now you'll never drink alone
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
It's Lord of the Flies in my mind tonight
Not returned, but new. And so there is no name, just a feeling, a presence in her mind. Like mini bright lights, she can direct a message to single individuals - but without a name it feels rather rude - even with an apology. So her message is softer, more intimate than the announcements that came before.

Hi, she begins. It’s Wessex. I’m sorry, I don’t know your name. Would you meet me at the Kraai tonight? I’d like to meet you.. It seems like that might be the end of the message until the Wraith realizes that she’s forgotten a very important element. Ah, I’m blonde, short hair - not at all dressed for the weather. That might help.

Which brings us to now, where she’s settled into a ‘comfortable’ chair (or so it looks, she can’t tell), whiskey in hand and armed with her thoughts. Every now and then she looks towards the door as if she might be able to predict who this new mystery Ascended might be.
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
Elide

Elide was dutifully attending to her studies, her diligent note-taking. She was trying to more fully digest and strategize over what Deimos had told her, snippets of key information regarding the monsters of the longest night of the year. So it would be, still, perhaps the longest night of her life to date. Or the shortest, she supposed callously.

Her grip around her feverishly-working pencil tightens when a voice not of her own breaks the silence. So she straightens rigidly, knowing exactly who it is. She had hoped it would be soon but, she was not expecting it so soon.

Elide is standing before any invitation is extended to her, before the Kraai is even mentioned. Though it does catch her attention when it's uttered, and she makes a mental note of where she's going, who she's looking for, but otherwise she is distractedly hurrying out of the door. No coat is grabbed, not even out of habit.

She brings only herself as she enters the bar. She's not quite dressed for the weather, either, adorned with simple garments. She pauses until her eyes lock with someone else's. Blonde, short hair.. that's her, alright.

Lifting her chin, Elide makes her way across the Kraai with more control than she had in making her way across Snowcloak. "You must be Wessex, then?" She presumes, voice level, but her forehead is noticeably wrinkled and her lips form a small, tight-lipped frown. "My name is Elide. You talked to me, twice now, and yet this is the first time I am able to speak with you," she tilts her head slightly, "It's a relief that you're here now, at least. I hope you have more news to share?"
I have a deeply hidden and inarticulate desire
for something beyond the daily life
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
A tall (as tall as her, perhaps), lean woman approaches her with purpose, a determined, if not marginally upset look upon her face. It’s hard to tell sometimes, what concerned versus upset looks like on others, so the Wraith decides to tread lightly. Warmly. Not to dismiss that this might be a stressful time for the new Ascended, that everything about this season is unusual.

Goddess, what a time to decide to Ascend.

She rises as the other approaches, extending a hand to greet her, squeezing firmly if it’s taken or falling back to her side if it’s denied. “I am. Nice to meet you, Elide. Please, sit.” Gesture to the other chair, which sits more to one side than directly across the table from her, Wessex sits back down and resettles herself, leaning forward on one of the chair’s arms. “Sorry it’s taken a while to come to Halo. I was taking a much needed rest at the beginning of Deepfrost and once I came back, everything seemed to explode.”

Such are the problems of being a leader. Especially when two out of three people who are supposed to help you are missing.  

“I do, I think. I hope. Not necessarily answers, but news. Where should I start?”
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Elide

Elide accepts the extended olive branch, shaking Wessex's hand. "It's good to finally meet you." She does not sit, however, at the invitation. She merely steps back, glancing at the seat as if considering it but, her gaze levels back on Wessex first.

"You have your hands full," she offers a gentle incline of her head in understanding, "I did not expect you to come so soon, with that in mind. Thank you for coming to see me." It's after saying this that Elide finally takes her seat. As for drinks, she has little interest.

Her cautious gaze is pretty well glued to Wessex the whole time, that small pinch of her brow still planted. Elide is... nervous, feeling unprepared, wanting to know what's to happen, so on and so forth. If she is upset, it's not in a way that would prompt her to aggravate or point fingers.

"News is just as good as answers. I suspect there is a plan already in motion," Elide settles her arms on the counter and folds her hands over one another, "but, it's my understanding that all of the Ascended are meant to be there to aid in this fight. I am not opposed, if that is what's been decided, then there isn't much else for me to do." She says this with conviction, decidedly loyal to the cause of the Ascended, and whatever plots follow them. So long as it is in the name of something good, anyway. Getting rid of the LongNight monsters is certainly a good cause...

