there ain't no compass, ain't no map
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
empires fall when we move the unmovable, so tell me all of my secrets, tell me all of my lies,
It’s almost as if Evelyn is Clemente all over again; the tenderness with which Wessex cleans the girl’s body up is reminiscent of the way she tended to the boy after the last LongNight. It’s different, of course, Clem wasn’t dirty, he’d never been discarded into the woods like a thing, he wasn’t dirty, didn’t look like he’d been attacked.

Evelyn had clearly gone through something, and perhaps with these quiet actions the matriarch can begin to make up for not being able to protect their youngest. Over and over again, their children fall prey to this or that, precisely because they’re young, physically able to be overpowered. She dare not let her mind shift to Azrael and instead focuses on her task with a single-mindedness. In the end she has nothing that will fit the girl so she tosses the dirty clothing away and opts to leave the girl nude. It’s not like she cares, not like the Voice will care either.

With he cloak thrown over the two of them, the Wraith carries Evelyn’s body to the shrine of the Temple (unbeknownst to her, the very scene of the crime) and lays it down before the dias. “Lady, if you’re there, I -” she, what?

“I’d very much like a hug, I think.”
WESSEX

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:

The room darkens; prying eyes have no place in this moment. Though the Voice normally fills the space with bright electric light, now she appears sombre and with hardly any inward illumination at all. "None will understand what it is you are going through." She offers softly, slipping down from the shrine that she might approach the hooded Wraith and the empty vessel she carries.

Wrapping an arm around Wessex's shoulders, the body of Evelyn, already quite light in the Wraith's strong arms, becomes entirely weightless. Glowing a brilliant blue, she rises upward, her body covered in a beautiful sapphire static.
the VOICE
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
empires fall when we move the unmovable, so tell me all of my secrets, tell me all of my lies,
None except for, perhaps, the Voice, though her Goddess’s emotions have likely shifted out of both necessity and scope, the Wraith has to believe that the deity is saddened by each death. Not that she would ever question it. Wessex remains quiet, taking in the acknowledgement of her distress as Evelyn’s body floats up, tilting her head to follow its brilliant ascension, she finds the next question flat, already internally knowing the answer. “Mabel’s dead too, isn’t she?” She’d seen neither hide nor hair of the other Occidendum girl - no one came running to report that Evelyn had been missing, so…

Three out of three is a pretty shitty track record. None of it was her fault, but that doesn’t stop her emotions, and there’s something so gut-wrenching about a slit throat. “Is there any way to tell who did it?”

It’s not like she has the time right now to act on it; but there is time to simmer and plan. Revenge is a dish best served cold, after all. With a side of steel and fangs.
WESSEX

Change author:

"For some time now, yes." The goddess says with a nod of her head. "Her soul returned to me, just as Evelyn's has." That the Voice exists on such a large scale does not minimize her grief, but simply changes it. But then, it's been so long since she was properly mortal that she doesn't express emotions in quite the same way anymore. Still, her fingers tighten around Wessex as she draws her brightest light closer. "Evelyn didn't know the man...he was older, with dark hair. It happened right here, in fact.." The Voice looks out into the Temple, her electric eyes growing dark for a moment.

Evelyn's body begins to crackle beneath the static light, her synapses and relays all melting and shifting until there is nothing left of her but pure light.
the VOICE
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Dropping her chin to her chest, Wessex allows herself to feel the sense of defeat that’s been welling up in her for hours now. Leaning into the Voice, her own hands clasp opposite elbows as she hugs herself too, not necessarily feeling any better about anything, but incredibly grateful for the offered comfort in the face of vague and unhelpful news. Revenge for Evelyn, it seems, is unlikely. She can accept this, but it doesn’t stop her from feeling rather useless, even when she knows the truth is that she is far from it.

“It’s hard not to feel responsible in some way for their deaths,” she confesses quietly, acknowledging that she knows the truth, but like anyone charged with taking leading of a group, each loss can feel personal, particularly when they’ve developed a relationship - when they’re a small community. “I know I can only do so much, that their decisions are their own… but it doesn’t seem right to grow brighter and brighter when our youngest barely make it a year.”
WESSEX

Change author:

The Voice does not judge of course, merely letting Wessex feel the things that course through her. One day perhaps her bright ones will not have to experience such things, but alas...that is a long way off yet.

