like fire burn through
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
rose vines are as lovely when they wrap tight over your limbs and shatter your bones
Dawn filters in through a window in the lighthouse, shedding pale light on a pair of candles. They're made with vibrant, colorful petals from cape primroses and camellia. Shades of deep violet and pale pink, accented by soft white. Aurelia lights the wicks but the strike of her match is the only sound she makes for some time. It's a humble offering and she knows it but, she didn't know what else to bring.

"I don't know how these things usually go, or what to say..." she admits into the chilly air, glancing over the small flames.

First it had been the lantern, the baubles, then the rambutan wine, the bracelet, and now.. these candles. She's found that she likes making things, even if she isn't the most adept at it. She does it only so it can make the people she loves happy, to bring a bit of light into their world. Gods know she's tired of being the darkness in her own.

"The flowers these are from usually only bloom at the beginning of the year," her chin lifts, shifts as she lets the words rise into the eerily still air. But she doesn't know if anyone's listening, and maybe she's speaking to soften that blow. Her head lowers again, "I used to collect the petals for my sisters, every year. They liked to make candles like these out of them. I was never very good at it, but, I tried," she lets out a small, breathy laugh and smiles softly at the memories. Though her jaw aches from a debilitating wave of sadness that washes over her, she carries on, "For us, they.. were.. a symbol of hope. Something to let us know the worst was behind us. You represent life, so I thought you might like that..."

Her breath huffs into the air, ragged and trailing. The scent of her offering is calming, at least. It's sunshiny and offers a sweet promise of Flowerbirth, of brighter days, of things to look forward to. It eases some of the anxiety that tightens her muscles.

"I know you don't... want to hear from the Abandoned. I'm sorry," her eyes finally lift, shadowed by a turmoil of churning emotions, "but.. please.. all I want is a chance. I want to be more than this."

Redeeming Aurelia's CotS reward:
  • Receive a random encounter with a god
She's praying to Safrin!
Aurelia
code credits go to Skylark!<3

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
sweet dreams till sunbeams find you, sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
"So you and your siblings collected the blooms of a rare plant...and instead of letting it blossom, you muddled your way through making it a candle? Something to burn?" Safrin's voice rings out like a beautiful refrain, despite the harsh criticism of her words. "And this is what you chose to represent hope? Plucking the beauty of a living thing and reducing it to ash and wax."

Appearing in a star shower that's bright and vibrant, the display of lights coalesces into Safrin's galactic gaze as she looks softly at the smuggler. "When you and your sisters plucked your petals..did you not go for the most perfect first? Those that boasted the most colour, whose blooms promised to make the best candles?" Softly Safrin shrugs. "So it is with you. As an abandoned you are...already tainted, from the inside out."
but in your dreams whatever they be, dream a little dream of me
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
rose vines are as lovely when they wrap tight over your limbs and shatter your bones
Aurelia visibly tenses as the accusations manifest in a voice that is dark in such a beautiful way. She takes faltering steps back, gaze swiveling around the room in search of the one whose voice it is. A heavy knot lies in her throat, no way to reach for a defense.

It would appear nothing she ever does is enough. Not for anything. And as Safrin appears in an embodiment of bright, starry light, her feet too will fail her. She slumps backwards onto the cold, cold floor. The words spoken might suggest that the deity is enraged, but such an emotion makes no appearance on her expression or in her tones. If the contents of them had been lighter, Aurelia might have found comfort in such a voice.

She stutters, searching for the right words, swallowing the fear clutching in her throat. Something about Safrin's beauty is wholly intimidating in this moment, as she looks down on her. Aurelia's brows furrow and her mouth runs dry.

Is it truly the flowers that are the problem here, though? Something tells her it's not. She was condemned from the start, and maybe it wouldn't have mattered what offering she had to give. "You're right... I'm sorry," the words are earnest all the same, for her intention had not been to upset Safrin; the opposite, in fact.

Her gaze darkens with a flinch, "I don't know how to mend the pain I've caused. Please..." She slouches forward, gazing up at the star, pleading, "You're the only one I'll go to, and if you won't have me then- then I don't know what I'll do. You represent everything that's been missing from my life for so long, you're everything I need. I've made mistakes... I know that, and I'm trying but... it's... never enough. That's why I need you. I meant it when I said I want to be more than this."

"I want to give others hope... and light, but I don't know if I can do it on my own," the words are a shaky promise from her place on the ground, but it doesn't emphasize just how low she feels in this moment.
Aurelia

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
sweet dreams till sunbeams find you, sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
Safrin shrugs off the apology, caring very little way or another. It isn't the girl's fault that she's damned, but nor is it Safrin's duty to care about it.

But then...

The words that ring next from the smuggler's tongue catch Safrin's attention like a cat who has suddenly seen a beam of light against the wall. The only one, she says. You're everything I need. I need you.

Why if those aren't the magic words.

