{open} know thine enemy
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
To the Ascended and/or those familiar with them: I would like to learn more about the Ascended, as a people and as individuals. If anyone is willing to educate me, I will be at the Temple in the Hollowed Grounds every day at noon for the next week.

I do not intend to ask for strategically significant information, nor will I attack anyone, physically or verbally. I simply want to put faces and details to the concept of "the Ascended."

Juniper had agonized a bit over the wording of her Notice Board post, but she should have known that the true agony would come now, as she sat in the Temple at the first of the appointed times and waited for someone to approach her. Anyone seeking to answer the note should have no trouble identifying her, since she was -- as usual in the Hollowed Grounds -- the only Fae in sight. In fact, she was getting plenty of stares and whispers from passersby. But, thus far, no one had actually come up and talked to her ... she could only hope that would change.
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
and the sky was littered with the corpses of stars
They’ve become quite good at reading – what, with growing up rather quickly as well as never needing to sleep, plus it meant they could go through all those wonderful dusty old books at the Atheneum to help give them ideas on how to fix the Ruins here, even if Auntie Wessex had said it would take a while and wasn’t particularly a requirement right now… Given, well, everything.

So they had spied the notice board post, had made a note to arrive when the Fae said she would be there. They had read books on them, had understood that they would be shorter and winged, and there’s a bit of excitement that blossoms through them as they search the Temple for her. Of course, ensuring that them speaking with Juniper was approved beforehand – not wanting to end up like the stories and fears they’ve heard as they’ve grown older.

Perhaps this might change things, right? They don’t have much to offer by ways of education, but they do know that being Ascended is all they’ve ever known. They’ve been made. What would happen to their bright future if they ceased to exist in the end, after all?

So they arrive with a bright grin, excitement leaking out from them even if the other people that walk by simply stare and whisper. Their hand waves before they’re moving to stand before her. “Hello! I’m Azrael!” The introduction is quick, a hand rising to press against their chest in true Bastien-taught dramatics. “I’m Ascended!” And a demigod, though they’re sure that part will come out later. Best not to bombard the poor woman with their teenage excitement of this new venture.
this one night, i saw a million lightyears pass
Azrael
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper had expected a lot of things when she'd put that notice up -- harsh words, hostility, perhaps even physical attacks -- but she hadn't expected a child. She looked at Azrael with bemusement; fortunately her manners took precedence, so at least she could start out well. "Hello, Azrael. My name is Juniper. Thank you for coming to talk to me. Would you sit with me?"

She gestured to a bench at the edge of the Temple where they could sit and talk comfortably. Then she added, "You're quite young for an Ascended, at least to my knowledge. When did you Ascend?"

The words The Order want to destroy all Ascended and a 16-year-old girl had her throat cut floated through Juniper's mind, but she tried not to let any of the distress they caused show on her face.

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
It’s nice to meet you Juniper!” They say, before their head is bobbing in agreement and excitement, to follow the Fae to the space where they may sit. And they do, smoothing out the clothes they wear, turning their dark ochre eyes ringed in sapphire to the Fae beside them, a bright fanged smile given back to the woman.

The question of being young isn’t surprising to them, but the question of when they Ascended, is. Dark brows raise a bit before they shake their head, the smile remaining. “Oh I didn’t Ascend. I was made!” The excited chime leaves their lips before they settle their excitement a bit more. “My mama wanted to have a baby but she Ascended for her safety. Papa’s Ascended too. So they asked the Voice and… Well… They made me.” Clasping their hands in their lap, they pause for a few moments trying to gather their thoughts.

I was made last year. And a couple of weeks or maybe a month? I’m not sure— Anyway, last LongNight my mama died. So it’s just been Papa and me, and I’m growing fast.” Their legs bounce a bit on the floor as they focus their thoughts again. “I think maybe it’s to help him.” Not with anything close to war things or talk of it… But to be there for Bastien, a piece of Rexanna their father can hold onto.
Azrael
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"Ah." That was a lot of information for Juniper to take in, but it also explained a lot. The idea of the Voice making a child for her followers was fascinating and a little disturbing, though Juniper tried not to take that interpretation -- she didn't want to offend Azrael by giving them any sign of doubt or disgust.

