Who’s gonna save the day?
Neron~
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE

It very nearly feels like he’s spent more time in the VlamVloed than he has at home recently, though the more rational part of Nate knows that’s just angry venom lashing out at everything. Doesn’t mean it isn’t satisfying to lean into. The doctor cuts quite the imposing picture sitting at the bar, heavy boots and a dark jacket doing a fraction of the work his burning gaze does in keeping a wide circle of personal space around him.

Better late than never is the usual saying, but this meeting would have gone far better had it happened earlier. Crisis dictates his schedule more and more these days, and it’s showing few signs of stopping.

Nate shifts, stretching, and tries to tilt his viewpoint with the movement. This is a break, of a kind, and it’s not as if he’s left Sunjata alone to slowly go crazy alone this time. And... it would be a lie to say he isn’t looking forward to actually speaking with Neron, though the thought fills him with guilt, Safrins trinket a heavy weight on him.

So he sits and waits and works his way through most of an utterly useless bottle, ready to discuss the looming threat on the horizon.
You got me actin' like the old me
But you don't even know me
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
There are more threats than not these days, and they press in on all sides. Still, that does not hasten Neron's steps through the Hollowed Grounds; it does not make him panicky or quick to react. And when he arrives at the VlamVloed, it's with a curious eye, noting its differences to the Kraai as he strolls towards the counter. And when he gets to it, he sinks down onto the barstool next to Nate, snagging an empty glass and holding it out that the other man might pour him a measure of whatever he's drinking.

"I didn't take you for a man who drinks alone," he says, slanting a smile his way. "Sorry it took so long for us to meet again. It's going to be strange, doing this whole thing without Wessex." Strange, incredibly dangerous, terrifying. All the same thing really, if he thought about it.
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE

”Neron.” Nate says by way of greeting, not looking up right away. ”I’m not a man who drinks alone.” Even jokes come out in a rumbly growl, the very edges of Nate’s lips tugging upwards. And just to illustrate, a generous helping of the very cheap bottle he’s partaking in is poured into Neron’s outstretched glass. In nearly the same motion, Nate’s own glass is emptied and refilled, the doctor shifting to sit up a touch straighter, letting the weight of his gaze pass over the other man in a lazy appraisal.

The apology doesn’t merit a response past a one armed shrug and the shaking of Nate’s head. It’s been a strange, shitty season, and he’s glad it’s over, glad that things can return to some semblance of normal right? right?. ”I don’t think she’d have left if she didn’t think we could handle ourselves.” Even if he gets no other benefit from it, the alcohol helps to soften the edges off his voice. Gods know it’s not the subject; talk of their hunters, of their suicidal sounding Longnight plans not exactly making for light, easy conversation.

Might as well dove in headfirst then. ”So...” Well, his grand beginning stutters out almost immediately. He tips his head towards Neron, his brows lifting as his glass does, very pointedly passing the ball into his court.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
"You certainly are not," Neron agrees as his glass is filled, tipping it to Nate in a toast and taking a generous drink. He is apparently in a much better mood than the doctor, and he has to stop from smirking at how rough and ready he sounds. "Something on your mind, other than the obvious?" he asks, tilting his head. He didn't take the other man as the type to let a little potential murderous death get in the way of a good time.

And then, even more than the bad mood, suddenly the plans are in Neron's lap. He snorts - Nate is lucky he was a Warden this time last year. "So," he repeats with a smirk. "I've heard the Hollowed Grounds need preparation to deal with Longnight in general, so we should probably help to get on that. And we need to know who is here and what kind of role they're going to play in this. I'll also comb through Theskyra House, see if I can find any plans Wessex left behind."
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Something on his mind? Nate all but rolls his eyes, a snort leaving him as he shakes his head. "Nothing I can't figure out myself." There is no small amount of prickliness to the words, a warning to not bring it up, to focus solely on this crisis. It's the kind of thing he can only carry on his shoulders so long as it isn't disturbed, and this is neither the time or the person to unload on.

