{Seasonal Event} I Move the Stars for No One
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
The first time he’d come out to the Labyrinth he hadn’t even made it to the entrance, instead falling into an ice cave where half the Settlement seem to have been drawn. He’d been intending to do some mapping of the strange place for his own curiosity, but now he had a different goal. The old smith who had made such beautiful work was not as young as he used to be, and his hands were badly swollen with arthritis. Likely other joints, too. It would have been a shame for the world to lose his skill…but, also, it wasn’t easy for the bard to walk away from someone in need, no matter how many walls he tried to build around his heart, or how many justifications he used to try and convince himself that someone else would step up if he didn’t.

Remi probably would have laughed and said ‘I told you so.’

Which was why Jigano was out alone today, 3/4-filled notebook and marking stick in his hands as he looked up at the gates of the maze with a quiet hum of cautious excitement. He’d picked a sunny day for it, the bright light sparkling off the snow and ice that made the crumbling maze look softer and fairy-like in the winter mid-morning. He was counting on the sun to help him keep his directions straight, but had a ball of twine in hand for a more physical marker of where he’d been. He’d never explored a maze before, in his adventuring days, but he’d read enough accounts of others to have an idea of what he would need. Dried meat strips, and grain packed with honey into resilient little bars, along with his water skin and a small flask of whiskey from the tavern in case he strayed or stayed longer than he intended. The natives did not seem to like the place, and he was learning to take their rumors and legends seriously.

One such spoke of healing herbs in the center of the maze… if you could find your way in and then out again. Not everything here was out to kill them. Though rumors of the maze rearranging itself weren’t exactly reassuring.

A squirrel perched on the top of one hedge, watching him curiously with a flicking question of a tail. With a salute to the little beast – and a mental note to come back later in fox form for a bit of hunting – the bard grinned to himself and stepped into the gap, feeling the old thrill rise up in him again, like an absent friend come to visit.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

The first time Remi had been to the labyrinth he'd found a small girl being attacked by a hoard of angry (and quite talkative) squirrels. The second time he'd fallen into a chasm beneath the snow and ice. Neither memory left a particularly pleasant taste in his mouth, but like most things in this new world, Remi simply took it all in stride. This world was not Northaven, and these sorts of dangerous and random encounters seemed to be far more common than he would have ever believed to be possible. If that was the case then avoiding them would be all but futile he was sure.

Given what he'd experienced the first time however, flying over the labyrinth seemed to be the safest course of action. It would evade the roaming and thorny hedges as well as the squirrels that were surprisingly good at making and wielding primitive tools. That was the plan anyhow, until he saw Jigano and the string.

Despite the snow Remi's sharp eyes picked up on the tangle of twine trailing behind the bard and immediately he descended. Had he known that Jigano was the silvery fox he'd seen with Rory he might have stayed in his hawk form and communicated telepathically with him. Of course he didn't know this—he knew precious little about Jigano all things considered—and so landing was to be the only way of warning the bard about the dangers of this place.

Gliding a few meters ahead of the bard so as not to suddenly appear behind him and startle him, Remi fanned his feathers to slow his descent, nimbly and elegantly shifting from hawk to man. His boots touched down gently in the snow and though he was wearing mittens, he quickly placed his hands into the pockets of the deer-skinned coat Vai had helped him make. With eyes bright and cheeks rosey from the flight as well as the cold, he flashed Jigano a quick smile before turtling his neck down into his scarf.

"I saw the twine—" He said, his breath causing small puffs of white to billow in front of his face. "—the hedges move." Before he could say more, a squirrel trotting along the top of one such hedge peered over with a bright cartoonish smile. Follow me! It said encouragingly, before darting off. With a sigh, Remi glanced back at Jigano and shook his head. "I would not follow that advice." He said with uncharacteristic graveness in his voice.

REMI
How do you steal what you really want
When what you really want is free?

Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He had not necessarily expected a hawk to come winging down from the clear, cold sky, but with the squirrels that seemed to abound in the area he wouldn't have been terribly shocked, if the bird hadn't flared its wings to land so near him - and if it didn't look so familiar. The bard wasn't exactly surprised when the hawk became a man, not after what he'd seen at Rory's farm, but he liked to think he still would have controlled his expression to one of pleasant curiosity even if he hadn't know what to expect.

