time grows short and nights grow long
Neron + Morgan
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
It's Lord of the Flies in my mind tonight
It’s a big house for the Grounds, but not that big; Neron, Morgan, and Wessex were bound to run into each other at some point - especially when one of the three is trying to make that happen.

Not needing to sleep makes an early morning - or late-night - ambush all the easier. The Queen is set up in her sitting room (the regular one, not the meeting one with the big desk and everything), going over plans for various things in the future. There’s even a fire in the fireplace, just because she likes the picture it makes and it keeps Daphne happier in the winter (trust her, a happy Daphne is much better than a cross Daphne). It probably keeps Morgan more comfortable too, even with the consistently higher temperatures here.

She just isn’t that close to the fire. Should there be the patter of feet on the stairs or the sound of a doorknob turning, Wessex will hear it and go investigate.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
Morgan
the glacier
I'm king of the land,
I'm a ruler of seas
Morgan had always been an early riser, since childhood, when her father had kept her on the same schedule as his guards. Rising at dawn, no matter the circumstances (right now the circumstances were often 'waking up to look at Neron's dumb smug smirk') and getting up to stretch, go for a walk or some kind of exercise, eat then begin the rest of the day. While being at the grounds made things a little different, she was still trying to keep to her routine as much as she could.

Getting back to the building after the walk, which was significantly easier than any trips in Halo at this time of year, she tapped any dirt or snow off her boots and wiped them, trying her utmost to be respectful to the host; this was, first and foremost, a diplomatic matter, after all (or at least it was meant to be. Any personal motivations surrounding Neron were a private matter).

Still not entirely sure of the layout of the house or where Neron was, she opened a door downstairs to peek in, hoping to see a kitchen and assuming it would be empty at this time of the day - of course, she'd forgotten about who she was staying with. After a surprised pause, she nodded at Wessex and still holding the door handle, went to pull it shut again. "My apologies, Queen Theskyra."
Treasures and crowns wouldn't mean a thing
If I only had a heart
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Neron
i love you as
certain dark things are to be loved
Neron comes downstairs to run into Morgan accidentally-on-purpose. He has absolutely been watching for her return, arranging to be in the right place at the right time to see her in from her walk. So as she goes poking around in different rooms, the Hailstorm is creeping about and fully intending to catch a sneaky glimpse of curves or perhaps even steal a kiss that's just as likely to earn him a punch in the arm as anything else.

He's just about slipping up behind her when she speaks to the interior of one of the rooms, and he realises just who is in there - it prevents him, thankfully, from grabbing her ass. Instead, clearing his throat a bit, he straightens up and steps back. "Quite. It was not our intention to disturb you." Because they were definitely walking around together. Fully intentional. Yes.
in secret
between the shadow and the soul
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
“For what?” Wessex asks, nearly at the door as it had opened. It’s a bit of a surprise to see the Glacier up close and personal again, but then this house is only so big.

Neron’s voice chimes in she catches a glimpse of his head - it’s too convenient not to take advantage of. The Wraith pulls back from the door to allow a path into the room and gestures for them to come in. “Nonsense, come in. I should have said hello as soon as I came back, but there’s a lot to catch up on, and -” catching herself, she looks back at Morgan with a knowing look. Surely she can understand.

“You can call me Wessex, Warden. If you want.”

Queen Theskyra sound so… formal. So against the way she sees herself. “I have to admit I was surprised to hear you’d come too,” she continues as she tidies her papers and puts them in a pile on a side table, in order to give the two Halovians her full attention.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Morgan
the glacier
I'm king of the land,
I'm a ruler of seas
Before she could respond to Wessex, Morgan was surprised to hear Neron's voice behind her, whirling around (it wasn't a good idea to sneak up on someone with as much combat practice as she had) and giving him a look that distinctly said: we will talk about this later. Trying to recover her composure she turned back into the room, not caring if some of her hair whipped his face as she did. "I thought you might be having a private moment."

That wasn't the case though, so she stepped in, nodding at Wessex; she did understand. It felt like she'd become Warden her feet hadn't touched the floor. This season was the first sort of 'break' she'd ever had and it felt bizarre, as if she were constantly forgetting everything she had to do. "Wessex, right." She agreed, coming in to sit, still feeling slightly awkward but knowing it was best to talk to the Queen when the opportunity arose.