Longnight plans first then. Easy. "As far as I know, everyone's been told to spend Longnight elsewhere. Torchline at least is preparing to house as many people as it can. With any luck, it'll just be us left here." Luck being relative here, of course, though just having ascended in the Grounds while they fought the monsters would make everything a fair bit simpler. "I've put out some feelers for fire-based weapons, and I've gotten a few things lined up." Nate throws back the rest of his glass, leaving it empty and turning to face Neron more. "I can't imagine there's a lot in the way of plans, other than try to not die." A rueful chuckle accompanies the words.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
"Noted." And that's that, honestly. Neron isn't the type to pry, and Nate isn't the type to talk, and that's fine. He takes another generous drink, knocking it back and offering out his empty cup for another. Between them they could likely get through a few of these bottles and barely feel it. Neron's game if the other man is.

He nods along with his fellow Ascended's explanations, honestly glad to hear that most people will be gone from the Grounds who aren't dealing with the monsters. "All we can do is warn people and give them the opportunity to get out of here. Luck will have to control the rest," he says, waving an imperious hand. It's a helluva lot better than doing nothing at all.

As for the rest? "I like to be a little more prepared than try not to die," he murmurs. "Fire-based weapons are a good idea, though obviously we will have to be careful ourselves. Perhaps we can lay traps before LongNight? Make it so we can corral or corner the monsters?"
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

The empty glass is filled on reflex, Nate filling his own to the brim and swallowing back most of it. There was a time when this had made up most of his nights, and while he doesn't miss it in quite the same way anymore, he does still miss being able to just shut his mind off after a point.

"That's a good idea." Nate leans in, suddenly focused, a hand coming up to gesture as he works his way through the thicket of thought. "If we can somewhat control how they reach us, we can bend things in our advantage." He can see it now, in his mind's eye, the streets blocked off, funnelling in towards some central point, maybe near the temple, to give them a place to retreat to, if need be. Without a word, he lifts himself, reaching over the counter and fumbling around for a scrap of paper, a bit of dark chalk.

The plans he has are scribbled down, a rough rough map of the Grounds sketched out, dark lines meant to represent barriers at key points. "There's probably a better way to lay it out," the admission is quick, brushed past, "but what do you think of this?"
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
It is an interesting thing, the way Ascension treats different people, and Neron cannot help but note the fatigue that lays upon Nate's shoulders regardless of whether physical sensation allows it. He accepts the refill, of course, sipping at his drink in a much more measured pace, letting the silence draw out as the other man absorbs what he has said. Steel blue eyes flick up, then, when he suddenly becomes animated, Neron glancing down at the sheet of paper, the rough map that spiders out along it.

"Why thank you," he says of his good idea, a smile curling up the corners of his lips. Leaning over to examine the map more closely, he notes the key barrier points with a quick and practiced eye, nodding along with the lines of thought he can see Nate has made. "Regardless, I think this ought to be added to rather than rearranged. It would be good to pool our resources at Theskyra House as well, I think. There's such a thing as divide and conquer, but I do not think it belongs here."

Any Ascended wandering around alone during Longnight is as much of a meal for monsters as any other race, after all.
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

"Theskyra house..?" Nate considers his map, running his tongue over his bottom lip, then rubbing a few lines away with his thumb to replace them with others, making the house more central instead of the temple. "More like that then. And..." The hand holding the chalk waves, a physical embodiment of his thoughts, trying to take off. "Some kind of defence from airborne things too. I don't know, spikes, or... something." He isn't a tactician, in any sense of the word, isn't used to engagements like this, where he actually had the room and time to plan.

Even without the weight of everything on his shoulders, he'd be spinning in circles, driving himself further and further into an overwrought spiral.

Forgotten until this moment, Nate reaches out and grasps his glass roughly, nearly spilling the amber liquid in it in his haste to throw it down his throat, refilling it again and holding the bottle out in a silent offer to top up Neron's glass as well, before he goes ahead and fills it anyway, emptying the bottle. "Maybe," maybe he's getting ahead of himself, "we can maintain a line of bonfires or something. If we can get enough fuel to last."
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
"Mm, it seems like more of an important place than the Temple this LongNight. I could be wrong though." Honestly, it doesn't particularly matter which point is central, so long as something is. And at the mention of spikes against the airborne threats, he's got just the thing. With a fanged smile, he reaches out towards the little map. "Leave that to me." He opens his palm facing upwards, revealing a few razor sharp icicles formed from his water manipulation. On a larger scale, of course, it could be very useful.

