A business proposal
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

A panther in the night, a fire burning bright.

Ray made her way into The Hanged Man, the dim lights a welcome sight for the tired attuned. She chose an empty seat at the bar and sat back comfortably. It had been awhile since she'd been in. Not since her Father's death a handful of years ago. Now that Ray had taken over and grown accustomed to running her old man's information network, she figured it was high time she stop in. Ray remembered how her father had mentioned Raza and her vast connections. Ray wanted those connections. At the very least she wanted them on her side and not those of her competitors or enemies. She ordered a drink and then asked the barkeep to let Raza know that she wanted to talk business, if Raza was willing. If Raza did not show or turned down Ray's proposal, Ray would let her be. She wasn't the kind to try and force or blackmail people to her side. No, Ray wanted trust, respect, and loyalty from those in her organization, or those with whom she worked. Ray sipped her drink as she waited patiently to see if Raza would show.

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
Raza
Raza shows; she always shows when there’s a potential bit of business to be done. The bar owner, however, isn’t in much a rush and allows Ray to sit there (with a drink, of course, should she want one) for a little bit. Just because she can, and because Hoa has an eye on her from above.

When it seems like she’s made Ray wait long enough, Raza saunters out from the back, not even pretending to have been workin’ hard, though, yes, she she does glisten a little. The Hanged Man’s modifications have made it more secure, but also a bit warmer in the back (fuck, Longheat is gonna be hellish). “You’re paint a better picture at my bar than yer Pa did,” the older woman says with a cheeky grin, casually eyeing her up and down. While there aren’t many folks in the bar, she doesn’t necessarily want their conversation to be for all ears, so she grabs a glass, pours something dark into it, and then comes closer, under the pretense of chipping off some ice.

“Mik said business. Bar business or other business?” She has a hunch, but wouldn’t presume. Some folks ain’t like their parents.
reppin' a district of obvious misfits
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Ray chuckled with easy humor. "I should hope so. Dad was a scruffy thing, far too skinny too." She took a sip of her drink, a small smile on her face. "As for business, a bit of both actually. I'm attempting to find a way to put medicine in alcohol without the alcohol negating the affects or turning it into poison. An endeavor which may very well fail but which would still require a hefty amount of alcohol for experimentation. I was hoping to either get the name of  a merchant you recommend for high quality alcohol, of if not, make a deal to just buy it from you." Ray had found that a certain concoction of herbs seemed to stabilize each other and prevent the breakdown of their medicinal properties. If she could apply it to a base of alcohol it might be easier to get more stubborn patients to actually take their damn medicine.

Ray took another sip of her drink before continuing. "I do also had another business proposal for you, outside of bar business. That one might be best discussed in private if you're willing." Ray offered with a small grin. She hoped that Raza would give her the time.

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Raza
Listening carefully, Raza nods and gestures to Mik to let him know she’s going to take Ray somewhere a bit more private. Stepping around the side of the bar, she indicates that the girl should follow and tackles the herbal part of the conversation first. “Well. Alcohol is a preservative in some ways, and I’ve heard of folks cookin’ with some an’ then the alcohol burns off and it just leaves a taste, but that seems like it wouldn’t work. Might just be that you need to get something with a low enough alcohol content to be a preservative, but not enough to affect someone.” She makes it to her desk and falls silent, thoughtful.

“I ain’t sure what that is - beer might be the lowest I know, but it goes bad. Same with wine. I could supply you with various stuff, but goin’ straight to the supplier might be best.” But these things don’t come without a price, now do they? “For a favor owed, of course, you can use me as a reference.”

First this, then the matter of the other part.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray hummed, her mind already considering the possibilities. "That might just work. Perhaps a custom brew with a low enough content?" She then smirked at Raza and chuckled lightly. "Of course. Though before I agree to anything, or dig my own grave, what kind of favor? Or if you don't have a specific one in mind, what kinds of favors would you consider of equal value for your help?" Owing favors could certainly be a dangerous thing to find oneself in and Ray didn't plan to make a habit of it. But Raza's help could be what dictated her success. She'd have to be careful of what she agreed to regardless.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Raza
Raza chuckles, a throaty, appraising sound accompanied by an easy grin. “Good question,” she replies. A smart question. Some just said yes and regretted it later when their number came up, but otherwise, the trading of favors is well known and established. A different, comparable kind of currency. “I’d expect as much from Felix’s kid.” Turning away to grab a scrap of paper and a pencil, Raza scratches a name and a few directions to a distiller and then folds it up.

“Don’t worry, this isn’t the big leagues yet. Information, an item, an whispered something to someone at the right time. Nothing to put you or yours in danger.” Holding the paper aloft, Raza will wait to extend it to Ray if she agrees to the vague, but outlined parameters of what kind of favor she might be looking for.

“Your other business, however - that might be the big leagues.” With a smooth gesture for the girl to continue, the bar owner waits to see what she might be presented with.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray returned the chuckle and after an appraising second, took the paper from Raza and placed it in her pocket. "Seems fair enough, thank you Keep me posted." She agreed. If the favors were as Raza described, Ray shouldn't have any trouble fulfilling them. At least she hoped not .

Ray paused, getting ready to present the more delicate proposal. "I have a feeling my other proposal falls into the big leagues. I know my father tried on numerous occasions to get you to agree to join his network. Often getting himself into quite the trouble." She began, stifling a laugh as she remembered the numerus times her father came home both baffled and frustrated. "Now I won't deny that I want that as well. But you've made it clear you work for no one but yourself. So I was hoping instead that we might make a deal. I pass on anything I feel would be of interest to you, and you would do the same in kind. Hopefully a win-win situation, as long as we have an understanding not to lie, omit, or twist the truth"

Ray placed her chin on her folded hands. "What do you think? Do you have any interest in that?"Ray had spent quite a bit of time debating how to approach Raza, how to access her information, and how to remain in her good graces. And an agreement such as this was what she figured had the best chance of succeeding.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Raza
Ray’s understandin’ of Raza’s loyalties might be a little off, but she wasn’t about to correct her. Raza works for herself and Jack. Sure, she comes first in the same way that Jack comes first for himself, but they’re roughly second (or third) place. Still, she listens with obvious attentiveness, sitting back in her chair and gnawing thoughtfully on the end of a pencil. The poor pencil’s seen better days.

“Interesting,” Raza says finally, taking the pencil out of her mouth and crossing her arms across her chest. “I could be game, but it depends on what kind of information ya got. It’s only win-win if we’re trading on the same level, an’ I can only speak for myself, but info ebbs ‘n flows.” Pausing to look up at the ceiling and run through her mental inventory, the proprietress nods once, decisively. “Yeah, bring me a couple’a good things an’ we can talk about makin' it more official.”
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray grinned, pleased that her idea hadn't been shot down immediately. "Glad you're open to the idea. And of course, equal exchange would be the only way this would work." Ray took a sip of her drink before she continued. "I can certainly bring you something that might be of use and hopefully finalize this. If you decide against the idea given what information I present later, I still hope to get something of  equal worth back afterwards." She added, not willing to be taken advantage of in any way.

"Regardless, I should be going. Thank you for taking the time to talk with me as well as for the name." She gave a quick pat to her pocket where the slip of paper was. She downed her drink and stood up from the stool. "Have a good day, and I'll have something that's hopefully of interest to you soon." Ray gave a lazy wave on her way out, hopeful that this deal would go through.

{FINISHED}

r a y

—Albert Camus