Where The Lonely Go
Zeph~
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE
I feel a bubble in my organs and veins
In trouble, but ignoring the pain
It's only because the day is moody and overcast that Nate is in the garden, going through the carefully labelled plants put down for them. Taking care of the garden isn't difficult, but it requires enough focus to keep his mind from wandering while being simple enough that he can drop it at a moment's notice.

It's only because he's already in the garden that Nate notices the figure making its way up to the house. Whoever it is has to be coming here, because where else is there to go with such purpose upon the cliffs? Unless there was something to do with the smugglers around here, and no sooner does that thought enter his head than the shape reveals itself as Zeph.

Nate works his jaw as he watches the other man, lifting himself up and sauntering out to meet him, his grin muzzled into something almost sheepish. "It's a good day for it, huh?" His tone is bright, airy, utterly at odds with the pinch in his brow and the sharpness in his eyes, but he owes Zeph more than a little bit, and can be agreeable until he doesn't anymore.
doubling my score in the game
Fuck you and your whores into fame
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
zephyr
The guilty undertaker sighs
The lonesome organ grinder cries
You are wearing a light jacket, and if that isn't evidence that you're a born and bred Torcher Mort knows what is. Because it's not cold, not by any normal person's standards, but to an islander like you? Downright nippy, and you're not super thrilled about being out in it. Doesn't help that it's overcast and smells like incoming rain. Also doesn't help that you're not super close from home, doing a task you'd rather not be caught doing.

So when Nate stands up you briefly consider turning tail and running back home, except that would definitely be much worse. Instead you stop along the path, letting him saunter out like some sort of unpleasantly large garden gnome and come to loom in front of you, seeming positively cherubic were it not for, y'know, his face. "Hmm," is your noncommittal reply, squinting skeptically at the storm clouds that darken the horizon. "A good day for gettin' th'fuck inside, maybe. Yer taller half around?"
The silver saxophones say I should refuse you
But it's not that way, I wasn't born to lose you
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
Zeph turns to look at the burgeoning clouds, the threat of rain growing closer by the moment, but Nate keeps still, focuses on the other man instead. Wonders what he'd made the trip out for, when Nate is almost certain he can predict the others opinion on the house, and the location of it. "Not a fan of the clouds, huh?" It's the only bit of joviality he manages to get out before Sunjata is asked after, and Nate's thoughts turn to the dark twist that has settled quite happily in his chest.

"No." Nate spits the word, all but offended to have it in his mouth. "He's out dealing with some things." There a split-second decision, a fuck it, and the ascended is fumbling in his pockets suddenly, pulling out a pack of cigarettes and flicking it open in a gesture so well-practiced a single smoke slips out just enough for him to grab between his lips. The pack is offered out to Zeph while he fumbles again, this time pulling out a box of matches and striking it.

"What'd you need him for?" It's easier to focus on the distraction of Zeph than turn inwards, and Nate is all about taking the easy road.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
zephyr
"Not a fan'a gettin' caught in the rain," you grumble in reply, still glaring at the clouds as though that might encourage them to change direction and leave you be. Fat chance, but a boy can dream.

You did not expect so much venom when his husband is asked after. It's enough to make you raise a brow, glancing sidelong at the Ascended whose scar nearly matches your own. "Trouble in paradise?" Your tone is mild, though you make no effort to hide your disgust at the offered cigarette, wrinkling your nose in distaste. "What's even th'point? Can't taste or smell th'shit."

So Sunjata isn't here. Not sure if that's better or worse. Brow furrowed, you turn back to the water (wouldn't want to keep making eye contact, as if the two of you were friends). "Met a weird character in th' bar. An' wanted- had some stuff t'drop off." Is that bashfulness upon your face, an expression you try to hide by running your hand through your hair? Say it ain't so, Zephyr!
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
”Huh. How do you feel about the taste of champagne?” He says it under his breath, because it’s a joke for him, and Nate manages a smile while the other man is distracted glaring at the clouds. It doesn’t last, of course, how could it, when immediately his thoughts are ripped back towards one of the subjects he’d been trying to ignore. So much for the peace of a garden, or whatever it was supposed to be.

A heavy, useless sigh heaves out of him, the ascended shaking his head as he lights his smoke, and rolling his shoulders in a shrug when Zeph refuses. ”I like it.” He rumbles, careful to lean a little more downwind from the smuggler. He might be in a shitty mood, but it’s not worth making everything into a fight. ”Someone we knew who died came back, and it’s fucking shit up.” It’s both the simplest way to explain, and the most information he’s willing to offer without prompting.

