it's how I lie, but no one told ya
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
zephyr
The guilty undertaker sighs
The lonesome organ grinder cries
Well, let's get this road on the show.

It's been, uh... a fuckin' while, since you called together everyone who belongs to your particular way of life. In that time a lot of shit has gone down, and a lot of it has changed. The Ark didn't go out this season, and people were sick as dogs, and now there's a new governor, and yeah.

It's a lot of crap to cover, and it's kept you on your toes.

But you have A rESpoNsiBiLiTY, and gods damnit you've been slaking long enough. So here you are. Messages are sent through the proper channels, given to the (in)appropriate people. There's booze set up in the Trading Post, and some food as well - normal stuff, lau lau and rice, nothing fancy but it'll do. Last thing you wanna do is deal with hungry smugglers.

You're sitting in the torchlight on an outcropping of rock, working on a stone piece that depicts a large bird. You'll greet everyone as they arrive, but you're willing to wait for them to settle in before getting down to business. No need to rush things, not in Torchline. You have plenty of time until the tide comes in.

Meeting for current & potential members of the Smuggler's Guild! Please get your character in in the next 72 hours if you wanna be counted as a member <3
The silver saxophones say I should refuse you
But it's not that way, I wasn't born to lose you
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Melita hadn’t been properly part of a guild in some time; the last had been the Monster Hunter’s, and it’d been a long while since she wandered after any particular beasts (lava octopuses and ghost whales not withstanding). As the notes and letters about Zeph’s threshold came through the rivulets and channels of their communications, the girl shifted, shrugged, and set about the notions. What harm would it do, considering how many she knew and worked with that were likely already a part of the foundation? She wasn’t certain if this was any different from the Ark crew and fellow handlers, other than perhaps a more professional front. What better way to sate her curiosity, than to wander into its depths?

So the youth and her stalwart pumpkin buoyed and brimmed along in their usual steadfast accord, bag over her shoulder, following directional facets within the Finger’s. With no haunting decrees, no ghosts making their way through the tunnels, the pair were content to flicker and float through, waving to Zeph as they made their way through torchlight, snagging a few snacks on the way by.
to be the sun
MELITA
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MILO
island smiles and cardigans
these nights that we've been drinking in
Y’always know how t’make a place feel like home.” Milo announces his arrival, specifically to Zeph with a crooked grin, a hand raising to playfully push at the man’s good shoulder as he slips in. As the Number Two he was told he would be, he’s absolutely not missing out on the meeting when it’s called.

Nor is he missing out on the food and drink that’s been provided, waving a hello to Melita in greeting as he slips over to snag a bite of food that’s devoured quite quickly — a buffer for the drink he pops into his flask and moves to take his seat, attention flickering up to see who else arrives. If a part of him hopes Aurelia shows, he keeps it well hidden with each glance up.
we're here to help you kill all of this hurt
that you've been harboring
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:

A panther in the night, a fire burning bright.

Although Ray wasn't technically part of the guild, she still worked closely with them. Heck it wasn't rare for the guild members to pop into her shop and catch up on the latest gossip or get info from her. Regardless Ray found herself not terribly surprised but nonetheless flattered when she was invited to the guild's meeting. This was new terrain for her, the network had never associated with a guild closely enough for such a thing. But Ray liked the idea of having allies to back her up. So she accepted the invitation. Ray sat on a rock, enjoying the breeze and savoring a surprisingly good beer. She figured the meeting would start eventually, but until then, she'd relax.

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
JACK
Jack's late. Who cares?

He brings along the newest member of his crew, too, trusting Aurelia not to slip and fall into the tide pools left behind in Rae's Fingers when the water goes out. Following torches and well worn markers only visible to those who know the signs, it's actually a relief to be attending such a meeting. Sickness and exploration and ghost whales headbutting the hull of his ship have made it a difficult (and boring) season, and Flowerbirth can't come soon enough in the captain's opinion.

He arrives with a silent nod to all the right people, a lazy salute tossed in Zeph's direction. For once Jack doesn't bother grabbing himself a drink, and there's no cigarette between his lips either. What's the point? It's not like he gets any enjoyment out of either these days.

Still, for all of his subdued appearance, his mind is still sharp on all those present. And as well as Aurelia, he brings along another companion, who trots in like a sleek black shadow at his heels. Tail high and yellow eyes bright, Seven makes her way directly to Zephyr to mrow obnoxiously and tangle herself around his legs.
you wanted perfect, you got your perfect
but now I'm too perfect for someone like you
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret:

Magic: Passive Telepathy | The user can read the surface thoughts and emotions of those within a 30ft radius. Control is excellent. Note: "Thoughts and emotions" include anything written in a character's narration in a post.
Type: Grey | Rank: Mastered

Also branded with a small star tattoo beneath his left eye.

Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
just take your time wherever you go
Saiden meandered in after the rest of the Ark's crew. Nodding at those assembled, he glanced around at the little tucked away spot they were calling the Trading Post, or something like that. Eying the food, he assembled a plate and started nibbling at it. Pausing by Zephyr, the cook's lips twitched. "Next time you throw a party, let me know in advance so I can cater it." He winked, thouhg it was hard to tell with his single eye.

Next, he knelt down to scratch Seven between the ears and give her a little treat. That done, he took up position next to Melita. Inclining his head to the redheaded girl, the Hali lounged against one wall. He made his way through the snacks as he waited for the meeting to actually start.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
and that the world is always our fault
when we did nothing, how did we do wrong?
It wasn't too long ago that Aurelia had made a trip to the Hollowed Grounds. Hadn't been much to see, though she had picked up a few miscellaneous items in her travels there. The Wilds and Mildew, however, were still fresh on her mind as she followed Jack through the intricate tunnel systems to this meeting he'd invited her to.

She walked with quick, eager steps, paying some attention to her surroundings, enough to not fall into any tidepools. This wasn't the first time she'd been in Rae's Fingers, recalling the ghost of her sister that had led her down into them and how Melita helped her. Somehow, being reminded of that didn't feel so bad anymore.

But Aurelia had never been this far in the tunnels, so her buzzing thoughts trailed off into mental silence as she paid closer attention to Jack and the markers on the walls. When they arrived, Aurelia filtered in behind Jack and Seven, looking around as she did.

Of all the familiar faces, her gaze lingered on Milo a little longer. She was unable to help the subtle curve of a smile. For a second, she lingered nearer to Jack, nodding to Saiden as he entered, considering whether or not she was hungry. Her stomach twisted at the thought of eating right now. Instead, she moved away from Jack's side to take a seat beside Milo.
and I've been thinking that when we thought
the world would break us, that we weren't wrong
Nerissa Marinos
Smuggler

Age: 38 | Height: 155cm | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 12 - Int:
SCYLLA - Regular - Chain Catshark
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
Nerissa
once upon a time my world was big
and full of monsters
Nerissa has kept to herself since the frankly disastrous attempt at exploration she’d embarked on with the princess and the Governor, proving that star studded affairs are no more disposed to good luck than anything else. Really she has only herself to blame, a lack of planning showing it’s face at the zenith of that trip.

Regardless, she is healed, rested, and more importantly, she has answered Zeph’s summons. Alone, unfortunately, her ever present dark cloud not hovering over her at the moment, a different task requiring his capable arms.

Nerissa sits at the edge of one of the flooded tunnels, lounging against sharp rock and letting pale eyes wander around the room, noting faces she knew and ones she didn’t, a distant, unreadable expression on her face.
but now the world is small,
and I am the monster
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
zephyr
They're rats out of a sinking ship, but damn if they ain't your rats, and you're pleased to see 'em, one and all. Shame Raza couldn't make it but you spoke to her already, and the rest, well, the rest are a rag-tag group that make the backbone of Torchline's tasty underworld.

Once everyone who you figure is gonna show shows, you let the chatter die down before rising up and tapping loudly on your glass. You've stood on a rock to give yourself some leverage, and though part of you feels like a damn fool, the rest feels... kinda great about this whole weird thing.

"A'right, a'right- y'all know I ain't one fer speeches, so we'll keep it brief." Almond eyes glance among the assembled. "Us here're the people responsible fer keepin' Torchline's trade system goin'. An' keepin' it from goin' t'shit. An' if need be, keepin' th'rest'a Torch from shittin', too.

"Now we all heard tales'a strange goings on. World's gettin' bigger, an' we don' wanna be left behind. So I want y'all t'explore these wilds an' see what we can snag for tradin', 'fore anyone else does. We wanna be th'ones with supply 'fore the demand even happens, right?

"Also, there's weird fuckers comin' in from some place an' talkin' shit 'bout Ascended. Now y'all know I don' give a lick what god ya follow, but Torchline ain't a place where we judge people fer what they are - only what they do. So if y'see or hear any'a 'em assholes, give 'em a good Haole hello an' let me know about it, ok?"

Your piece done, you take a long swing of the drink. "Anyone got anythin' t'add?" And yeah, you're looking at Jack as you ask.

Lol guess who set a time limit and then forgot about it all

NO TIME LIMIT LOLOL, you don't have to post again but if you dooooo please add whether you'll be exploring as part of the guild or not. If you do and bring back information/loot it'll count as helping an organization for levelling ;D
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
JACK
More arrive, the din dies down, and Zeph clambers up on that little rock to start his speech. And Jack watches, listens, little more than a shadow on the wall as Zephyr blows smoke up their arses and incites them to explore. And he can't complain - his friend does a good job, the captain itching at his chin and flashing a sharp smile as the question is asked - does anyone have anything to add?

Obviously he does - when doesn't he?

"And what of the Governor?" he inquires - you can always count on Jack to stir the pot, of course. "You're on his council now. He gonna be trouble for us?" He raises his eyebrows. Of course there's more, and the look in his blue eyes suggests that much. That's for Zeph and Jack to discuss privately, of course; he just wants to make sure that there's not going to be any further unpleasantness while he's out at sea.
you wanted perfect, you got your perfect
but now I'm too perfect for someone like you
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret:

Magic: Passive Telepathy | The user can read the surface thoughts and emotions of those within a 30ft radius. Control is excellent. Note: "Thoughts and emotions" include anything written in a character's narration in a post.
Type: Grey | Rank: Mastered

Also branded with a small star tattoo beneath his left eye.

Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:

A panther in the night, a fire burning bright.

Ray hums as she considers Zephyr's words. Information would be valuable to her, as would any potential botanic resources. She had already been planning to explore the wilds for her own sake. And although she might not be an official guild member, she still benefited from their success and considered them allies. So what if she had to share some of her loot and information. The increase in her alliance with the guild as well as the potential help in exploring outweighed that.

Having made her decision, she speaks up. "I'll help out. I was already planning on exploring there anyway. If I find anything of use for you guys, I'll share. But do the same for me. If you find any bizarre plants, bring me back a sample please." She proposes her help to the guild.

Ray might not be an official member but she'll help so long as the guild in turn brings her back samples of any bizarre plants they discover.

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
and that the world is always our fault
when we did nothing, how did we do wrong?
Aurelia listened silently as Zephyr stepped up onto a rock and gave them all a speech, which she'd been expectantly awaiting since she arrived. Her eyes snapped around at everyone at the mention of the 'weird fuckers'. All she hoped was that she wasn't singled out for any reason, not knowing if she could admit what had happened in front of everyone currently present. It was humiliating, she felt ashamed of helping Gideon at all. But she knew she didn't want to actually make it a secret, or keep it from those that needed to know. So, she decided she'd have to wait until everyone left to take Zephyr aside.

Her gaze darts between Jack and Zeph as the question is aired about the governor. Her brows furrow and she wonders about that for the moment, as well. She personally felt like Sunjata wouldn't be a problem but, the past between the governor and the smugglers wasn't exactly... a peaceful one lacking in spite or bitterness. She knew some of what had happened between them, at least. Sunjata had warned her.

All of it brought up feelings that tightened her chest and, subconsciously, she leaned her shoulder against Milo's.

That was, except for the prospect of exploring... especially with a friend. Aurelia's looking at Ray as she thinks about this, as the other woman speaks up. "I can help you with that," she added with a smile directed at Ray before she was glancing over at Zephyr and Jack more seriously, "I know my way around jungles. That's all we had where I'm from. If there's anything valuable or special in there, I'll find it."

Aurelia's explorations will be for the Guild!

& she already has information to report, so she'll see ya soon, Zeph~

(I likely won't post again but Aurelia is still present for the rest of the meeting)
and I've been thinking that when we thought
the world would break us, that we weren't wrong
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
Good to see they're enthusiastic - some of them, anyway. You shrug at Jack's question, thinking of the 'Biter's weird behavior and opting not to comment on it in such a public setting. "I'm keepin' tabs on it," is the simple answer, your tone leaving room for further discussion at another time. You want to check in on what Jack knows, anyway, but that's less smuggler business and more keeping Torchline from burning down business.

The girls get nods when they volunteer to help, grateful and curt. And the others too, and then there's a little more small talk and shop talk and consumption of food. Slowly and steadily your merry band of miscreants amble or swim or boat their way out, until it's just you and Ki and the final lingerers and a few more things that need to be chatted about, with fewer ears to hear.

{fin}