in every hollow, every cloud on the horizon
Az!
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
I will stand by you forever; you can take my breath away
What’s this? What’s this? An effort to have a personal relationship with everyone in the family? By Goddess, YES IT IS.

Also known as Azrael and Wessex’s first now-they-can-have-a-real-conversation excursion. A momentous occasion and perhaps the start of something beautiful - a hope she’d once had for Osozo, but alas, the middle child seems to have disappeared. Of course the Wraith feels guilty about it, about not noticing that perhaps they were ill-suited for the world and needed more assistance than she could provide; she doesn’t know where they are, only that they aren’t dead.

So that leaves Azrael, really, as closest to her. She has the orb in a small satchel and knocks on Bastien’s door, having sent a note ahead yesterday to request Azrael come on a walk with her. Hopefully the two of them will have gotten both the note for Az and some kind of word from Henry about Bastien’s part in all this, otherwise it will be rather odd indeed. Pushing a few strands of hair aside, the Wraith steps back and waits for the youngest member of the family to join her.
WESSEX
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
Azrael

An outing has made them very excited. An outing with Wessex and not their father has made them even more excited. They’re practically vibrating by the time the knock on the door is heard, hopping up from the couch from where they’d spent part of the day working on their diagrams for the Ruin’s, before grabbing a pack they sling around their shoulder and excitedly wave goodbye to their father before they’re opening the door with a wide fanged grin. “Hi!” They chime, stepping forward to close the door behind them, eager to get a move on, to start this adventure.

They shift the pack on their shoulder, dark honeyed eyes so similar to Bastien’s with a sapphire ring of blue around the outside from their mother, lift to meet Wessex’s face. “Thanks for asking me to come with you. I’m very excited about this.” As if Wessex couldn’t tell, they’re still nearly vibrating. Something for the young, teenage version of themselves whom had just been a child seasons ago, to look forward to.

A part of the family, indeed!
mind over matter
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Their eagerness and good nature is contagious - just like their mother, she thinks. “Well I heard you got old enough to hold a real conversation and thought it might be a good time to try to get to know each other.” This is the calm before the storm; once they get into Deepfrost, once they cross into a new year, the Wraith has a feeling things will move quickly and they will be far less pleasant than they are now. Now is the time. Flashing them a fanged smile, the blonde woman jerks her head towards the closest path to the Outskirts and assumes they’ll fall in step as they navigate the settlement.

“Okay,” the Wraith says once they clear most of the people. “How about you ask me a question and then I ask you a question. Can be about anything. Doesn’t have to be Ascended or the Grounds or anything ‘important’” And yes, she makes the air quotes around the word, “if you don’t want it to be.” Shooting him a glance to see if he agrees to this light-hearted games, Wessex waits for either a different suggestion or the first question to come her way, her feet preternaturally light upon the path.
WESSEX
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Azrael

I’m growing up pretty fast.” They agree, a fanged smile resting easily on their face as they follow Wessex’s direction, toward the Outskirts, excitement vibrating through their limbs despite nothing else to be felt. And once they’ve cleared a good amount of those roaming around the Grounds, their gaze pulls away from the path ahead that they take, looking back to their Aunt Wessex and the boon that’s offered.

Really, there’s only been one thing on their mind despite the venture today. Their fingers curl together in thought, teeth pulling at their lower lip as they consider where to even start. This was different than how they had planned this conversation to go, but… Might as well give it a go while they’re alone together, right? The boldness from their father leaks through as they look back up to Wessex. “Okay. Well… Papa took me to the Ruins and I was thinking…” They don’t need air, so they don’t pause to take in a breath, simply stalling momentarily while they walk. “Do you think maybe I could try and fix it? Make it look nice for people to come and stay in?” It’s perhaps not the questions the Wraith expects, but they’ve been so excited at the possibility of doing it.

I started making little structures of what I think it could look like and it would be really nice. Really pretty too. I think you’d like it.” They add in, a bit rushed, as if their original plan of having this conversation had become thoroughly thwarted and they’d forgotten part of what they wanted to say. Their fingers tap together as if they need something to tinker with as their wide gaze lingers on Wessex’s face, hopeful and bright.
mind over matter
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
The question isn’t at all what Wessex expects, but after a moment of consideration she comes to believe that that’s a good thing. The child of Bastien and Rex would obviously think this way, would undoubtedly have some kind of plan and desires on how to move their home forward. She grins and laughs, saying her thoughts aloud. “Gods above, that isn’t at all what I expected you to ask, but I love that it isn’t.” Smiling, she begins to think seriously about his question, still leading them through the Woods by instinct and memory.

