Training we got innocence for days
Morgan~
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
- NATE -
there's a great unknown from you to me
& when your prayer's unheard and you don't believe
Any kind of preparation is good preparation, as far as Nate’s concerned for the moment. Longnight looms over them all, a stark nightmare he can’t wake up from. He feels like the passenger in an out of control car, hurtling towards a wall with no way to change it. At least training feels like something, even if he knows it won’t help.

Morgan had been so kind of to come out, to try and support them, and after what Nate had learned about her from Neron, he’s more willing to take her up on her help, more willing to show up to the balls of the oasis, a wooden sword in one hand, and a wooden dagger in the other, both borrowed from the monster hunters guild.

”So... you do stuff like this a lot, huh?” After the near silent walk they’d had, Nate had to do something to cut the tension, if only for himself.
so put your faith in the devil and the deep blue sea
put your trust in the light that you cannot see
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
Morgan

I will not be told where to stand
I will not be told what to say
Morgan was glad that at least someone had taken her up on her training offer. She had a lot of legitimate things to teach and the Ascended, as far as she knew, were hardly an army - the more she could show how to fight, the more chance they had of not being entirely wiped out by the end of Longnight.

She didn't know Nate, was vaguely aware he was Sunjata's husband, but that didn't matter as long as he was willing to learn. His wooden weapons told her right away he wasn't too experienced, didn't want anything too intense. That was fine, but it did make her worry about how he'd be against a foe that wasn't going easy on him. She supposed all she could do was help get him to a higher level and hope for the best.

As they arrived at the Oasis and Nate spoke, Morgan nodded. "Yes. I was Guard Captain for many years and often trained my recruits. Don't worry, I know how to train all levels of expertise." Basically, she was prepared if he was absolutely useless. Lifting her hammer off her back, Morgan nodded at Nate. "Why don't you show me what you know, to start?"
Not by you
Not by anyone tonight
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
- NATE -
Nate can’t help but notice the all levels of expertise phrase, his brow rising even as he shrugged, unable to refute the statement. He was an absolutely beginner at sword play, and likely far below her level in nearly every type of combat, with the sole exception of boxing. ”I’m surprised no one else has taken you up on this.”]/say] He says instead of anything else, trying to keep this as friendly as he could.

”I think you might be disappointed.” He warns her, before steadying himself, and growing serious. Nate tries to hold the sword like it’s a much smaller blade, the length growing awkward in his hand almost immediately, but no more than when he steps to close to the Warden to actually use his blade, a fact he realizes almsot immediatey and far too late.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Morgan

"I am too. I'm worried it's down to fear. Which I understand, but..." Morgan sighed, weighing her hammer in her hands, shifting it between her fingers. "The best way to avoid a poor outcome in all of this is to be as prepared as possible." Even she was training herself more in these weeks, unsure her skills were enough to face off against all the Grounds had to throw at them; she'd never actually seen these monsters face to face.

Though her focus quickly shifted to concern for Nate as she watched him approach, wobblily and unsure with the blade he carried, so unsteady she could easily sidestep his movements. "...Do you know how to hold that?" She had not realised quite how green he was, but they all had to start somewhere. holding her hammer out before her like it was his sword, she placed her hands slightly apart. "You need a larger area of grip, and try to keep it in close to yourself when not swinging. If you had a shield you could manage with one hand, but since you don't, we will focus on two."

Assuming he copied her hands, she would then swing before herself with the hammer in the air. "Try this - up, then down. Quick. Then back to yourself."
Not by you
Not by anyone tonight
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Nate nods his understanding, his agreement to her words about fear and preparedness both. And he realized that perhaps he’s out of his depth here, his first attempt at being prepared apparently falling far short of what he intends.

”I figured it wasn’t too much different from a knife.” He admits after a moment of reluctant silence. Perhaps this hadn’t been the best place to start after all, something he was utterly unfamiliar with. It’s too late to switch it up though, so instead he changes his grip, adjusting it as Morgan demonstrates. ”I don’t think a shield will actually help too much.” He tries to joke, readjusting himself as she demonstrates a simple swing.

