I Don't Sleep These Days
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Elide

Elide is found within the confines of the library, an ancient-looking building which holds many books within its tall walls. They cover nearly anything anyone might want to read about; be it fact or fiction. At least, that is within the realm of possibility for this world. It is Elide's second favorite place to study and work.

Sometimes, when her own small home becomes too suffocating, she finds her feet guiding her here, to the library. It's been that way since she was a small child. The librarian has learned to live with her comings and goings, especially now that she is a reclusive Ascended, coming out only under the shroud of night. He sleeps near the front door now, an elderly man with white hair and a droopy face. His glasses have fallen down to the end of his nose as his body slumps in his chair. An open book lay across his desk in front of him and a fireplace crackles behind him, alive with flame. If anyone enters, he will likely not wake. Elide knows him well enough to know that he could sleep through anything. His distant snores fill the silence.

Distant because the reaches of this building are vast and spacious, and she has made her own place deep among the scrolls. She sits at a table pressed along the length of an empty bookcase, cobwebs swaying from the energy that a lit torch emits. Hers is the only one aside from the torches that light the entrance, indication that the library is still open. Elide's torch creates a soft glow from deep within the otherwise dark bookcases, the flames beckoning back and forth. Not many people visit the library at this hour, so she is not expecting the sound of approaching footsteps.

Elide, currently, is rummaging through her own bag as if searching for something she cannot find. Her bangs fall across the bridge of her nose. Papers are cast across the table in her search, fwipping through the air towards a pile of large books that lay stacked upon it.
sword for a tongue, night in the heart, room in the body
only for the mysterious — the impossible, unfathomable things
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
i wanted to be ruined —
a little more than i wanted
— to be loved
The librarian is asleep, which only proves a bit more difficult for Kiada. She hasn’t spent enough time here in Halo to figure out the rounds in the Library, hadn’t needed to look up anything here. The only other time she’d spent a decent amount of time here had been when she was here last Deepfrost – helping the Grounders, ensuring their safety when they fled the Grounds. She supposes now that it’s become her home instead of the Grounds, she might as well try it out.

And of course, she chooses to slip away while Chulane sleeps – a note left for him so he wouldn’t panic if he woke, to know that she would be right back once she found what she sought.

But it’s dark and quiet in the library and she has no idea where to start, especially with the man at the front asleep. So she dives down the paths, searching and searching, coming up with nothing, until she spies a torch in the next couple of rows over. For a moment, she wonders if it’s another librarian, and her steps take her quickly over toward the light.

Only to find someone rummaging through a bag, appearing to do research, something of which she’s interrupted. A slight grimace crosses her face, sucking in a breath that’s entirely unnecessary. “Sorry if I interrupted your…” She gestures to the papers strewn about, the books, without entirely glancing at them at first. “Work.” A fanged grimace crosses her face at her lack of tact.

Perhaps she’s just gone too long talking to people she doesn’t know.
KIADA
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Elide

A figure appears from around the corner, and Elide has certainly heard the approach - but she is delving into her work, yes - it may be called that. Her attention parts from her papers and dark eyes scan... an Ascended? There are not many in Halo. At least, not that Elide knows of, so you'll forgive her if her hands freeze and her brows raise and her eyes widen. Her fingers release their grip along the contents of her bag (which is just.. more papers, mostly) and suddenly she rights herself.

"My work.." Elide echoes, her eyes following the other woman's towards the pile of books and papers strewn about. "Oh, right," Elide gives a small, forgiving shake of her head, using two slender fingers to push her hair out of her face, "If it is an interruption, it is a welcome one." She lifts her chin a bit and her eyes take in the other woman again. There is a glint in her eyes and the ghost of a smile along her lips. After a moment of silence, she realizes she must introduce herself before the woman is gone and it is too late.

"My name is Elide. I have not seen you around here before... where is it you come from?"
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
Part of her is so used to being known that it’s both relieving and slightly terrifying that she doesn’t recognize the woman before her, and she doesn’t recognize her either. The other Ascended freezes and Kiada stills herself, to become less of a threat should Elide imagine that she is one. Not in this body, at least. Not yet.