"However, I don't have the means to access the portal this time of year... as I am sure you're aware." Her brows furrow deeper, "So, what is expected of those of us who are stuck here?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
A small part of Wessex relaxes when it becomes clear that Elide isn’t here with teeth bared and knives drawn. She can handle dissent and differing opinions, but it makes it all the easier when she doesn’t have to push back. When she can just… be. Listening carefully, the Wraith waits until she’s finished to begin answering the questions and attempting to offer reassurances.

“There’s a plan. A loose one, your basic lure and trap with a fake house. I imagine that it’ll start out solid and then eventually devolve, because no matter how hard we try, we can’t predict what the Monsters are going to do. They aren’t always rational. They’ll try to trick us - and once one knows something, they all know it.” This isn’t the best way to start telling the newbie what they’re up against, but the danger and risk needs to be laid out honestly. Maybe a bit more piecemeal, though? Ease her into it?

“Unfortunately I don’t know how the Voice will get you, Kiada, and anyone else who isn’t already in the Grounds there. And I don’t know when, other than before LongNight. It could be tomorrow, could be the day before…” she shrugs. If only their prayers had been answered in a timely manner, they might have had some answers. As it is - in an uncharacteristic turn of events, they’ll go this somewhat alone. It’s unsettling. Reckless. And it undermines a bit of her faith in their Lady, if she’s being honest.  

“So here’s what I think you can do. Keep training. And find someone with magic or a powerful shift that you can bite. We’ll have the Warden with us, but I don’t think she’ll appreciate being used as a drinking fountain.” Given what they both know about the Glacier, it's likely that she'd offer out of a feeling of obligation if her people came empty-handed, but Wessex doesn't want to make presumptions about that potential scenario.

Falling silent for a bit, she allows space and time for Elide to take all that in.
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Change author:
Elide

Elide's apprehension grows in the silence. Wessex is listening very intently to her, and on any normal occasion she'd only be appreciative of this, but for some reason it only makes her even more uneasy. When she's finished with her concerns, and Wessex begins speaking, there is a significant slump to her very tensed up shoulders.

Her gaze drops, lifts, wanders, trying to imagine this plan Wessex is speaking of - how it might work, how it might not. Elide is not an experienced fighter yet, and she's never fought the LongNight monsters before to top it all off. If Wessex were more confident in this plan, and less resigned to it eventually coming undone, it might've genuinely made her feel better. But she suspected, deep down, that nothing would be foolproof. This only confirms that.

There's no flash of deeply realized panic that crosses Elide's features; only a darkened, sobered expression. The realizations have already been made, and she's already resigned to her path potentially ending in the darkness. It was hope of something different that's crushed here.

"Before LongNight?" Elide echoes quietly, making note of that and adding to herself, "It will be soon, then." She'll have to prepare for that, now that it's no longer a 'maybe' but a 'definitely'.

Her spine straightens and she finally looks back up at Wessex, "I will continue training and preparing but, I don't think I will find anyone here like that. Deimos-" she shakes her head, "I would not ask that of him. It will have to be someone else, who is willing," she frowns, "or no one at all and I bring only myself."

"What advantages do we have other than a trap, if any?" She asks after a few minutes of contemplation.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Wessex almost snorts at the idea of Deimos letting someone bite him. “No, I don’t imagine Deimos is willing to give himself over to the bite’s side effects…” Supposedly he fucks - or he used to - but the big guy’s face doesn’t come to mind when she thinks of casual ecstasy.

She tries to think of the other Halovians she knows… Morgan and Neron are in the Grounds, Chulane is likely off limits. Loren is missing. Korbin… No. A small, tight grimace flashes across her face as she starts to run out of names. “Noah might be able to help. And I heard Aisha was here?” It’s the best she can do, but maybe Elide can do better. Or maybe… well, no, first she ought to answer the question.

“We have two hiding places, barricades, and an assortment of powers and tech. We have… me. And each other. Imagination. Ingenuity. We’re smarter than them.” A brief pause. “And we can call a retreat if it looks like things are getting too bad.” They have options and they have a plethora of options at their fingertips, if only they would just - Wessex looks down and take a quick sip of her drink before coming back up to the conversation.