He can do that, at the very least. Once he’s got the gist, the basic moves, he can copy them. Up, down, in. Nate even does it twice, just to be sure Morgan won’t correct him, before offering her a grin. ”Alright. Whats next?”
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan

"Ah. You're good with a knife? ...Can I ask why you didn't bring one?" Surely it made sense to stick to what he knew, even if it didn't look as impressive as running into battle with a huge sword; with someone who knew what they were doing, a dagger could be just as effective. Morgan nodded as he adjusted his grip, but wondered if it would just be easier to go back to what he was familiar with. "You'll need to adjust your centre of gravity to use this."

He, at least, could swing it forwards. "Now you can do a basic swing, lets try and defend. Hold your weapon up like this--" Morgan held her sword across herself at chest height, arm tense and strong. "This will work if someone is trying to aim towards your head or chest - you need to keep an eye on where they are aiming." Assuming he took up the position, she would swing down towards his head and chest, not too hard, hoping to be blocked.
Not by you
Not by anyone tonight
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
"One of the weapons I was able to get my hands on was a sword." He begins by way of explanation, still shifting and making small adjustments to his grip, his stance. "I want to be able to use anything I can pick up, if I need to." Longnight was always a panicked dash, no matter their plans, and he figured it was better to cover every base he could now, while he had the chance, the foresight.

Say what you will about his shitty decision, Nate is at least a quick hand in picking up what Morgan shows him, lifting the sword in a mirror of the position she demonstrates, lifting and lowering it to get used to the motion, knowing weight wouldn't really be an issue for him. Unblinking eyes stay locked on the Warden, watching where she aims, and lifting the sword to block the overhead swing. "Look at me, huh?" It's not quite gloating, he knows more than anyway he still has a way to go before even being considered a novice, but why not celebrate the baby steps?
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan

"They must have knives in the Grounds somewhere. But you're right. It is good to be adaptable to whatever you can find." She nodded, looking at his unsure hands on the hilt of the sword. Morgan wasn't sure if now, just before such a dangerous and important fight, was the time to learn new skills...but if that was what Nate wanted, and what he had right now, she'd work with it.

At least he did indeed seem to be a fast learner. She nodded as he correctly blocked her strike, though didn't respond to his bragging; it was a bit early for that. Without saying anything, to test him further, she then stepped back and quickly surged forwards again with a swing coming from below, to see if he would move fast enough for that. Of course, she wouldn't actually cut him, just tap against his legs, if she did get past.
Not by you
Not by anyone tonight
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
”Im bringing daggers too, don’t you worry about me.” Nate rumbles, appreciating the concern while simultaneously doing his absolute damnedest to not think about it at all. He can’t afford any more worry, can’t afford anything other than complete focus on the task at hand.

While Nate might be new to a sword, he is not at all new to fights. He steps back out of the way of the swing, remembering at the last moment the point of what they’re doing and lowering the wooden blade to try and block Morgan’s strike.

Then he goes one step further, and swings forward himself, not so much aiming at anything as he is trying to get the feel for the motion and the power behind it.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan

"Good. It's always good to have a back up, regardless." And honestly, she thought Nate would need it. She could teach him up until the last minute, but it could take years for someone to truly grow comfortable with a long blade in their hands, and the monsters would not be easy combatants. He would need to be able to react quickly and precisely, which he clearly wasn't going to with the sword.

Still, more practice wasn't going to hurt, so she encouraged his blocks and swings, stepping about and challenging him over and over until he wanted to give up (because she would not end it until he did - she always liked to see how far her students could go). When he did, Morgan would tell him he did well, because having the courage to pick up the weapon at all was something worthy of praise; she could only hope he did well enough to survive.

Fin
Not by you
Not by anyone tonight