[seasonal event] Feeding Time [Open]
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

SAMUEL
Sam had had the Luxere on his mind since he'd seen one with Ronin. While normally he didn't interact with many animals (or people for that matter) he found himself wanting to go and seek one out again, to feed one the way he had as a child. Whether it was out of some desire to face fears or of a simple nostalgia he wasn't sure, but before long he was gathering some fruit from the market in his arms and heading to the treeline of the woods.

Laying out some apples on the ground, he stepped back and waited, crouching in a spot with a bit less snow. He understood this part of the Luxere - he too would be hesitant to approach a man with random fruit, but he hoped eventually their hunger would overcome the shyness.

Sure that nobody was around, Sam even thought he might venture a song. Taking in a deep breath, he began to sing an old tune he'd found in a book in the Atheneum and given new life to, humming an imaginary rhythm when he was bored. The song was about knights, ogres, dragons...fanciful things he wasn't sure a Luxere would understand, but he supposed they wouldn't understand it anyway.

As he sung, he saw a flicker of light between the trees. Encouraged, he sang louder and stood up a little, his voice hardly wavering in the confidence that he was alone and it was working.

I'm starting to heal and find some faith
I'm starting to feel what's out of place
Don't need you to save me, I can't wait
To fall, to fail and start again
Seiji Okura
Musician

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: kae Offline
Change author:
S E I J I

This time, he hears the singing first.

Seiji walks alone through the woods, his breath a silver ghost above the collar of his coat. It still isn't enough to ward off the cold, but rested and fed, he moves with determination warming his veins. He has decided to explore the forest today, perhaps find the place where he came in. Came in — and does he really believe it? Everything Kiada told him? A part of him must still suspect this all a dream, but the longer it lasts the more he doubts this instinct. The frozen soil is certainly cold beneath his feet. The breeze certainly sharp. Everything stiff and brittle with winter. Though the season seems to have a different name, here.

He moves in the direction of the singing, now. Maybe because it feels portentous — he met a singing man on his first night in this wood, didn't he? Perhaps stumbling upon another one will lead him from his last day here... He approaches quietly, still wary, listening as the words run past his ears. It's a lovely voice. A complement to strange and wonderful lyrics. A story woven on the air, filling Seiji's head with images.

The man is so small Seiji nearly misses him at first. But there he is: a shock of orange hair against the snow. And beyond him: the glint of something moving between the trees. Seiji pauses, startled, as the creatures draw into view: like deer, but different. Thicker of build. And upon their heads: shining crowns. They approach carefully, each step uncertain. But  Seiji spies some fruit collected upon the ground before the man, and supposes these creatures must be his. Or at least, he must be calling them here. For some purpose.

Curious and awed in equal measure, Seiji stills himself to watch. He does not wish to frighten the man, but neither does he wish to scare away the animals. He decides to wait for an opening, for some end to this curious tableau, before he speaks and breaks the magic of it himself.

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight

I hope you don't mind me dropping in!
Nairi Hwang
Explorer

Age: 31 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 0 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Comet Offline
Change author:
She'd overheard about some talk about the sightings of a Luxere in the market earlier in the day. Upon further questioning, Nairi discovered that a Luxere was a special species of reindeer with bio-luminescent antlers. She was told that they only make their presence known during the colder months, and now was a good a time as any. Skittish, with a distaste of loud noises, and loves fresh fruit, hay and singing. Thinking that hay would be too difficult to manage while she stalked the deer, she got herself a handful of apples from a fruit vendor in the market and placed them in a small bag.

Nairi then began heading into the forest where the last sighting of the Luxere was spotted. It did not escape her that this was the very woods that she first appeared in, and as if on cue, the sound of someone singing filled the air. Although the voice was different, but lovely all the same,  it still gave her a sense of deja vu all the same.

Looks like she wasn't the only one stalking after the reindeer with the glowing antlers. Following in the direction of the singing, she decided that perhaps maybe whoever it was searching for the Luxere could perhaps join their efforts? As she got closer to the voice, she saw the brief flicker of glowing antlers in the trees ahead. She was so focused on the new sighting, that she almost missed the crouching red headed man with a small bunch of apples a short distance away from him. The man had began singing even louder now in an attempt to draw the Luxere closer. Grabbing her own small sack of apples, she begin to slowly creep towards him with a song of her own. She started off softly, gradually getting louder as she approached the man's location.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

SAMUEL
Sam jumped and abruptly stopped singing as he heard Nairi begin a song of her own behind him, the last few words out of his mouth panicked and quiet. He stared at her approach, an
uncomfortable smile on his face as embarrassment crawled under his skin. As he had turned to look at her, he spotted Seiji in the distance as well, also watching. He widened his eyes in surprise.

