standing in the way of control
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE

The last thing, the absolute last thing Nate wants right now is to be away from home. Even if he’s still in Torchline, any distance feels like too much with what Sunjata is going through, more worry than he dares to let on gripping him tightly, wearing him down. Hell, he’d half considered asking Sunjata to come spend the day with him, after they’d walked down to the clinic together.

If it wasn’t for the fact that he owes Vai more than he feels like he could ever repay, Nate wouldn’t have bothered coming in, would have made some excuse and wriggled out of it. But it’s the witch’s day off, so here he is, admittedly hiding in the upstairs office.

Pemota drifts in the lobby, very nearly dozing, and still a better receptionist than Nate would be himself. Nothing gets past her, and her starlight fills the first floor with a gentle, calming aura. And it’s only because of her that he knows the door has opened, that a woman has walked in, greeted by a trill from the starwhal.

”I’m coming!” Nate sends the words down the stairs before he even rises, though he’s not far behind them, creaking stairs announcing his descent. ”What can I do for you, miss?” It’s the first thing out of his mouth when he finally steps into the waiting roo, the smile on his face warm, even if it doesn’t quite reach his eyes.
I am the problem
And you just sit there watching
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
and that the world is always our fault
when we did nothing, how did we do wrong?
It was an understatement to say that she didn't feel like herself.

Since Aurelia had come to Caido, she didn't feel right. Obviously, she was still her. She still had the same drive, same instincts (although those were beginning to change), same skills, same body. Only, that body had different limitations now. She fatigued faster, she wasn't able to lift as much or carry as far, and so on. Now that she'd been in Caido for a while and found no answers, found that it wasn't changing and that she wasn't getting back to normal, she decided it was time to get a doctor's opinion. Maybe something was wrong with her, maybe she was ill.

She had her suspicions, of course, of what could be the cause. Her knowledge of magic wasn't by any means expert-level but, she did know that certain magics dabbled in curses and blessings. At least, as far as she knew, if she'd been cursed in her old world, it was plausible that it carried over into this one.

A cure, however... that was something she didn't know much about. She had been trained and informed on the ways of magic so that she could use that knowledge to kill, to cut down, to snuff out - not to mend or cure or heal. Taking those skills and radjusting them to fit a better, higher purpose, to forget the lessons instilled in her mind, would prove to be its own challenge.

So she couldn't do this alone.

She grabbed the doorknob quietly, slowly opening it. "Hello?" Looking inside at the clinic, she stopped short when she saw the incredibly strange creature drifting in the front lobby. Instinctually, Aurelia wanted to back out and walk away asking herself 'what the fuck was that thing?' but, it had an incredibly caming aura. Its presence was soothing. So, she slipped through the door fully, awkwardly staring at the starwhale in a mixture of uncertainty and curiosity, not sure how she felt about it. She had little time to dwell or try to make friends when she heard someone call from the upper floor.

The man that descended down the stairs, she recognized him. Immediately she knew who he was. Because Sunjata had told her about him, with a grin and a fondness that made her already appreciate him - even though she didn't know him personally. Not only that but, she had seen him give a doll to Ludo on that particular Ludo-night, a paper doll crafted and handled with care. She remembered that he'd gone to stand beside Sunjata, who was also there, and she wished she had been so bold as to go introduce herself then.

What a strange event it had been but, somehow, participating made her feel closer to the community in Torchline.

Upon being so up close to him, though, she took notice of the scarring across his face. The slash across his nose and the burns along his face told her he must have been through a lot...

With a soft smile, she walked forward to meet him and said, "You're Nate!" She extended her hand out to shake his with a flush of enthusiasm, "My name's Aurelia." Realizing he may not know how she knew of him, she explained, "I met your husband when I first arrived in Caido. He explained... a lot to me. I'm an Outlander, so it was a big adjustment, but he was very helpful - and he told me about you, as well. I've been meaning to come and introduce myself. I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner."
and I've been thinking that when we thought
the world would break us, that we weren't wrong
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE

Truth be told a perfectly healthy woman is not what Nate expects to find in his lobby, no matter the mental picture Pemota had supplied him. There’s no recognition, the woman a virtual stranger, but still, something about her seems familiar. The starwhal drifts towards her bonded, circling his shoulders and leaning into the hand that lifts to stroke along her side.