"You really are growing fast, if you're only a year old." That timeline also meant that Azrael had been born after the Fae's attack on the Greatwood. Not that Juniper would have held them accountable for it even if they had been alive then -- they were clearly a child, not a warrior. But they had never known a world where the Ascended and the Fae were not at odds, a world in which they might have been permitted to walk the Greatwood.

Juniper decided to be open about her reaction, minus the "disturbing" part: "That's really fascinating. I had no idea the Voice could make children. What ... Hm. I don't suppose you have anything to compare it to, but I would love to know what it's like to be you."

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
It was a lot of information and they haven’t quite gotten to the point of understanding how to give a little in order to digest it better. But they don’t see anything wrong with how Juniper responds to them, if anything it’s only bolstering their prior excitement and want to learn more and more. So the grin that they offer is bright, their head bobbing in agreement. They had grown fast. They were still growing. They weren’t exactly sure when they’d stop.

However, as Juniper comments on it, they take her reaction and run with it. “She’s very nice.” They say with determination with it, having known nothing but good things from their goddess, having not heard anything of the attacks with the Mathair, having not heard anything of the reasons why so many wished they didn’t exist anymore.

But they do their best to still appear patient, a sort of awkwardness within them in their stillness – having never needed to breathe before, they don’t feign it like most Ascended – instead, simply watching curiously. “It’s… Good. I don’t sleep and I like to make things so I can spend all day and night reading and making things.” Their head swings back toward the entrance of the temple, dark curls bouncing around the frame of their face. “I want to make nice places like this is. For everyone.” Because they’re not picky, they haven’t seen the hardships and anger from those outside of their little bubble.

No, in fact, Juniper was the first they got to speak with. So their head swings back toward her. “I read about the Fae before coming here to meet with you!” Another bright smile is offered her way. “I heard that the Fae are the ones that taught all of us the capturing the sun tradition! And even though… I can’t go near the sun or be out in it, it’s pretty to look at. I like the stories of it. Do you have any stories I could hear?
Azrael
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
For all her desire not to argue with Azrael, not to put them off, Juniper couldn't help frowning a little when they described the Voice as "very nice." Maybe she was ... to her followers. All Juniper knew of the goddess was that she had ordered the attack on the Fae, and was therefore culpable for it.

As she continued to listen to Azrael, Juniper's frown deepened a little. She could see that the child lived in a pleasant bubble, and she wasn't sure whether it was appropriate for her to pop it. Someone had to, someday, but perhaps that better came from a friend than a stranger -- but would Azrael's friends, their Ascended family, ever really show them the harsh realities of the world? Above all, Juniper didn't want to be cruel.

So she asked gently: "Nice places like the Hollowed Grounds?"

Wessex's description of the Grounds swam into her minds: the place's own Queen had called it a shithole. Presumably she had not shared that opinion with Azrael.

Then Azrael asked for tales of the Fae, and Juniper had to smile. Oh, most of her people would have taken such a request poorly -- would have asked if the Ascended had not yet taken enough from them, that they wanted their stories as well -- but Juniper didn't mind. The more the two peoples knew about each other, she hoped, the less they would want to exterminate each other.

"A story ... Well, it's Leafchange, which means that we have to be on the lookout for memory puddles. Every so often, when you look into a puddle in the Greatwood, you'll see something other than a reflection -- you'll catch a glimpse of the future, of things yet to come."

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
It’s true, they haven’t learned much about what had happened — had simply been created, raised in a loving home with a single father who was doing his best with an inquisitive child. There was still so much to learn, but perhaps it might all make sense once they age some more. For the time being, however, the teenager watches Juniper with soft and amused eyes, shaking their head at her question. “No… Like the Temple.” A hand extends out to show the newness of it all, the people filtering in and out, the liveliness of it all.