Rosy cheeked, bright eyed, and bushy tailed... Jigano stifled the snort of amusement at how youthful the cold made the young man look as he nodded politely to Remi's smile of greeting. The first words out of the pup's mouth though, finally caught the bard by surprise, and he cocked a silver brow at the abrupt warning. "Well, of course the stories say that. Probably even true. I'd hoped to have some proof of that, though - if I backtrack and the twine suddenly disappears under a hedge instead of staying on the path it will be something more concrete than 'I got lost and I'm almost certain it wasn't my fault.'" He grinned, shrugging, and nodded for Remi to join him as he continued walking, paying out the string behind him.

"I admit to being a bit intrigued by the talking rodents, though. Aside from them moving too fast for me to catch, is their advice truly so dangerous?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"I saw it myself." Remi said not looking or sounding even remotely defensive as others might, given that he wasn't immediately taken at his word. Though as Jigano continued, a sunny smile spread radiantly across his lips, dimpling his cheeks and alighting his eyes with amusement as he shook his curly head. "Ahh yes, much better to be able to concretely say it was not your fault that you got lost. I am not sure how that knowledge will help you get out when they do move though." Remi said, glancing over his shoulder as if expecting the hedges to move and punctuate his point.

Falling in step next to the bard, Remi grimaced. "When I was here last they had lured a child in. She followed them thinking they perhaps had something to show her. Really they were leading her into the heart of the maze where some beast is rumoured to live. Worse, when she tried to leave they began to attack her. With the shifting hedges she found herself quite lost and defenseless against them." Looking towards another squirrel which had popped up to watch their progress, Remi frowned at it deeply before turning back to Jigano. "They even make use of crude tools to attack with."

REMI

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano hadn't realized that Remi had been speaking of personal experience, but he snorted at the lad's sunnily missing the point. "And to have proof to write down, explaining to those that will be here after we have gone. Not simply 'the hedges must have moved' but 'the hedges moved and this is how you know it.' It's not like others will know our names and be inclined to trust our words alone." The lorekeeper continued to walk, carefully paying out the twine in the middle of the path beside him as he went. He glanced over, curious as Remi recounted his earlier adventure, a small frown creasing his brow.

"Strange... they sound almost like familiars of some sort for whatever might be there. When you fly overhead have you ever noticed anything that it could be?" Some areas, like the one they were approaching, were overgrown enough that only a small bird might have been able to navigate out through the top of the walls. He glanced around again to check on the squirrels, but they were alone for the moment - or at least, the little creatures were well-hidden as they watched. "And tools... I admit, I'm having a hard time imagining it. What sorts of tools would a squirrel use to attack a man? A thorn-sword?" It was the best he could come up with, a mild joke but he was taking Remi seriously. He was certainly staying alert as they followed the curve of the maze. When they came to an intersection, the bard went right, using one of the hedge-thorns to help pin the twine firmly in place to the ground at the T-junction's center.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

As Jigano softly reprimanded Remi's line of thinking, the alchemist furrowed his brow thoughtfully, eyelashes fluttering as he considered. Truthfully he didn't quite understand. After all, what more was there to say after the hedges move? How do you know the hedges have moved? Why because they've moved. A more clever mind would have said the justification was rather circular. Remi however merely thought it sounded a bit poetic, like a rhyme from a child's tale. "Ahh." Remi vocalized with a rather bashful smile, offering Jigano a lopsided shrug for his silence. "I had always thought..." Chuckling under his breath, Remi's smile widened bashfully as he shook his head. "I suppose I always thought books could be trusted." Scratching behind his head, he nibbled the inside of his lip to keep his rather absurd grin from widening. "It sounds a bit silly now though. Only...Well, growing up I was never allowed into places where books and things were kept. The first time I entered the library in Northaven was only a few months ago actually." With another sheepish shrug, the alchemist laughed under his breath again kicking at a bit of snow. Though Remi seemed as though he was aware of how naive his thinking had been, he didn't seem inclined to be overly embarrassed by it. He was a commoner through and through and had never striven to be more than that. Even now with his obvious shortfalls being amusingly brought to light, still he did not shy away from who and what he was.

"No I have not." Remi said shaking his head. "Now that there is snow on the ground I was hoping to see tracks. It is why I came out today actually."

