have to learn to just let themselves in! Maybe once some panicking papas had a laboring woman waiting on them they would learn.

The young midwife made her way to the door, dressed in a light dress, thick tresses up in a messy bun atop her head. She was surprised to see Isla there. ”Oh! Miss Isla, welcome! Do come in!” she said, stepping aside so the medic could enter. She would see the fruits of Phoebe and gang’s labor: the room was cozy and warm, with a blazing fire lighting everything in a soft glow. Calming incense and brewed teas filled the air with a soothing, homey scent. There were a few plush couches with pillows and throw blankets, little rugs to ward off the chill of the hardwood floor. The curtains in the back indicated the individual rooms she had, equally cozy as the main space. By no means was this an ordinary clinic.

”What brings you this evening?” Phoebe asked in her bright, friendly way.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Isla smiled brightly as the young midwife opened the door, nodding to her in greeting and stepping inside, glad to be out of the cold even though she couldn't exactly feel it any longer. "Good evening, Phoebe - it's good to see you again." They had bonded, somewhat, over the grievous injuries dealt to those trying to fight the Spire Demon, and it was admittedly nice to see the midwife in a situation that didn't call for immediate medical attention.

Pebble blue eyes widened a fraction at the sight of the homey little clinic, a delighted smile tugging at the corners of her lips. It was a far cry from the necessary but sterile environment of the infirmary, and she could see just why Phoebe had wanted a place to call her own for her practice. "This looks lovely," she said with honest admiration. "You must be a sanctuary for any labouring woman." Flashing her a grin, she turned and offered out the basket.

"I heard you had just set up shop, so I thought I would bring by some things from the infirmary, in case you were short some tools."

Isla
the flesh is weak
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
phoebe
Phoebe grinned under the praise from Isla. She didn’t know the medic particularly well, so it wasn’t because she felt close to the woman that she appreciated the praise; it was because she was a medical professional. Sure, Phoebe knew a thing or two about some basic medical care – she had to. But she was very specialized in her line of work, whereas Isla had a much broader knowledge and skillset. To get praise from her was to get praise rooted in knowledge about her line of work at least in some sense. ”It is good to see you as well, and thank you so much. I certainly hope it will be, though pregnant women are currently few and far between it seems.” Phoebe said.

But she wasn’t concerned about the lack of immediate work. There were men and women a plenty in Caido. It was only a matter of time before her clientele increased.

Her eyes widened a little in surprise when Isla said she had brought medical supplies with to give her. She glanced at what had been brought and smiled brightly. She had some basic tools but nothing of the quality that Isla brought. ”These will be very helpful and are much needed, thank you.” she said with a grin. ”It is hard to barter for things when all I have to offer is if you or someone you know ever get pregnant someday I can help!” she said with a light laugh.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"There is a LongNight coming and people will be stuck indoors. Give it a few months after that and I am sure you will be inundated with ladies looking for your expertise. And if I see any in the infirmary in the meantime I will certainly send them your way." Isla grinned and tipped a wink to the midwife; what else would people have to do when the lights went out and they were forced to stay indoors?

Vaguely she wondered if the majority of people in the Hollowed Ground were summer children, given that this LongNight happened every year. Isla nodded and seemed happy that she had managed to help Phoebe out, slipping the pack from her shoulder and offering that out as well. "These are just some clean towels - we had some extra. I know that you can never have too many in this line of work. I'd love to see the place, if you have the time to give me a tour?"

Isla
the flesh is weak
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
phoebe
Phoebe grinned and nodded at Isla’s assumption. “It’s true, Long Night or no, there is always an influx of patients in late winter, early spring.” What else were people with a significant other going to do when it was too cold or too dark to go outside? You’re cold so you snuggle up to your sweetie. You’re both bored because there is nothing to do or see. One thing leads to another…and surprise women end up pregnant left and right. It was something predictable that she could plan for. ”But I think Long Night will probably exacerbate that. I, however, will probably spend it here, alone.” she said with a soft sigh. ”What about yourself?

Phoebe brightened up when she saw the extra towels Isla had brought. ”Oh, very much so! Thank you! You’re far too kind.” she said with a grin as she accepted them. Towels were one of those things she could never have enough of given their many uses in her practice. ”Of course! It isn’t as impressive as your infirmary but I am happy to show you around.” Phoebe said. Granted, she didn’t necessarily need as much as the infirmary since she tended to see the same things over and over again. There was of course the main room, where she could meet with expecting mothers or their families. The three private rooms in the back with beds. ”I still need to find someone to make a birthing stool but I haven’t found a decent carpenter yet.” she explained. Then there was the tables and cabinetry in the far back where she had all her herbal remedies, some prepared, some just ingredients to mix as needed.

