[SE] Light Can be Heavy Too
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
sacrifice what you are for what you can become
Longheat had come to its inevitable close, giving way to the beautiful colors and cold winds of Leafchange. The Artist Sanctuary's hall was quieter than usual that night, though it was still relatively active with people browsing the displayed art or a few painters working on their own pieces. If Henry could paint, he would try to capture the essence of the season's change; the way the world adjusted to and deteriorated with the weather. However, he hadn't the knack for that kind of art. As much as he loved to paint, his canvases often ended up muddled.

So, Henry stood behind a hastily set up table. He was wearing a long-sleeved button up (unbuttoned) with a white undershirt and a pair of well-worn pants, having every intention of looking casual. Tonight, he would be creating something that he was actually good at. Strewn all across the wooden surface before him were wax paper, glue, wires, and a few other miscellaneous things. It might've appeared as one big mess; a bunch of objects that didn't go together but, they did.

Leafchange was when the Festival of Lights took place and he wanted to have his lantern ready for it. He'd attended the huge event for many years now. And every year, he would make his own and his younger brother's lanterns. If he did say so himself, he perfected the art of lantern-crafting.

Everything was ready to go. Henry leaned both his hands down on the surface of the table. With a welcoming, charming smile he looked around the room. He was hopeful that there would be people who wanted some help making their lanterns. He'd never done this before but, it was sure to be a fun success. Since no one came up right away - perhaps they were shy - Henry used a pocketknife he often kept handy to cut the wax paper into sheets. Perhaps if he looked busy, someone would get curious and meander over.

HENRY
Dani Regan

Age: 26 | Height: 5'1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 5 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Kuhlu Offline
Change author:
Dani
Who have you chose
to stand as your martyr?
Dani enthusiastically tugged Anden along behind her as they traversed the night-shaded streets of Sanctuary. Ever since stumbling upon the Artist's Sanctuary and learning that Anden had yet to do so, she'd been anticipating coming back to show off her discovery to her friend. As she ran along, the too-large cape she wore dragged along the ground, occasionally tangling between her legs and causing her to stumble.

She burst in through the doors, letting the sounds of chatter and music welcome the two of them. She smiled widely, excited to see that the space was much busier than the last time she'd been by. She turned to Anden and ushered him further in, unwittingly tracking in dirt behind her.

"Look! Isn't it wonderful?" Tapestries, fresh paintings and various other works were scattered about, each more colorful than the next. It was the antithesis of the remainder of Sanctuary, Dani thought. It was like stepping into an entirely separate world; only this time, it was generally appreciated.

"Do you see anything you'd like to do?" Though Dani herself was by no means an artist, she had decided prior to coming that she'd throw caution to the wind and immerse herself in one art project or another. She was open to anything in the name of fun!
To prove purposeful
in courses uncharted
Anden Huff
Huntsman

Age: 30 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 1 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Mro..ddy Offline
Change author:
ANDEN
CHASING THE SUN
Was this the way it felt to not be alone?

Anden stared into Dani's glowing eyes as she dragged him away on their next adventure. They had been showing eachother their favorite spots. Hopefully Dani's wasn't haunted. The Sanctuary was one of the parts of the Grounds Anden avoided. Too many people. Too many sad expressions. But tonight things seemed different. There was a subtle hint of joy in the air. It was faint, but even Anden could sense the hidden smiles on the faces of the Grounders as Dani pulled him towards the Artist's Guild.

The Artist's Guild. No words could describe it. From the moment Dani pushed open the doors to the building, the world changed. The somber darkness from outside was replaced with the unfamiliar -music, smells and laughter. It really was wonderful. "It's so... Wow." Anden was at a loss for words. Things were beautiful outside he knew that, but he never things things on the inside could be so inspiring.

Crafts? She wanted to do crafts. Anden caught himself laughing. He brought her to his favorite place in the this world to stare at the stars - and get spooked, and she brought him here to make crafts. Anden walked over to a semi-empty table. A man sat diligently cutting paper for a project. Anden pulled out a bench for himself and Dani to sit on. In truth any of the crafts would have been fine. Anden wasn't the best when it came to the creative things. His hands were made for the broad swings of an axe, not the gentle stroke of a paintbrush. "Do you mind if we join?"

