Common drinks and strange acquaintances
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Age: 22 | Height: 176 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 1 - Strg: 5 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 8 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Nell Offline
Change author:
MP: 85
I R I S

Iris made her descent towards the coast. Bathed, refreshed and in a new set of clothes, free of rips or blood stains. Also free of any obligations except for a standing appointment with the bottle. If the butterfly showed up, it would make an appetizer to go with the liquor. An interesting conversation about faraway lands to chew on is just what Iris needed to lift the boredom of drinking alone and divert thoughts away from pressing plans.

Dusk washed over her as she entered the Hanged Man, still fairly quiet and populated by only a few patrons. She expected many feet to trickle in after her in the following hours.

Hazel eyes made a quick scan of the faces inside on her way across the room. She reached the bar and raised her hand in that ubiquitous gesture that summoned drinks into one’s grasp. Mug in hand, she pushed herself off the counter and claimed a table on the side of the room. She sat with her back to the wall taking occasional sips of the biter drink, each sip turning it sweeter.

Alina

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Age: 59 | Height: 4' 10'' | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Alina stared at the exterior of the tavern. Standing there, she only moved when she began to receive looks. Well, more looks than she was already receiving for being a Fae in Torchline.

Sighing, she pushed open the door. Blinking at the vastly different interior, she scowled. As the patrons turned to stare at her, she stared right back, scanning them for any sign of the woman who'd invited her here.

Eventually she spotted Iris seated at a table next to one of the walls. The huntress shoved through the small crowd to the stranger. Not sitting, the Fae rested her hands on the back of a chair. "I'm here," she announced, totally unnecessarily.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Age: 22 | Height: 176 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
I R I S

Iris was nursing her second drink when the Fae entered, instantly drawing the focus of the patrons’ collective curiosity. As the butterfly made her way through the room Iris caught the eye of the barkeep, raising two fingers and pointing at her own mug.

Some of the people populating the bar were as drunk as Iris was when she’d first seen her, although their reactions mostly amounted to stares and comments of varying levels of discretion. A reluctant feeling of sympathy grew in Iris as she watched the subject of so much unwanted attention. Being constantly gawked at would have undoubtedly made her irritable. She still wasn’t sure that it was enough to explain away the Fae’s generally unpleasant demeanor, however.

”I see that.” She held her hand out at the chair the Fae had chosen. ”Care to take a seat? Her hand went back to grab the mug in front of her and she quickly downed the rest of its contents. ”I hope you didn’t have any more trouble after we met.” The statement was worded as a courtesy, but behind it lay Iris' interest in how the Fae had gotten along with other Torchliners.

Soon after, the empty mug disappeared and two fresh drinks were placed on the table.

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Age: 59 | Height: 4' 10'' | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Ignore the stares, comments, and other unwelcome attention, Alina just stood before the woman. The huntress narrowed her eyes, and her lips curled upwards for the briefest of moments. "Nope. You're the only one who gave me trouble." Still standing, she inclined her head towards the stranger.

Unstrapping the spear from its holster, the Fae leaned it against the nearby wall. Not making a move to sit, she rested one hand on the back of the chair again and the other on her hip. Eying the drinks as the bartender set them down, she sighed. "What were you hoping to talk to me about?" One of her feet began tapping, though Iris couldn't see it.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Change author:
I R I S

“I must say I’m surprised.” Iris was quick to tease. She leaned back in her seat and watched the Fae move about. When the long spear was deposited on the wall next to her, her gaze lingered. The sight of the sharp tip evoked the memory of her life essence coating it only hours prior. But, getting past the initial discomfort, Iris appreciated the weapon’s practicality.

The cuts and bruises she’d earned by poking the hornet’s nest that now stood in front of her were covered by a fresh set of sleeves, and Iris was determined to put the event behind her. The question remained whether the butterfly was willing to do the same. She stood in front of her still, clearly refusing the seat offered to her. Iris had to wonder if she'd come in search of a rematch.

If that turned out to be the case, Iris will have greatly regretted changing. She wasn’t keen on ruining another set of clothes.

She raised an eyebrow at the woman’s question. ”About the breeding habits of snails, of course.” She jested, and then wondered if a race physically incapable of lying could appreciate sarcasm.

Iris smiled anyway, ”No, I wanted to speak to you about… you. I’d never met a Fae before, and due to a series of circumstances,” namely, drunkenness, “I overreacted when I saw you. You, on the other hand, seemed entirely too tense when we met, even before any bottles were thrown. Not to mention that night is going to fall soon.” And all manner of people will show their true face. ”My suggestion is this: you teach me about your customs, and I’ll teach you about mine. Now, are you going to sit down, or stand there like a sentry?” Iris crossed her legs and nodded her head towards the vacant seat.

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
Narrowing her eyes at the stranger, Alina ran her hands along the back of the chair. "Why?" She glared at the patrons that were still watching her, though it did little to deter their stares.

The huntress hadn't changed from their altercation, and she had the cuts and bruises to show for it. At the other woman's joke, the Fae blinked. "Both snails attempt to fertilize each other." Cocking her head to one side, her lips curled upwards.

As Iris explained the actual reason why she'd asked Alina to the bar, she nodded. Shifting so that her arms were resting on the back of the chair, she drummed her fingers on the wood. "What customs would you like to know about?"
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Change author:
I R I S

Iris observed the Fae, trying to pinpoint the exact feature that would help formulate a clear answer to her question.