I haven’t really been anywhere else, but… I have seen the Ruins and I want to build it up and make it nice again, so people might want to stay here with us too.” A bright shimmering gleam of hope sparks in their eyes as they flash another fanged grin to the Fae.

But they settle quite quickly, stilling with an unnatural stillness and surprisingly unblinking eyes — having forgotten part of the lessons Bastien had told them to remain somewhat normal appearing, and listens intently to the story Juniper shares. The grin remains, their eyes growing big and wide, dark brows rising so the curls of their hair block them from view. “Wow!” They begin, taking a moment to let their mind think on it all. “That’s really exciting! Do you get a lot of puddles there?” They begin to start falling over themselves with the questions. “What’s it like to live under all the trees? I think it would be really nice. Are they really big?” Of course, they haven’t seen the Greatwood, they haven’t been anywhere near it.
Azrael
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"I see," Juniper said, a smile touching her face. Yes, the Temple was rather nicer than the Hollowed Grounds as a whole. But: "The shrine here is dedicated to the Old Gods," she commented, trying to sound as if this were a neutral piece of information. It would be interesting to know what Azrael thought of the Old Gods, but she didn't want to influence them into a certain opinion -- or bring up a potential bone of contention.

"That would be a good project," Juniper agreed. Anything that would make the Ascended more satisfied with the Hollowed Grounds, and therefore less likely to run around the rest of Caido making trouble, had her seal of approval. Besides, the non-Ascended people of the Grounds deserved a good life too. "Do you have ideas for how you'd like the Ruins to look?"

The fangs, the lack of a blink -- all of that might have unsettled Juniper if Azrael's excitement weren't so cute. She smiled. "We get our fair share of puddles in Leafchange, but more in Flowerbirth -- the memory puddles only form in Leafchange, though. The trees are quite large, of course. The Mathair is -- was -- among the largest."

Oh, damn. She hadn't really intended to bring up the subject of the Mathair; it had just slipped out, among her thoughts of big and beautiful trees. For a moment, Juniper went quiet.

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
She’s here too.” They say with a chime, a softer smile on their face at the mention of the shrine being dedicated to the Old Gods. On the outside, it certainly was, but they could go and pray to it and they’re sure the Voice would hear them, she may even show. But they don’t admit all of that, just the fact that she’s there mixed among the rest of the shrine.

As for the project, though, they’re practically beaming as they bob their head in agreement. “Yes!” They say, moving to stand quite quickly so they can pat their pockets of their clothes, searching for the little book they kept with them. Once they’ve found it, they settle beside her again, opening the book to quite impressive sketches of homes and fluid designs, something far more advanced than their preteen brain could likely manage – but it showed just how much they absorbed their reading and had their father’s attention to detail.

They let her look at it for however long she likes, focusing on the comments of puddles and Leafchange, of Flowerbirth and how there’s usually more, nodding again until she stops at the Mathair, their brows drawing together in curiosity. “Oh no." They pause, sadness trickling through the tones of their voice. "What happened to it?” Because they didn’t know, but were curious, what could tear down such a large tree, if it were something that they should be concerned about, or better yet if it were something they could help try to fix.
Azrael
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper thought about that for a second. Some Fae would have recoiled at the idea of the Voice invading the Old Gods' sanctuary, and Juniper herself had no love for the "New Gods," not when the Voice had ordered her goddess's murder. But she doubted the Ascended would give up their goddess, so if there was to be peace, the pantheon would have to coexist at some point. Maybe Azrael's Temple was an example for all of them to follow.

Still, she didn't reply verbally, moving on to look at Azrael's sketches. "Oh, wow. You've really put a lot of thought and work into this. And these are very well done. If I lived in the Hollowed Grounds, you would have my support."

This was a future she wanted to see -- building and rebuilding, not war and destruction. So she lingered a bit over Azrael's designs, almost wishing she could promote them somehow, but that was not her role. That was an internal issue for the Grounders, and unless they asked for help -- unlikely in the current political climate -- they probably wouldn't want a Fae poking her nose in to say what they should do. Even if they did ask, the Fae as a people would probably refuse; in their minds, the Grounders and their Queen still owed them for the whole Mathair thing.

