static shocks
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
you are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world
Finn knows what he's likely to find at the Hollowed Grounds, and so it's Halo that makes up his third stop. He's relieved, in a way, to know that there's someone he might speak to about the lightning storms that's away from the Grounds and the friction building there, though quite where he'll find Loren Launceleyn is another matter. Still, the Spyglass is fairly adept at seeking people out, and so he stands in the frozen streets with purpose in mind.

The coat he's wearing now is thick and heavy, and he's adorned with a scarf and gloves as he slides his glasses on his nose. The world explodes in a wash of colour that's familiar enough now that it's comfortable again, Finn tracking the ribbons of light and vibrancy along the cobblestones through eyes ringed with fatigue.

And he catches what he's looking for - the curiosity that is a mixture of Abandoned and Attuned that he's never really seen before - and before he knows it, his feet are following the aura wherever it might take him.
and that, I believe
is why you are in so much pain
FINN
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Love mends even the broken parts
It might take Finn to the infirmary where Loren worked (and slept these days). It was empty, the few Halovians who actually deigned to visit him being cured quickly enough of their ailments by his magic. He was standing with his back to the entrance, frowning down at the herbs that were struggling to survive in the freezing temperature that was Halo.

Watering them with a wave of his hand and the barest trickle of magic, he moved them a little closer to the fireplace and in a shaft of light. Patting the edge of their pots, he then laid a finger on each and tried to bolster them with his healing magic though he was pretty sure it didn't work that way.

When the door opened, he glanced over his shoulder at the stranger. "Hi there. How can I help you?" The healer smiled even as he swept his gaze over the other man, checking for signs of injury or illness but nothing stood out. Besides exhaustion and cold, which were frankly basically omnipresent in the region. Facing front, the Firebrand stepped towards his desk, gesturing for the stranger to take the seat opposite from Loren.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
The man takes him in and Finn stares in return, confirming that this curious mesh of aura is what he's looking for. "Are you Loren Launceleyn?" he asks, the words muffled through the scarf he's trying to unloop from around his nose and mouth, the door clinking shut behind him.

The seat is offered and he nods his gratitude, moving to sink down into it. "My name is Finn Rosencrantz. I heard you were part of an expedition to look at the lightning storms in the Hollowed Grounds. I wondered if I might ask you a few questions about it."

He speaks quietly and politely, as though the weather has frozen away any ounce of personality behind cold lips.
and that, I believe
FINN
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
As the other man moved closer and began to remove his scarf, his features grew clearer. As they did, Loren froze, smile shattering.

No. It couldn't be.

The blood drained from his cheeks and fur rippled along his arms, even as his fingernails shifted to claws and frost spread out in small circle at his feet.  As the stranger got rid of the last of the cloth obscuring his face, though, the healer finally breathed out, trying to rein in his magic and rampant shifting.

It wasn't Remi, just someone who bore an uncanny resemblance to him.

Still, it was enough to rattle the Firebrand. Blinking, he ran a hand through his hair. "Finn, you said? Oh, yes, I'm uh, Loren. Just Loren. Sorry you um...I mistook you for someone else." Turning to the stove, Loren took some deep breaths while his back was to Finn. Then the healer took out two mugs and poured some tea in both of them.

Facing the room again, he placed one of the mugs in front of the visitor. "Chamomile. It'll help you warm up." Heading over to the fireplace, the Firebrand ladled some stew (Ningo broth and root vegetables, nothing fancy) into a bowl and grabbed a hunk of bread, placing both in front of the other man as well.

Only then did Loren retrieve his own mug and settled into his chair, his racing heart and nerves both calmed by the familiar actions. "Yes, I went into the storms. Well, kind of." He curled his fingers around the cup. "Why do you want to know?"
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
Well, that's quite a reaction. Finn sits up in his seat, rigid almost, the sight of magic used so casually enough to have the hairs raising on the back of his neck. His lips part to ask if he's done something wrong when the other man finally speaks, and if he wasn't cold already, the realisation turns the blood in his veins to ice. "He's everywhere," he mutters before he can stop himself, absently slipping the glasses off his nose so he can fold them away in the inside pocket of his coat.

"Just Loren, then," he says, forcing a recovery much the same way the Firebrand is doing, and when Finn glances up it's to find tea and stew coming his way, surprising him all over again. "Oh... uh - thank you," he mumbles, reaching for the tea first so he might wrap his hands around the cup, letting the heat sink into his palms however much it might burn.

"Kind of?" he echoes automatically, before catching himself. "I was wondering what you found out there. How many of you went, that sort of thing. I'm researching all of the areas where these sorts of barriers are found."
and that, I believe
FINN
the Firebrand

Change author:
Letting out a huff of laughter at Finn's comment, Loren shrugged. "Ah, so you've met Remi too?" Sighing, he shook his head. "Pretty sure he wants me dead, hence my reaction. Sorry. Again." Biting his lip, he looked away, scratching the back of his head.

Waving away the other man's thanks, the healer tried to muster an actual smile. "You're welcome." Drumming his fingers along the side of his cup, he took a sip.

Nodding at the other man's repetition, the Firebrand set down his cup. He mimed digging with a shovel. "Yeah. We more went under them than through them." Retrieving his mug, he sipped again, then peered over the rim at Finn. "What interests you in Rae's storms?"
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
"Ah," Finn says, because he isn't sure what else there is to say to a response like that. He bites back questions - why does he want you dead? how do you know him? - in lieu of his reason for being here, and he sips at the tea and hums a note of gratitude into the warmth that spreads through his bones. Trading out the cup of tea for the bowl of stew, not wanting to appear rude (he's also famished and has only just realised), he watches and listens as Loren explains, packing this all away to jot down as notes later.

