{open} know thine enemy
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
It tore Juniper's heart to see Azrael, previously so lively and enthusiastic, reduced to such a state. She had to remind herself that this was necessary, that they had to discover the harsh truths of the world eventually -- though she might wish that she had not had to be the one to enlighten them.

"Yes," Juniper said. "After the attack, our queen, Delah, outlawed the Ascended from the Greatwood."

And now Juniper sought retaliation -- no, justice, she reminded herself. She didn't think she'd mention that to Azrael, though; they seemed hurt enough by the act itself, without mentioning the ongoing conflict, the potential threat to their "family." If Azrael didn't already know that there were people in the world who would see them die just for being Ascended, Juniper did not intend to tell them.

"Thank you," Juniper added. "I appreciate your sympathy."

At least she assumed it was sympathy, and not guilt, that drove Azrael's "sorry." If they apologized further, though, she would be sure to tell them that they had nothing to apologize for; they hadn't had anything to do with the attack -- they hadn't even been born yet.
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
and the sky was littered with the corpses of stars
Juniper explains the reasons why, and for the first time Azrael understands. Because the Greatwood was the Fae’s home and someone had effectively gone into it and harmed and taken so much – how would they feel if that were to happen to them? If someone were to break into their home and take and destroy the things they and their father loved? They decide they wouldn’t let them in either, even if it doesn’t help the deflation of Azrael wanting to see more of the world, to learn from so many others to better extend their understanding of how people built things as opposed to the ruins here.

But they’re not entirely sure how to say that, instead, bobbing their head in understanding – dark curls bouncing around their face before their gaze lifts to Juniper’s face as they offer their apology. It is in sympathy, Azrael having no idea who was all involved in it, but simply knowing that regardless of how long it had been it likely still hurt. “Even though I’m not allowed to go… I’d like to help somehow if I can.” They offer, a bit more optimistic this time, suddenly uncaring of what their father or Family think.

If they can help, they would like to.
this one night, i saw a million lightyears pass
Azrael
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper's eyes widened; she was genuinely quite surprised by Azrael's reaction. She'd expected doubt, denial -- helpless sorrow, in a best-case scenario. The last thing she'd anticipated was for Azrael, or any Ascended, to reach out to their supposed enemies and ask how they could help.

They were a child, and perhaps Juniper ought to have expected their child's understanding of the world, an understanding that did not take into account concepts like "hate" or "blood feud" or "retaliation." But she respected them all the more for their offer of assistance, however impractical. It meant something to Juniper that they wanted to help, that their first reaction was to offer aid. Ascended or not, Azrael was a good kid.

"I'm not sure if there is any way you can help," Juniper admitted. She could have asked Azrael to pressure Wessex for her, to promote her trial idea, she supposed -- but that seemed cruel and underhanded, to manipulate a child like that. Plus, she wasn't sure she wanted to introduce to Azrael the idea that members of their family might get hurt on the Fae's behalf, even if it was just. "We don't know yet if there's any way to bring the Mathair back."

That she could say, she felt, without making it clear that the Fae were trying to revive their goddess -- a fact she didn't really want making its way back to Wessex.

"I truly appreciate your offer, though," Juniper added, seriously, according Azrael the same respect she would have given an adult who sought to aid the Fae -- someone like Gideon. "If I do discover a way you can help, I would like to get in touch with you, if that's all right."

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
They haven’t been involved enough to know that the Fae were enemies. They had been told to be careful when meeting Juniper, but there hasn’t been much else. A sort of… Peace agreement that meant that both would remain safe. And really? The last thing they want to do is hurt someone. Perhaps that is why it horrifies them so much, the idea of it all.

Their eyes are wide as they focus on Juniper, as she tells them that she isn’t sure if there is a way they can help. Their head bobs in understanding, having at least offered it, realizing now that it’s the only thing that they could feasibly do. Still, it isn’t the end of it, their eyes watching Juniper again with that same stillness as she mentions that there could be a chance. “That’s alright with me.” They say with a soft smile curling their lips. “You could send a letter to the Artist’s Sanctuary?” Their head tilts curiously, bright eyes watchful of Juniper and how she’d take that information.