Surprise touches his features as he's introduced to himself, some part of Nate unable to stop himself from looking down, patting at his chest before returning his gaze to her. "Pretty sure that's right." It's not exactly rare that people know who he is without him knowing them, but it is very rarely a good thing. Not that that's enough to stop him from shaking her hand, a curl of a grin settled on his face. The imbalance is corrected in her next breath, the name she gives bringing with it a soft gasp of recognition, and a more wicked slant of the grin. "You're filling big shoes." He murmurs, managing to get the words in before she launches into her explanation.

"No need to apologize, Torchline isn't big enough that we'd miss each other forever." And Nate wasn't so big-headed that he expected his introduction to be an event. "It's good to get to meet you now. Sunjata actually told me a little bit about you." This is said with a somewhat enigmatic smile, Nate leaving it completely up to Aurelia to figure out if he'd been told good or bad.

”Can I get you a drink or anything? Or...” Nate gestures around the clinic, Pemota moving around his sweeping arm, well used to his gesturing by now. ”Are you here for business?” Theres an edge of laughter in the words, because they’re mostly a joke. As far as he can tell by looking, Aurelia is fine, healthy as can be. His baseline may be different than hers though, so he curbs any actual chuckles, wanting her to feel comfortable enough to speak up if there is something he can help with.
I am the problem
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
She'd give his hand a firm shake before letting go. The recognition that flashed over his features surprised her, made her brows raise. Her eyes glanced over to the small whale floating around beside him, shoulders easing as she let down her guard about it. This was another one of those companions. For someone filling big shoes, it was a little funny that a creature like that could've scared her at first.

Aurelia's gaze returned to Nate's quickly, though, and she nodded in agreeance. Eventually, they would've run into each other. Especially if she was friends with his husband. So, no, there had been no doubt in her mind she would meet Nate eventually.

She smiled slightly at the fact that Sunjata had actually told him about her. "Good things, I hope?" Humorously, she wondered for a split second if he'd told Nate about the fact that she'd beat him in a spar. Or that he'd absolutely scared the shit out of her when he shifted in front of her. It was the first time she'd seen anyone do that, so.. it had come as a bit of a shock.

Aurelia hesitated as Nate asked her if she was there for business, that light expression of hers changing into something else; something more conflicted. She looked down. "Truthfully, I didn't just come here to meet you. Even though I wanted to, there's also something I need to ask for your help with," she raised her eyes back up to his face, "Something happened to me right before I ended up in Caido but, it's kind of a long story..." she averted her gaze to glance around the clinic, actually taking a look at it then. Once again, she hesitantly brought her attention back to Nate, "In simple terms, I don't feel like myself. Like, I'm weaker than normal. I get fatigued too fast, as if all my strength has been zapped. It's very frustrating..."

"I hope I'm wrong and it's just because I'm in a different world, and I have to get used to it - or whatever. But, because of what happened to me before, I think I might've been cursed."
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

For a moment, Nate hesitates, his eyes flicking into the distance as if he’s weighing the good versus the bad, his brows and the scar running between them creasing as he leans one way or the other. Finally, he focuses on Aurelia again, a sly grin crossing his face. ”Nothing but the best from him. A glowing recommendation.” As if he’s reading her mind, his head cocks, grin growing just a touch more crooked. ”Takes a special kind of kick his ass.” It wasn’t the only thing that he’d been told, wasn’t the thing that most warmed him towards her, but it was the one that stuck out in his mind, of only because of how Sunjata had all but pouted when recounting the spar.

Seriousness grips his features again as Aurelia reveals she isn’t here just for him, that there is business to attend to. At once he is attentive, leaning in and letting his eyes look her over more critically, searching for anything obvious that would require his particular attention. His mouth opens to ask what kind of something? when she pauses and breaks her gaze away from him again. Nate holds his tongue, wanting to offer the space she needs to start speaking again, to explain a touch more concisely.

”I do remember a certain amount of... unsteadiness, when I first arrived here.” Obviously, Nate doesn’t say that he knew the cause of that particular ailment, the hangover not at all helped by the next three days of drinking, back when he could still experience such things. ”But it faded quick, after some sleep and a meal, if it’s persisting...” A hand comes up to stroke his chin, before Nate is gesturing towards the stairs. ”I can take a look, if you want. Cursed aren’t exactly my specialty, but I can rule almost anything else out.” Up the stairs, there is an examination room waiting, a padded table that Nate pats, before he shrugs a white coat on. Looking the part is important, after all.
I am the problem
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia could not help but to match his grin but, she shrugged. It was a combination of both skill and luck, and Aurelia would be the last to underestimate Sunjata. For a moment, though, she wondered what all Nate knew about her. If he knew that much, then maybe he knew more - maybe he knew about her story, where she'd come from, what she used to do. For a moment, it made her hesitate all the more. She knew what Sunjata thought of her past but, did Nate share that understanding nature? If he did, why? What sorts of things had he had to do in his past to help him better understand such actions?

She could only trust him, though, because she needed his help. Questions like that could, perhaps, come later.

As he shared his experiences, revealing his own Outlander origins, Aurelia followed him up the stairs and felt a bit of relief. He knew what it was like. Maybe it really was just a matter of time and getting used to this new world.

For a few seconds, she lingered in the doorway to the examination room, glancing around at everything inside. Hesitantly, she sat on the exam table and looked over at Nate, dressed in his white coat.

"I appreciate you helping me," she said, voice grim and quiet, "I don't know if Sunjata told you but, I was a bounty hunter... of people who illegally practiced magic..." she'd pause and let Nate decide for himself what that must've entailed, "I was fighting one of them when it happened. He opened up a portal and, at first, I was nowhere. Just... floating. And then suddenly I was here."

"but before that happened, he used a different kind of magic on me. Something that didn't leave any physical marks but... fuck, it hurt. And now I have this... feeling that something's wrong, something's different," she sighed, shaking her head at the memory of it. The paralyizing spell he'd cast made her bones stiffen and her blood freeze. Some part of that spell had lasted through the portals out of her world and into Caido, something that festered and weakened. And she wanted to launch herself through that stupid fucking barrier, only she couldn't fight her way out of this one. So here she was, getting a second opinion.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Not everyone is comfortable with medicine, something Nate is more than aware of, so he doesn't push Aurelia to hurry into the room, onto the table. Doesn't bring any attention to it at all, instead busying himself around the room, so she could make her way inside without judgement, if she were worried about such a thing. It took only a moment for her to follow after him though, sitting up on the table.

"Helping is what I'm here to do." The words roll off Nate's tongue automatically, though he bites it when Aurelia continues, his head tipping to the side. Sunjata hadn't told him everything, and this was new knowledge, the information filed away behind an unchanging face. He nods though, indicating his understanding before his brows pull together. "Is that a thing that happened often? Portals into other places?" He doesn't mean to interrupt, but he can't stop himself from interjecting.

The rest of her encounter is explained, Nate's confidence slipping away by the second. Magic is not his strong suit, curses even less so, but he had to try, at least. "Other than feeling wrong and different, is anything changed? Any... aches, or marks anywhere?" Already, Nate felt a touch useless. Without anything physical, it was almost impossible to tell if anything had truly changed. He did have his ace, but that was something he wanted to avoid for as long as possible, something he wanted to save for last. Instead, he goes through the motions, taking note of Aurelia's heartbeat, her breathing, searching for anything that seems out of sorts.

Nate is as quick and unobtrusive as he can be, not wanting to make this experience any more uncomfortable than it needs to be. Especially as that need begins to grow the further along he goes without finding anything wrong. After a thorough examination, Nate steps back, the grin on his face a touch awkward. "As far as I can tell, you're perfectly healthy. I do have one more test I can try, but... it's a bit intrusive."
I am the problem
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia tried, for a moment, to determine what kind of emotion her previous profession might invoke in Nate. But, he seemed unperturbed. At least, she hoped that was the case. At his question, her expression faltered as she tried to recall such magics and think of how to put it.

"Well, not from my experience, but it could've. The way magic worked in my world was different than here. Anyone was capable of using it, you need only know the incantations or... what-have-you. It's called a spell. But when the use of magic was outlawed, many of the spellbooks and libraries were burnt and those who supported the use of magic were killed..." She brought a hand up to scratch the back of her neck, recalling the history she had learned. Of course, none of these events had occurred in her lifetime - she only grew up in a world where magic was illegal. She hadn't known it before that. "I believe a spell that powerful, powerful enough to take me out of my own world... must have been a very well-kept secret. I didn't know a spell like that existed beforehand, or maybe I wouldn't have-"

Her eyes blinked as if coming out of a daze, realizing she'd gone on a bit of a tangent and all of her knowledge about magic was rudimentary now. For such a simple question, she had complicated the answer quite a bit. She shook her head and let out a breath through her nose, letting her words trail off. "Long story short, no... we didn't use portals to get around. That would have been against the law." She bit the side of her lip, understanding that Caido was a vastly different place and portals were used like doors.

At his questions about her health, her dark eyebrows pressed together and she shook her head again. She had no answers, and was just as confused as Nate when he was done with his examination. As far as marks went, yes, she had plenty. But they were scars, not injuries, and she knew where each and every one of them had come from. None were unaccounted for. They skimmed across her skin like patchwork, telling plenty of stories.

She had reached the same conclusions; nothing, outwardly, was amiss. It was baffling, and she could only draw conclusions based on what had changed since this feeling began. There were only two plausible causes; some form of a curse had carried over into Caido, or it was Caido itself.

Aurelia's brows remained knitted together as he indicated there was one last test he could do. She remained silent for a moment, not sure what that could possibly be. However, she was willing to try. If for nothing else, to say that she'd taken all possible measures to figure things out.

"I have to be sure, so..." she gave a curt nod, "go ahead and do it." And whatever he needed to do next, she would be compliant.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

"Huh. That's... there wasn't any magic where I came from." A rough chuckle leaves him, Nate's shoulders rolling in a shrug. "It was weird to learn about it here, and it's even weirder that it's different in other places but..." It was neither here nor there, really, and as much as Nate knew that, he wanted to ask more, wanted to sink deep into her story. Another time, perhaps, when they're not shadowed by potential curses or sickened bodies. Over a drink. Gods know they'll need one after this.

There's a shift in Aurelia's tone that has Nate's jaw working, sympathy leaking out the edges of his grin. "There's no point in regretting what happened now. It's behind you, right?" Nate has never been one for pep talks, never had optimism come to him naturally, but he knows about the kinds of things that can send someone spinning into tragedy, into drink or drugs or worse to numb it. Not that he necessarily thinks Aurelia is the type, even from their brief meeting thus far, from the little Sunjata has shared about the woman. A word of support never hurt though, did it?

No portals, which made the situation even more strange. Even more unusual. Especially since he finds nothing, no clue for the symptoms that have been reported, and he has to sink to his ace in the hole. Perhaps one day he'll get better at preparing people for it, but kind of intrusive is at least an upgrade from his might be weird that had come up earlier.

Nate waits just a moment after her nod, staring at Aurelia like he's trying to size up her resolve, like he's wondering if this permission is going to last. "Alright. Take a deep breath." And while she does, the ascended takes her wrist and lifts it up to his lips, his eyes closing as fangs sink in. With the number of times he's done this, he's gotten good at biting away (ha) his reaction to it, good at taking only as much as he needs to get a good reading before pulling back, trying to ignore the shivers of sensation and pleasure racing down his spine.

If nothing else, he's lucky that it fades from him almost immediately now that he's drawn back. Nate's hand is still up, still out, offering support if Aurelia needs it while his bi-toned eyes open again, waiting to see how his momentary patient is feeling before loading her up with more information.
I am the problem
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia tilted her head up at the unexpected gesture of kindness in his words. Unexpected only because she hadn't been looking for it. She was doing her best to embrace this new world, new experiences, and - consequently - her new life. Admittedly, though, she would always harbor regret. Regret for not knowing better, not being more careful, not listening to her friend... She nodded, agreeing but, not quite feeling the sentiments she yearned to have, just for that moment.

Sucking in a long breath, she waited for Nate's next instructions, thinking this similar to the other physical exams. But then he was grabbing her wrist and sinking inhuman fangs into her skin. Aurelia's eyes widened and, at first, she could only lurch forward with the pain of the bite. Then... then it subsided into feelings of pleasure. It made her stomach tighten and her fingers curl, and that breath she held was released in a sigh.

Before she could even think or stop herself, her clenched fist went flying for Nate's face as he broke away from her skin. Her fist practically bounced off, though, and she grabbed it. Felt as if she'd punched a wall, or something close to it.

"Oh, shit!" She gasped, eyes widening again, "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! Ow, fuck!" she winced and rolled her wrist to try to shake the pain away.

"I- I never? That's never happened to me before. Did you just? Drink my blood?" She wasn't angry, no, moreso.. amazed that happened at all. And in all seriousness, she wasn't ignorant about the Ascended. Not in the basics, anyway, but, damn, it was strange to see for the first time - especially when it was you being bitten. And if she felt a bit lightheaded, that may have a bit to do with it.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Really, a punch in the face is the least he expects, despite previous reactions. Last time he'd done this, he'd nearly slept with his patient, and the time before he had.

It's not like it hurts though, not like it does much more than surprise him, and make him step back, a hand coming up automatically, though there's no blood to catch, just a slow trickle of fluid from his nose that stops almost as quickly as it had started. "It's fine, it's good." He says quickly, his other hand coming up in a placation, and a weak defence in case she decides she wants to throw another fist out.

"It's my fault. I need to learn to explain that better." Nate steps closer again, reaching out to take Aurelia's wrist once more, though this time he reaches into a pocket and pulls out a small metal device, shaped like a 'U' with room enough in the middle for two fingers, and a small ball on either end. He presses it against the bite mark, and it fades away to nothing more than clear skin, no evidence left that he'd done anything at all. And while his hands move, he speaks, explaining himself.  

"It's an upgrade, something like a blood test, with the least convenient administration possible." A chuckle leaves him, the little metal device slipped back into his pocket. "If there's anything wrong with you, I'll know, and..." He tilts his head, the grin slipping into something apologetic. "Well, there's something. You're not hurt, or... like I said, curses aren't my specialty, but I don't know what else I'd call this either." There was something else though, something that has his face falling even further, twisting into something downright uncomfortable. "There's... something else, too."

The steps back are so casual it barely seems like he's moving, until suddenly he's leant against the wall opposite the examination table, his head cocked. "Did you know you've got magic?"
I am the problem
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
She mumbles another apology, muttering something about impulsive instinct, lowering her gaze to the bleeding bite along her arm. She flexed the fingers of that hand thoughtfully, and it wasn't until Nate approached with a device of some sort that she looked up. She pulled her arm from him, tucking the wound away, "No-" she shook her head, "if you have bandages, that'll do just fine."

Her scars told her story. She may not think them to be a pretty sight, but she'd rather not be so quick to forget lessons she's learnt.

Her gaze searched his face for answers. After all, he said that it was some sort of test. His explanation of it was strange. But, she supposed that was one of the perks of being... Ascended. 'Upgrades', as he called it. Only, in this case, it seemed as if he did not discover any good news. His grin disappeared into something more apologetic.

She clamped her jaws shut as he went on to diagnose her. The emotion on her face fell from interest to thinly-veiled disappointment. "I hate being right," she muttered sourly, looking down. "but if it doesn't seem concerning to you, I guess I'll just have to regain my strength." Which came as a disappointment because she had worked very hard to get where she was before. Now she had to do it all over again, on top of starting up this new life.

Aurelia didn't notice his expression take a deeper dive, though, as she was busy thinking about herself and what this news meant. Well, the solution is simple, I guess. Damn. That's annoying, she thought.