And then it was time for the sticky question. Juniper had hoped Azrael wouldn't ask so directly, but she couldn't lie, of course; nor did she want to avoid the question. They had to find out someday, and it might help if they heard the story from a Fae, instead of whatever sanitized version the Ascended might feed them. Though Juniper would try to break the news gently. "Two years ago, a party of Ascended entered the Greatwood and burned down the Mathair. They ... also killed a number of the Fae who sought to defend her. Ever since, our goddess has remained silent to our prayers."

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Perhaps it’s easier that Juniper doesn’t make any comment in regards to the Voice being among the Old Gods here in this temple, and instead they can pull their journal out of notes and sketches, of things they wished to see the Grounds and the Ruins turned into, a monumental task, but one that they were sure they could do in their hopefully very long lifetime. As it stood now, however, Azrael can’t help the grin that spreads across their face as Juniper takes it all in. “Thank you!” It’s an excited sound of gratitude that leaves them, until of course they settle again, to ask of what occurred with the Mathair.

And all sources of excitement and contentness begin to dissipate, the smile faltering slightly until it’s entirely gone, their head cocking to the side as they try to wrap their mind around it, dark eyebrows knitting together in their confusion, concern, and horror.

Why…” They begin, dark eyes focused on Juniper with the intensity the Ascended were known for having. “Why would they do that?” They can’t understand the need for such a thing, can’t understand what required taking a life and destroying a goddess – though of course, they’re still young, surely they’d understand in a roundabout away at some point.

As for their goddess becoming silent, that is perhaps more horrifying to them, a frown slipping along their face quite quickly. “Will she come back?” They ask, softer now, concern weighing heavily on their mind n ow.
Azrael
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper sighed. Here they went. But at least Azrael had responded with questions, not outright disbelief or defensiveness -- or even doubt. That was a good sign.

"I don't really know the answer to either of those questions," Juniper said. She could tell Azrael simply that the Voice ordered the Ascended's attack, that they should ask the Voice -- but Juniper didn't want to make so direct an assault on Azrael's worldview. Besides, she suspected the Voice would feed the child a sugarcoated version of the story, one full of justifications and rationalizations.

Many Fae would have gone the opposite route, would have told Azrael that the Ascended had attacked because they were simply evil and grasping and could never be trusted. But this obviously wasn't part of the diplomatic conversation and sincere exchange of ideas that Juniper had come here for. Instead she went for a more neutral and objective explanation: "The strike against the Mathair opened a portal. I believe that was the motivation for it."

As for the Mathair's potential return ... Juniper would have liked to tell Azrael that they were working on it, but that information might reach Wessex, and it could turn out to be strategically significant. So she opted for a less-complete truth: "We don't know if she'll ever come back. We're not even sure she still lives at all."

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
They don’t know the answer to them either, they don’t know what could have compelled the Voice to want to do such a thing. But what they do know, is that they get a sinking pit in their stomach, one that has their fingers fiddling against their notebook as if searching for an outlet. It’s a lot to process, Azrael having never heard anything bad of the Voice, having to suddenly understand that things weren’t so simple, that some of their family had done some terrible things.

Even still, they chew on the inside of their cheek, bronze and sapphire eyes flitting to Juniper with brows knitted together. It makes sense, but it begs the question why they had to do that one, why not talk to them first, why go in blazing and making enemies. But they don’t know the answer to that either, they don’t think Juniper would too, and so their shoulders slump in a bit of deflation.

So that’s why we’re not allowed to go?” They ask quietly, even if their intentions weren’t for any harm, it feels like they don’t even know the rest of their family that well if there was something like this they were capable of, that they had kept hidden from them. “I’m sorry.” They say quieter now, mulling it over as their head lowers a bit, thinking. They want to offer their help, but they don’t know how that would go over either, and so they simply settle, thinking, coming up with nothing.
Azrael