With a grin, Remi nodded. "More or less, yes. And I was not a man at a time, but a hawk still. In order to lead the girl from the maze I had to be above her. Sharpened sticks and thorns work better against a body defended only by feathers. Because she could not run fast enough, I would land to try and distract and fend off the creatures." As they came to the intersection, Remi watched doubtfully as Jigano marked their trail, but said nothing.

REMI

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"And yet, when we met at the Atheneum you were trying to sift truth from myth," the bard reminded, though gently. "This is more of the same, only from the other side of the page - with luck I'll be writing this down so some other outlanders or native adventurers will know that what I say isn't simple myth, because I can provide a solid example of measuring the movement." His smile was a little lopsided as he considered that his initial plan for getting lost - transforming into a fox and eeling his way under or through thin spots in the maze walls - wouldn't work any longer, but with a hawk to guide him, then maybe he wouldn't have to.

"And why," Jigano asked carefully, "were you not allowed in the library back in Northaven? Or rather... it would have been Northwind where you were a child, yes?" Northaven had been a place of jungle and a protective wall of some sort, as Isla had described it. Northwind was where the magic-slinging outlanders had been before that, under some sort of monarchy, the details of which were still vague to the bard.

The white-haired man nodded in agreement and approval of Remi's plan to seek out tracks in the snow from above, wishing for a wistful moment that he might do the same but--

No. Of all those he had traveled with, flying had always come least easily to him. He always had, and always would, keep four feet - or at least two - firmly planted on the ground.

"Perhaps I should have worn armor," Jigano admitted, though not with much conviction as he stood from settling the twine marker. Next he retrieved his notebook and traced a few lines with shorthand notes, preparing his map out of habit more than belief that the labyrinth would be the same upon his return. The map itself might not be useful, but it would let him better understand what parts of the maze were changing, and if he could find any patterns to the putative shifts.

He began walking again, glancing to his companion and raising a brow. "Are you sure you wish to risk the squirrels' wrath ag--"

Followme! a bright little voice chittered, the dewy-eyed rodent poking its head over the hedge next to them as if laughing down at them, before racing ahead and around another corner.

"...Well. And you think they were leading the girl towards the center of the maze last time?" he changed his question, looking bemused at the bizarre wildlife.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi was not the philosophical nor argumentative type. As he listened to Jigano, briefly and unsurprisingly thoughts of Loren sifted through his thoughts. Loren who was as learned as Jigano was surely, who was as good with words, who knew so much. As he had many a time with the duke, Remi felt that dampening and coldly-wet sensation that came with the realization of just how mismatched two people could be. That Remi had even argued with Jigano's methods made him swallow uncertainly and silently reprimand himself. This might not be Northaven and he might not be thought of as a commoner here, but he still had a place in this world surely. He was a simple alchemist and nothing more. "Ahh." Remi hummed with a nod. "A good plan."

Blinking in surprise as Jigano mentioned Northwind, Remi's lashed fluttered as his pale gaze scanned awestruck across Jigano's. "Ah..yes." Remi said with a nod, feeling that flush of uncertainty prickling the back of his skull. So knowledgeable that it made the alchemist want to feign an excuse and depart. Instead he simply cleared his throat. "Not...that I was not allowed. But places like that were never meant for people like me." Remi wasn't sure where Jigano had received his information from, but surely no account of Northaven could go without an account of their rigid hierarchy? Or perhaps, if the story was told by a baron or a duke they simply forgot that there were those lower than they were.

"I could create you some?" Remi implored, hands raising slightly as if they were somehow relevant to his magic. Eager to obey and be useful as always, the alchemist missed the reluctant and perhaps skeptical tone in Jigano's voice. Pausing, Remi suddenly felt naked without his bag and his sketchbook, feeling as though if he had it, he might...what? Show that he had neater handwriting than the bard? Show that he too could be interested and thoughtful about things?

Furrowing his brows and trying to displace this odd uncomfortableness that had settled over him, Remi looked up with eyes that suddenly turned predatory gold at the sound of the squirrel. Bristling, if he had ears to flatten he indeed would have. Instead, he glanced stone-faced towards Jigano and nodded. "The stories I heard said as much. She was only about a quarter of the way through when I found her. But it took us twice as long to get out. I think...perhaps that the hedges and the squirrels perhaps work together? Some sort of symbiotic relationship maybe..?"

