Personal Quest all the scarred, all the beautiful
Aisha Khai
Swordmaster / Deepfrost Shield / Guildmaster

Age: 28 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chachy Offline
Change author:
MP: 1615
what will you do when the vultures come for you, run and hide?
Yesterday Aisha had hung a notice on the notice board, a call to join her in the grounds for a training session. She was jumping right into her chosen path as a swordmaster, a mentor to anyone who wanted to learn, and a warrior among the ranks. She wanted this to be an introduction, a time for like minded soldiers to gather and spar, and share what they knew about the craft. And perhaps organize, show them what it meant to fight together.

She was up early for the occasion, dressed to fight with her sword strapped to her hip. She didn't have super high expectations yet, she knew she was new here, not many knew her name. But hopefully she'd gather enough to join her and the other Shields she'd rallied to join in the efforts. Noon came and she waited, joking leisurely with a soldier about other whimsical things. Though her mind remained set on the session ahead.

This is a pq to help establish Aisha in her swordmaster profession! I want to make it clear that this does not count towards one of your training threads for the season! I'm hoping to make it fast and enjoyable, and will be using dice to determine outcomes!

The spots are filled!
1. Sah
2. Neos
AISHA
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3345

"If I can't move the heavens above, I will move Hell"

Sah was still very new to the whole human fighting thing. So when he heard that someone was opening up classes in Halo he jumped at the opportunity. Granted, Deimos was already helping him out but extra advice couldn't hurt, right? So Sah put on his training gear and headed to the meeting place, nervous but eager. When he got there he noticed someone who appeared to be the instructor and walked over. "Hi, thanks for doing this. I'm still painfully knew to swordsmanship so every bit helps." He addressed Aisha with a warm smile. Hopefully Sah would come out of this with some new knowledge and not just new bruises.

sah
There stood the wolf in the winter wind
Full of fearsome might
King of the winter night.
-Tim Vallie

Neos Rivetter
Explorer/Storyteller

Age: 33 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Tesability Offline
Change author:
MP: 360
Neos
Don't be mistaken
Your bloody time's up
During his explorations through the Citadel, Neos had ended up catching sight of an interesting flyer upon the local notice board, always a good place to look for anything that might be of interest. The thought of someone teaching how to swordfight had caused him to give a little bit of a sideways smirk as he thought of some of his past dabbling in other realms, specifically in sword-and-boarding and wielding two-handed weapons, before deciding it would probably be a neat way to see how different realities adopt the use of their weapons for their own defenses and walking away towards where it said the classes would be held...

He had walked up towards where at least one other 'customer' had arrived, one that had him raising an eyebrow until he heard the voice of. Neos was not at all surprised that Sah was new to swordfighting as a whole, the former canine didn't have reason to learn the art in the past after all. "Might be a good thing I showed up here, then," Neos said as he walked up, standing beside Sah with a smile on his face. "You faring alright, Sah?"

Unlike the last time Sah had seen him, Neos admittedly had a permanent but faint shiver to his arms now...his scrawny frame was not adjusting well to the cold, even with the thickened clothes he was wearing.
This ain't no game
We're not here to entertain you
Aisha Khai

Age: 28 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Aisha's chatting was cut short as some civilians began to join, those not emboldened with sibling's of arms as she was, just the will to learn. A satisfied grin set in as she watched them come, some bearing swords, some empty handed. They'd come to see what she and her fellow soldiers had to teach, and she planned on providing whatever knowledge she could.

A couple newcomers came by to speak with her. The first was tall with dark hair, vaguely reminiscent of the raven boy, though less gloomy in disposition. She grinned back as he greeted her, giving him a hearty clap on the shoulder, "It's what I'm here for," she winked, turning her attention to the other, a far more striking appearance with blue hair and forest green eyes.

This one spoke to the previous man, apparently they knew each other. That would work out, she'd pair them up for the trials ahead. She gave them a moment to chat, turning her attention to a friend to answer a quick question, then stepped back to address the group. Hands on hips, joyously confident, she set about it, "Welcome to the newly upgraded training grounds! I'm Aisha Khai, a member of the Shields and the facilitator for this session today."

"I think you all get why you're here so I'm not going too much into detail, but I'm going to be splitting you up into groups to pair with some of our experienced fighters, and you'll get to work with them for the day, sparring, learning stances, all that shit." From there the leopardess began to delegate, splitting up groups to go with different mentors, finally landing on Sah and Neos, "I'll start with you two," then she dismissed the gathered people to begin their individual training sessions.

On to her own charge, she had them spend some time warming up, showing them some basic stances and maneuvers; defense, offense, the best thrusts and the best strokes for beginners. Upon completion of the fundamentals, they were brought to some of the straw dummies. "First things first, I'll have you practice some swings on some targets yeah? Great, just show me what you know, extra points if head's roll." She shooed them on, showing them to their places and waiting for them to give what she'd taught a try.