"Oh, well-" She looked across to Neron for a split second when it came to why she was there then back to Wessex. "I promised Halo would stand by the Grounds and the Ascended people and I do not make my promises likely. I wanted to show the truth of my convictions and assist your people. I know that a lot of the Ascended are..." Morgan paused, wondering if she was going to offend, but well, she was only saying the truth. "Not warriors. I thought my experience may come in useful."
If I only had a heart
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Neron
i love you as
Neron can't help but grin - talking about it later is more of a promise than a threat, and he thoroughly looks forward to it, truth be told. Ahem, enough of that though - there's a queen to address. They step into the room together, Neron burying his hands in his pockets. "I didn't expect you to be back so soon, truth be told," he says. If he'd known about it, he might have put off coming to the Grounds so soon, knowing the Wraith can teleport at will. Then Morgan might not have come along at all.

Sinking down into a free seat, Neron ruffles a hand back through his fair hair. "Morgan was a soldier before she was Warden of the Citadel," he agrees with a smile that shows the tips of fangs. "And the Glacier is quite formidable, in my personal opinion. For those of us who are not well-versed in fighting, she will be indispensible."
in secret
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“No, you’re right. I’d say warriors are in the minority right now, given who’s returned. Which is probably a good thing, when it comes to public perception.” A little self-deprecation there, but it’s in good humor and speaks to the truth. “We all know I’m not the best Ambassador.”

Bastien, on the other hand, might be if given the opportunity to spread his wings.

Giving the Hailstorm a bit of a confused look (had he been hit on the head recently?), Wessex agrees. “Yes, I know, I was in the mines with both of you, we were also at the Arc in the Climb together.” In fact, she’s had a number of similar encounters with the Glacier, all battles of a sort, and in all of them she’d come off as strong - and stubborn. Casting a glance to Morgan, Wessex’s brow is slightly raised. “But your enthusiasm is noted.” His strong enthusiasm.

“I didn’t expect you to leave Halo during Deepfrost, and this is no easy endeavor. To be honest, I don’t know if you’ll be allowed to join the KQ if the Voice is going to help us with some implant like before, and if so, how much risk you’ll be in without it.” A brief pause.

“But I am grateful you’re here.”
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan
the glacier
I'm king of the land,
I'm a ruler of seas
Even though Neron was indeed preaching to the choir, Morgan felt her cheeks warm at his praise and let out a quiet huff of laughter, shaking her head. "I will help however I can. Perhaps I could train some of your Ascended that are less knowledgeable?" She had wanted to offer this, but didn't know enough of the Voice's children in the grounds to ask each of them. "Or help with some other element of the mission. Wherever I would be most useful."

Really, she wanted to be in a position to see that Neron wasn't in trouble, but she couldn't ask for that. She'd already come all the way out here for that purpose (something she still struggled to believe). "Either way, I hope my being here is a symbol of support from Halo to the Grounds. I know that our first meeting was not a positive one, and I'm seeking to correct my wrongs and make peace."
If I only had a heart
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron
i love you as
Wessex's confusion is echoed in the Hailstorm's expression; he merely shrugs his shoulders. "Just because you were there, it does not mean you were paying attention. It is difficult to compliment another's martial ability when something is trying to carve you into pieces," he points out, before leaving it there. His strong enthusiasm could mean anything, after all.

Relaxing into his seat and letting the two women talk training and strategy, he perks up only at the mention of the Voice. "Have you asked her?" he inquires, having assumed their queen and their mother to be hand in glove. "I mean to say, has she offered you any insight regarding what we will need to defend against?"
in secret
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“And if Halo ever needs our help, I, if not we, will be there,” Wessex replies with a solemn nod, pledging her own reciprocating support. Tit for tat, and their original disagreement is behind them.

“I’ll encourage them to take you up on it. If worse comes to worse, you and I could put on a little demonstration. There’s a unique catch to this situation - you can’t kill the Monsters with regular weapons. They’re... “ her hands come together in front of her, clasping the air, “spirits, more or less. But they can be burned, like us. Light only sends them into hiding. So I’m thinking some stealth and endurance training would be best?”