"That's ingenious," he remarks quietly. "Did you get very far with digging, rather than trying to go through them?" As for why he's asking, it's not exactly a secret, and Finn swallows his bite of stew before responding. "I work for an organisation called the Order. It has been noted that the storms are less intense than they have been previously. We're wondering if there's a reason why."
and that, I believe
FINN
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren sipped from his tea, glad to leave the topic of Remi behind them. Shrugging at Finn's compliment, the healer sighed. "Unclear. It's hard to tell how far you've traveled underground, to be honest. We made it to some sort of cavern, but disturbed something that resided there and decided to turn back before it could find us."

Frowning, he tilted his head to one side. "What is the Order?" Snorting at the rest of the explanation, he waved a hand in the air. "Probably because there's no need for them anymore. Supposedly Rae put them in place to prevent the Ascended from creating more portals. Now that multiple portals have been opened...reopened? activated, the storms will dissipate." He raised his eyebrows, wondering if that tidbit would help the other man's research or not.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
Finn nods in understanding, sipping a little more tea and stew and feeling himself starting to come around a bit from his frosty trek through the Citadel. With the return of his senses, he connects dots that Loren can't really see (because they're related to other conversations the Spyglass has had with others who have explored the storms). "Probably a wise decision," he remarks of their turning back before whatever was in the cavern could come upon them. "Who was part of the group, if I might ask? Did they come from all around to the Hollowed Grounds?"

What is the Order, though? Finn smiles gently. "It existed when the Voice was outside the barrier of the Grounds, and it still exists now," he explains, as if that should allow Loren to connect the dots. "If the storms are dissipating for the reasons you say - and they very well might be - then that only points to things escalating."
and that, I believe
FINN
the Firebrand

Change author:
"Few have accused me of being wise before." Loren's lips twitched. "Everyone else was from the Hollowed Ground. Wessex Theskyra, Samuel Wordsworth, and Oliver, no last name." Raising his eyebrows at Finn, the healer tapped a finger against the rim of his cup. "It was the second expedition into the lightning storms, by the way. Recently, that is."

Nope, no dots would be connected bt the Firebrand during any of this conversation. Instead, he just blinked at the other man's explanation that wasn't. "Yeah okay, but what is it? Who are you and what do you do?"

Frowning, Loren sat up straighter in his chair. Setting his tea down, he leaned forward. "Escalating how?" He stared at Finn, eyes narrowing slightly and mouth becoming pinched as fur rippled along the healer's arms again.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
As Loren begins to list names, Finn does take out his notepad, jotting them down and pausing only for another sip of tea. He raises his eyebrows, not having realised there had been multiple expeditions into the storms - though from Loren's comments so far, he got the impression that neither adventure had been succesful. "Were you on both trips?" he asks curiously. "It's a long way to travel, if you're based here in Halo."

There's a sudden impression that he's walking on a knife edge, and Finn finishes his bowl of stew and glances up at this hybrid of Abandoned and Attuned. "We are in place to stop the Voice and the Ascended from repeating what happened three hundred years ago," he explains. "The fact that the storms are relenting on their own is no sign of weakness on the part of the Old Gods, if indeed that is the reason they are dispersing. It means the inevitable is becoming more likely." War.
and that, I believe
FINN
the Firebrand

Change author:
"Just the second. I was taking a brief trip to visit friends and decided to help out while I was there." Loren raised his eyebrows at Finn, taking a sip of tea.

As the other man spoke, the healer's frowned deepened. "What happened three hundred years ago? Stop them how?"

Scowling now, he shook his head. "I never said it was. But inevitable according to whom? Because from what I understand, only the gods of life and death actually care about perpetuating this conflict." He drummed his fingers against the wood of his desk. "I've met Frey and Rae, and while they don't like the Ascended or the Voice, neither of them seem interested in actively opposing her."
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
Now it's Finn's turn to raise his eyebrows, unaware that the history lesson would be necessary. "Three hundred years ago an Abandoned called herself a goddess and started a war with the Old Gods. She was imprisoned within a barrier in the Hollowed Grounds - I am sure you can tell who I'm talking about." As for how to stop them, Finn merely shrugs his shoulders. "It would be a very simple world if I were to know all the answers," he says.

Unsure what has caused the sudden and deep scowl on the man's face, Finn shifts uncomfortably in his seat. "Frey and Rae do not actively support her either. Such is the way of nature, to stand and watch and record." He furrows his brow - quite what one of three gods has to do with this, he isn't sure. "I am only here to discuss the storms, however. I shouldn't take up any more of your time."
and that, I believe
FINN
the Firebrand

Change author:
Sighing at the tale that Finn spun, Loren nodded. "You know for a fact that the Voice was the one to strike the first blow? Or you were just told that? Because I've heard conflicting reports from everyone I've spoken to about the matter." He rubbed his temples. "Are you going to imprison them inside the barrier again? Kill them all? What?" Shaking his head, the healer bit his lip.

"You say the Order follows the Old Gods. Yet from what it sounds like, you're actively intervening, meaning you're only following some of the old gods and not others. So why are life and death so much more important than simply letting nature run its course?" Drumming his fingers against the table, he grunted as the other man made motions to leave. "And if I have more questions for you?" The Firebrand leaned forward.
loren

Coding base by Sky!