Anden wasn't sure why he chose to sit there. He wasn't even sure what the craft that they would be doing was. But something felt right. Maybe it was just the fact that he was here with Dani. Or maybe it was in the cheerful smile of the man at the table.

Slowly, Anden began to realize one truth about this new world. He wasn't alone anymore. He might not have Eloise Marie, but he wasn't alone.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Henry did take notice of the couple that wandered into the sanctuary. He raised curious eyes in their direction, noting their excitable demeanors and admiration of the hall. It wasn't an unusual reaction for first-time visitors and, with that in mind, it caught Henry's attention. Were they from one of the newly-discovered lands? Were they outlanders? There were few Hollowed Ground natives that had never been to the hall of art - even just to look. Still, he had set up a post and he couldn't abandon his project no matter how much he wanted to go over and introduce himself.

So he wasn't expecting them to come over to his table and seat themselves eagerly before him. He paused in cutting the paper and looked over them to meet the other man's hazel gaze. He had a kind face, one that Henry didn't recognize - further adding to his suspicion of them being from somewhere else. They seemed like fine people, though. He was more than happy to accommodate them, gesturing for them to sit down.

"Please! Have a seat, make yourselves comfortable. My name is Henry," he offered a friendly grin before carefully measuring another piece. He gave them a moment to introduce themselves (should they want to), and he explained, "I am.. making floating lanterns for the festival! If you've never made one before, I can show you how. Or, if you already know, feel free to use the materials here," he began distributing the freshly-cut sheets of wax paper; two per person. "Hell, I don't care if you want to do something else entirely, I'd just enjoy the company. It's kind of quiet around here tonight. I think everyone's busy celebrating early," he added with a smirk as he leaned in to hand the papers over. He leaned back and glanced between the two of them, asking, "Hey, I hope you don't mind me asking... are you two from around here?"
HENRY
Dani Regan

Age: 26 | Height: 5'1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Dani
Who have you chose
to stand as your martyr?
Dani beamed when Anden led the pair to the table with the lone man; she'd quickly noticed the curiosity in the stranger's gaze and knew it would be as good an opportunity as any to make a new connection within the Hallowed Grounds.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Henry! My name is Dani. Dani Regan." She offered him a quick curtsy, seeing as his hands were too preoccupied for the more casual handshake. As she did so, she noticed the dirtied hem of her cloak, and subsequently the trail of dust that had followed her in. Before settling down on the bench, she removed the garment, revealing the dress beneath that was at-odds with the fashion of Caido. It was a rather simple emerald dress, with half-sleeves and buttons lining the collar down to the bosom. With all that had happened, updating her wardrobe hadn't been a priority.

"If you don't mind showing us the ropes, that'd be lovely. To be frank with you, I wasn't even aware of a festival, let alone floating lanterns," she explained, eagerly receiving the sheets of wax from Henry. "Do they actually float?" Her voice brimmed with anticipation for his answer. Though Dani had come across plenty of fantastical occurrences since arriving in Caido, she still had the sense of wonderment that one might expect of a child, experiencing the world as a novelty.

As Henry carefully questioned their origin, Dani grinned reassuringly. "Don't worry, I think it'd be much more puzzling if you'd assumed we were locals," she chuckled. "I came to the Hallowed Grounds at the end of longheat. Anden was the one to find me, though I imagine he wasn't half as surprised by my arrival as I was." She glanced Anden's way and grinned playfully before refocusing her attention on their new acquaintance. "How about you? Are you also an outlander?"

OOC Note: This isn't really that important, but Dani's prior world was basically just victorian Earth so picture that style of clothing.
To prove purposeful
in courses uncharted
Anden Huff
Huntsman

Age: 30 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
ANDEN
CHASING THE SUN
There were a lot more words than what Anden anticipated when he first sat down. It was oddly pleasant for a change. Anden had grown used to talking only with Dani for the most part. Hearing another's voice, and in such large amounts felt nice.