There’s a plan forming in her head, of course, and much of it relies on their dark-blessed speed.

A small shake of her head answers Neron’s question. “Not yet. Amun was supposed to do that while I was away. But it appears he’s disappeared. Two LongNights ago we got one-use implants that made us temporarily invisible to the Monsters - I was hoping it might be something like that, because I think she wants us to succeed.”

And the Voice no longer needs the energy, which means it’s okay for her to put the Monsters to rest, if it appeases her current children.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan
the glacier
I'm king of the land,
I'm a ruler of seas
Morgan smiled, glad to have come to a peace here. Politics were not necessarily her strong point as leader, and she had worried about how to approach the Ascended and their Queen; it seemed she had succeeded in making peace (and so, in a way, denying peace with the Order, but she hadn't been interested in that anyway). "Thank you." For the moment though, thankfully, Halo was well; she could only hope it would stay that way.

As for the monsters not being killable with normal weaponry...well, that did limit her capability to harm them, but she still had a lot of experience organising missions, placing people, giving orders in stressful situations; hopefully she could find a way to help and ideally, in a way that she could keep an eye on Neron.

"Do you know how many you're facing?" She asked, frowning, losing herself in plans already. "Will they approach in groups, or alone? If we could separate them into smaller groups, it would be easier."
If I only had a heart
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron
i love you as
Yes, keeping an eye on Neron indeed. The Hailstorm's interest has been piqued as Wessex mentions the invisibility chips, and whilst he has no idea how to train others in ways that are not magically inclined - and he knows even less about the LongNight monsters they are due to face - he might be able to offer his newfound skill in stealth.

"Do you think the monsters would notice if it were just regular old invisibility?" he asks, promptly activating his cloaking upgrade and fading from view. "In exchange for the mageglass I possessed, the Voice has kitted me out with a few new tricks. If nothing else, I could get things into position undetected." If this sort of invisibility worked.
in secret
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Wessex shakes her head again, slowly, a grim sort of admission of defeat. “No, I don’t. We don’t know much about them, other than -” they were created by the Voice to help her gain bodies to experiment on and they’ve reigned in terror for at least a hundred years? No, she can’t say that. Friendly - and allies - though they may be, she’s not ready to say that sort of thing to Morgan. “ - they’re creatures of madness. They have rudimentary powers - voice mimicry, telekinesis, tangible enough to kill with claws, but unable to be killed by claws. They can fly, too. I’ve encountered them both in groups and one-on-one. We just… don’t know.”

A big shrug of her shoulders. “Our ancestors hid to survive. Can’t really blame ‘em.”

And now it’s up to them to right the wrong. It served a purpose that helped their Lady, but as far as Wessex is concerned, it wasn’t a good move.

As for what Neron asks, she considers it for a moment. “I think it might work. Sam would know, he had an invisibility-like upgrade for a bit. If it’s alright with you, I’d like for us to be a pair - or trio - depending. We’ve worked together before and I can boost your magic.”

It’d undoubtedly be dangerous for the Hailstorm, which is why she leaves it up to him. Worst case scenario, she sends them to 'safety' and sticks it out.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan
the glacier
I'm king of the land,
I'm a ruler of seas
So, they had no idea how many foes they faced, and there was an ever-growing list of powers and advantages they were going to have to deal with. Morgan nodded, a quiet sigh leaving her as she leaned back and tried to think about how many they had on their side, how they'd have to be fighting in the dark (which she supposed actually wasn't a problem for the Ascended, but she'd have to work something out). "If this goes poorly, if you find you are outnumbered, will you retreat? Or is this a mission...to the end?"

No emotion in her words, but her eyes did move just briefly to Neron, though she was really thinking about everyone she had become connected to. Everyone she would be leaving, or he would be, or any of them, if they died to this.

As for invisibility, that certainly sounded useful. Morgan found herself a little jealous for a second of the upgrades the Ascended had, but swiftly remembered the cons of the change too.
If I only had a heart