There’s no need to simply hand the other man things that could possibly be used against him, after all.

When Zeph turns to the water again, Nate lets his gaze follow, his brows pulling together. ”There’s gotta be lots of weirdos around. What makes this one so special you wanna report him?” In the distance, a sheet of rain begins to pour, approaching the coast, and them. The ascended hums, half considers getting caught in it it, and turns to the front door. ”You might as well come in and drop it off then.” He offers, gesturing for the smuggler to go ahead of him.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
What the fuck does champagne have to do with rain? You don't favor the weird aside with a response, only raising an eyebrow and grunting noncommittally. You'd prefer something stronger if given the option, and you'd prefer to be inside when it rains. You'd also prefer that Nate not smoke, but at least he has the decency to turn himself downwind. Small blessing and all that.

You'd heard about the dead coming back. Not sure if it's better or worse that your own lost ones didn't rise up again; you aren't sure you'd be able to take staring at El-who-is-not-El, or the exquisite pain of holding Ray again but knowing he's tethered forever to a god. But to fuck up the shit of these lovebirds? Shoving a hand into a pocket, you glance sidelong at Nate. "Who was it?" A dead lover, probably. Or someone they killed. Maybe both.

The rain falls like a curtain over the line of the horizon, a promise brought to fruition as the sky begins to cry. It'll be minutes before it reaches the pair of you, not long enough for you to get home. Already your arm is aching considerably, and though you don't want to take Nate up on his offer, you know you'll regret letting your pride win this bout. "Thanks," you grumble irritably, walking into the massive cavern that is the Governor's house. "He was some kinda priest," is the answer to Nate's earlier question, given as you kneel down to remove your boots. "Talked a lotta smack about th'Voice an' Ascended bringin' 'bout th'end'a days or someshit."
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
It doesn’t matter that Zeph doesn’t care for his joke, or his smoke really. They’re both for Nate, a balm that he sorely needs as the conversation brushes against a particularly sore spot. "Sunjata's ex." Again, it's the simplest way to explain, but this time Nate can't just leave it there. "We had... a weird moment, I guess. And I think she expected things to end up different than they did." He wants to shrug, to make the situation less serious somehow, but it hasn't been resting quite long enough for that, some of it still gnawing at his nerves.

"Some kinda priest huh?" Nate slips out of his own boots with a practiced step, moving deeper into the house and leaning against the wall towards the kitchen, waiting for Zeph to rise again and follow him, not bothering with the offices. "What are we even supposed to do in the end of days? I still have to live somewhere." It seems like such a stupid argument, which somehow makes the drivel being spewed out worse.

Leading the way into the kitchen, Nate gestures to a seat, then a glass, asking Zeph a silent question while his lips purse then part. ”Was he getting anywhere?”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
Ayyy, you were right on the money with it being the ex. Points to Zephyr. "She expected t'pick up an' fall inta his arms?" you question, furrowing your brow pensively. "Can ya blame her? One minute yer in love, next ya wake up an' yer flame has a new squeeze, but yer feelins'r all the same." God, how fucked that must be. Poor undead romantics.

Maybe El had come back. Maybe she found out about Vai and decided to stay away. You're not sure what would be worse.

Not your problem, end of the day, unless it fucks with Jata's ability to keep Torchline afloat. Boots off and set aside, you follow Nate deeper into the cavern house, unsurprisingly familiar with the layout given you helped in constructing the thing. "He made it seem like yer kind would be livin' large when th'world ends," you call in response, glancing around to see what personal touches have been added to the house as you trudge toward the kitchen. "So I s'pose it's in yer best interest, by his logic."

You settle onto a stool without much ado, glancing at the glass. "Whiskey. An' nah- I don' think so. But 'nuff people're 'fraid'a th'Voice or deep up th'Old God's asses that it could be a problem down th'road." And with a bunch of dead people showing up as Ascended? That's definitely going to set the world a bit askew.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Gods he should invest less in being stubborn and stoic and just share everything at once, just to avoid this situation. ”They weren’t together when she died.” And the snap is back, Nate snapping his jaw shut so tightly after the words that his teeth click audibly. ”I don’t know why she expected to just waltz back in.” And now it’s all just an added twist in the knot growing in his chest, dark and unmanageable and growing still.