He's barely got time to hold out his glass before Nate's throwing more liquor into it, Neron reaching out to shake away the icicles and brush a drop of booze from their genius plan. "Perhaps there will be someone around with an item that produces fire," he suggests. "Unfortunately it isn't a skill I possess. I don't think Morgan does either." He knows she doesn't, but the element of doubt is an important distinction.
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

”Once we figure out for sure where we’ll be holed up, we can figure out where to block.” The temple, Theskyra house, it didn’t matter so long as they had somewhere to retreat to, somewhere defensible. Leaning in and lifting a Singtel brow in response to the sharp grin, Nate finds himself grinning at the spikes growing out of the Hailstorms palm. ”You've got some tricks up your sleeve, huh?” An approving rumble, as he reaches out to poke at an ice spike, testing its sturdiness before its shaken away.

”I know someone with fire magic, but I’m not sure if it’s worth bothering her about it. She’s still weak with it.” And for what they’re doing they need a conflagration, not an ember. ”Sunjata has a few blades that should be useful.” Nate lapses into a moment of silence, sipping his drink before he glances up at his fellow ascended, brows pinched together. ”The Warden? Isn’t she in Halo anyway?”
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
Humming his agreement, Neron nods and lets his eyes flick over the map for a beat or two more; the sooner they decided where they would be staging their siege, the better. Still, at least they could work on other things in the meantime, like the nature of their defences. Nate prods at the icicles sprouting from his palm and Neron promptly crushes the ice, nodding to his fellow Ascended. "A few," he says of the tricks up his sleeve. "It always pays to have something to hand, I find."

Like the fire magic Nate mentions (weak though it might be), or the blades from the Advocates' guildmaster. They lapse into a comfortable sort of silence, both musing on the possibilities of their defences, no doubt, and Neron only glances up as talk turns to the Warden. "Not right now she isn't," he murmurs. "She heard the plight of the Ascended against the LongNight monsters, and wanted to offer her assistance and expertise. Call it lending a hand in a political sense." No mention of their current status with each other. Nope. Not a word.
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Always having something up your sleeve, something that can save you, or at least give you an edge, is something Nate can understand. And he finds his mind drifting, as his fingers tap against his glass, the bit of chalk in his hand wearing a dark mark into the paper, trying to figure out if there are any other resources he can tap into.

"Huh." The words are surprising enough that they seem to tug Nate out of his slump, even more than the planning had. His response is weighed carefully, rolled over his tongue before he actually speaks. "I wouldn't have thought she was the type to give a fuck. She seems..." He wants to say this tactfully, knowing that Neron had been Warden not too long ago, that he was still involved, in some way, with the upper crust of Halo. "She seems like the type who'd rub elbows with the old gods. And their," he waves his hand dismissively, "devotees.." It somewhat of a relief to hear the opposite actually, though now Nate's mind is pulled in a different direction.

"Have you run into any of the Order?"
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
Neron can't help but flash a fanged and mischievous grin in Nate's direction, the Hailstorm shrugging his shoulders to the other man and dusting the crushed ice off his hands. "She is Abandoned," he explains. "So whilst she has respect for the old gods, I wouldn't say she's a devotee or anything of the sort. And she has proven very sympathetic to the Ascended." He wants to say you're welcome, but he resists - just about. Luckily, a change in subject is on the cards, and he takes another sip of his drink as he shakes his head.

"I haven't, no. But my twin had the pleasure of meeting one of them. He warned me away from them, as you can well imagine from the rumours going around." Sitting up a bit and leaving the makeshift plan for the time being, he glances sidelong at Nate. "Why, have you?" he asks.
sometimes the soul
has days like these