Still, her iceberg gaze follows Elide’s own, to the spaces she gestures where the books and papers sit. Kiada keeps one foot at the ready, to step back and wander her way back should the woman request it of her. But it goes in ways that Kiada doesn’t expect – a welcome distraction, one that lets a soft smile cross her face and a mental sigh of relief. “Kiada.” She murmurs softly, dipping her head in an easy greeting, settling herself internally to not simply run.

Oh, I…  Originally came from the Grounds. But I…” This is too much information, she begins to shake her head, halfway into telling Elide that she’d died and been reborn. “Came to stay with my adoptive father.” Her shoulders rise and fall in a shrug. “I haven’t been around for almost a year, though, so I’ve missed out on quite a lot.
KIADA
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Change author:
Elide

Silence is all that extends from Elide for a moment, the other woman's name settling in the still air. Although, she does return the small nod with one of her own. Kiada seems to falter in the explanation of her origins, once the question is presented. Elide's already stiff smile breaks and the briefest look of speculation traces over her expression. A minute pinch of the brow and a slight tilt of her head are the only indicators of a scientific person doing what scientific people do; figure things out, dissect.

As more of the truth unfolds, Elide realizes two things: Kiada is one of the Ascended brought back from Mort's realm, and she is not sure how to talk about it - or she doesn't want to talk about it. Understanding smooths the small crease on Elide's forehead.

"Oh, I see... You must be one of the Ascended that She brought back.." Elide says, her tone unrevealing, yet it trails off. Truth be told, she doesn't feel either way about it. It is what it is. The Voice needs more Ascended to fuel her movement, her missions, and other such Godly things. These ghosts of past lives only wished to reunite with the reality they had created for themselves. It was a bargain that benefited both.

On the surface, at least. But how much time had passed for some of them? How much more had they lost in death and time than just their life force? "A year. That is a long time to be gone."

What matters more than any of that (right now) is how Kiada, newly-Ascended, is dealing with this monumental change. Elide is most curious to know and even more excited that she has just met one of these very special Ascended. Still, she pulls it back, reigns it in.

"Forgive me for being so bold," she shakes her head dismissively, attempts to move away from the subject, "Are- are you looking for something, Kiada? Perhaps I can help. I know these halls better than most."

Although, Elide knows exactly what she's done. She wants to see if Kiada is open or closed off, 'testing the waters' per se.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
Elide sums it up in a much easier way than Kiada could have. She doesn’t know how far the word has spread of it, squirreled away and kept to herself and her family as she was, that there’s almost the lining of relief that sparks through her eyes as the other woman trails off. A brief tug of a smile tries to form on the corner of her lips, her head nodding. “Yes.” She agrees quietly, solving that question with a simple word. “I died trying to rescue Tanau last Flowerbirth.” That was a tougher thing to say, but she’s gotten better about it. She isn’t dead now.

And really, it wouldn’t affect Elide as it often did for her friends and family.

Nearly a year, at least.” In case the details mattered, that was, but she pauses to shake her head, to try and reset the spiral her mind is ready to dive into.

Her eyes lift from where she’s let them wander over the books and papers strewn about at Elide’s apology. “It’s okay! Really. I wasn’t sure how much people knew about it all.” Hopefully the easier smile that crosses her face is accepted. As for looking for something? Thank the gods she offers. “Actually that would be incredible.” She sighs almost wistfully, before her s mile edges toward something with a bit more amusement. “I was hoping to maybe find something on Ningos and agriculture?” She asks, mulling it over for a moment. “I want to help with the Ningo farm Chulane has made. Seeing as I don’t sleep anymore… I think it’s the least I could do some nights.
KIADA
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Change author:
Elide

Tanau is a name that brings an entire list of events to the surface of Elide's thoughts. Her expression is neutral, though, as she listens with intent to more of Kiada's story. It's enough to sate her neverending stream of curiosity - for the time being. She lets the information rest in the forefront of her mind, digesting it with no hurry. Her gaze does drift away for a moment as she recalls the sickness that swept across the entirety of Caido, infecting many people - Ascended, included.