Alright! We'll start with some practice, describe their attacks on the straw dummies, I'll be rolling for success. (there are some swords from the armory available if they need)
AISHA
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Sah grinned when Neos appeared. "Rather well, surprisingly. Yourself?" As Aisha returned his greeting, he winked back playfully. "Excellent." He liked her attitude. Sah fell into the basic stances that she showed them, glad that they felt rather balanced. Sah was surprised at how natural it felt, but that may have been because of his previous practice and training sessions. Even if the stance was familiar, many of the strikes and tactics were brand new. Sah did his very best to mimic them as he practiced.

When it was his turn on the dummy he took a deep breath and adjusted his stance. Giving a few light practice strikes to get used to the feeling, the then truly started to put force and speed behind his strikes. Sah aimed for the neck and chest of the dummy, trying to land a 'lethal' strike.

Sah is doing his very best to mimic the stances and strikes. He's aiming for the neck and chest of the dummy.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Neos Rivetter
Explorer/Storyteller

Age: 33 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Neos
Don't be mistaken
Your bloody time's up
"Was about to move on to another place through the portals before seeing the notice for this," he said in response to Sah before smirking at being paired up with him. "Feel free to ask me any questions regarding what's being learned here, I can probably help ya make sense of things," he whispered, running his hand through his dark-blue hair for the moment in a slightly-random motion. He was trying to get the curls back to looking the more vivid-blue he was used to, but that was turning out to be quite the fight...especially since he hasn't found a way to bleach his hair closer to at least blonde in this world.

He took a second to look over the blades available, trying to see if he could see either a combination of a sword and shield that would work well with one another...or a large two-handed blade. Well, he wasn't really seeing any shields among the blades and they all seemed geared for one-handed use, putting the shapeshifter into an awkward spot. He knew how to use a one-handed blade...but he knew how to use one paired with a shield, not on their own. "...none of these seem to---hm?"

Emerald eyes fell upon one particular blade that seemed to be geared for a larger person, prompting him to approach and grab it before taking a few experimental swings. It was not quite the same length as a two-handed blade would be, but it had a similar amount of weight to it that he was familiar with and it was still a bit longer than a typical one-handed blade for his size. Length could be adjusted for on the fly, weight not so much. Still, he could work with this for now, he'd have to make for himself either a sword and shield...or his preference of a two-handed axe.

Resting the flat of the blade carefully on his shoulder, he watched over the stances shown, silently thankful for the visual reminder for most of them while trying to figure out how to adjust them somewhat for what he was wielding and how. Once it was his turn to approach a dummy, he started with the tip of the blade on the ground before spinning it behind him with both hands as he approached closer. He then used the momentum to lift the blade into the air then bring the edge down down upon the head of the dummy in an attempt to split it clear in two with an overhead chop.
This ain't no game
Aisha Khai

Change author:
A bit more chatter, eagerly peeking at the other groups to see how they were doing, observing and piping up when she thought she could help. She was more than happy with the outcome thus far, it was exhilarating to find so many interested in the craft. Her attention was drawn back to her duo when they began to execute the maneuver's on the dummies.

The first, Sah was it? Her eyes followed every inch of his movement, from how he carried himself posture wise to the placement of his fingers on the hilt. He struck with a lot of power, pulling the blade down onto the target, but he was not yet a seasoned fighter. He led with his body, too tense to let the sword do its work, and the sharp edge simply stopped about an inch deep into the collar of the target. "Remember to let gravity do most of the work with a swing like that, good aim and a good wind up is better than stiff legs," she advised, walking over to adjust his posture and set him up for a couple more practice swings.

Then on to the other, the blue haired man (Neos) had already show cased some of his abilities, it was clearly not his first time wielding a weapon. With a flourish he struck down on the dummy, cutting right through the head and stopping at it's chest. Now that was a good example of momentum and balance, she smiled and clapped him on the back, "Great job, keep it up."

After a bit more practice time Aisha felt it was time to start a new task, she moved away to find another pair to bring back. With four people now gathered that would make for equal teams, perfect for the next trial. "I'm gonna pair you up against another couple now, to see how you hold up against a target that moves. The goal here will be to work together, to use what you've learned so far, and try to disarm the other team."

The two she'd brought over smiled, a black haired man with a tall blonde woman, both here for the same reason as Sah and Neos. To learn, to protect, to fight. Aisha stepped back as the pairs faced each other, the opposing team taking a stance and waiting for Sah and Neos to make the first move.

