life sucks, let's dance
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
and that the world is always our fault
when we did nothing, how did we do wrong?
The sounds of her kicking and pounding could be heard throughout the Slagveld. No one else had shown up to face her in the ring, not even Sunjata. If a pin dropped, you could hear it, the place was so damn empty. Something about that bothered her. He was probably busy, dealing with more serious business, so she shrugged it off and buried her wrapped knuckles in the punching bag once more.

She wore a protective bra and loose pants that gave her an increase in mobility. Her hands and feet were bare except for the typical white tape everyone used. Her hair, though tied back, was long and it still furled around her shoulders. Sweat was beginning to glisten on her scarred, tanned skin.

When she heard the sound of the door opening and footsteps approaching, she hiked her leg up in one last kick against the punching bag. Then, she'd lean forward to catch it and her breath.

Ray
and I've been thinking that when we thought
the world would break us, that we weren't wrong
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

A panther in the night, a fire burning bright.

Ray walked in wearing her usual training garb, her wraps already on, and a towel around her neck. She raised an eyebrow when she noted that she wasn't alone. "Good evening! Seems like I'm not the only one who figured now would be a good time to train." She said warmly, setting herself up at another punching bag and doing a final adjustment on her wraps. "I'm Ray by the way, nice to meet you." She introduced herself, figuring it was a decent idea since she planned to train for a bit and her companion seemed nowhere near complete with her own training.  Ray promptly began her warm up punches, jabs, and kicks, getting her muscles ready for the real workout to come. That's not to say she wasn't hitting the bag with intensity. She certainly was, just not as hard as she could.

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia perked up at the arrival of the other woman. She had dark hair and a bright, very blue gaze that was a stark contrast to the muted colors of the Slagveld. Aurelia simply watched as she was greeted, too winded to say anything. Instead, she gave a curt nod of her head and wave of her hand. "Aurelia," was all she could offer in that moment.

Once her breath was caught, she grabbed a towel she'd set nearby and used it to wipe off her sweat. Setting it back down, by the time she turned back to the training area, Ray was already after one of the other punching bags. Crossing her arms over her chest, Aurelia loitered nearby, observing. She'd tilt her head a few times at the girl's unique form, the way she struck with controlled force.

Stepping forward, Aurelia peered at Ray curiously. "You have good form," she commented, meaning it as she eyed her stance, "Who taught you how to fight?"
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Ray paused as Aurelia spoke up. She took a swig of water and wiped off her brow. "Thank you. My father taught me. He grew up in the rougher parts of Torchline and made it clear that as his daughter I better know how to throw a punch." Ray explained with a snicker. "I only caught a glimpse but you seem like an accomplished fighter. Who taught you?" She inquired. As Ray had been getting warmed up she had glanced at Aurelia and seen the power and precision with which she struck. Aurelia was clearly no stranger to combat and it made Ray curious. Curious about where'd she'd learned but also how Ray might fare against her in a fight.

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia's serious, intrigued expression was quickly broken by an easy smile at Ray's appreciation for her notice. Aurelia nodded; it was an acceptable answer. Of course, her father hadn't taught her much about how to fight. But, the man who had was something of a father figure to her. With a twinge of pain, she realized she missed him. Her smile faded with that far-off look pooling in her green eyes, wondering what had happened to her partner in all of this time.

But then Ray returned the question and Aurelia perked up, bringing herself back.

"An old friend," she rubbed her hand against her neck, smoothing out the tense muscle there, "I've always been a fighter, though. In my world, if you weren't... well.." she shrugged with a brief raise of her brows, gesturing towards the murderous scars that littered her bronzed skin. Each told a different tale, particularly the large bite mark on one of her hips, half-exposed, clearly inflicted by a predator of some sort. Or maybe the slash winding down her right shoulder. She'd let such 'trophies' be explanation enough.

"Do you spar very much, Ray?" The question was pointed, and she began to make her way towards one of the rings. Turning back slightly, she looked over her shoulder with a mischievous smirk.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray noticed the brief moment of  melancholy but decided against asking. It was likely too personal to ask a near stranger. She nodded understandingly towards  Aurelia's scars. "I can tell. An accomplished fighter I'd guess. After all, you're still alive." Ray said, respect clear in her voice. Scars could hold memories and tell far more about a person then most realize. The severity and number of scars on  Aurelia  and the fact that she was still standing told Ray all she needed to know about her companion's skill.

Ray perked up at the idea of a spar, a mischievous grin spreading across her face as she followed Aurelia. "Oh? I do when I have the time. Things have been hectic preparing for Deepfrost so I worry I'm a bit rusty. Perhaps you'd like to help me remedy that?" She asked as  a playful challenge.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
"You could say that..." Aurelia let out a scoff, though more directed at the fact that anyone would call her accomplished. A fighter? Yes, absolutely; one of the worst sorts. Regardless of the reasons behind her actions, any glory Aurelia had once felt for that part of her life was consumed by a greater sense of guilt now. She was proud she'd made it through all the odds stacked against her, sure. However, she was ashamed of the price she had so willingly, thoughtlessly paid in the name of survival.

But the conversation swept on, and Aurelia would prefer it that way. It's a fucked up world, blah blah blah.