“I don’t see why not,” the Wraith says in contemplation, visualizing what the Ruins look like now. “It would have to wait for a bit, of course, after we finish the protections and get through Deepfrost and LongNight first…” Because of course, they must have their priorities straight.

“They only went to ruin because our numbers dwindled over the centuries,” the Wraith continues, “And we had to move to farming to sustain ourselves. It was easier to live in the Outskirts than in town, and only the essential craftspeople were able to make a living without trade between regions.” Another pause, as she considers what she just said as well as the suggestion. “This sounds like it would be a big project and take a long time, though. Have you thought about how you’d do it?”
WESSEX
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

For a moment, the grin and laughter worries them, though they know they shouldn’t fear any reaction Wessex may have. But a part of them, despite growing up so quickly, almost wonders if it was a naïve thought, it has them worrying at their lip, their fingers tapping against one another with the absence of something to fiddle with in the moment.

Relief spreads through them quickly, however, as Wessex speaks, their dark gaze flitting back over toward Wessex with an easy stillness. “Yeah, after all of that.” They agree, a small halfsmile forming on their lips as they continue their walk toward the Outskirts. And as Wessex elaborates as to why they had become the Ruins, Azrael understands, little tidbits of history filtering into their mind to be looked upon later as a whole.

I thought… Maybe I could ask the family to help.” They say, turning their head toward the path they take. “Papa said it would be a lot of work too. But I think… Well, I don’t know a lot of the family very well, but I think there’s enough of us that might be willing to help put it together. Start small, one at a time! And then… Then more! But first the one.” They say, head snapping toward Wessex with a bright fanged grin, their excitement nearly palpable in the air.
mind over matter
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“One at a time is a good plan, indeed,” the matriarch agrees with a satisfied smile, happy to hear that he wants to get their whole family involved. Regardless of the timing, regardless of the hell that might soon rain down on them from both Gods and demigods alike, she is happy to find a reason to keep on keepin’ on. That such innocence still exists - and perhaps, that Bastien has done a good job of raising them.

“And I think the family would love a change of pace.” A far less violent and dangerous option than their recent activities would probably be very welcome. “Have you thought about trying to meet more of them soon?” That’s probably more their father’s domain, to be honest, dictating what they can and cannot do. It’s one thing for Wessex to take Az out for an afternoon; it’s another for them to go to Torchline to meet Nate.

“If I asked your father and you to go to Halo for something, you might be able to meet Neron.” Halo, for all its other dangers, seems safer than other parts of the world right now.
WESSEX
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

They practically beam under Wessex’s agreement. It had been a shaky beginning, but they’d managed to accomplish the task they’d set out with, the one that had them trying to push the idea of fixing up the homes and hopefully bringing more people with it. As for a change of pace, it has Azrael nodding, their bright gaze flicking away from the trail they take back to Wessex. “Yes!” They chime once more, something quite Rexanna in the gesture.

Everyone’s been kind of busy and I’m not sure where to start but I’m sure papa would help.” They chatter a bit, the thoughts swirling in their mind over and over again. They hadn’t been out enough just yet to grow into that extroverted personality that their father was, but they’re sure it wouldn’t take long. Still, Wessex continues, Azrael’s eyes growing wide in a bit of surprise at the thought. “I’d like to meet Neron!” They chime with a bright smile. There. As good a start as any.
mind over matter
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Having a feeling that the increase in family busy-ness is due more or less to her making them help out, Wessex hums and agrees. They are busy little worker bees right now, even when they gather in one place, their duties take them elsewhere. “Mmmm, that’s what happens when you grow up. You get conscripted into doing things by me and the Voice and then you have your own things you want to do, too… and before you know it, you’re old like me.” See-sawing her head back and worth, the matriarch shrugs, half-joking about the pitfalls of adulthood.

They’re almost to what the Queen thinks might be a good spot, so she pauses and scans the area for some place to hide the orb - perhaps under a rock or buried at the base of a bush. “You could always ask the Voice to help, too. If this is a long term project, maybe there are some upgrades that could help?” There’s always an upgrade that can help. The sky’s the limit when it comes to their imagination. The combination of thinking a certain way and their Goddess's innovation is what makes them such a threat, Wessex has come to realize.

