{se} bobbing on the waves
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Arialla

Arialla wasn't sure where the idea to hang baubles on the strange sapling had come from, but it seemed like a fun little activity. The idea that the plant might like it didn't strike her as so strange, coming as she did from a land of nymphs and dryads.

Of course, Arialla turned to the sea for her little gift. She was certain she could find a good seashell to hang on the tree's branches, and while she was out here, she might as well pick up some other shells or pretty detritus to trade. Now ... what kind of shell would an animated tree like? She picked along the tide line, pocketing a few pieces of sea glass as she searched for the perfect ornament.

please don't take my sunshine away

coding base by Skylark
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
HENRY

Henry takes to flying often. It's a release of sorts, something that helps him clear his mind and then recollect his thoughts. Since he's got nothing better to do right now, he's coasting along the oceanside. He enjoys testing his limits on these occasions, as well, and one of those tests is to see how close to the ground he can glide without touching it.

So he begins doing that, the damn idiot, eyes on the sand beneath him, and he's so wrapped up in himself that he doesn't even notice the woman walking in front of him. Well, he does, but it's almost too late at that point. Even if he dips out of the way in time, he goes crashing into a pile of loose sand, scattering it everywhere. Consequently, he gets covered by it.

There's a lot of disgruntled honking and squawking as he rights himself and shakes out his feathers to rid himself of the sand. He looks up at the red-haired lady that's probably laughing at him or staring in shock or, hell, maybe she completely ignored him! Either way, he offers her an apologetic snap of his beak. Boldly, curiously, he stomps over to her and cranes his head up at her.

Of course, he doesn't recognize her since she's in human form now, but she might recognize him.
I won't forget the life we've lived
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

Arialla

Definitely surprised to have an enormous bird almost crash into her, Arialla jumped back with a little cry of surprise, spilling the basket of interesting flotsam she'd been carrying. For a moment she went into fight or flight mode, almost changed into an eagle herself, half-expecting the animal to attack her. Then she realized that it might need her help, crashed into the sand as it was -- no, it seemed fine and ... friendly?

Oh, maybe the eagle was Attuned -- and with that thought recognition set in. There weren't a lot of this particular species of eagle out here, after all, and Arialla had gotten a pretty good look at him, with her eagle's eyes. "Henry?"

That would be an odd coincidence, wouldn't it? But stranger things had certainly happened.

coding base by Skylark
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
sacrifice what you are for what you can become
Ironic how he'd already collided with her once before, and this was almost a second time.

Her voice fills the air, his name with it. In response, he cocks his head in genuine surprise. Arialla? He never would've gussed that she looked like this, all red hair and freckles, wearing a flowy outfit, picking things up off of the beach. Not because it didn't seem like her but, Henry never would've guessed it anyway, so yes, he is completely taken aback.

Literally, he takes quite a few steps back, to make adequate room for the transformation that suddenly took place in front of her. He appears to her in his human form for the first time.

"We've got to stop meeting like this," he jokes, smiling. He almost immediately takes notice of the bits and pieces of odd things spilled over the sand. "Oh, that's my fault, isn't it?" He offers her a sheepish grin, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

Without waiting for an answer, he stoops down to collect all of the flotsam in his arms and place it back in her basket.

"What's all this for?" He wonders curiously, getting back up and lifting the basket back over to her.
HENRY
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Henry didn't look how Arialla had pictured him, either -- though she hadn't really pictured him at all, honestly. Still, a vague sense of surprise accompanied the sight of his human form. She'd thought he'd be ... taller, perhaps.

"Maybe you should learn to look where you're flying," Arialla said, her warm, teasing tone making it clear that she wasn't actually angry -- especially since he'd been so chivalrous as to pick up her dropped items. They might have come back with a little more sand on them, but they were all beach finds; they'd been full of sand anyway. "There's this tree in town that laughs when you touch it -- I've been hearing people say that it likes it when you give it ornaments. So I figured I'd make it one. I've done a lot of beachcombing since I came to Caido -- it's a decent way to find things for trade."

coding base by Skylark
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
He chuckles at that and shrugs his shoulders, an equally teasing edge in his tone, "Maybe."

Henry's gaze sparks immediately with realization and understanding, though he does let her finish explaining. "I know the giggling tree, too, actually," he nods along, a happy smile on his face. "I imagine it's grown a lot more since the last time I saw it... it grows unnaturally fast," he recalls the miraculously fast growth from the second time he'd seen it. There's a piece of flotsam he missed, he realizes, leaning down to scoop it up in his hands. The sand floats down between his fingers, and he turns the item over to examine it, wondering what it could've been before. "You've got a good idea with this, though. It's very... Torchline," he lifts his gaze back up to her, filled with amusement and approval, before dropping the piece into her basket.

"Mind if I tag along and help ya look for more? Just... promise we don't have to go swimming with the sharks again."
HENRY
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla nodded. "I've seen it grow too. Back in my world, we had stories of dryads, nymphs that dwelt in trees; sometimes people would give offerings to appease them before they cut down a tree. I don't think this tree needs to be appeased -- and I hope no one's going to cut it down -- but it might appreciate an offering anyway."

She smiled to find that he liked her idea. "Torchline reminds me of home. I don't think I could have stayed in the Grounds, so far from the ocean."

And then a chuckle: "You're welcome to join me -- we'll try to stay dry this time."

Looking down at the sand and shells at her feet, she started to move on -- slowly, as she waited for Henry to fall in beside her.

coding base by Skylark
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry nods along; he's heard stories of a similar vein. Elemental spirits that dwell in trees or flowers, or that symbolize the coming and going of a season. He hadn't made the connection, though, which he realized he found to be intriguing. Compelling, even. Torchline did not remind him of home, of course, being that that was the Grounds. So he can only try to understand what it must be like for an Outlander, to find comfort in places that remind them of a home they can no longer reach.

He follows along at her side, gaze raking over the beach but, truly, his concentration is more on Arialla and the conversation.

"The Grounds will always be home to me, of course.. but, Torchline has a certain.." he looks at her and cracks a boyish half-grin, "appeal," more seriously, he lifts his chin and goes on, "but hey, maybe you're right. It would make sense. The tree being a spirit, I mean. I don't think anyone will cut it down but, I do have to wonder what they'll do if it doesn't stop growing." He chuckles lightly at the thought.

"So how are we going to put all of this together?" He asks, holding up the object in his hand to peer at her through it. After some fiddling, he had realized it was once a kaleidoscope or a telescope. Now, though, it was just an interesting-looking... well, piece of junk. No real value except for whatever they put into it. "Could make one giant sculpture out of it all. Call it... the 'Flotsam Monster'," he spreads his hands out in front of him in emphasis of the name, shooting her a humorous look.
HENRY
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla grinned back, amused by Henry's description of Torchline. "It's not the ocean that draws you, I imagine, but the beach is certainly nice, and you can't beat the weather."

Except during monsoon season, of course. But everywhere had its issues. Torchline had monsoons, Halo had winters, and the Grounds ... The Grounds had LongNight.

"It wouldn't make a terrible addition to Haulani," she added, speaking of the firling. "Though I imagine it could get out of hand ... It has to slow down sometime, doesn't it?"

Looking at their haul, Arialla considered. "I was planning to grab one or two really nice pieces and string them on the branches. Something like -- oh, this!"

She bent down to grab a large sea shell: faint mother-of-pearl iridescence on the inside, an appealing rusty stripe pattern on the back. Smiling, Arialla added, "I have some string to tie on ... Some sea glass would be nice, too, but I haven't found any yet."

coding base by Skylark
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry lets out a hum of agreement about the nice beach and weather. These certainly were meritable qualities but, Henry found that he wasn't a huge fan anyway. As far as he wants to explore - to the deepest reaches of Caido - he found within himself an inescapable loyalty and longing for home, for the people that make it a home. It's depressing, to say the least, but he won't bog down Arialla with it. Gods know it must be so much worse for her.

"Hopefully!" He pipes up, about the firling, though his voice does take on a lackluster tune.

His interest is still piqued at her plans for the various items she's collected along the beach, though. He lets his hands fall back down to his sides, a soft and humorous smile on his face, to watch for what she's picking up.

"That one's nice," he steps a little closer to take a look at it and nods as if it is very impressive. At the mention of needing sea glass, Henry's brows raise. He sets the piece of flotsam in his hands down into her basket, saying, "Sea glass, hm? I think I know how to find some." There's a mischievous quirk of his brow in her direction as he steps back and goes up in feathers.

Shifting back into a sea eagle, he takes to the air. The takeoff is a little more graceful than his landing had been. He lets long, powerful wings glide over the waves, forward-facing eyes combing the sand and the ocean alike. Suddenly, he dips down into the shallows. He almost completely disappears beneath the waves for a moment.

When he's lifting back up from them, there's something distinctly shiny in his beak. He spreads his wings and flaps slowly back towards Arialla, landing roughly into the sand. Though, he does take care to land a few feet away from her. Immediately, he shifts back into a person - but, the seaglass is still perched between his teeth. "Ah-" he plucks it out of his mouth quickly, having forgotten. He wipes the grit and spittle off on his shirt until it's thoroughly cleaned. "Sorry." He smiles and offers it out to her in an open palm. It's a substantially-sized, round piece of sea glass with a sky-blue color. "There's some more over that way." He hooks his thumb back over his shoulder. "I can uh.. start tying the string to some of these while you go get more? If you want." It'll be more efficient, that way, and less work... probably.
HENRY
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla noticed the change in Henry's tone and almost asked what prompted it, but he seemed to be trying to stay chipper, so maybe that would be prying? Before she could decide, the moment was gone, the opportunity to inquire further lost. Maybe another time.

"I think so," she responded to his evaluation of the shell, her tone friendly. Then, as he stated his intention: "You know -- "

And then he transformed. Oh, that was certainly a way to do it. Arialla smiled, watching him fly and dive, and then had to laugh at the sight of the sea glass in his teeth. It was a nice piece, too. "Good job! I never would have thought of that -- but then I haven't been Attuned for very long."

She nodded at his proposal. "Yes, I can go take a look. In fact ..."

It might make a good opportunity to use her new dolphin shift -- she could expand her search for treasure far beyond the beach. Handing the basket to Henry, she started walking down towards the water, in the direction he'd indicated.

coding base by Skylark
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry lets out an easy chuckle at her approval and admiration of his improvisation. "The shifts are gifts to help you, right? Might as well make the most of them." There were so many instances that Henry had to shift into an eagle in order to more effectively do something. When tending to the sheep on his family's farm, the shift helped to ward off other predators and the vision it granted made spotting them all that much easier. If he ever had the need to hunt or find something, the eagle was there for him. He's incredibly confident, as well, that he will never have a need to fear heights ever again. "When you have them long enough, it starts to come naturally, like second nature. You learn the strengths and weaknesses, what they're good for - and what they're not." He shrugs, smiling contentedly.

For all of his confliction in regards to the Old and New Gods, Henry would never not be grateful for becoming an Attuned. Not that he'd had much of a choice at first but, now, he doesn't know what he'd do without the eagle.

He tilts his head and his smile wanes as she trails off and wanders out towards the ocean. He wonders what she's 'in fact'ing about but, he's content to wait and find out. So he seats himself along the sand, plucking through the basket to find a piece of string and begin to tie it through the broken spyglass. This decoration will, perhaps, be his favorite. As he works, he continues to glance up and see how Arialla is faring.
HENRY
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla nodded at Henry's description of being Attuned. "I became Attuned to serve Safrin ... I've been practicing my shifts, getting accustomed to each form, figuring out how to use them best." She grinned. "Like this, actually."

When she'd reached water deep enough -- chest-high -- she dove forward and became a dolphin, growing blubber and fins as she changed into the sleek grey form. She loved both her shifts, in different ways -- there was something light and cheerful about the dolphin, as if the animal took more joy in its existence than the eagle. Not that the eagle didn't revel in its flight, but the dolphin felt more playful.

As a dolphin, she swam along the shore, looking for anything interesting on the sea floor -- ranging deeper and deeper as she went. She did feel a little guilty for leaving Henry behind, so she resolved to make her trip brief. And then she saw the glint of gold: she wasn't sure what the object was, covered in seaweed and muck as it was, but it was shiny. Grabbing it in her dolphin's beak, she headed back to shore.

"Bottlenose dolphin" by WIlly Volk is licensed with CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry's watching somewhat distractedly as Arialla wades a bit into the ocean. Then her form is no longer a human - but not an eagle, either. Expecting feathers and wings to take her place, he's thoroughly surprised when his eyes capture gray fins and blubber. To his relief, she doesn't appear to have transformed into a shark, but something else. He narrows his eyes, trying to get a better look, but it's hard to tell as she swims about looking for things. Seaglass, he assumes, but apparently he's wrong.

"Find anything!?" He asks after a bit, raising his voice so she can hear him.

When she returns, she'll see that placed around his neck is a cluster of shells he's threaded together, worn like a very bulky necklace. He is also looking at her through the broken spyglass (which is also useless for that reason), one eye squinted shut. He's gotten a few more of these little decorations done, and would appear to be having quite a bit of fun with this task!
HENRY