Her brow furrows ever so slightly as she looks at Elide from across the table. “Tell me, what do you know about Eirachi’s power?”
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Change author:
Elide

"Perhaps.." Elide whispers thoughtfully. Whether she has the gall to ask such a thing, or the time, is another matter. It's likely that she doesn't. But it's been enough time for her to be okay with whatever happens, however it happens. As long as the Ascended claim victory, then the worst case scenario will at least not have been in vain. She will file this issue away for later; there might be opportunities to look for, after all.

She nods quietly as Wessex lists off potential advantages. She hopes that they will be able to win this simply because of the fact that they are better than the monsters. They will all have to be at their best.

When the topic of Eirachi comes up, it snags Elide's attention. It's an unexpected question and, at first glance, seems irrelevant. Somethings tells her it's not.

She shakes her head and, although taken by surprise, she offer what she knows, "I know this is her land, essentially. She's taken hold of it over many years in exchange for giving her help to the people that live here. That's why the snow will never melt... I can only imagine her power is very strong, to keep all of Halo frozen over," her brows furrow again, "Why do you ask?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“I’m always curious to see if I might learn something new.” Not quite the whole truth, Wessex half shrugs and takes a sip of her drink, swilling it in one hand. “And it’s in our arsenal. So. Just curious.” What it will do for them - or not - is anybody’s guess.

Could she freeze the monsters? Seal them inside something? Encase a burning house in ice or bury them in the ruins? Glancing idly at her fingertips, she doesn’t linger on the possibilities dwelling within them. Instead, she puts that glass down and reaches into a bag that’s been half-hidden at her side. Pulling out a fist-sized object, she places it gingerly on the table in-between them

“How’s your aim?” she asks, glancing up at the Halovian. “Tell me the truth, I can’t give this to someone who’s going to be a danger to themselves and others.”
Elide Pendragon
Researcher / Hunter

Change author:
Elide

Elide's expression stiffens at the notion that Eirachi is 'in our arsenal'. She tries not to look too worried about that, but, she can't help the hint of warning in her tone as she says, "Eirachi doesn't often do things that prove to be of no benefit to her. As you can see, Halovians have given up any hope of the snow melting, just to save ourselves from famine and... All I can say, is be careful what you ask - or give." But that's all she can say, shrugging. She doesn't know the goddess on a personal level, so... perhaps she will be more willing to help the Ascended than Elide thinks.

Wessex moves for a bag at her side and Elide can't help but follow the movements, follow her hands as something is retrieved. A special item of sorts. At least, it doesn't look like any normal item. Brows raise in question towards the demi-god as its placed between them.

The question is put in a way that's almost accusational but Elide understands the need to be sure. Only, she won't find it within herself to lie just to make Wessex feel good about this. "I can guarantee nothing except my best," she lifts her chin, eyeing the other woman for her reaction, "if you want me to, I will use it. I've been a hunter all my life, the crossbow is my weapon of choice; I believe my aim is decent. What exactly is this?" she reaches for the item now, to at least examine it, "How does it work?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Mmmm. I’ve gotten that impression more than once,” she answers with a nod of acknowledgement to the warning. The Citadel’s fiasco last LongNight is still fresh in her mind; and while she cannot hope to wield the Eirachi’s power in such a finessed way, it might be the kind of last-ditch effort that saves them. “Noted, thank you.”

The crystal seems to pulse a bit, warm and living - not actually warm, mind - especially not to them. “It’s a crystal that's been imbued with fire magic. But as you know, that’s dangerous to us as well. It’s a one-use thing. You seem competent and level-headed enough to judge well when to use it and when not to.” Especially knowing she’s a hunter, who’s had to judge the correct timing for taking a shot.

“Point and shoot, I think, mostly controlled with your mind. Like it’s an extension of you. Wear something between your skin and it - a glove or two. I have no idea if it can be used without someone holding it. I’m sorry, I wish I had more specifics on it.”

It was something - a risky something - but more than they had before.
-----------------

The crystal was imbued with fire magic in: redemption burns hot and bright

{Fin}