REMI

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He wasn't quite sure why his familiarity with the place names of Remi's past was so incredible. Edy and Isla had both mentioned them, though admittedly the duchess had been a bit more coherent about their connection. A silver brow arched in surprise, however, at Remi's explanation for his unfamiliarity with libraries, though he'd looked quite at home in the Atheneum before. "People like... you? Forgive me Remi, but I'm not sure what you mean. You looked like you were enjoying reading when we met..."

He'd had beautiful armor, once. Finely woven chainmail, light and silent and stronger than steel. It had turned to simple steel when he'd come through the portal and the weight had been far too much to carry comfortably, so he had left it wrapped carefully in a bag in his den. He preferred to rely on his flexibility and speed to get him out of trouble; standing around getting hit wasn't his idea of a good time, and armor seemed to encourage that sort of thing. "What? Remi, no," Jigano said, exasperation at the edge of his voice. "You don't need to do that - and I'd prefer you didn't. I was only making a joke - a poor one, at that, it seems." Gods, the boy was as bad as a kicked puppy.

He looked more like a wolf when the squirrel popped its head up, foolish little beast that it was. Jigano listened thoughtfully, paying out the twine as he followed the creature, pausing again at the intersection to take notes and tack down the twine so it wouldn't get pulled from its course. "Symbiotic...? Remi, never let anyone tell you that you don't belong in a library ever again." Jigano shook his head in bemusement as he marked their path before continuing, following the question mark tail flickering further along. "But you could be right. Though that would mean these squirrels are either carnivores or scavengers." He grimaced, finding that thought unexpectedly distasteful. "But you should probably know that I'm headed towards the center of the maze today. As much as I would appreciate your company - and your eyes above - I won't blame you if you want to turn back now."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

"A commoner." Remi answered immediately, no trace of guilt or reluctance at sharing this piece of information. In fact, he elaborated. "Commoners were the lowest class, but shapeshifters—or attuned here—were at the bottom of even that class. Some managed better than others, but none really held political positions or any positions of authority. One did, a man named Koel who came over here with us, but his title seemed more of something to placate us. He had no real power." Glancing towards the bard, Remi shrugged. "And so while there was no rule forbidding it, a commoner and a shapeshifter in a library would be quite out of place. And, given that we were all brought to Northaven for some specific purpose, there was never any reason to find myself in such a place." Not until Loren anyways, though that bit of information merely lingered on Remi's tongue.

"Oh, ah..Alright." Remi offered awkwardly, unsure how to read the tone of Jigano's voice and instead merely leaning heavily into his explanation of having only made a joke, despite the fact that it didn't feel that way, though he didn't have the words to say why.

With a sort of floundering stare, Remi nodded minutely his clear eyes clouded briefly with uncertainty. Whether or not Remi had acquired even a spark of cleverness on his own was still not enough to gain him entrance to certain places. If it was, aptitude would be the measure of status rather than birth. And while it might be that way here, still enough of the old world and its regimes and rules still seemed present in this one.

With an unflinching and buoyant immediacy, Remi shook his head with a smile. "Given that I can fly away it is not me that I am worried about." Glancing towards one of the squirrels, Remi frowned, but it quickly broke into a chuckle. "Hear that? Lead on."

REMI

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano listened intently, though he didn't bother hiding his surprise - either at how common shapeshifters were, or at how they were treated. "Well," he murmured softly, when Remi had finished. "There's certainly no such hierarchy here, thankfully. And, for what it's worth, I'm a commoner, too." He smiled finding no more shame in the truth than the pup had. "My parents were immigrants, Outlanders of a sort, and my father was a smith. My mother was a wisewoman and healer of minor hurts and ailments, for those who lived on the outskirts or out in the farms near our home. But I am aware of no high status or noble blood anywhere in my ancestry." Not that he knew much about his ancestors at all; his parents had not spoken of them beyond his grandparents, not as individuals. And of course, he had been born a shapeshifter, too... not that he was willing to share that information with anyone, no matter how wide-eyed and innocent. "But I daresay there is no one here to keep either of us from using this library. Not that they could keep me out if there were." His grin turned sly and just a touch wicked, a flicker of a younger and less jaded man shining through for a moment before the offer of armor had him clumsily disengaging.

