white masks and red leaves
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
zephyr

Of course there's a shrine here, in the spooky blood woods.

Where else would a god hang out?

You hadn't planned on finding a shrine, and you certainly hadn't planned on praying. But now that you're here, well, it just kinda feels like fate. Or shit luck. Something between those two. You're already armed with a bag full of toys like some sort of scarred and grumpy Santa, gifts for Remi's little lad; surely Mateo would understand if you gave one up for your own kid?

Er, for Ludo, you mean- because Ray is dead. And you definitely aren't hoping to catch sight of him again.

Anyway this is a terrible idea, but before you can talk yourself out if it you're standing before the shrine, the little wooden statuette held between your hands. It's a carved shark, rather ingeniously made, with a button that will cause its mouth to open and close. You hold it and feel dumb as rocks, clearing your throat and shuffling your feet in the fallen pine. "Uh... I brought a toy. I was hopin' you could, y'know. Give it t'him. An' let 'im know I'm thinkin' 'bout 'im. An'... her too, I guess."
burn all the things you have to burn
save all the people you're supposed to save
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

"A land shark."

Ludo says it as though it's what Zeph intended all along, the little shark moving of its own accord. It chomps its way along the earth around the shrine, mouth opening and closing to gobble up the falling leaves. And eventually it rears up, held in a raggedy arm, and the deity appears before the dockhand, its masked head bobbing along with the shark's journey.

"I will give your message, sweetling. And your trinket, providing I might play with it for a while first." For a few days or decades, y'know - nothing huge. "You're a long way from the sea, sailor," it says then, and it doesn't matter that Zephyr gets seasick or has a bum arm or doesn't technically sail. Ludo knows his soul, and it belongs to the sea.

LUDO
Braved the forests, braved the stone
Braved the icy winds and fire
Braved and beat them on my own

Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
zephyr

A land shark. Seems like a weird bastardization of the sharks you're so familiar with, but who are you to protest against a god? Especially when said god has decided to give life to your creation, sending it swimming out of your hands and into the ground, and then into the hand of a thing that is definitely not your son. Relief and disappointment both choke in your throat, because you really did not want to see Ray and yet you're really bummed he isn't here.

Grass is always greener or someshit. You can't hold onto illusions forever, Zephyr. You know that much by now.

"'Course," you grumble, because, again, not about to say no to a god. The bulk of your task divested, you now find yourself shuffling uneasily, digging one booted toe into the fallen leaves. "Aye," you agree lamely, staring hard at the trees, the ground- anything but the masked little deity that's not wearing your son's face. "Thought I'd come'n check on yer... Remi. Whatever he is to ya." Vassal? Servant? Pet? Whatever it is, you're just as happy not knowing. You'd rather not be beholden to a god.

Though, that said, this visit isn't entirely selfless. "Actually, was wonderin' if ya could help me with somethin'." See, you've heard more and more about gods helping people out with shit, and with all the new routes and lands suddenly accessible you've had your hands a little full. "Lookin' for a map. Somethin' that'll work wherever I'm at. Any chance ya got anythin' like that?"
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Pleased with the response (and really, was it ever going to be anything but a yes?), Ludo lets the shark disappear into its rags and settles before Zephyr properly. It looks strange at the shrine like this, as if it should be cross-legged, but of course ragged cloth cannot do such a thing. Still, the mask bobs and weaves and waits for the sailor to get to the point. And when he does, oh boy. Ludo's rags clap together like hands, and its mask nods enthusiastically.

"Now that would be something," it agrees. "A map that changes wherever you are, like a lamp lighting the way?" It tilts its head, as if asking the man whether this is an accurate description. "Not easy, though. No no no."

LUDO

Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr

Talking to a bundle of rags with a mask is weird, but not as weird as talking to your dead kid who's actually a bundle of rags with a mask so you know what? You'll take it. You watch the weird little god settle in atop its shrine, trying not to let the word cute flash into your minds. Gods aren't cute, especially death gods. They're tricky, wicked, clever, heartless. They fuck with mortals and leave them in pieces.

And here you are, trying to bargain with one.

"Yeah, sorta," you agree, nodding speculatively. "'Cept readable. So I can see where I'm at, goin', all that." 'Course it ain't easy. Nothing worth having is easy. For a minute you consider giving up on the whole thing because the last thing you need is to be indebted to a god, but man, you came this far - might as well go all in. You suck in a skeptical breath, raising a scarred brow. "How hard we talkin' here?"
Spooky Rags

Change author:

"You're asking to see the world before ever seeing the world." Ludo's mask is smiling, and it isn't all that pleasant a smile. "It will be very difficult, sweetling. But not impossible. First there is the making of it. You will require a branch from a tree in the Greatwood, ink from a squid in Torchline, obsidian from the Spire in the Hollowed Grounds, stone from the walls of Stormbreak and ashes from a fire in Halo."

The requests are reeled off as if they are nothing. Ludo nods, thinking that will do for now. "Once you have those items, return to one of my shrines and we shall put it all together."

Zephyr has received a quest from Ludo! He must complete threads to collect the following:

- A branch from a tree in the Greatwood
- Squid ink from Torchline
- Obsidian from the Spire
- Stone from the walls of Stormbreak
- Ashes from a fire in Halo
LUDO

Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr

Yeah, basically. The not-exactly-smile on the mask-face-monstrosity does very little (read: absolutely nothing) to make you feel better about the decisions you've made to lead you to this point, but uh, in for a penny in for a pound. It's probably too late to say y'know what, actually I'm good. You've asked a god for a favor, after all.

Stupid Zephyr. When will you learn?

At least a couple of those things will be easy, though Stormbreak? Gods know you haven't the foggiest how to get to that den of depravity and racism. Still you nod your head, asking nothing more of the raggedy thing. You know better than to indebt yourself further into the clutches of a god.

"Right. I'll get on that, then." Without waiting to be told (you know when you're dismissed), you turn on your heel and amble away. And if you're walking a little faster than is strictly necessary, hey, who can blame you? You've had enough of this spooy forest shit for one good day.

{fin}