Second task! Work together to try an disarm another pair of fighters, describe your tactics/attacks with your next post!
AISHA
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah took in Aisha's advice. Let gravity to the work huh? He'd make sure to try that with his next attempt. He glanced at Neos. "Us against two strangers. I think I like our odds." He said with a smirk, eyeing their opponents. Coming up with a vague strategy, he adjusted his grip on the sword. "You're the more experienced fighter, so feel free to come up with a better plan. But maybe I keep the first one occupied while you deal with the second? And once you defeat them, you come back me up if I'm still dealing with them? If you're unable to defeat yours for whatever reason, just call out. We can then do two on two, each of us blocking for each other while the first strikes?" Sah proposed, trying to cover all of their bases.

Their opponents approached and Sah got ready. Stepping into his stance he challenged the first one. Trying to stay mobile, he faced his enemy head on, doing his best to take every opening to slash and making sure to block as needed to the best of his abilities. Sah tried to let gravity do the work as instructed and focused on keeping his opponent moving and unable to rest. Hopefully his endurance would win out.

Sah is facing his opponent head on, trying to attack when there's an opening and block as needed while keeping his opponent moving in the hopes of tiring them out.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Neos Rivetter
Explorer/Storyteller

Change author:
Neos
Don't be mistaken
Your bloody time's up
While Sah seemed eager for this exercise, Neos himself was wearing a worried frown on his face. Yeah, he was an experienced fighter...but this was combining two of the parts of combat he had the least experience in: Working with a partner and non-damaging disarmaments using a weapon to do so. Not to mention that most two-handed weapons...or one-handed weapons large enough to be used as a two-handed like he was doing right now...were really sucky for disarm ploys and were best used for controlling as much space as possible at any one time. He wasn't concerned about accidentally hurting himself in the slightest. He was more concerned about royally fucking over Sah and the opposition in irreversible ways.

He swung the blade behind and to the side away from Sah, tip resting against the ground. "If you need to, dip behind me and let me take control of the space between us and them before you go back in for an opening following my blade's path. Between both of us, we should be able to tire them out enough for you to get in and wind them with an elbow shot to the chest before disarming them," he whispered to Sah after he said his piece. "And don't worry about me being outnumbered, larger blades like this are made for such fights and I'm more than used to such odds. You focus on blocking the shots I don't get and getting in to disarm them," he added before seeing Sah move on forward. Nodding to the move, Neos then lunged forward himself, blocking at least one shot with his blade by bringing it between Sah and the attacking opponent from over the former canine's head while keeping the other strikes off the pair of them.

Neos is full-focusing on blocking for both himself and Sah, using himself as a living shield for the other while controlling the space around him with his large blade so the false human can focus on making sure he didn't accidentally skewer someone with the blade. He's advised Sah to dip behind him as needed to avoid blows and to follow the forward paths of his blade if lunging forward to go for a disarm.
At least one block's gonna be Neos bringing the blade over and in front of Sah's head to block a frontal shot.
This ain't no game
Aisha Khai

Change author:
Aisha stepped back to let the two teams strategize, plot, prepare to employ tactics. As she listened in, nosiness coming in clutch for the occasion, she got a good idea of what the fight ahead might look like. Time to see how it really played out. "Alright, begin!" she called once both pairs had taken position. And from there ensued the contained chaos that was battle.

Sah went after the dark haired man, who was smaller, but stouter, far less nimble. Sah had that advantage and he kept moving, swiftly navigating and evading and landing blows here and there. Soon enough the black haired foe pulled an unsteady grip on his weapon, and Sah's blade struck the other's down, the opponent's weapon skittered across the snow capped ground.

On to Neos, who was having similar success with the woman. Expertly deflecting and redirecting her hits. She had power in stature, tall and brawny, but she wore herself out quickly against his well timed retaliations. He kept her off his teammate until Sah had disarmed his opponent, and by then Neos's foe was worn. An elbow to the chest, easing her grip, and his next swing sent her blade to the ground with that familiar chiming.

Aisha beamed, proud that her two charge had fared so well. "Well done, all of you," she said, gaze sweeping over to the two that Sah and Neos had defeated. They gathered their weapons, sent a sour glance back to the winners, then marched off to practice some more. Aisha looked back to Sah and Neos, ready to swoop in with feedback, "You two work really well together to be honest."

"Sah, good job listening to what I told you earlier, those swings were much cleaner. And Neos, you have good coordination, I'd like to see what you could do with other weapons sometime." Then she shook her head, "But first, I do have one last thing I want you all to complete. One on one, spar. You versus you, disarm your opponent. We'll do a couple rounds, feel free to start when you're ready."

