sore hearts
Nate
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
to heal a wound, you need to stop touching it
Sickness or no sickness, the clinic manages to be busy at the best of times. Kids skinning their shins on the reef or getting bitten by some sea creature or another; dockhands dropping crates on sensitive parts of themselves; fevers and coughs and sunstroke. All in a day's work, since the people of Torchline became truly aware that there was a place they could go for their ailments.

But there's a breath of quiet - just about - as it approaches midday, and Vai has finished writing notes and filing them away, cleaning up the consultation rooms and replenishing supplies, and she's taking a little time to water the herbs in their window boxes by the reception now. Her dark curls are pulled back in a loose braid, her shirtsleeves rolled to the elbow as she reaches into a drawer to take out a pair of small pruning shears.

"I reckon you're about ready to go," she remarks to one of the herbs - a potent sleeping draught, if made correctly - and proceeds with taking a few healthy clippings. "Keep it up," she advises the plant, as if speaking to them is a perfectly normal occurrence. And for a witch who lived in the Greatwood... it is.
Vervain
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
Always running his mouth, yeah he's got a few scars
It takes far too long for things to settle into something that feels normal again, far too long before Nate feels like he doesn’t need to fill every vacant moment with something, just so the feeling of having his head underwater will fade. It has, thankfully, as the seasons changed, though that easing has only opened up a whole new host of things he’s been ignoring, people he hasn’t had the chance to really speak to.

At the top of the list is Vai. They’ve shared a handful of words, in passings they’ve had, though the only conversation he’s had has been carried out on paper, over the stretch of days. After all the work she’s done, all the work she’s still doing, she deserves a month long vacation, but all Nate can offer is a few hours respite.

It’ll have to be enough.

Vai is right there as Nate walks up, carrying a deep, heavy looking bag with one arm. The clinic is quieter than he expects for the time of day, but he supposed there has to be lulls, and this has worked out quite well for him. ”Busy with patients, I see.” Nate chirps brightly, his free arm moving to wrap around the witch in a brief hug, before he’s moving to set his bag down on the reception desk and look over her shoulder at the plants she was talking to. ”I thought they were looking a little droopy the other day.” He hums, smiling at how the greenery seems to have perked up.
NATE
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
"I have been inundated, you would not even believe." Vai grins brightly at the sound of the familiar voice, turning to Nate as he appears. She moves into his one-armed hug, embracing him tightly for a second - mainly because it has been so long since they exchanged anything more than a couple of words on paper - before releasing him to follow his gaze over to the herbs. Feigning horror, Vai presses her finger to her lips. "Don't say that about them, they'll get upset," she says, her tone one of playful insistence.

But then she's standing back to look at him, a sparing glance given to the bag he's carrying, but she's much more interested in Nate, in truth. And her smile only grows as she meets his eyes - both of them - and she reaches up to touch his cheek, close to where the scar has long healed. "It suits you," she remarks, obviously meaning the new colour. "How does it feel?"
Vervain
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"Well, you're right about me not believing." Nate laughs at his own terrible joke, then rolls his eyes, letting them land on the herbs at their nadir. "It's a little tough love Vai, c'mon. They need it." As if to prove his point, he reaches out, tapping a particularly sad looking leaf, something difficult to find on the frankly thriving plants. "Look at this one here. It's sloppy."

The barest shimmer of a flush spreads over Nate's cheeks as he's looked over, leaning forward to make her reach that much easier, his gaze even and still so she can take in the change. "I think so too. It's been taking some getting used to though." After so long spent with one half of his vision dark, suddenly having peripheral vision again threw him off, normal blurs in the corner of his eyes grabbing his attention more often. "It feels amazing though. More than I could have ever expected." He can only talk about this for so long before he's growing embarrassed, his focus shifting to the bag he's brought. Slowly, Nate opens it up, unpacking dishes just so he has a distraction from genuine emotion.
NATE
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
"I'll have you know, it's been busy until precisely the moment you walked in. Did you send people away?" Vai smirks, only to playfully try to swat Nate's hands away from the ailing leaf on one of the plants. "Tough love has its place, but it's no substitute for kindness on the whole," she tells him, waggling a finger at him for good measure. And that goes for people as well as plants, according to the witch, and she reaches out to brush a gentle finger across the leaf. "Chin up, he didn't mean it," she coos, before grinning back at the Doctor.