She offers a gracious smile at Kiada's forgiveness. "In Halo, word has traveled fast. I don't doubt the other regions have heard about it from those who returned from the Festival." Nothing much else to say about that other than, "It was quite a shock to everyone." She only wishes her brother had returned with them. With a brief and sad dip of her gaze, that feeling worms its way around in her heart.

Turning, Elide strides past Kiada with a wave. She reaches a lithesome hand up to retrieve the small torch that hangs on a nearby wooden beam. Using the light to navigate, Elide steps with assurance in the direction of the agricultural sections. Of which there are many but, she thinks she has a good idea of where to find texts on Ningo farming. It is not likely that Chulane's is the first of its kind, after all - though it may be the only one, now. As she walks, she speaks without looking at Kiada.

"You might be glad to know that, ultimately, the mission was a success." She's unsure if Kiada has heard much about it since her return - or what she'd been able to perceive from the place that spirits go. Likely not much, Elide should think. "Although it did cause a great deal of suffering for some. A sickness... it drove many to the ends of their sanity and back again. But, it was cured by the help of people and Gods alike; it seems to have disappeared altogether. Tanau runs free now, as far as I know."

She stops beside a specific, very lengthy hall made of bookcases. She turns to regard Kiada, the flame's reflections flickering across their smooth, pale skin. Then, she moves to place the torch along another wooden beam near the center of the shelves. "It will be in here, somewhere." At that, she begins to carefully search for the section that regards 'poultry'. She pries a small paper book from within it, a drawing of a plump bird on the front. It appears to be a journal of sorts, written by hand. This book is offered to Kiada. Elide raises her brows in question before turning to select a few other books of relevance, hoarding them in her thin arms. "Come, grab the torch. We will take these back and engage in proper research - and perhaps I can tell you more of what you've missed in almost a year, hm?"
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
It was a shock to me, too, believe me.” She says softly, letting the warmth of the friendliness this woman offers become a boon for her to warm up as well. It’s been so long, after all. “One moment it was just… Peaceful and quiet, warm. The next I hear someone asking me to follow them. And here I am.” She gestures to herself, newly Ascended but alive which was more than she could’ve said a season ago.

Soon, however, Elide is guiding her down the paths, explaining that the mission was successful. “I heard there were two cures… One by the Voice and the other by the Old Gods.” She considers carefully, pausing to mull over her thoughts before she draws silent. She thinks of Tanau, that beautiful god, how she’d wanted nothing more than to help him and yet perished in the mission regardless.

She thinks she can remember seeing him for a moment after her death. She thinks she can remember an apology before the warmth and brightness took her away. Or perhaps it was just coming to terms with her death.

Elide stops beside a lengthy hall and she snaps out of her thoughts to focus on the other Ascended. After a few more moments, there’s a book in her hand and a wide fanged grin on her face. “I would love that.” She agrees, already feeling relieved with the idea of it all. Easy conversation, nothing difficult. It was exactly what she needed right now. So she takes the torch, helps to juggle whatever books Elide chooses to bring with, and starts heading back toward the table she’d initially found the woman at. “Have you been in Halo long?” She asks, turning her head to glance at her companion.
KIADA
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Change author:
Elide

Elide nods at Kiada's experience with death, intrigue making her tilt her chin forward to give the woman fuller attention. Huh. She's given the afterlife some thought, gandered through old writings about it, and she could probably surmise it in plenty of words. 'Warm', however, might not have been apart of the vocabulary she chose. In a way, this clarification relieves her, and this time a real smile softens her icy features. The rest of Kiada's story is peculiar, suddenly being warped out of death and offered eternal youth. It's unprecedented, which is exactly what makes this so interesting.

