[SE] Those We Lost
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
GIDEON

And now I cling to what I knew
I saw exactly what was true
After actually meeting Ludo in the flesh (robes?) recently, Gideon was struck with a more fervent than ever fire-like need to participate in the seasonal festivities of Leafchange. While he had always, obviously, as the priest of the temple, partaken in the various religious holidays throughout the year, he had sometimes been hesitant to engage with those touching on remembrance that became relevant this time of year.

But he supposed to be in the spirit of things, he'd try to allow himself to delve into the past. First things first, a lantern.

The problem was that Gideon had no idea how you went about making a lantern. He was sure he could cobble something together, but if it would survive or burn up in smoke was almost random chance, and if he was going to put effort and heart into a project, he wanted it to be sturdy. Regrettably, the only person he could think of to help in his matter was Luciana.

Knocking on her workshop door early (he had always been punctual) Gideon held in his hand a piece of paper with a scribbled-on idea, that he was almost embarrassed to have seen, but that he would have to subject to her eyes to come to fruition. When she opened the door, he would say: "Luciana! Hello. I was hoping to talk to you about helping me with a project."
That's why I hold with all I have
That's why I hold
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Age: 48 | Height: 5'4'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 15 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
Luciana
cause it makes me that much stronger
makes me work a little bit harder
As the voice called out, Luciana responded instinctively. "One second!" She wore thick gloves. Gripping a pair of pliers in one hand, she used them to pull a red hot length of bronze through a sheet with various sized holes in it. The wire was almost complete, and it was only when she pulled the last of it through and set it to cool that she turned to face her visitor.

"Gideon," she acknowledged, nodding at the Priest as she stripped off her gloves and set them on a nearby table. Wiping the sweat off her brow with the back of soot-stained hands, leaving a streak of black, she stepped towards him. "What can I help you with?"
it makes me that much wiser
so thanks for making me a fighter
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
GIDEON

Seeing Luciana with her gloves on, clearly hard at work, Gideon smiled just a little. It was good to see her in her element; he often felt grateful to be in an organisation featuring such varied talent as the Order. He stepped into the workshop, looking over what she had been doing but not quite seeing what it was eventually going to be.

"A lantern." He explained, looking down at his hands and hoping she wouldn't ask who for, though he knew it was the obvious query. "A metal base, something I can build on for the Festival of Lights. I don't usually celebrate this personally, but...Ludo seems keen we do, this year." Gideon glanced about her workshop, unsure quite what metal would be best for the job. "Something simple and cheap should work, as long as it'll withstand a bit of weight."
That's why I hold
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Age: 48 | Height: 5'4'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Luciana
As Gideon explained his reason for visiting, Luciana nodded. However, when he continued and laid out what he was looking for, she snorted. Raising her eyebrows, she shook her head. "I don't do cheap."

Gesturing for him to follow her, she walked towards the corner of the workshop, where a table rested. Taking out a piece of paper and some charcoal, she bent down to begin writing. "Who is it for and what are you planning to make of it?" She glanced up and grinned at him. "You do realize that Ludo wants these to be personalized and unique as possible, right?" Hand hovering over the page, she waited for him to begin giving her actual instructions.
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
GIDEON

"Oh, excuse me. Less expensive than anything you really care about, then." Gideon jokingly corrected himself, gesturing vaguely as he tried to come up with more suitable words. The point was, she didn't need to give him her finest silvers for this job; the person he was making the lantern for hardly deserved that anyway.

Of course, she immediately asked who it was for. Supposing she had a point about Ludo wanting them to be personal, Gideon sighed and relinquished the information. "My brother. He's not dead, as far as I know, but he may as well be. I was thinking I could make it around the good memories I still have. Reading with him in our home study." When they had been young, Judah like a student he had been teaching in the ways of the Gods, that then had been new to him and exciting to share and feel superior in.

It did not strike Gideon that perhaps Judah did not enjoy those lectures as much.

"I'm planning to make the sides myself, which is why I'm just wanting a frame from yourself."
That's why I hold
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
Putting one hand on her hip, Luciana stared at Gideon. "So let me get this straight. You, the Priest, are asking me, the Hammer, to use subpar materials for a task for the gods." Snorting, she shook her head. "Not gonna happen." Her lips curled upwards for such a brief moment that it might've been a trick of the light.

Bending down, she began jotting notes, basically ignoring his last comment. "What does your study look like? What types of books? How large do you want the lantern to be? Are you planning on using paper or painting directly on the metal frame?" The questions came out rapid-fire mode, and she paused with the charcoal hovering over the page once more.
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
GIDEON

"Gods, Luciana, I don't think it matters what it's made of as long as it's fitting to the person it's for, and believe me - your finest is not fitting for him." Gideon said firmly, shaking his head; he actually doubted that Judah would even want the best used for him. He'd always been so smugly humble, so willing to toss down his own benefits for others - Gideon had always been convinced it was an act. "Still...I suppose I appreciate your desire to make it good. Use what you like."

He just wasn't going to pay for anything ridiculous.