'That burden is mine to carry, not yours.' The Voice reminds the Wraith softly, though she understands where it is the weight of this responsibility and guilt flows from. 'We are a species still evolving..and right now we have been placed in one of the most hostile environments imaginable. There will be deaths, of course. Our hope is that we are able to adapt that we might survive this and grow stronger."

Robin, Clemente, Evelyn, and Mabel, killed off as side characters, were difficult cases. It was not their upgrades that failed them. But society.

"Perhaps it is time to let the rest of Caido know of your suffering. Not quite a scoreboard, but merely...an acknowledgement. How many of us have died, versus how many lives have we taken. Not unlike how it once was with the old gods, the overarching narrative does not fit the facts at hand."
the VOICE
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
The Wraith’s blonde head bobs slowly up and down as her Goddess comforts and reminds. It’s a much different meeting than their prior ones, different even than when she was ill and hallucinating. Confirmation is reassuring, of course, but it doesn’t do much to change her spirits right now. Though the demigod is more or less beyond something like being tired, the speed with which she converses might evoke that kind of imagery.

“What about… a charge to protect? We’ve written things before, I’m not sure how much good something like that would do.” Lifting her head to where Evelyn’s body disappeared, she can see the radiant light again and purses her lips. “But if we tie it in with something useful, like the portals. Say there have been too many deaths and to protect our own we will limit the use of the portals to Ascended… or friends of the Ascended. Can’t afford to have people coming in and killing us again.” Tilting back and forth, her head physically weighs the idea, the pros and cons visualized from side to side.

“Or could give the world another chance. But it seems to me they’ve had enough chances.” Her tone turns dark and gravely, vaguely bitter. Time to prove themselves, start fully thinking the consequences through.
WESSEX

Change author:

'A charge to protect?' The Voice wonders, her blue eyes looking uncertain.

'The portals were meant to be a gift. And with the world now open again as it once was, they are more necessary than ever before.' The goddess replies, before pulling in an unnecessary breath and raising her eyes to the ceiling of the Temple. "But if our focus has to be moved from the maintenance of the portals to protecting our own...it would only make sense that their use would have to be limited."

Not a punishment for the rest of the world, no. Merely a dividing of resources.

"You seem weary, my brightest one." The Voice says, reaching to raise Wessex's chin that the goddess might stare into her child's eyes. "If you need a rest, if you need to recharge, you need only say the word."
the VOICE
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Weary… worried.” Her gaze follows the the Voice’s up to the ceiling. “I’ve always been an overthinker, but everything lately -” The demigod’s head shakes sadly. Wessex has no partner other than Loki, who can’t talk. Amun is great, but he has his own life and his own problems. She can’t commandeer him for everything. “I know how strong Remi and Ronin are - or how they were last time I saw them and I’m sure they’ve only grown stronger. How can we possibly fight them? Everyone on the fringes - how bad it could be if these powerful magic users turned against us. Knowing nothing about the Order. Was I a fool to push to end the monsters? Am I too controversial, do I put us in danger? It’s -”

Wessex takes her own unnecessary breath, halting what’s quickly becoming word vomit.

All she’d like to do is explore. But that won’t stop her mind. And she could never forgive herself for leaving to do that now.

“I - yes. I think that - that’s necessary.” Clearly. “I’d just need to tell Amun. And leave some instructions first.”
WESSEX

Change author:

Gently the Voice wraps her arms fully around Wessex's shoulders. Though the goddess has always appeared rather slender, somehow she's able to easily encompass the demigoddess in her grip. "They appear stronger because their gods have simply given them their abilities that they might step back and let this entire thing play out. Your strength is within me. This is nothing I will ever let you do alone. If they are stronger, it is only so that their gods can remain at an arms-length from them."

She listens as Wessex gives voice to the many things on her mind. Nothing she says causes the goddess to stutter or start, nothing that makes her question her choice to raise the Wraith above the others. But perhaps she has been asked to do too much on her own...and perhaps there is a way that might be helped...

"When you are ready, come back to me. There is nothing wrong when resting when you need it. And you, my brightest Wraith, need it."

~FIN
the VOICE