Two people had seen him sing. Sam could have sunk into the ground with how mortified he was by this fact, but the snow beneath seemed unwilling to open up. He took a nervous step back and watched Nairi sing, looking between her and the Luxere. Her voice, of course, was much nicer than his to his ears.

He didn't recognise either of them, which meant they were likely Outlanders. Outlanders who knew some of the traditions, clearly, but probably relatively new. As much as he would have liked to just run, Sam felt an odd sort of obligation to stay and help them in case they needed it.

The luxere began to respond to Nairi's singing, stepping beyond the treeline with it's antlers shining brightly. "W-Well done. Um. Sorry." Sam said, trying to apologise for stopping his own song.

Nairi Hwang
Explorer

Change author:
The red haired man seemed more shocked than she had originally anticipated. So much so that he actually stopped singing to focus his full attention on her with his stare as an uneasy smile spread across his visage. Despite his eyes being on her, she didn't let up, and instead raised her voice, singing louder to compensate for the loss of his singing. Nairi wondered if he was an Outlander like her, or one of those natives called Naturals. Honestly speaking, where he came from mattered none to her, that was simply her curiosity speaking after all. Her song was a little lullaby she'd learnt long ago about a mother's love for her child, and it was not something she had ever experienced for herself, being an orphan.

However, she must have sang well with such passion and melody that her efforts were starting to bear fruit. She had successfully managed in attracting the Luxere, and she watched tentatively while continuing her song as the animal began to slowly make its way closer to them. Its shining antlers were indeed a sight to behold, and for a moment, she almost stopped singing. Her new companion congratulated her, but she left that unanswered to focus on the lullaby. She didn't want to stop until it had reached the apples. The Luxere was getting closer with every step it took, and she did not want to jeopardise it.
Seiji Okura
Musician

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
S E I J I

The sound of a second song begins somewhere to the side, and Seiji glances with some surprise at the woman he met in this same forest some days ago. Was she here again for the same reason as he? He couldn't know, and she made no break in her song for conversation, so he couldn't ask her. He considered her a moment: her slow, purposeful stride and the bag of fruit in her hand. Was this something people did around here? Sing at animals and feed them fruit? He felt suddenly embarrassed, having no offering of his own.

He turned toward the man, and a second pang of surprise hit him. The man was clearly embarrassed as well — it shone in his body language like a beacon. He spoke in a small voice, and Seiji immediately regretted having snuck up on him at all. Moving a few paces nearer the man, so as not to interrupt whatever Nairi was doing, he offered a broad smile. "You have a very good voice," he said quietly, and gestured up at Nairi and the strange deer. "These are yours? Or...?"

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

SAMUEL
The woman walked past him and kept singing, seemingly not responding to his apology and looking away. Sam supposed it made sense. If he had heard his singing voice he would have ignored it too. He was fully ready to slink off into the forest and let the Luxere have all the apples without watching when the man spoke to him.

Sam shook his head. "Oh. Um...th-thank you, but I don't think so." He admitted with a shrug. For a moment he frowned as he tried to work out what Seiji's question meant. He certainly didn't own Nairi, nor would he ever own a human, and the Luxere belonged to nobody but themselves.

"...I...um...no? N-not her or the deer. Um. The apples...some of them are?" Sam pointed to the apples on the floor, which the Luxere was getting very interested in indeed. "Did you br-bring anything? It's a Deepfrost tradition."

Nairi Hwang
Explorer

Change author:
Nairi
Not all those who wander are lost.
Hearing a third voice behind her, made her took a quick glance to see who it was. The owner of the voice turned out to be none other than Seiji, one of the men she first met that night in the forest she arrived. She did nothing to hide the pleasant surprise at seeing him again. She gave him a brief smile, before resuming with her singing. The Luxure was coming closer by the second, and the bunch of apples were now just right there for it eat or sniff or whatever reindeers did with apples.

Nairi heard him give him a compliment about a nice voice, but she had no idea if he was referring to her new companion here or her, so she simply left that unanswered. As the Luxere began to approach the mess of apples on the ground, she stopped her song. The Luxure was now occupied with the apples, its radiant antlers in such an blindingly magnificent sight that it is highly likely that such a memory would not ever be forgotten.

She turned back to her red headed companion and to Seiji. Her knowledge of the tradition only went up to here. She knew of nothing else, and wasn't sure on how to proceed. Gesturing to the Luxure, she quietly asked. "So's what's next?"
Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I

A brief flicker of surprise crosses Seiji's expression when the man answers his question. Chuckling, he clarifies. "Not her; she is Nairi." He's surprised to see her again, but she doesn't seem to be paying either of them much attention at the moment, so he can't ask her what brings her back to the wood. Instead, he listens as the man explains about the deer and the apples. Seiji's expression falls just slightly as he hears it, and he presses a fingertip to his chin as he blinks at the deer. "I didn't know..." he sighs, frowning.