As they walk down the shadowy halls, Elide nods at Kiada's comment. So she has heard about what happened. "Yes," Elide remarks simply, continuing onward. She falters for a moment to regard Kiada, thinking of telling her about the two different cures, but what comes out instead will probably surprise both of them. "I'm sorry. For what happened to you," her gaze wavers stiffly, unused to such sentimentality, so she lifts her chin and turns back to the bookshelves, "at least you've been given a second chance."

They return to Elide's table, to which she carefully places her stack of books on one corner. Then, she turns to collect the papers she has thrown all about, a few straying on the floor. "Hm?" She lifts her head at Kiada's question, tucking her papers neatly into her leather bookbag. There's a brief pause in her movements as it registers, but once it does she is quick to answer, "Yes, my entire life. My brother and I were born here but, I am all that's left of my family now."

In a sweeping motion, she gives Kiada a few blank papers and a writing utensil, adding quietly, "for notes."

She settles into one of the seats and motions for Kiada to make herself comfortable. After a moment of consideration, she explains, "I have been a researcher and a hunter for most of my life. My work is all I do, and Halo is a very quiet place to do it. I doubt I will ever leave," she looks up to retrieve a book, "What of you? What did you do before?"
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
It was for a good reason.” She shrugs. She’d wanted to help, to find a god and bring them back, to soothe their pain and ensure they were no longer lost. She only wished she had gone about it better. But she was back now, a nod given to the mention of a second chance. “I wasn’t finished yet.” Comes the next comment, an easier smile shot Elide’s way, something a bit more fierce and fiery than before.

The table appears before them, however, and Kiada moves to make herself comfortable as she listens for Elide’s answer. There’s a nod given – the Harpy must have been distracted last Deepfrost, having not noticed the woman before. But she glazes over that for the mention that she was the last of her family, a frown crossing her face. “I’m sorry.” What else was there to say?

A few blank papers and a writing utensil are given to her, and she takes them with a nod of thanks – keeping the somber mood as she takes a book, prepping the blank pages for notes to be taken, her iceberg gaze eventually lifting up to peer at Elide’s face as she speaks. “Halo is very nice.” She agrees softly. “Well… I’m an Outlander. I arrived in the Grounds briefly before the barrier fell. I was in two worlds before then and landed here. I inherited the Monster Hunter’s Guild, though I think that died when I did.” A shoulder rises and falls as she opens one of the books finally, perusing the table of contents for what she’s looking for.
KIADA
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Change author:
Elide

Elide needs no apologies to sate whatever hurt is leftover. It's been so long, it all feels so far away now. She merely shakes her head. Her words come out gently, "There is nothing to apologize for, I am fine on my own."

Besides, it's not like she's truly on her own. She has.. those that care for her, at least. She also has her work, to dive and delve into. There is little time to ruminate or brood, and she knows better, so she doesn't.

Elide nods in tune with Kiada's confirmation of Halo being nice. Not many would agree with that, of course, but those who understood the land would know. It was telling of the woman's fortitude. Elide could admire that.

When Kiada reveals her Outlander origins, Elide is mostly unsurprised. A lot of people are Outlanders. At least a third of the population must be, she thinks. At this point in time, it doesn't come as much of a shock or a revelation. Except, perhaps, if Kiada had some sort of baggage to carry over from her past. Only then would it truly impact her standing here. As far as Elide knew, she didn't.

"Being an Outlander is not such an uncommon thing in Caido. Many citizens are," she turns her cerebral gaze away, as if thinking of someone. Nonetheless, she hopes that this knowledge serves as some form of comfort. She quiets, listening to the rest of what Kiada has to say. The mention of an infamous Monster Hunter's Guild cracks Elide's composure, however. Her eyes widen slightly, a gleam in them. "There are still monsters to hunt, Kiada," she says, and it comes out with a tone not too unlike a warning. "Now that you live again, do you think your guild will too?" Her curiosity is tangible, as she leans her chin against one of her palms and looks more pointedly at the other woman. "I would not be opposed to that. In fact, I might be.. entirely for it." There's a crooked smile that draws over her lips, and she adds, "twas a monster that killed my brother. You must understand, my motivation to prevent such a thing from happening again."
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
There’s a nod given to Elide as she comments that she’s fine on her own. And gods could Kiada relate to a statement any more than that one? She’d lost everyone for a time before finding family again. It was something she understood in ways that Elide perhaps wouldn’t ever find out about, which was fine. She drops the conversation anyway, the sense of it being over and her not wanting to dive into it too much more.