”Most of us like the world the way it is.” The snap has cooled to a sullen growl, the subject matter no more appealing. ”Except for the fucks running around trying to turn everyone against us.” Leading as he is, Nate doesn’t notice Zeph glancing around at the surprisingly colourful decor, the comfortable furniture crowded in by potted plants, thick rugs, and a mess of bones and chew toys, one of which he steps over automatically as they cross the threshold into the kitchen.

Rain begins to pound against the windows, Nate glancing up to make sure they’re closed before he grabs a nice (but not the nicest) bottle of whiskey. Zeph is given a generous couple of fingers while the ascended nurses his smoke, working his jaw. ”I guess that’s something.” He concedes wearily, sighing deeply, then reaching up to try and wave away the smoke before it reaches Zeph. ”Don’t suppose you have any grand suggestions for helping this before it becomes a problem, huh?”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
Well, never let it be said you don't know when to butt out of a touchy conversation piece. You don't push on the tangled lovelife of Sunjata and the Legion of Undead Admirers, instead shrugging and leaving the drama where it is. Genuinely you give no fucks, so long as it doesn't affect his ability to run Torchline.

Or so you tell yourself, anyway.

The place looks... homey. Colorful. Lived-in, which surprises you for some reason, even though you know it shouldn't. You do not notice the chew toys until you find one with your toe, wincing before raising a brow and wondering which one of them enjoys such things more - and if you actually need to know.

"Always someone wantin' t'piss in someone else's pot," you mutter as you slide into your stool, taking the nice (but not that nice) whiskey and raising your glass before taking a healthy sip. As for nipping the racism in the bud? You frown into the amber liquid. "Dunno, mate. Told this Gideon he wasn' welcome an' got my people keepin' an eye out, but not a ton I can promise. People talk shit. Whisper. An' frankly, yer Voice ain't done much for Torchline." Not that the Old Gods have, but they've at least done more.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
A bitter laugh sounds from Nate, loud and sudden and snuffed out just as quickly as it had come on. The smoke is also snuffed out in a nearby ashtray, the doctor filling a glass for himself with a much cheaper alcohol and mulling over the situation.

”I wouldn’t expect you to do more than that. And I appreciate what you have done.” It was just a bitch of a situation, and one he doesn’t have have the patience for at the moment. ”Somehow I think people would be just as bitchy if she took a sudden interest. I’ll, I don’t know... mull that over I guess.” With a sigh, he threw back his drink and slumped over the counter, bonelessly dramatic.

”Can we get a fucking week where nothing shitty happens?”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
Would people be bitchy? Probably, but hey. People gonna bitch; might as well have fodder against it. "Ain't like yer public image's great t'begin with," you say frankly, flashing Nate a pointed look before taking another drink.

You almost snort the alcohol when he asks about a chill week. "Had a lotta 'em, 'fore your lot showed up." Oh, but there's no bite to your bark - whatever us-versus-them mentality you might have felt towards the Outlanders doesn't hold much water these days. Nah, you shake your head to mitigate whatever offence he might take, leaning back in your chair. "Borin' people have borin' lives. Annoyin' as you lot may be, yer anythin' but borin'."
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Well, Zeph isn’t wrong, but Nate still doesn’t like hearing it, his nose curling. ”If I survive Longnight, I’ll figure something out.” He says it matter of fact, like it’s a promise, as if the other man gives a shit. ”And if I don’t well hey, problem solved, huh?” He reaches for the bottle, tipping a long pour into Zeph’s glass to keep it filled.

Just as he’s about to open his mouth to rebuke the words, something about Zeph all but calling himself boring, the doctor pauses, and actually processes them fully. ”I think that might be the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me.” Nate tilts to look up at the smuggler, his mismatched eyes narrowed in suspicion. ”You're not getting soft, are you?”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
Soft? Ew. It's your turn to wrinkle your nose and snort at the accusation, finishing the last of your booze in one long pull. No no, you're not nice. Definitely not. Never. "There's benefit to borin'," you counter wryly, sliding the empty glass over the counter for Nate to refill. "Borin' keeps people safe. How many times've you lot nearly died doin' somethin' stupid, eh?"

And would you care if they did die from it? Absolutely Maybe. You'll make no commitment either way.

You've left your bag down on the ground; now you scoop it up, digging into its endless depths until you find what you're looking for. "Here. Gotcha somethin'." From the bag emerges the 'gift': a surprisingly large dried fish, wrapped up but still quite aromatic (read: fishy and salty. Not in a bad way). It was given to you by a local fishmonger and is far more than you can eat; you figured you might as well bring it over here. "I oughta get goin' soon as th'rain lets up."