Around that time, Nairi finishes her song and looks back to them both. What now? indeed. Seiji glances at the stranger, still nameless, and waits for him to answer the question. He feels there are a lot of other questions he could ask, a lot of explanations he could give, but he has somehow managed to approach this situation sideways, and he suspects it best to merely listen for now. If he is going to be stuck here for any amount of time, he had just as well learn to respect the customs of the people properly.

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

SAMUEL
His new Outlander friends seemed to know how to charm a Luxere, but not why. Sam very rarely did anything without a 30 step plan, so this was unusual to him, but he tried his best to politely smile and explain.

"Well. Y-you can stroke them..." To show this he walked up to the Luxere and gently touched it's nose, stroking the fur there and then moving to it's neck. "They won't hurt you. And some people...some people take them into their houses for light. In the LongNight...d-do you know about the LongNight?" There was so much to take for granted when you had lived here your whole life, he realised.

Nairi Hwang
Explorer

Change author:
Nairi
Nairi's jaw dropped when Sam mentioned that their next step was to stroke the Luxere, and her mouth remained agape as he actually went forward to touch the reindeer's nose before stroking its fur. Several moments later when she finally got over her shock, she stepped forward herself and began petting the Luxere, gingerly at first, but as she began to get more confident, she began to feel more at ease at stroking such a magnificent creature.

Sam then mentioned something about the Long Night, which she knew nothing about. People brought the Luxere into their homes in the Long Night? What could that possibly be?

Nairi shook her head vigorously, the same way she always did when she wanted to show her feelings for something. " I do not know this Long Night. What is it about?" This had piqued her interest, and she wanted to know what this Long Night was, and why some people brought the Luxere into their homes during this particular night.
Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I
Following the others, Seiji moves carefully toward one of the luxere. He waits until it lifts its head to sniff at him, and gently presses his fingertips against the side of its cheek, then down its neck. The thick fur sinks beneath his touch, perfect armor against the cold. He can't find it in him to be jealous, though — the creature gazes at him with gentle eyes, and lit by the soft glow of its antlers, he feels at peace. He glances up at Samuel as the man speaks again, though. Something about a long night. Seiji is more surprised by the idea of bringing such a large creature into one's home.

"They don't mind?" he asks, surprised. Then he glances back at the luxere he'd been stroking. Tries to imagine such a creature clomping around on floorboards, pushing apples off the table, catching its antlers on things.... comical, almost. But the antlers would make a very good nightlight. Seiji smiles at the thought. As Nairi asks about the long night, something clicks in his head, and he glances back up at Samuel.

"Are they for light?" he wonders. Or perhaps something like luck? Longnight sounds as it if would be dark, at least.
The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

SAMUEL
Both of them seemed anxious to stroke the Luxere, but Sam kept doing it until they were both comfortable enough to try. Not wanting to overwhelm the creature, once they had approached he took his hand away and just watched with his hands in his pockets.

"The LongNight...it's coming s-soon. It's not actually...just one night. It's about a week. Where everything is d-dark and dangerous." Sam actually quite liked the LongNight despite this description, and his voice was lightly excited even with his stammer. "You need to be inside all week. Or monsters can...att-attack you. I don't know what they look like, though."

He nodded at Seiji's suggestion. Being the bearer of all this knowledge made him feel important in a way he often didn't get to, and Sam adopted a wise quiet smile. "Yes. They can be brought into h-homes for light. They are docile enough for it. But...i-if you are new, I would stay in the Rathskellar instead of doing it yourself. It's safer."

Nairi Hwang
Explorer

Change author:
Nairi
She'd not known anything about what the LongNight was, and Samuel had been so kind as to explain it to them. It wasn't actually a single night as the name suggested, but a week. Apparently, everything during that week would be dark and dangerous, and monsters would roam the darkness, attacking anyone or anything they see fit. Nairi was beginning to see how the Luxere fit into all of this.

He advised them both to stay indoors all week, to preserve their safety from the monsters that would seek to attack them. She felt a shiver go down her spine at the thought of some monsters in the darkness attacking her. She turned her gaze briefly from Samuel to look at the Luxere again.

"The Luxere would be a way to ward off these monsters in the darkness?" Seeing how new the both of them were to it, he suggested that they stay in the Rathskeller instead of trying to fend for themselves when the LongNight came. She shuddered again. "I think staying in the Rathskeller would be best, especially since this is my first."