At Ray's acceptance of the challenge, Aurelia's smirk became a smile. "Perhaps I can," she spoke with assurance and directed them into a ring. She entered first, weaving underneath the rope that bordered it. Readily, she took up a stance on the opposite side, facing Ray. "No cheap shots, and..." she eyed the other girl up and down, trying to decipher whether she had any special abilities or not, "no magic. Agreed?"

Her hands lifted up, balling into fists, her feet poised but firm in stance, expression stiffening into concentration. "Let's see what you got."
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray chuckled and followed Aurelia in. "Agreed. No cheap shots and I doubt this place could handle anything more than a physical match anyway." She accepted her companion's terms with ease, they were exactly what she herself was going to propose anyway. Once she got into the ring, Ray gave one last adjustment to her wraps and rolled her shoulders, a grin stretching's across her face. Feeling ready, she settled into her stance and brought her arms up into position.

Ray's senses narrowed in on the spar and on her opponent. After eying Aurelia for a moment for weak points she figured she should start out by testing the difference in their power. She had a sneaking suspicious that she was slightly outmatched and. In order to properly strategize she needed to  determine if there was any truth to that hunch. Ray made the first strike. Twisting her hip slightly Ray sent a cross strike aimed at Aurelia's shoulder simply to test her strength, reflexes, etc. Ray kept her other hand up to protect her face.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Ray was eager and just as ready as she was, it seemed, which was refreshing. She was just another person who wanted to keep their skills sharp, that wanted to delve into a good spar and come out better for it. Aurelia admired that, liked that drive for self-improvement in another person. Truth be told, she was excited to see what Ray had to offer her just as much as the other way around.

Aurelia was a little too ready for this start, however, finding the first punch to be predictable. But, of course, it has to start somewhere, and there's no judgement for that. The first hits always seem to miss if the opponent expects them. It's the getting up close and personal that guarantees... something to happen, and Aurelia isn't too worried about that. It'll get there sooner or later.

It's a fluid movement Aurelia makes, to dip her shoulder out of the way. It's not a punch that comes next. A quick, jabbing kick aimed for the outline of Ray's ribs. Her hands are still up, ready to defend her upper body should she have to.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray wasn't too surprised when her punch was avoided. It seemed Aurelia was just as skilled as she expected. A sharp hit her ribs, knocking the wind out of her. That's what she gets for being sidetracked. Ray shuffled back, eying her opponent. She recovered fairly quickly however and soon made her move. Getting in close Ray first sent an elbow strike aimed at Aurelia's nose. In quick succession she then also sent her other hand up in a hook that was aimed at Aurelia's ribs. Ray tried to move fast enough to keep her face protected in-between the strikes. Hopefully one of those hits would land.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia's eyes widened in anger when Ray sent an elbow right into her nose. The pain throbbed but, she didn't have much time before another hook was thrown into her own ribs. The second hit was less hard, hurt less, gutted her less. She took the pain and fueled it into her next motion, noticing how Ray moved very fast and either had a disregard for the rules or simply didn't consider hits to the face 'cheap shots'. Either way, Aurelia wasn't about to call it quits.

Lurching, she sent a fist arcing directly for Ray's face. Not finished, she used the same momentum to spin around and sweep her foot through Ray's legs, intending to drop her.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray was surprised at Aurelia's anger. Were they supposed to be fighting under some kind of rules? Oops. Regardless, Ray quickly sidestepped the punch aimed at her face and jumped up slightly, avoiding Aurelia's leg entirely. Ray backed up suddenly. "Were we supposed to be fighting under some rules? I'm so sorry I thought we were just having a regular spar." She huffed out, breathing hard but genuinely sorry. With her piece said she jumped back in, aiming a punch at her opponent's shoulder. Hopefully that was an acceptable strike and not one that was against whichever rules she was supposed to be following.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
She paused, started out of her anger by Ray's apology. The hit to her shoulder landed but, she shrugged it off. The tension along her body, the fast movements and rushing blood, and the strong hit to her nose prompted a fresh line of blood to drip down to her lips. She stopped, bringing up a hand to her nose, and lifted her brows at Ray.

"I do think," she paused, sniffing and turning away from the ring, "hits to the face are considered foul play. Since uh, we don't have any head gear."

Aurelia made her way to the kitchen area of the Slagveld, pulling out some ice and tucking it into a cloth, to then press it along the bridge of her nose. "You could've broke my nose with a hit like that." The words came out as fact, less out of anger or anything like that.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray waved her hands, stuttering slightly. "Oh fuck! I'm so sorry. I'm used to street fighting I guess. That's what my father taught me, make any strike you can." She ran to her bag and grabbed some gauze and other medical gear. "I can fix that up for you if you'd like? Or you can just use these if you want to do it yourself."  Ray hovered worriedly as she followed Aurelia. She genuinely felt bad and was cursing her father in her mind for being such a sneaky bastard as to not teach her what the hell a proper spar was supposed to be.

"How's your nose? I know I didn't break it, but how bad is it?" Hopefully Ray hadn't ruined her chances at making friends or at the very least at maybe having any other spars in the future.

r a y

—Albert Camus