Vai's smile softens at his explanation, and she nods her gentle understanding and lets him occupy himself elsewhere. "All the more reason to enjoy it as much as you can," she says, drawing up beside him to raise a curious brow. "What's the occasion?" she wonders, evidently oblivious to the fact that he might have come by for something other than work.
Vervain
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
A disbelieving noise snorts out of Nate, at odds with the wide grin on his face. ”Maybe I’m just good luck, huh?” Not lucky enough to avoid the witches smacks though, his judgemental fingers drawing back to be rubbed at, as if she’d really hurt him. ”All I got was tough love, and look at how I turned out?” It’s impossible to tell if Nate is joking or being serious, the grin on his face at once sarcastic and amused.

Nate appreciates the hell out of the fact that Vai gives him the room for distraction, that she doesn’t insist upon the subject, or his reaction to it. ”We’ve got some plans coming up, I think I’ll have plenty of time to enjoy it.” The lecherous tone in his voice implies that his mind has fallen into the gutter, though he stops just short of shooting a wink towards his partner in practice. Instead, he presents her with a warm bowl, filled to the brim with ravioli and vegetables. ”Call it a thanks. The first of at least a couple.” He laughs, pulling a cider from the bag as well and popping it open for her.
NATE
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
"A good luck charm? I'll believe it, given that this is the first five minutes I've had without a crisis all morning," Vai says, snorting at his exaggerated reaction to her swatting, though she's more interested by now in seeing whatever it is he's doing with the plates and the bag he's brought with him. "You turned out just fine, but it's never too late for a little kindness to balance out the tough love, hm?" She winks, then raises an eyebrow at the marked change in his tone.

"So I have heard," she drawls, mischief in the witch's eyes. "I was told by your husband that I am to watch Torchline while he has one weekend to... oh, how did he put it?" She pretends to ponder, suddenly snapping her fingers as the memory hits. "Ah, that was it! One weekend to get railed." Tilting her head at Nate, she invites him to extrapolate.

Vai is absolutely food motivated, something she imagines the Ascended will have realised by now, so all wickedness vanishes from her expression when he turns and produces a frankly-delicious smelling bowl of food. "Damn," she blurts, accepting it carefully and grinning. "Thank you. If I ever needed motivation to take care of the town while you're gone, this is it."
Vervain
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
While Nate isn’t sure he necessarily agrees with Vai, he does know he’s much happier now, surrounded by kindness, hers and others. Caido has given him a chance to build a life removed from everything he’d grown up around, and while it’s traces still lingered in him, he was changed now.

If he knows what’s coming, Nate doesn’t show it, his motions still deliberate and calm, the corners of his mouth slowly beginning to lift as her facade stretches on. When Vai snaps her fingers, Nate’s face twists, brows rising and a grin flashing across lips before something tender enters his eyes, a newly freed hand coming to hover over his heart. ”Those are my words!” He crows, the antithesis of shame. ”Did he tell you about the room then? I can’t believe I didn’t know about it earlier.”

”It’s not just for taking care of the town.” His jaw works, gaze locked on the bowl for a moment before it hesitantly lifts to the witch’s face. ”You took- take care of us Vai. This is the one way I can take care of you.”  Another moment where Nate wants to shrink from himself, wants to clamp his mouth shut and stop talking. He fights through the feeling, changes the subject to something a fraction less vulnerable. ”It’s hard to be sure about the spices, since I can’t taste it, but Sunny said it was good.” He’s almost too casual and it almost works, but for his unblinking stare, watching Vai take her first bite intently.
NATE
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Your words? I'll warn Sunjata that being so unimaginative is unlikely to impress in the bedroom." Vai grins back, having no qualms about feeding into this scandal, and she nods her confirmation about the room. "He did, indeed. And I imagine it must have been a well-kept secret, though quite why is beyond me." Unless it was in someone's house or something, which Vai supposes would be reasonable. Sort of. But she's biased.

Nate speaks again and Vai pauses with the spoon en route to her mouth, the witch smiling softly to him. "Well, rest assured that if this is how you want to take care of me, it is well-received," she says, keeping her tone breezy and casual. As he's explaining about the spices she's already digging in, humming appreciatively and plopping onto one of the seats in the waiting area.

"It's fucking good," she tells him in no uncertain terms, blue eyes flicking up to meet his stare. "Where did you learn to cook?" Vai already knows, in bits and pieces, but she's too polite to take advantage of things said in a delirium.
Vervain
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Vai leans into the teasing and Nate absolutely couldn't be happier. "Don't you worry about us Vai, I'm more than creative enough for the both of us." He hadn't thought about the fact that the room was kept secret, but it doesn't affect him, not now that he's in the know. "I can't imagine why, but it works out for us. Less chance of being interrupted." Eyebrows dance as he speaks, the gesture struggling across the scarred chasm separating them.