She gives them permission to dream big, to reach for the world. To make it their own.
WESSEX
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

That doesn’t sound so bad.” They say with a thoughtful look that crosses their face. And indeed, to them, doing things for the Voice were just… Assumed. She had made them, after all, and even though they were raised by their father and a mother that was gone too soon, the Voice was always the one they could count on if everything else failed, if something happened to their father. The Voice always remained.

But they bound along beside Wessex until they slow and pause, scanning the area and Azrael pretends to follow along even as they tap their fingers against the rest of them to peer into the spaces. “I have… One right now. I might get more helpful ones! I’m sure she’d like to help!” They chime, flashing a bright grin toward Wessex, their young mind drifting all over the place.

Their head suddenly whips toward one of the bushes, covered partially by a broken arch that they step toward, reaching out for Wessex’s hand to drag her toward it. “Can we put it there?” They ask, pointing to the space below.
mind over matter
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Realizing that her joke make have gone over their head, Wessex huhs in amusement and leaves it at that. No, it isn’t so bad in the long run, she thinks (but she is, obviously, quite biased). Their father would get her amusement.

“Oh, you do? What is it?” she asks with matching excitement, curious to see what kind of path they might be taking. Certainly not like hers, the Wraith thinks, for Azrael already seems far too gentle for her world, and Bastien would probably be pretty alarmed and saying something if they were violently inclined, and this conversation seems to lend itself towards helping… she feels oddly curious and protective about them and their path.

And surprised when they reach out to take her hand. Allowing herself to be led, Wessex laughs aloud and follows willingly. “It’s perfect,” she declares once she’s seen it, handing the orb over to them with a little flourish. “If you would do the honors?”
WESSEX
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

The question, the excitement from Wessex fills them with an unsurprising amount of glee. “I fix things!” They chime, flashing another fanged grin as they follow along the path. “I can show you.” It’s an addition to the prior conversation, already distracted by where they could place the orb. They reach out to grasp Wessex’s hand, pulling her along with them to the place, only releasing her hand when the Wraith hands them the orb.

Excitedly, they reach out and take the orb, lowering themself down so that they can place the orb perfectly within the space provided, ensuring that the bush covers part of it so that it still remains somewhat hidden, as if it had simply just appeared there.

But they turn back to Wessex with that same bubbling excitement. “Okay. Now I can show you.” They say with an equally wide grin, patting their pockets and finding nothing, looking around at the ground below until they find a sharp edged rock that they pick up. “Watch!” Dark eyes lift to Wessex to ensure the other demigod is watching, before their slicing the sharp edge of the rock along their arm, pulling apart skin and watching the fluid bubble up along the open wound.

Of course, being Ascended, it doesn’t hurt, and so they’re quite eager as they lift their bleeding arm up closer for Wessex to see, dropping the rock in their other hand and pressing their fingers to the edges of the wound. A spark of electricity appears from their fingers, knitting the wound back together as if it had never happened.

Much like Abandoned healing… Just… Ascended instead. A neat trick, wasn’t it?
mind over matter
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Once again offering her approval as Azrael hides the orb, Wessex is patient while they search for something and then again lets him know that is eagerly awaiting his reveal. It’s a little unexpected - after all, they’d said they fix things, not Ascended. So she’s a little alarmed to find them cutting themselves but bites her tongue instead of launching into overprotective Aunt mode.

It’s worth the wait. A smile spreads as sparks fly and they knit their skin back together. “You can heal!” she exclaims, pulling her own hand out to see if her ability is similar. “I can only heal myself - can you do more and heal other Ascended?” Taking the rock they dropped, she cuts her own palm and holds it out for them to work on again.
WESSEX
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

Yeah!” They chime, a bright grin flashing along their face as they focus up at their aunt, letting the excitement on her face reflect on their own tenfold. Still, they watch as Wessex goes to show them how her ability worked, their head tilting this way and that as they focus on it. “I’m not sure… I haven’t tried.” Their brows furrow together, head dropping to the palm extended out toward them, their dark curls bouncing with the motion.

So they try, reaching out with deft fingers made for building and creating, electricity flickering along their fingers again and slipping into Wessex’s wound, watching with a pleased, childish squeal of excitement as it knits itself back together as if it had never happened too. “It worked!” The bright grin shot back at Wessex is contagious, bouncing on their feet with excitement, needing to tell their father this new development.

They keep Wessex’s hand in theirs, dragging her back with them toward the Settlement and toward home.

- FIN <3
mind over matter