Regardless, Elide continues and Kiada nods – a soft smile coming to the corners of her lips. “I’ve noticed that tones have changed when it comes to Outlanders.” She comments softly – recalling the anger from the Grounds before, back when the barrier still stood, to now when it didn’t seem like it wasn’t a make or break when it came to casual conversation.

So she dives into the books, recalling what she’s done, looking back up at her fellow Ascended at the mention of monsters to hunt. That’s true, she knows it, and yet she doesn’t know if her guild would survive it or not. It isn’t even her guild anymore. But she mulls it over as Elide offers her help, a nod given in understanding that the other Ascended might want that justice as she might have once too. “It isn’t really my guild so much anymore… But, I’ll chat with Chulane about it and see if any others have interest.” Her head tilts this way and that, the pen tapping against the parchment as she considers it. “But I don’t see why we couldn’t?

Provided there was interest within it, well, that would change everything.
KIADA
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Change author:
Elide

Elide mulls over the bit about perspectives on Outlanders changing. "Yes. With time, everything changes. Perhaps it is proof that one day the Voice and the Ascended will be more universally accepted as well," she muses aloud, a somewhat wistful tune in her voice, "hopefully it will help that the Voice brought back so many lost lives." She'd be amazed if it didn't, but... alas, there were those with wayward opinions and beliefs. Old Gods feeding the insecurities of misguided souls that asked for guidance, and ate it up without much of a second thought. Elide had nothing specific against any of the Gods, though she did wish they could sort things out so that everyone could live as equals. See past their own sides from a centuries-old war to a much bigger picture.

What a world that might be.

Kiada seems hopeful about the guild, though, and Elide leans back against her seat. Strangely freeing to find someone who wants the exact same thing, who understands so personally. "Well, whether it officially belongs to you or someone else should not matter when the heart of the guild still beats for the same purpose," she remarks. Leadership could be fluid and, when working with other hunters, teamwork goes much farther than anything else.

There is a small pause in the conversation as they both sink into books, Elide sharing little bits and pieces of unique information she thinks might be helpful. Dietary and housing needs, among other things. There's even stuff about the kind of enrichment Ningos enjoy, such as bright-colored pieces of wood and chasing live bugs - or even little mirrors. The thought brings a small smile of amusement to Elide's lips.

After a bit of that, though, she closes the book and looks up at Kiada. "So... how are you feeling with all of this? You're an Ascended, you've come back from death after nearly a year. It must be... strange, to be thrown back into Caido for a second time."
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
There’s a nod that Kiada gives to Elide, a soft smile crossing her face that’s nearly wistful in how much she hopes that might be the case. But the information of the Order and the war that is inevitably coming does worry her, it stresses her that it only adds to more of the fuel if the Voice can simply… Undo what Ludo and Mort have done – to reach in and take out.

As it were, however, Kiada simply flicks through the books and starts to take notes, pausing at the mention of the monsters and the guild she’d left behind. The other Ascended brings up a good point, and Kiada mulls it over with a quiet nod, a conversation to have with Chulane later about who might be best to take it over. Gods knew the two of them already had enough on their plate – especially her coming back from the grave and trying to fit into everything again.

There’s a huff of a sigh that leaves her, more habitual than anything, notes taken and left as she flips through more pages, her iceberg gaze rising to peer back at Elide when she speaks. “It is strange.” She comments, pausing to offer a quiet laugh that’s both sad and amusing at the same time. “I’m not sure how to try and fit into things again. Everything’s changed and moved on. It’s a tough… Realization I think, more than anything else.
KIADA