Anden smiled to himself as Dani opened up to Henry. Even after everything they went through in the Glades, Dani wasn't letting it get to her. She was stronger than she thought - they both were. As Dani removed her overcoat, Anden took hold of it, trying to wipe the dirt and grime off from it. "I'm Anden. We're part of the misfits that live up at the Manor.

It was moments like this, Anden thought as he looked around the guild, moments like this that reminded Anden how tight the people of the Grounds were. There may not have been many here, but the few that were seemed content with one another's company. "I don't mind the quiet." Anden added. "We could really use a way to relax. Memories of the ghosts that had terrorized them only a few nights before came to his mind. Anden shook his head, sending the images flying.

"We're both new here I guess you could say. I found Dani at the end of last season, and Oliver found me in the middle of it. I guess it was time for some freshblood around here anyways. Anden rubbed the wax paper between his fingers. "What are the lanterns for?" Anden took off his own jacket, gently wrapping it around the edge of the chair, with Dani's coat overtop.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Dani was very charming, indeed, her curtsy making Henry chuckle. He didn't recall anyone ever curtsying for him before but, it was a welcome surprise. So as not to be rude, he offered his own playful bow in return.  He cast a furtive glance at her dark red hair. Hair that color was unusual, but, he thought that it suited her.  Anden was friendly, as well, though a little more reserved. He seemed nice, though, taking the girl's coat and wiping it clean.

Henry's smile hardened into a more serious expression when Dani and Anden clarified that his suspicions had been correct. They weren't from the Hollowed Grounds, not even from Caido. They were Outlanders. At Dani's question, Henry's eyes wandered up to the far wall as he imagined what it must have been like to be an outlander. He came back down to earth quickly, though, tucking his ponderings away for later. "No, I was born and raised here in the Hollowed Grounds. I've never really been anywhere else, either. Not for more than selling goods, anyway," he explained to her, his tone faltering at the end.

Henry loved his home. And he loved the family and friends he had there. But, after twenty-five years of working on the farm, he wanted more out of life. He was incredibly unhappy that, in spite of that, he couldn't seem to get out - in a broad sense. Not that it was anyone else's fault but his own. He just didn't know what to do about it.

He breezed on with a small yet heavy sigh and an understanding smile that he offered the both of them, "I don't know what it's like to lose everything but, I can try to understand how it must feel... It must be scary. But, I'm glad you've found a place to stay and friends to rely on. Usually, people around here are very accomodating to Outlanders... well, because we get a lot of them. So, in that sense, you're really not alone at all; there are lots of people who know exactly what you're going through, or who want to help," he scratched the back of his head, "hopefully that is a little comforting, at least."

He was about to move on to the next step; the glue. Then, he realized that Anden had asked him probably the most important question he could ask at that moment.

Henry paused and said, "Oh, yeah. The lanterns! Well, they're for the Festival of Lights that's coming up later this season. Everyone that goes usually makes lanterns and dolls. It might be a nice thing for you both to go too, if you want. It's... um, well, the lanterns are lit for our loved ones that have been lost. Whether that's... you know, the people back in your home world or people who passed away. There's really no wrong way to do it. I, personally, like to make floating lanterns," he gestured to the ingredients laid out across the table with a proud grin - he thought himself very clever for this - but, as he explained their purpose, his smile disappeared once more, "they're kind of my specialty. My brother and I lost our grandparents when we were young. He only remembers them a little but, I was old enough to remember everything. They're the ones who started my family's farm. They were really kind and generous. If someone was in need, they would give whatever they could spare to help that person. They were the best kind of people, you know. Anyway, that was a looong time ago, so... don't worry about me."

He offers a genuine, reassuring smile, "In honor of their memory, I make lanterns every year. For some reason I can't explain, it gives me a lot of hope to see these go up into the air and light up the sky."
HENRY
Dani Regan

Change author:
Dani
Who have you chose
to stand as your martyr?
Dani smiled warmly at her friend, touched by the care he took with her. Not a day went by where she wasn't reminded of how lucky she'd been to be picked up by Anden when she'd first arrived in Caido. After their evening in the glade, she had a new appreciation for how seamlessly she'd been able to transition into her new life.

"Is there any reason in particular you've stayed so close to home?" Dani fumbled with the materials in front of her, struggling to make it match Henry's project. "Personally, I've always had a hard time staying put, though maybe I just haven't found the right place with the right people." She wasn't sure if she believed it possible for herself to live an idle life, but as the saying goes, never say never.

"That isn't to say I haven't enjoyed being here. I haven't talked with anyone who's been anything less than welcoming since I arrived at the Hallowed Grounds." Though she had found many residents to be a bit bit gloomy and reserved, she hadn't really talked with those people, so her statement had cleverly avoided any potentially offensive opinions. After all, this was the first true conversation she'd had with a native to Caido, and as such, she was taking special care in ensuring it went well.

"As for being an Outlander in Caido, I'm actually quite grateful. How many people, do you think, spend their nights praying for a clean slate? I've been given a new life in nearly every sense of the word, so there's no need to afford me any pity. As far as I'm concerned, I've been given an impossible gift." Dani sat back and looked at the odd shape her "lantern" had begun to take. She looked between her and Henry's lanterns, comparing their progress. No passerby would think they were attempting to create the same item. "Are the dolls any easier to make?" she asked hopefully.

Dani listened sympathetically as Henry shared the sentiment behind the lanterns. "Even if it was a long time ago, I'm sorry for your loss. Losing kind people is a tragedy for everyone, but especially for the ones who loved them." She smiled in a way she hoped felt reassuring. "I think it's safe to say we could all use the catharsis of the festival. I'd be delighted to go!"
To prove purposeful
in courses uncharted
Anden Huff
Huntsman

Change author:
ANDEN
CHASING THE SUN
Everything seemed at peace. As if Anden and Dani had grown up alongside Henry in the Grounds. There were many things Anden struggled with in Caido. The biggest was finding ways to talk with Dani. He wasn't gifted with words, or naturally social. Seeing Dani and Henry talk so freely... So actively, it worried him - and the fact that it worried him, bothered him. Was he not good enough for Dani? Was he too silent?

Anden wasn't an artist by trade. His hands were rough from years of manual labor, still he did his best to follow Henry's directions and example to craft his own lantern. He silently worked away as Dani and Henry continued to exchange words. In many ways, this was the closest he felt to home since he arrived in Caido.

How Dani always managed to look at life and see the positive he wasn't sure. Even in a world like Caido she saw it as a blessing, while Anden saw it as a curse. Her positivity was infectious though, and with each passing day he started to see things differently. He wasn't sure he would ever see the Grounds, or Caido as a blessing like Dani, but he was certain with time he could see it as his home.

Anden caught himself moving to wipe the tears that would never fall from his eyes, as Henry finished his story of his grandparents. He'd never felt loss like Henry did. The closest was when he was pulled away from his home by The Voice. Except Anden could still have hope. Somewhere out there was Eloise Marie, if not in this world than in his last. There was still hope that he might one day be with her, and his family again. Henry didn't have that luxury.

Breaking his silence Anden spoke up. "It sounds beautiful. Like shooting stars across the skies." Anden stopped cutting the wax paper, to put his hand on Dani's shoulder. "Maybe we should go see it. It's as good of a reason as any to see what else is out there." Caido was a world filled with beauty, and Anden wanted to see it all.

He turned his attention back to Henry. "You'd have to come though. We could all use a break from this place." Anden said as he looked out the window of the sanctuary and into the gloomy Grounds. "What better way to celebrate their life than to live yours. He offered a smile to Henry.

The trio were similar in many ways. All seeming to want more from life, but none ready to take on the world on their own.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry took in a deep breath at Dani's question, watching her awkward struggle with the materials he'd given her. He was grateful, however, that she moved on without quite waiting for him to answer. He took that opportunity to dodge the question. He nodded along with interest as she spoke, eyes darting between her and the paper beneath her careful hands.

"That's a really good way to look at it. Things might not be the same but, you can easily make a place for yourself here in Caido if you focus on that," he said, impressed by her resilience in spite of what had happened to her. He lifted his eyes across to Anden momentarily, noting that he was silent during much of the conversation. Henry would've asked if he felt the same sentiment but, it was a little too clear that maybe there something in his old life that he wasn't ready to give up yet.

"It depends on what kind of materials you want to use for the dolls. I usually make mine out of straw," he grinned, "though that's mostly because I love how silly-looking it turns out," he eyed Dani's work and pointed out to the both of them, "Feel free to grab the wires and start making them into the shape you want your lantern to be in. Once you settle on something, I can help you get the paper on - if you need. It doesn't have to be perfect, as long as its unique to you. And we can light them to see how they look without losing them, too.. just need to use the wires. Here, watch,"

Henry lowered his gaze and began to work on his lantern, though slow enough that the two of them could see how he did his. He folded his wires into the rough shape of the upper body of an eagle. So, perhaps it looked like two rounded sides with a large triangle between them for the head. He then guided the paper around them, using the glue to secure it. He ended up having to grab a few more pieces of paper since it was a bit big, but he left a wire ring around the bottom opening (where a wax-soaked rag would go to light it). There, at the base, he added some wires to come down and meet, where he tied a string to keep hold of the lantern (without risk of it burning off).

He heard Anden speak up suddenly and he smiled at his reassuring words, to both him and to Dani. He raised his eyebrows and set down the finished lantern to meet Anden's hazel eyes as he invited him along. "Of course, I'll come," but if Anden thought Henry missed his look out of the window, he was wrong, "you know, there are lots of places that you can explore that are nothing like the Grounds. I know how it is to live here, trust me, it's not exactly.. the brightest place. To answer Dani's question earlier," he glanced back at her, "there's really no reason for me to stay anymore. My brother's old enough to take my place while I'm gone... I just haven't had the courage to take that leap and go."
HENRY
Anden Huff
Huntsman

Change author:
ANDEN
CHASING THE SUN
Anden played with the wires as Henry showed them how they worked. They bent and folded with ease. Each movement of the wrist helping form whatever Henry put his mind too. It was like hot metal, just without the heat. Anden started to shape his own, into the rough outline of a tree.

He smiled when Henry agreed to join them on their adventure to the see the Lantern Festival. Having a natural with them put ease in Anden's bones. He and Dani were still new to this world, still new to how things worked. Trying to navigate it alone could have been a problem. Looking into Henry's eyes though, he saw safety. They weren't alone anymore.

"It's a plan then!" Anden put his hand in the middle of the group. He glanced over at Dani with bright eyes. "We'll escape the gloom, we'll give eachother courage and see what the world has in store for us." Anden wasn't entirely sure if he was trying to encourage himself, or the others with his words.

He focused back on his lantern. Finishing the metal casing of the tree. He applied his own glue from his hands to secure the shape. "What's it like living in the farmlands?  It was a different lifestyle than Anden's own, here or in his past life. Working every minute to secure food and safety for your family. It seemed tough, yet Henry had so much hope inside of him. He was better than the Grounds.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry watched with keen interest as Anden used some sort of sticky substance on his hands to enforce the shape of his lantern. "That's the idea..." Henry commented, meant to encourage - about both the lantern and seeing the world. Alhough, he clearly sounded a bit puzzled, "what's that on your hands?"

Henry awaited the answer and took some scraps of cloth he'd already prepared for this. The trick was to melt candlewax and then soak the cloth in it before it dried. Then, it could be used to lit the lanterns. Grabbing some, he fastened it to the wires that lined the opening of the paper so that the gas produced by the flames could make the paper lift up. Otherwise, they would have to be careful with their lanterns until they were ready to be lit.

At Anden's question, Henry lifted his gaze once more. "It's alright," he handed a few of the wax-soaked rags to Anden and Dani for their own lanterns. He briefly instructed them before going on about his life as a farmer, "Tie those like mine. Farming is... well, it's a lot of work. I try to take advantage of all the free time that I can but, I haven't had much of a chance to really see the world yet. I will admit that my family's very lucky to have so much success in this place, though."
HENRY