Good job in the two on two, but now it's one on one! Sah and Neos are squaring off with their new skills against each other, describe plans and attacks and I'll be rolling for successes.
AISHA
Neos Rivetter
Explorer/Storyteller

Change author:
Neos
Don't be mistaken
Your bloody time's up
With the physical extertions, Neos was definitely getting warmer in his clothes, but he knew once he fully stopped, he was going to feel like an absolute popsicle in this place. "Believe it or not, I've worked with quite a few weapon styles, just never got to work with anything akin to a greatsword before," the former shapeshifter said in response to working with other weapons. He then rolled one of his shoulders behind himself before adding, "Closest equal to that was a greataxe, but there's a good chance I'm still pretty rusty, though. Usually prefer brawling."

He then looked towards the other group, specifically the lady of the duo before saying with a raised voice so she could hear her, "Hey, you got some solid swings, but it takes more than strength to get through someone's defenses. Remember that."

A couple seconds passed before he facepalmed himself, leaning the handle of the blade against his side while having the tip rest on the ground. "Dammit, all this and I haven't even introduced myself, I'm a goof." He then turns towards Aisha, hand outstretched with an embarrassed smile. "The name's Neos, by the way."

Once exchanges were made, he finally turned towards Sah, giving a small nod before readying himself, blade behind and to his left side this time so he could give full force to a swing. He didn't plan on letting Sah get close until he was ready to close the gap himself.

There may be metal weapons involved, but this was still a battle between beasts.

Neos plans on keeping Sah away, trying to tire him out by making the former lupine exert himself more than he means to before rushing in and literally kicking the blade out of Sah's hand. If he has to do a flying kick, and by that I mean put the sword tip into the ground and launch himself feet-first towards Sah by pushing against it, he will.
This ain't no game
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah gave a nod of respect towards his defeated opponents before turning to Neos. "Shame we have to fight like this. I'd wipe the floor with you if we were using claws." Sah teased, meaning every word. From what Neos had told him, although fighing a shape shifter would be difficult, Sah's magic might win out. Smirking playfully, Sah got into position across from Neos. He knew full well that Neos was stronger then him, more experienced too. And possibly faster. If he managed to land a hit, Sah would likely lose. Maybe a similar tactic to before would work? Focus on dodging and find an opening when Neos was tired? That would be Sah's best bet. As for disarming Neos, striking the wrist or hand would be a good tactic.

Sah plans to use his agility and endurance to dodge any strike Neos sends his way. When Neos tires and an opening appears, he'll rush in and strike, aiming for the hand and wrist to make Neos drop his blade.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Aisha Khai

Change author:
Aisha's feedback and encouragement was met congenially, the two men nodding and giving their own responses. Her attention pivoted to the wisps of blue hair, turned more vibrant by the landscape of icy tones. Humph, she watched as he called his own advice to his previous opponent, she scowled and pretended as though she hadn't heard. Oh did Aisha love the atmosphere of the training grounds.

His attention was turned to her next, introducing himself. She'd picked up on his name throughout the day, overhearing this and that, but if he wanted to do it proper she'd give him that. "I'm sure you know mine," she replied with a wink, shaking his hand. When she let go she slapped at his wrist, gesturing him back towards Sah. "Now get ready wouldja?"

They took their stances, ready to test their grit against each other now that the other rounds were out of the way. If Aisha were to place bets she'd probably go with Neos, the man had experience prior to this, whereas Sah hadn't. But then again, wasn't that underestimating her teaching skills? In that case, bets were on him.

They began their first spar, all at once engaging in a flurry of blades and movement. Aisha circled the two, watching them execute fine strikes and form. Both were agile, both endurant, but a blade would fall eventually. And it seems her figurative bet was won; after the torrent push and pull of the battle, eventually the flat of Sah's blade smacked against Neos's wrist, sending his weapon skittering against the ground.

"Damn newbie," she grinned, nodding towards Sah. Then to Neos, "You gonna try again or just let him get away with it?"

Sah won this first round (nat 20 :O), but there's still one more for redemption!
AISHA
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah blinked in surprise when he managed to defeat Neos despite his expectations. A teasing grin stretched across his face. "Well, maybe this form is fully capable of doing so." He chuckled lightly. "Though that was likely beginner's luck." Sah stepped back and got back into position. He tried not to let his small victory go to his head but he was certainly proud of defeating Neos, even briefly.

Exhaling, Sah refocused on their spar. He wanted to try a new tactic this time. His plan was to once again dodge and exhaust Neos. But this time he wanted to get in close and hit Neos hard enough in the chest to send him sprawling and drop his sword. Sah wasn't sure if he could pull it off but it seemed he had  a decent chance of at least wearing Neos down enough to get a blow in.

Sah is going to focus on dodging and exhausting Neos again. But this time he plans to use an opening to strike Neos in the chest hard enough to knock him down and drop his sword.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie