You should be living a different life
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAMUEL

Do you remember what you said to me?
'Cause we lost track of time
The letter had been a difficult decision. Sam had suspected that if he had simply never contacted Nate again and let him be, only see him at the odd family meeting, he could get away without ever having another conversation with the man. Leave that particular messy chapter of his life behind and get on with other things, pretend that Nate had never existed, that he'd never lived in Torchline...but it wasn't that simple, now that he owed Nate a considerable favour.

Nate had asked for them to have a clean slate in return for what he had done, and Sam had had little choice but to accept. Knowing he'd have to make good on a visit before guilt consumed him, he had written the letter. Asking Nate to come over for a simple cup of tea; probably not his kind of thing, but...well, Sam wasn't murdering people or running about feral every day.

He waited in his shop, the door shut and the closed sign up so they wouldn't be disturbed, but he had said in the letter that Nate could come in regardless; it wasn't locked. The kettle boiling and some chairs arranged around a small table, Sam tapped his fingers against his thigh as he waited.
Yeah, we lost track of time
You always let me down so tenderly
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
– NATE –
The letter had been a surprise. Exactly what he wanted, if he was being honest with himself, but no less of a surprise for it. It worked out though, with Nate in the grounds, catching up on other things, he could afford the time to visit Sam, without turning it into a thing.

It’s strange how familiar the bookstore is, and how alien it is. The last time he’d been here, he and Sam had screamed in each other’s faces, and now he was here for tea.

Nate opens the door without even looking at the closed sign, making his way into the back of the shop, where he knows there’s a kitchen, and sitting area waiting. Where he knows there’s already mugs set out, Sam probably waiting for him. It’s only when he reaches the back, sees all his assumptions are true, that he pauses, a strange discomfort gripping him.

Pushing through it has always been his strength though, and this is no different, Nate pressing a sharp grin to his lips. ”Look at you, going all out.” He rumbles, pulling out the chair across from Sam and dropping into it.
king rat on the streets in another life
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAMUEL

The sound of the door opening made Sam sit up straight, though he really didn't know why. There was no point trying to impress Nate, Sam's opinion of the man already pretty low and any romantic possibilities well and truly stamped out by now. Sam wanted to tell himself it was a desire to look strong in front of an enemy, or at least an old ex...but it wasn't that either. He genuinely wanted to impress Nate.

Maybe it was just because Nate was cool, especially with the effortless way he sat, mumbling one his one liner without even a moment of hesitation. Sam, far less adept at smooth talking, nodded and let out a shy little laugh, pushing the cup of tea towards Nate. "Well, it's not that different to what I do for...for anyone that visits." Usually he had biscuits too, but they wouldn't be needing those. Ascended parties tended to have terrible buffets.

"So! Um...how are you?" He asked after a moment, leaning back into his chair in an effort to seem far too casual, as if he wasn't bothered at all by what they had discussed the last time they had met.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
– NATE –
For all the time that has passed since he’d last been in the bookstore, nothing had changed. No, that’s not quite right. Something has changed, something imperceptible that Nate can’t quite put his finger on, not until he sits, actually gets a moment to focus.

It’s Sam. Sam has changed, in some way that is, much like the store itself, deeply familiar and utterly alien. A hand reaches out to pull the offered cup close, Nate turning this développement over and over in his mind. ”It makes it feel normal, huh?” He laughs, not wanting to tip his hand, though it isn’t as if he hold anything.

”I’ve been... busy.” Nate laughs, and takes a sip of his tea, the memory of its flavour accompanying the smell that wafts towards him when he does. ”Turns out being crazy for half a season leaves a lot of work behind. And there’s the Governor shit, and... it’s been a time.” Bicoloured eyes lock on Sam, Nate’s brows furrowed like he’s trying to piece together a puzzle, trying to figure out where everything fits between them. Trying to avoid the big red button that seems to look over every conversation they have. ”How are you?
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL

"I don't even remember what it was like to actually eat and drink, but cups of tea comfort me somehow." Sam smiled and shrugged, his hands going to wrap around the cup. He hadn't actually started drinking tea until after he'd Ascended, having picked the habit up from his mentor as a late teenager; he wondered how it would be to fully taste it. Even with his patch, he'd not had the full human experience.

At least Nate seemed happy to drink some without the added spirits nowadays, though Sam supposed that was likely because it wouldn't make a difference anymore. "Governor stuff? I thought Sunjata was the Governor; do you help him a lot?" He knew that Nate had the frankly laughable title of managing 'Social Affairs', but he didn't know how much work that actually involved.

"Me? Oh, I'm...alright. Getting used to life here again." He sighed as the topic got within touching distance of that again and tried to pull it away, thinking of something he could say that might catch Nate's attention. "I've been...seeing someone, too, which has been nice."
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
– NATE –
Nate hums, nodding along with Sams words. He wonders if it’s easier to have never tasted soemthing at all, or if it’s worse to slowly forget the flavours that had once been so bold. Even the tea in his cup carried with it a memory of taste, cut through sharply with his usual imbibments, while each sip brought him nothing at all.

”Sunjata is, but it’s a big job, especially with everything else that’s happened.” So of course he’s helping out, lending his hands and his shoulders wherever they’re needed. ”This is the first break we’ve had since the news. And it’s going to be nothing but work once we go back. Setting up the council stuff, getting construction going.” It was going to be an ordeal.

Nate knows it’s a dig, knows Sam is bringing it up purely to poke at him, and he refuses to give into it. Refuses to listen to his first instinct, which is a sneering, bitter thing. They’re meant to be getting along. ”Are you now? Must be exciting. Who’s the lucky guy?” He takes a sip of his tea on the heels of the words, if only to cover up some of his face until he can school it properly.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL

"Everything else? Do you mean the illness, or has there been something else in Torchline?" Sam asked, having purposefully avoided news of his temporary home in the last season, the thought of it sometimes too much pain to bear. Other than that Nate's answer was mundane and acceptable enough; he nodded, wondering if Sunjata and Nate really were the best people for the project...if Remi had thought so, he'd have to just trust that decision.

Sam sank back into his chair a little, genuinely excited to speak about Amun. "I don't know if you know him, though he is Ascended. Amun? He's a potter. We've been going on a couple of dates...and one walk to the Climb, because the Voice has been asking me to explore there." He pulled a face thinking of the place, the multiple visits not having done anything to make it fonder in his heart. "Have you been to the Climb? It's horrible."
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
– NATE –
Nates hand comes up to rub at the back of his neck, an uncharacteristic sheepishness coming over him. ”The illness, yea, and uh... we burnt down our house, somehow.” It’s a whole story that the doctor is absolutely unwilling to simply offer up, though the logic had been sound in the moment, it was just embarrassing to think about now.

The cup of tea lowers, a proper grin fixed to Nate’s face now to see Sam so genuinely excited about something. About someone. He’s come a long way. Fate has a way of slapping him in the face though, and this particular slap comes in the form of a familiar name. ”I know Amun.” He confirms, voice hollow. ”Congratulations.”

A conversational buoy is thrown his way by Sams subject change, the Climb as easier subject to step around than his attitude towards the potter. ”I have been there. The underground bits are nicer than the above ground bits.” Even now, thoughts of the Obsidian Cathedral haunted him, his job coming back to the forefront of his mind. ”Im actually heading that way once we’re done here.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL

"You...burnt...what?" Sam asked, tilting his head to one side. From what he remembered while he had been sick and over at Nate and Sunjata's, the house had been very much in one piece, so whatever happened must have happened after that...thinking of that day, some vague memories to do with worms in Nate's face surfaced, but they weren't quite vivid enough to bother mentioning. "...intentionally?"

He wasn't sure how insurance worked in Torchline, but he wouldn't put it above Sunjata and Nate to commit fraud and arson.

The genuine smile on Nate's face was nice to see and Sam nodded, sipping his own tea and smirking off to the side, thinking of the dates they'd had so far. "He's been very romantic. For our first date we went to the Atheneum and he asked me to read to him, and he'd set up lights and cushions...it was lovely." Far more so than anything Nate had done for him, though Sam didn't say that, just looked over to see what Nate thought of the date.

"I think all of the bits are bad." He shook his head, trying to think of an inch of the Climb where he hadn't felt in danger. Nate had to be insane to be going there willingly, so maybe he had a mission too. "Why are you going there?"
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
– NATE –
”Yea, it was a mess. We saved some stuff, kept it from burning down Remi and Robins place while they were still there, and uh... moved into the boxing ring.” It’s all temporary, and maybe that’s what keeps Nate’s voice so light as he explains. Though his brows pull together at the question, the implication lingering behind it not one he necessarily likes. ”No, not intentionally, obviously.” Though Nate knows deep in his gut that if he goes through the whole story, even with the caveat of mind addling sickness, it will sound intentional. So he sucks his teeth, shrugs easily, as if it didn’t really matter. ”It was an accident. A candle got knocked over, we didn’t notice until it was too late.”

If Nate is being honest, what Sam describes is not his idea of a good time. He’s tryi to be supportive though, so he nods, let’s his smile creep wider across his face. ”Sounds nice. Like you two are real good for each other.” Whatever he privately thought of Amun wasn’t going to come out, his complaints and venom. Not so soon at least. It’s not Sam’s fault entirely, but he does have a history, and Nate is more than ready to to bitch with the other ascended if things go sour.

This is place where they’ve danced before, attitudes on the Voice shifting, changing. Even now, Nate isn’t sure where Sam’s opinions lie, isn’t sure how his words will be taken. ”Ill be setting up a shrine for the Voice, in one of the underground chambers.” He licks his lips, pauses for just long enough that it seems like he might be done, then continues. ”Its like this place was made for us. Dark, and quiet and huge.” He stops just short of saying it feels holy, of sati that it reminds him of the churches of his childhood. It’s something Bastien would understand better than Sam.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL

While Nate still hadn't gone quite as extreme as Sam's murder, it was in a way comforting to hear that he wasn't the only one to have had something terrible happen as a result of the illness. "..Well, um, I hope you can sort it out soon. Are you moving somewhere new, or hoping to repair the old house?" Presumably they weren't planning on living in the Boxing Ring permanently, though of all the people he could see doing that, Nate and Sunjata were high on the list.

Smiling and nodding back at Nate, he drew his legs up closer to himself and sipped from his tea, the happy flush of someone with a crush clear on his face even without a blush.

Hearing of Nate's mission he only nodded, not disapproving or praising it. "I see. I am meant to be going to the Climb soon to help make a portal there. I think that has to be in the Burrows, though..." Sam sighed and pressed a hand to his forehead. "It's horrible there. But that's what the Voice wants." And what she wanted, she got.

All of these topics were interesting and fine to talk about, but there was something lingering at the back of Sam's mind as they spoke. "I was wondering...do you mind if I ask you more about your life before Caido? Since you told me some of it, I've always been curious to know more..."
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
– NATE –
A laugh leaves Nate, his head shaking before an answer leaves him. ”We’re building something new.” They had a spot, had plans, which were being carried out by friends back home, not that he was aware of that. ”The Slagveld is fine for now, but it’s not home.” A warm excitement spreads over his face as well, almost but not quite matching Sams. It’s strange, to be sharing this moment with the other man, but Nate has never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

”Oh?” Nate chews his lip, seeming to consider something, going over times in his head. ”I’ll probably still be around by the time you get there. I can help out if you want.” It’s not an offer he wants to make, Nate lithe to add yet more days away from home to his excursion, but if it makes him look good, he’s not exactly willing to skip it. Not when helping would be so easy. When it would benefit him too, being able to skip the long trek back through Halo.

”What, did you invite me over to interrogate me?” Nate manages to laugh, easing the accusation of his words, though the idea doesn’t necessarily sit well with him. This is part of making an effort though, isn’t it? ”Depends what you want to know, you know?”
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL

Sam had not pinned Nate down as the house-building sort, but he supposed Outlanders had to adopt many new skills when they arrived in Caido and afterwards. "Have you and Sunjata made a plan, then? Are you going to build it, or are you hiring someone to?" He knew he'd have no idea where to start.

As for his portal mission, Nate's offer to help was immediately accepted, Sam nodding and leaning forward, clearly eager to have someone else on board. "Yes please. I hate the Climb. The more people with me the better, and you even have experience there. Hopefully we won't be around too long for what I want to do, though." Really though, Sam had no idea what would be involved in making the portal or how long it would take; he could only pray the Voice had something brief in mind.

Shaking his head at the suggestion he wanted to interrogate Nate, Sam took a long drink of his tea then set it down. "No, I just...a part of having a friendship is knowing more about each other, isn't it? And I am curious. We could start very simple. Like...what was your day to day life like, before you came here? What did you do every day?"
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
– NATE –
”Little bit of both.” Nate says with a shrug. ”I know a bit about construction, but it’s probably safer to leave it in the hands of people who actually do it regularly.” Probably safest to have it out of his hands entirely, and little does he know that’s exactly what’s happening.

Even though he’d been the one to offer, there’s still a tiny part of Nate that hopes Sam doesn’t need, hopes he can focus purely on his task and then leave. He’s not so lucky though, a resigned smile coming to his face. ”The less time it takes, the happier I’ll be.” He finished off the last of his tea and chuckles across at Sam. ”I never thought I’d be here, doing stuff like this.”

While he’d been talking specifically about his time in Caido tending towards the unexpected, the other ascended goes a step further. What he did in the day to day was simple though, safe enough to answer. ”It didn’t look much different than it was before I ascended. I woke up late, went and did uh,” Here he rubs at his mouth, glancing away from Sam for a moment, ”my job, I guess, and then I fucked around until I got kicked out of enough places that I went home.” It was nothing exciting, nothing unusual.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3