"My nonna taught me." There's usually more hesitance in Nate's voice when he talks about himself, brings up pieces of his past, but it feels like old hat with Vai, for some reason he can't quite put his finger on. "My brother and I spent our summers with her when we were younger. Bart never had any interest in the kitchen though, so it was my job to help out." An easy shrug rolls over his shoulders, Nate brushing off the work easily and letting a smile spread over his face.

"You know, if you wanted I could teach you a few recipes." It's not as if he has any reason to be precious about them anymore, wasn't like he could benefit from them at all. "I've tried teaching Sunjata, but he's useless in the kitchen."
NATE
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
"I believe it," Vai assures Nate between bites of ravioli, and somehow the smirk on her lips seems all the more smug for it. "Just remember to put a sign on the outside of the room, so no one bursts in thinking you're murdering each other." She adds a lewd wink, just for the sake of it. Falling quiet to eat as he explains, it's to no one's surprise that the bowl is soon half empty, the witch sitting back for a break so she doesn't end up with a stomach ache (as stated previously, very food motivated).

"Mm, I know that feeling. I had a twin, and he was never much interested in cooking either. So it was up to my ma and me." She shrugs back to him, brightening at the suggestion that he can teach her the recipes. "That doesn't surprise me. Sunjata is good at consuming the finished product though, haven't you noticed?" Grinning, she resumes the attack on the ravioli. "I'd love to, Nate. As well as tasting anything new you want to try."
Vervain
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
”Thats a good idea! I can’t imagine we’d even notice if someone walked in.” It’s his last word on the subject, the segue from fuck weekends to childhood memories a strange one to try and bridge. There’s a quiet beat, when Nate finished his reminiscing, where Vai is still waiting, but it’s filled quickly by the witch. ”You're a twin too?” Brows lift as Nate moves to take a seat beside Vai, the cool bottle in his hands offered over to her as her bites slow. ”I wasn’t allowed to help my mother back at home. I think that might be why I tried so hard to get good at it.” Spite was a driving force behind a lot of what he did, but clearly it produced results.

A warm chuckle rumbles through the smile on his face, Nate nodding his agreement to the words. ”Im just glad someone’s enjoying what I make.” The witch starts eating again, and the ascendeds eyes move to look around the room, feeling strange just sitting there and staring. ”When we have the house built, you’ll be welcome anytime. And,” Nate grimaces sheepishly, ”I owe Zeph a meal or something too.”
NATE
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vai's surprise is evident as well, to hear they are both part of a set of twins, and she accepts the bottle with a nod of thanks. After she's taken a sip, she finishes up and sets both bottle and bowl down on the table. "Why wouldn't she let you help?" she wonders idly, before belatedly realising that it may well be one of those things that he doesn't want to delve into. "Not that it matters now, of course," she adds; an invitation to glaze over it if he likes.

Slumping back in her chair, evidently well fed and thoroughly content with the meal, she glances up as Nate speaks again, and a warm smile spreads across her face. "The same goes for you two, you know. However rough Zeph might be around the edges, I'm sure he'd welcome you into his home. Maybe we should all get together, when you're back. For dinner." She winks. "I don't know why you owe him a meal, but that will cover it nicely, right?"
Vervain
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
If Nate could still flush, his ears would be red at the witch's question, suddenly feeling like he's said too much. "No, that's not really-" But Vai is already speaking up again, offering him an out that he would normally be grasping for. Nate considers it a moment, licking his lips, then looks away from her and shrugs. "My uh, dad didn't like the idea of us doing," he clears his throat uncomfortably, a humourless huff of laughter leaving him, "bitch work. So... I only cooked when he wasn't around." There's a moment where he could wallow in it, but Nate does the opposite instead, pepping back up and facing her like he hadn't said a thing, an utterly unconscious mirror of the conversation they'd had while he was sick.

There's always a part of Nate that grows smug and content to see people enjoy his food, Vai's smile matched easily by his own, now that he's settled fully into his contentment. "I think welcome might be putting it a little strongly, but... he's a good guy." Really, other than the fact that they seemed to be on opposite sides of an increasingly distant conflict, Nate liked the guy. Though, whatever chance they'd had at friendship had probably been set back tenfold by the biting thing, which- "Wait, didn't he..?" Nate stops short, the confused look on his face melting into a grin. "I think that would cover it nicely." Leaning back in his own chair, the doctor hums, considering something. "I'll need to borrow a kitchen. Don't think the Slagveld is going to be quite up to snuff for a proper."
NATE