Not exactly a weapons area, but a space built for art, built by their father with nothing in mind of wars or battles. A place for art and love. "Are there any... Questions I could try to answer for you?" They ask after a heartbeat of a moment, remembering what the point of their meeting was.
Azrael
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper nodded, her face and tone serious. "I'll keep that in mind."

She meant it: despite Azrael's age, Juniper thought they could be an important ally to have, in the right situation. Oh, Juniper didn't want to trick or manipulate the young Ascended into acting against their people's interests -- rather, she hoped that their offer to help would be fulfilled someday, in a way that benefited both the Fae and the Ascended. Eventually they had to learn to live, if not as friends, then as neighbors. Didn't they?

Not if the Order gets their way, whispered a voice in the back of Juniper's mind, but she ignored it.

Right. Questions. That was why she'd asked Azrael to come here, wasn't it? She'd grown so engrossed in talking to them that she'd forgotten if she actually needed to know anything more.

"Hmm ... I think we've already given each other a lot to think about." Juniper had told Azrael about the Mathair, and Azrael had proven to Juniper, if any further proof were needed, the cruelty of the Order's intent. "Though I might ask about your fellow Ascended. How do you feel about them?"

Juniper would have asked Azrael what they thought about the Ascended's plans, too, but that veered dangerously close to strategic information, especially since Juniper wasn't sure what those plans actually were.

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
A smile crosses their face when she mentions that they’ve given each other a lot to think about. It’s true, there’s so much that Azrael has to mull over, has to figure out how to ask their father, a part of them wondering whether or not Bastien was a part of it all. And wouldn’t that be a horrible blow.

A question is given next, however, something that they can both answer and… Not answer, in a sense. “They’ve been good to me.” They say at first, thinking it over. “I don’t see them very often but when I was little, a few of them watched me for my Papa.” They admit, a softer fanged smile crossing their face. “They haven’t been around since then.” Mabel and Evelyn, long gone, their whereabouts unknown to Azrael specifically and yet…

Perhaps if they asked they’d find out they weren’t ever coming back. But they don’t know this, and they can’t offer much else. “I want to try and ask them to help me make the Ruins better. I think they would help.” They offer a bit more resolution with their tone, a feeling that they likely could get their family to help them with that task.

But of other things? They don’t know what else to say.
Azrael
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper wasn't sure what answer she'd expected to her question, but she wasn't surprised by the one she got. Of course the Ascended had been good to Azrael -- they must have been their people's pride and joy, a child miraculously granted by their goddess, a sign of her favor and what she could do for her faithful. And, absent any such theological implications, they were a charming kid.

"That sounds like a good idea," Juniper replied. Fixing up the Ruins would be a worthy project for anyone, even without the hope that focusing their energies at home might keep the Ascended out of trouble. And she didn't doubt that the Ascended would be willing to help Azrael; seeing their drawings -- and their enthusiasm -- she'd half wanted to volunteer herself. "I think they would help too. Together, you could build something remarkable."

Juniper hesitated then, unsure if she had anything else to ask Azrael. "Well, I wouldn't want to keep you too long ..."

table by Skylark
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
They nod as Juniper agrees that it would be a good idea, a softer edge to their smile despite all the information they’d had. And as she mentions that she thinks they would help, even, bolsters some of the worries that sat in the pit of their stomach, the uncertainty of whether it was a good enough cause for it. It seems as though many shared the same idea they did, and they file that thought away for later too.

Baby steps, as it were.

Thank you.” They say softly, offering her a far more grateful smile than before, easing into the conversation between them now that it’s drifted from darker waters. However, they have nothing else to ask Juniper either, and when Juniper mentions that she doesn’t want to keep them long, they’re already reaching to grab their little sketchbook and the bag they’d brought, stuffing it into it as they hop up to stand, offering a nod to the Fae woman politely. “It was good to meet you Juniper. I hope you find what you’re looking for.” They say, leaving it ambiguous enough to mean either the Mathair or what it was she was doing meeting them all here.

Either way, they offer a bright fanged grin, before turning on their heel and slipping out of the Temple the way they had come.

- FIN <333 TY!!
Azrael