Would she start by pointing out that the glares she was sending out in all directions were only attracting more attention, instead of deterring it? That the way she kept glancing behind her shoulder smelled of fear? Or the fact that she refused to sit down, as if it would leave her exposed to attack?

Iris could bet that while the locals were surprised by the appearance of a Fae, they were eyeing her scars and weighing the possibilities. Was the thing making the stranger nervous something of value? Did the fidgeting indicate an easy target?

”Never mind.” She waved the question off, before the butterfly surprised her with a hint of humor. Iris returned the Fae's smile, "I'm learning already." She sipped her drink, glancing at the bar's nosier patrons. ”So, what do you do back in the Greatwood? Are you a general? A warden?”

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
As the locals continued to observe Alina in what they probably thought was a covert manner, she grimaced. She slipped one hand down to the knife that rested at her hip. Pulling it out, she began playing with it, rolling it along her knuckles. Unlike most blades, this wasn't made of metal. Instead, it was made of obsidian, dark and brutal looking and wickedly sharp.

Shrugging at the other woman's question, the Fae shook her head. "Nothing so fancy. I'm a huntress." Flipping the knife up and catching it in her palm, she raised her eyebrows at the stranger. "How about you? What do you do when you're not accosting strangers in alleyways?"
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Change author:
I R I S

Iris eyed the unusual blade and sent a questioning look at the armed woman. Was this for the gawkers, or was she still holding a grudge because of a silly, unintentional attack on her person? It was hard to tell with someone of such an aggressive disposition. She looked past the primal looking weapon and made a quick survey of the room. It seemed to have infused a healthy dose of subtlety into the curious lot.

Iris wrapped one hand around her cup, taking a short sip, while she let her free arm rest casually on the back of her chair, fingers within easy reach of her own weapon. “Administrative work for my family's trading company.” She glazed over her answer, looking straight into the Fae’s eyes, expression cordial. ”What kind of game do you catch? Human or animal?” She set the cup on the table, not letting go of it.

Whether this was to be a fight or a conversation, drink would get her through it.

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
Still playing with the knife, Alina nodded at Iris' response. The Fae kept an eye on the crowd with her peripheral vision. However, most of them were at least being discreet in their observations now. "What sort of administrative work? And what does your family trade?" Pushing off the back of the chair, she slid around it and sat. Sheathing her knife, she took a sip of the ale.

Jaw dropping at the other woman's question, the huntress blinked a few times. "You think we eat humans?!" Scowling, she shook her head and leaned back. Folding her arms across her chest, her nostrils flare. "Oh for the love of...I hunt game." Her jaw feathered with tension.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Change author:
I R I S

The Fae finally seemed to settle down, though she held on to the sharp, black threat in her hands. When she finally stopped ignoring the drink on the table Iris felt safe in her conclusion that the cause of the butterfly's irritation were for the most part, the other patrons. Still, she wasn’t exactly prepared to relax, especially since she’d successfully made her senses sluggish again.

”Mainly food, drink and fabrics. Sometimes spice and other luxuries.” She was as excited to talk about the official side of her family business as much as she was excited to be stuck doing it. ”I manage distribution, shake my finger at suppliers who don’t deliver on time... It’s very tedious, really.”

Iris almost spit her drink out trying to stifle a laugh. The assumption that the Fae could be a bounty hunter was clearly way off. She waved her hand, trying to dispel the laugher. ”A misunderstanding, Butterfly. That’s a handsome dagger.” She nodded at the blade. ”Where did you get it?”

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
Setting the mug back on the table, Alina traced her fingers around the rim of it. Raising her eyebrows at Iris' words, the huntress frowned. Her finger tapped along the side of her cup for moment before she spoke. "If it's that tedious why do you keep doing it?"

Scowling at the other woman's laughter, the Fae pressed her lips together. "What do you mean?" Shrugging at Iris' comment about the knife, the Fae glanced down at the blade. "Handsome?" Frowning, she lifted her gaze and met the other woman's eyes. "I bartered for it at our market. Was a simple enough trade." Her fingers strayed to the weapon's hilt again, resting there.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Change author:
I R I S

She scowled at the Fae’s observation, turning wistful as her gaze lingered on the brown liquid in front of her. ”Must be nice to do whatever you want.” She relaxed in her seat somewhat, ”I have familial obligations.” She clicked her tongue before talking a considerably long sip.

”Yess… Handsssome…” She let her tongue roll around the ‘s’ as she eyed the blade. Then, appearing to regain her sobriety she answered the huntress’ question with a question of her own. ”Well, you see, I was wondering what such a well armed, battle hardened woman was doing in Torchline. Bounty hunter was a guess.” She nodded at the Fae, ”You don't look like you leave the Greatwood very often.”

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
"It is." Frowning, Alina drummed her fingers on the table. Scratching the back of her head, she peered at Iris. "If you told your family you were unhappy in your current role, wouldn't they release you from your obligations and help you find a new position?"

Shrugging, the huntress tilted her mug back and forth with one hand. The fingers of the other were still resting on the dagger that the other woman was so enamored of. "Was there a question in there somewhere?" The Fae's lips twitched. "You're right. I don't leave the Greatwood often. Every once in a while, though, I visit the other lands to do reconnoissance." Raisign her eyebrows, she met Iris' gaze head on.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!