”I actually live upstairs. So if I am not down here, or it is the middle of the night, people can still come in and ring this bell here to get me. My friend Remi helped me set it up.” she said with a smile.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"Quite," Isla agreed with a wry smile. "At least you know this cozy little clinic won't stay quiet for long." No doubt it would soon be rife with the wails of newborns. Not something Isla had ever professed to want (and now it wasn't something she could do even if she did want to), but each to their own. Her eyes widened a fraction at learning that Phoebe would be spending LongNight there alone, the medic glancing around.

"Are you sure? We don't know what is meant to happen in this week or more of darkness... I'll be staying at the infirmary, with patients who aren't able to go home. You're welcome to join me and stay there if you like."

Smiling, she waved Phoebe off at her modesty; indeed, Isla quite liked the homey touches in the clinic. It would no doubt put any expecting mother at ease. The infirmary was cold and clinical by necessity, but given the choice she might have wanted to add a few flourishes like this.

"I will keep my ears open for any carpenters that might have occasion to visit the infirmary," she told the other woman with a grin, glancing around with obvious interest as she was shown the clinic, its rooms and its reception. It didn't surprise her to learn that Phoebe lived upstairs, but as Remi's name left her lips she brightened considerably. "Did he? That's wonderful, and rather unsurprising. I know him well enough to know he always wants to lend a hand."

Isla
the flesh is weak
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
phoebe
Phoebe grinned and nodded at Isla’s words. ”That is the hope anyways. It is essential to our survival in a way.” If babies weren’t born and raised, eventually they would all die out. It was incredibly important that birth rates remain steady. In a new world like this, where there were plenty of dangers, a high birth rate would hopefully help sustain them long turn. Of course, reminding people of that usually fell on deaf ears she found.

The young midwife wasn’t sure how to take Isla’s concern for her at first. Remi had shown concern for her, though usually in regards to her quest for Frey, but without really any family left and few friends, Phoebe hadn’t been worried about in…A long time. Long enough that she couldn’t rightly remember the last time someone worried about her openly. She bit her lip nervously and glanced at the floor. ”Well…I didn’t want to bother Remi about it, since I tend to bother him a lot…and I don’t really know anyone else well enough to ask.” At the offer to stay at the infirmary with her, she looked up in surprise. ”Would that really be alright? I can help you with the patients if you’d like as recompense?” She didn’t know as much about healing as Isla, certainly, but she knew some of the basics to at least be moderately helpful.

”I’d appreciate it.” she said with a smile. If Isla kept an ear out for someone with carpentry skills it certainly wouldn’t take too long to get the last of the tools she needed. ”Yes, Remi is very kind. He is really my only friend…which sounds awful when I say that.” she said with a light blush. ”I wish there was more I could do to help him. He has gone well out of his way for me more than once.”
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"Of course it would be alright," Isla said with a reassuring smile. "If anything it would be a pleasure to have you, and with any luck you will be able to make a few more connections. I don't know what this LongNight will bring but I absolutely don't feel comfortable with the idea of anyone sitting through it alone." Phoebe's offer to help with Isla's patients was met with a gentle nod. "It isn't necessary, but I would happily accept your help. Maybe we can teach each other a few things, and I can send any expectant families your way."

She spoke about Remi with as much warmth as Isla had expected - the alchemist was a sociable creature and she didn't think she had ever seen him take a dislike to someone, in truth. "Perhaps there is more you can do. What kind of help does he need? He often helps to provide me with tools - in exchange I have been teaching him basic medical training. Maybe you could do something similar?"

Isla
the flesh is weak
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
phoebe
Phoebe smiled as Isla spoke. It was perhaps only in this moment that Isla worried about her, because the issue was being presented to her upfront, but it still was nice. It reminded her of her sisters in a way, always looking out for her. For a moment her heart ached as she missed them. She wondered what they were doing now, if they were okay, how their families were...but it only lasted a moment. When she left Northwind for Northaven, she knew she would never see them again. Being here didn't change that. "You're very kind, thank you Isla. I will be sure to come to the infirmary for Long Night then." she said, genuinely appreciative of the woman's offer. The mention of perhaps learning some more medical care brightened her right up and she grinned broadly. "Oh yes, I would love that!" she said, clapping her hands in front of her in her excitement.