Luciana began to rattle off her questions, so many he struggled to keep up; Gideon leaned on the counter and sighed, trying to sort them out in his mind and answer them one by one. "I was planning to keep it simple. Shelves with two silhouettes before them. I've never been much of an artist. As for the books...I don't know, old records of research and testimonies? I can't remember what they looked like exactly." He was sure they'd been big and dusty, but that was all. And finally: "Paper."
That's why I hold
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
Luciana raised her eyebrows at Gideon's outburst. Clicking her tongue, she shook her head. "It's not what I think or your brother deserves. It's not about him at all, really." she responded in a quiet tone. "It's about doing our best, our very best, to remember them. Isn't that what Ludo's about?" She titled her head to one side, examining the Priest's features.

Clearing her throat, she looked down at her page of scribbles. "Do you want to talk about him?" She toyed with the charcoal.

Nodding as he gave her further specifications, she wrote them down. Setting paper and writing implement down, she headed towards the section where she kept her metal supplies. Running her fingers along the shelves, she took down a flat sheet of iron. Pulling a set of pliers from her toolbelt, she began bending the sheet.
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
GIDEON

"Oh, you're telling me about the Gods now?" Gideon asked, amused sarcasm in his tone; he tilted his head at her and crossed his arms, but really he had to admit she had somewhat of a point; a moment later he relaxed and laughed with a shrug. "Yeah, probably. It's hard not to let my personal feelings get in the way with this one, but...you're right."

What he really didn't expect from Luciana was an invitation to a personal conversation, something he'd never considered having with her. Gideon blinked a couple of times in surprise, unsure of what to say, watching as she went to grab her supplies and prepare the metal. After a moment when he'd gotten over the shock, he tried to find a way to easily slip into and out of the topic of his brother.

"Oh, there's not much to say. Family black sheep, ran away, never seen him since. Probably for the best he's gone; he hated it here." Attempting the best casual shrug he could, Gideon leaned against a counter.
That's why I hold
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
Luciana met Gideon's gaze. "That was a question," she pointed out. When he conceded the point to her, though, she just nodded. Looking away, she tucked a strand of hair that had escaped the braid she often kept it in behind her ear. "I serve them too, in my own way." It came out in a quiet tone, more for her ears than his.

Continuing to bend it with the pliers, the metal took shape under her fingers. It was fairly simple, an open box really, the four sides fitting together relatively neatly. "Sounds like you two had a difficult relationship. When was the last time you saw him?" Still focused on her work, she set the pliers down and pulled a small saw out of her toolbelt next. She began to use it on one of the sides, carving large horizontal slits.
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
GIDEON

Feeling somewhat guilty about insulting how Luciana might choose to honour their Gods, a proponent himself of everyone having different styles of worship and serving, Gideon tried to make an effort to remind himself to be kinder to the woman for the rest of the conversation. It often felt like they rubbed off each other painfully badly, but he could at least try his best not to follow his instincts and make it worse.

The question she asked made him consider how long it had really been since he'd seen his brother and he blinked in surprise, blowing air out of his cheeks and leaning back on the counter. "...I must have been...in my mid 20s. A long time ago. Definitely over a decade, maybe two now, and then we hadn't seen each other in some years. He...as teenagers, we went very different ways." In his eyes, Jonah had fallen to bad influence and temptation and fallen off his intended path, and Gideon had not been able to rescue him; he still felt the guilt of that.

"Do you have any siblings, Luciana?" He asked, glancing over, wondering if she would understand the odd love and hate between the brothers, even after all this time.
That's why I hold
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
Luciana continued to saw little slots in the sides of the metal cage she was making. Although, since it was open at the top, cage might not be the right word. Frame, probably. Grunting as Gideon explained his history with his brother, she turned to another side and began cutting it. "Let me guess, you went into the priesthood and he fell in with a bad crowd?" She glanced up briefly from her work to gauge the Priest's reaction.

Shaking her head, she focused on the metal in her hands once more. "Nah I'm an only child. Lots of cousins though." Her lips curled up for a brief moment. "The lack of siblings probably explains why I don't play nice with others." Leaning down, she blew a bit of metal dust away from the lantern base.
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
GIDEON

Gideon absentmindedly watched Luciana work, somewhere in the back of his mind wondering where it was she'd learnt this, how she knew where to make each cut without even measuring or planning; he was not terrible with his own hands, having spent many years assisting with tough labour, but when it came to the small details, the workings of fitting things together, he could never hope to match someone like this. Her question took him away from that thought as he nodded, letting out a quiet huff of laughter. "Exactly. Heard he was hanging out with Ascended and all sorts, last time someone told me about him."

An unexpected laugh left him as she joked about herself. He considered leaving it there and letting the conversation awkwardly dangle off into silence until she was done, but he found he wasn't actually minding talking to her; looking over, he asked: "Are you making a lantern for anyone this year?" Maybe it was a personal question, but in his role he was used to discussing the very personal with people he didn't know very well.
That's why I hold
Luciana Garcia
The Hammer

Change author:
Luciana
Glancing up just once when she noticed Gideon's scrutiny, Luciana frowned. However, she didn't comment on it, just turning to another side of the frame and continuing on with her work. However, her head snapped up when the Priest brought up Ascended. "What?!" Swallowing hard, she actually growled a little. "Where?" Her nostrils flared and her jaw feathered with tension.

Lips twitching at his laughter, her expression smoothed out as he asked about her own plans for the season. Setting his project down for now, she pulled three half-finished lanterns down from a shelf. One was in the shape of an anvil, the second was in the shape of a loom, and the third, which she hid behind the other two, was in the shape of a crib. They needed to be painted, and the frames completed, but she left them there as she picked Gideon's lantern up again.