It was only the next delivery of bad news that Aurelia's attentions snapped back up at Nate, her mouth tensing. What? At first, she was frozen by this information, didn't know what to do with it or how to react. It went against everything she knew, everything she was. "You mean... I'm not Accepted?" and she certainly wasn't an Attuned, didn't have some hidden animal waiting to shift. Her gaze and her tone darkened, "I can't be an Abandoned. That doesn't make any sense."

Oh, but it kind of did, said a small, a tiny voice in the back of her mind. She came from a world where the laws of magic were different, and anyone was able to use it. Technically, everyone in that world 'had magic'. They just had to choose whether or not they'd use it. Now, she was in Caido, where magic worked differently. Perhaps this was the way it carried over.

Aurelia rubbed the space along her temple and let out a dark chuckle, "It's just my luck to be cursed twice."
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Alright then, bandages it is. Nate can respect that. The little device is pocketed, replaced by a roll of bandages when his hand appears again. There’s a silent, momentary pause before he starts to wrap it up, though he’s plenty sure Aurelia could handle it herself, if she were so inclined.

Nate wishes there were something more he could offer, instead of empty explanations and shrugs. Wishes there were medicine, or some exercise, or anything he could suggest, apart from going through the work to build herself up again. He can’t imagine it. Not really.

They come to the same conclusion at least, Nate nodding along with her words. ”I can probably recommend some exercise and diet things to help it go along faster, but I’m sure you know what works best for you by now.” Despite the bad news he’s been burdened with sharing, Nate tries to keep his voice light, the attempt far too late for his face. ”And if you ever need a partner to spar with that isn’t Sunjata, I can step up.”

It’s only the beginning of his bad news though, the faux jovial tone wavering near the end, as he tries to choose his words as delicately as possible. Knowing the little he does of Aurelia’s home, he wants to be tactful, though nothing seems as effective as coming right out and ripping the band aid off. So he does, falling quiet to let her process it, whatever way she needs, though he has stepped out of punching distance this time.

Unblinking eyes watch Aurelia, crinkled with sympathy as deep as the frown on Nate’s face. ”It doesn’t always make sense.” He offers softly, though deep down it feels like a lie. ”Sometimes it’s just shitty luck.” The corners of his lips flick upwards again, the ghost of a ghost of a grin gracing his face. ”It doesn’t have to be like a curse. Magic isn’t the same here, it’s not...” That thought ends abruptly, Nate not sure how to tie it off before he steps into his next one. ”Maybe think of it as a chance to expand your repertoire?”

This is a disaster. He’s had to deliver bad news before, and he’s received more than his fair share, but this is a tricky situation, one unlike anything he’s had to deal with before. There is, however, one surefire balm that he knows of, something that would always cheer him up, that he would never turn down. ”Do you want a drink? I’ve got a bottle of something decent floating around.”
I am the problem
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia let him bandage the bloody bite. It throbbed, she could really feel it then as the final hints of whatever spell the bite had cast on her dissipated into frustration, regret. Not at Nate, of course - none of this was his fault. So her gaze swerved away from him as he wrapped her arm, only coming back when he offered himself up for sparring. One side of her lips turned up, her words genuine but her tone half-hearted, "Might take you up on that sometime."

Nate tried to soften the blow, tried to give words of wisdom and perspective. Distantly, Aurelia appreciated it, appreciated that he was trying, at least. More than she could say for the sort of people she used to know. She found that to be true about a lot of the people she'd met in Caido. At the word 'repertoire', she chuckled again, a bitter and sad and denying response.

"Maybe..." She ran her fingers through locks of hair that had fallen into her face.

The invitation of having a drink made her chin lift up and an empty smile form on her lips. Even if the smile didn't reach through to the rest of her expression, she was meaning to try not to lose it. Not entirely, at least. "That would be great..." She stands up, finally getting off of the exam table with a hefty sigh. Blinking up at Nate, she gestured for him to lead the way... anywhere else - anywhere else would be fine. She certainly didn't expect to drink in an exam room, nor did she want to stay in it for much longer than she had to.

"Could you tell what... sort of magic I have?"