What kind of help did Remi need? Her thoughts immediately went to Frey's punishment and she frowned a bit. It wasn't really her place to say...but Phoebe was also a terrible liar. "I..." she started quietly, glancing down at her hands as she clasped them in front of her abdomen. "I am not...I don't really think there is anything I can help him with. Everything I could offer isn't...well it isn't his thing...midwifery is a pretty narrow field after all." she said with a tiny smile. Really, she had meant that Remi needed to go out and find passion, but she still wasn't really sure he could find passion with a woman if he really was attracted to men. And when she had offered to try and find him a boyfriend too he had been relatively dismissive. Fortunately though, the reasoning was the same for teaching him midwifery - it wasn't exactly a skill that he was likely yearning to develop.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

Grinning, Isla nodded once more. "Then it's settled. I'll see you at LongNight, and as long as there are no emergencies I'll teach you as much as I can. You can never tell when an excited and expectant father might pass out and bump his head, right?" She laughed. endeared by Phoebe's enthusiasm. If she was as skilled a student as she was eager (something Isla had little doubt about) then they'd have quite the productive LongNight.

Isla arched an eyebrow as the young midwife seemed to struggle internally with something. Innocent to Remi's preferences, she assumed she was lost in some other thought and gave another warm smile. "You never know, he might suddenly find his calling in midwifery! Until then, perhaps just taking some time to visit and check in on him might help. With food, usually. He is a workaholic, though I think we can both relate to that."

Isla
the flesh is weak
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
phoebe
The young midwife seemed to radiate light and happiness as Isla said the plans were settled. She had plans. She was expected and wanted by someone to be somewhere at a very specific time and place. She couldn’t remember the last time she had anything like this! When Isla joked about expecting fathers fainting during delivery, Phoebe laughed. ”It is surprisingly common, which is why I usually try to keep the fathers outside the room if I can. You’d think they’d be less squeamish but apparently none are prepared for the realities of labor.” she said with a laugh.

Even if Long Night was to be viewed with some trepidation, Phoebe was excited.

She was relieved that Isla didn’t seem to press her further regarding helping Remi in a romantic capacity. ”That is very true, he does work a lot.” she said with a smile. ”I think I will do just that! I can bring him food every now and then.” She did love cooking for people. It fell comfortably in line with her love of caring for others. Making sure someone was fed, and that they liked what they were eating, was very satisfying. Phoebe thought Remi would appreciate it too, as it would be one less thing he had to worry about accomplishing (or forgetting) during the day. Yes! This was a fine plan indeed!

”How did you ever get to be so smart? You’ve solved two things for me in no time at all! You must think I’m a bit slow.” Phoebe said with a little laugh.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"That doesn't surprise me. Then again I bet hardly any of the mothers are ready for it, especially if it is their first time," Isla remarked with a smirk, nodding to Phoebe. She felt something warm kindle in her chest as her suggestion was so happily accepted, the medic shrugging her shoulders as if to say it was nothing. "I'm sure he will appreciate it - and the break, too!" She laughed.

At the mere suggestion that she thought Phoebe was slow of all things, Isla shook her head and grinned. "Not at all! Sometimes we need someone else to tell us the answers to things that might have been before us all along. And besides, you bring life into the world. That takes an incredible amount of intelligence, emotional and otherwise, not to mention patience." She wouldn't hear her put herself down so.

Isla
the flesh is weak
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
phoebe
Phoebe shrugged a little. "There are some who are more anxious than others, but they are usually much more focused on the task at hand rather than letting their minds focus on everything that might make them queasy. Fathers on the other hand..." she shook her had and laughed a bit. Men could be so pigheaded. "Let's just say if you are every faced with a laboring woman and her spouse...keep the smelling salts on hand." There was a good reason she had an array of smelling salts in her shelves. Some were for anxiety. Some were to aid sleep. Others were powerful enough to put even the biggest man baby back on their feet.

She smiled when Isla insisted she did not think her stupid. In fact, she seemed to glow under the praise. Much like a sunflower turned towards the sunlight, Phoebe yearned for approval. "I suppose I am quite good at calming people down when they are being a little crazy." she said with a light laugh. Pregnant women and their mood swings could be quite the trip.

"Oh! I suppose I should ask, do you know if there is anything I should do to prepare for Long Night? I've been so busy getting this place up and running I haven't really had a chance to seek out Naturals to ask." she asked Isla curiously.