"Fair," Jigano acknowledged his own danger with a little smile. "I had considered bringing others but this is more of a... personal sort of quest. It didn't seem right to ask my friends to endanger themselves on my account, and in truth most of those I'm closest to aren't really warriors." Excepting Edy, of course, and Rory... but he was a little terrified of the fiery girl getting fed up with the maze and trying to set the entire thing ablaze with them still in it. And Rory was still recovering from that meeting for his dead (?) friend.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

A bemused and surprised smile came over Remi's features at the mention that Cirago too was a commoner. He seemed so worldly and exotic in a way that was hard to put into words. Remi couldn't quite tell if this new information made him feel more at ease around Jigano or more unsettled. That perhaps the two shared some common ground was a welcome fact, but if anything it subtly seemed to imply that if Jigano was able to make himself into the man he was now, then Remi had no excuse for what he was surely. As much as he wanted to tell himself that they'd grown up in different circumstances, it seemed Jigano was trying to imply that they didn't. And even if they had, if no such climate existed in Caido...Distracted by Jigano's sudden expressive-departure into something far less jaded and all together more captivating, Remi smiled boyishly. "No person maybe. A few hungry books though?" Trailing off, Remi flashed his counterpart a bright and mischievous smile.

"A personal quest?" The alchemist prompted as they walked. "You do not walk into potentially sentient mazes simply to get fodder for your tales?" He asked with a teasing wink.

REMI

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"The hungry books draw me in, they don't keep me out!" Jigano chuckled, pleased by Remi's joke. "I think I'm going to try making a catalogue of the sentient ones, perhaps try to corral them into one area so people who want to experience their stories can do so by choice, and not by ambush." He grinned wry amusement at how the books seemed to enjoy pouncing on their readers over being chosen. Still, a bit of stability would be no bad thing!

At the prompt, the bard gave a little shake of his head, giving his young companion a smile as he knelt to mark another turn in twine and in his journal. He'd been planning on staying to right-hand turns to keep things simple, but if the squirrels were willing to lead them on he'd take their shortcuts and fight the hedges a different way when they needed to get out. With Remi's hawk-eyes leading from above he could run his way out, hopefully before the maze had time to react.

"If I'm seeking fodder for tales I prefer to travel in company. That way I can chronicle the heroics of those with me, and we can all help each other if someone is injured or in trouble." He hesitated, then gave a little shrug. "To be honest, I'm rather hoping there isn't much of a tale to go with today. Quietly in to gather the efas herbs I'm seeking, and quietly out again would suit me just fine." His lips quirked as they turned again after a pair of helpful rodents, chirping their encouragement just a little ways ahead. "There is such a thing as 'too much' adventure, as it turns out. Wouldn't it be nice if things could be easy for a change?"

With a shake of his head he looked down at his notebook ruefully, turning another page to draw another line of the maze with notes for the turns they weren't taking. "Speaking of... you said you've flown over the maze before. Have you ever seen some little plants in it? Like grass, but with brown protusions in a cluster?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Picturing the library now as some sort of strange petting zoo made Remi chuckle. About to make a quip about cleaning up after the books, his smile fell away as he exhaled the breath he hadn't quite realized he was hiding. Books made him think of the library and of course libraries made him think of Loren. He wished he could think fondly of how frustrated and horrified the duke would be by a bunch of possibly messy and unkempt books, but instead he merely felt that hollow of emotion left by Frey.

"Ahh well, I am not sure I am one for heroics." Remi said mildly, completely unaware of the pattern of his actions that suggested otherwise. Efas herb? The alchemist tilted his head in a remarkably avian way, eyelashes flittering. "A healing plant, if I remember correctly? I believe Isla mentioned it once." Though truthfully Remi couldn't be sure. The flora and fauna of this new place was quite overwhelming already.

"Mmm." Remi agreed emphatically with a nod. There was a time he had thought his life in Northaven had been exciting; that pulling a freshly-stabbed Ronin out of a tussle and dragging him to the healers was an afternoon to be remembered. Now though it seemed he couldn't step out of his door without falling down any number of rabbit holes. "I would even settle for hard, but uninteresting." The alchemist added with a boyish shrug.

Glancing towards the bard, Remi pursed his lips and tried to recall. He'd been more focused on getting the lay of the land itself rather than any specific details about it. "I do not recall." Remi said apologetically. "It was in the early days of having arrived here and I was trying to get a feel for the size of this place. But that was when I found the child. I have not been back since. At least, not since that strange ice-cave mishap."

REMI