Reaching a hand forward, Safrin lays the backs of her fingers against Aurelia's cheek, considering her. 'A smuggler, who wants to bring hope and light? A pirate who wants to be better?" She tuts under her breath, though her smile is growing. "There is nothing you can do to unmake what you are. Only being reborn in this world as a demigod would do that, and that—" Safrin gently boops the abandoned on the nose. "—is an honour you've not come close to earning."

But, burned as Safrin was currently feeling, chastized by god, disobeyed by Ronin...well perhaps there could be some room for Aurelia. "What it is you think you need from me to give others hope? To be a light?"
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Confidence slowly but surely trickles back in on the twinkles of Safrin's light, on the twinkle in her eye as she regards Aurelia. The touch to her cheeks is startlingly gentle, but she makes no move to pull away. She's anchored by it, a relieved breath trembling through her that she didn't know she was holding in.

The boop of her nose, however, draws an ever-so-slight smile to the edges of her lips and a hopeful raise of her brows. For a moment, her mind draws blank.

What she needs from Safrin? There's a lot to unpack there, and Aurelia had never dreamt in a million years that she would be standing (or, well, sitting) in front of the goddess, being asked this question. She didn't know what one, single thing to ask for. She fears that anything she might request could be too much - or even too little.

But the question isn't what she needs, it's what she needs to give others hope. The answer comes a little easier than expected, in that case.

"Let me take their pain, Safrin. Somehow, some way," it starts as a whisper, but she recovers, "You're beyond gracious to give me anything more than your time. But.. if you give me the chance to ensure life, to spread your light, I won't disappoint you. I will be forever indebted to you, if only it means I can protect the ones that need it and the people that I love." She makes these promises in rapid succession, not a hint of doubt to linger in her words. She frowns with gentle determination, "I don't want to watch life burn away..." and she doesn't want to lose anyone else, either.
Aurelia

Change author:
"Will that protect them, do you think? Or will it make them more reckless?" The goddess wonders, her head tilted slightly to the side as her eyes narrow with a playful sort of introspection. "After all, if your presence keeps them free of worry and pain, why should they believe life to be anything other than a mere waking dream?" Slowly her head shakes. "Pain is a useful tool. Without it you all would blindly fall over cliffs thinking yourselves capable of flight."

But all of this is not necessarily a no. Just a...not that.

"Shields at least are indication that some sort of protection is needed... At least that way those you protect might be aware that they were in danger, rather than you simply absorbing away their injuries...But is that what you would want it for? Physical harm?"
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia's lips draw still as Safrin's luminous voice tilts through her racing thoughts and words. The inquiry is enough to make her start, eyes trailing thoughtfully along the starry, cosmic light before her. She's trying to keep her head screwed on, not dwell on the fact that she can't quite believe this is happening. Although she also can't help that her pulse races against her skin with rhythmic, gentle thumps.

Pain is a teacher of many important lessons. It humbles those that wish to test limits, it cries for justice from those that are wrong, it pleads for a lifeline when people are dealt injustice, it draws back the hand that wanders too close to a flame. Pain has, perhaps, been the most ever-present teacher in Aurelia's life.

Her heart softens, chest caves, as she realizes that Safrin is impeccably correct. "If I give them false confidence, that could put them in more danger instead... and I can't protect them from everything, can I?" She reflects, finally bringing her green eyes back to Safrin's face, sounding a little disappointed at that last part.

"A shield," she tries to imagine how that might look on her, replacing the swing of a blade with the block of something mightier. It could grow on her, that style, she thinks. "That would be... awesome," she smiles, though she grows serious again very quick, "Well- physical harm is what I had in mind... it seems to be the most prevalent." Her brows furrow in consideration, because in the end, "If you think it would be better for something else, then I'll protect life in the way you think I should," her taut muscles ease a bit, eyes hopeful. "Truly, I'm here for your guidance."
Aurelia

Change author:
The goddess shakes her head, in soft but firm agreement. "There are few who could protect everyone at all times...and even they know enough not to." She says, speaking of course of Vi and Mort. Rae, presumably, could as well, were they ever bothered to care.

"No need to be so literal." Safrin says, the abandoned's thoughts as easy to pluck from her mind as one might pluck a flower. "Not all shields need to be physical and cumbersome." Indeed, what the goddess had in mind was a shield of starlight that might both accomplish what Aurelia had in mind as much as it might be a calling card of the goddess who gave it to her.

Well, gave is a bit misleading. She'll absolutely have to work for it.

'Everything comes at a price of course. And I wouldn't allow any of my gifts to be placed in the hands of one who is unworthy of them.." The goddess's eyes narrow as her head tilts, regarding Aurelia for a moment as she considers. "..and I won't allow my shield to be a crutch, either. Prove yourself capable and worthy, and then return to me."

Aurelia must

1. EITHER kill someone (can be an NPC, but must have 5 posts each in the thread), OR do a heroic deed (can be done with an NPC, but again must have 5 posts each).
2. Complete two training threads for this season, with a capture-the-flag type mentality, where Aurelia has to keep something safe from her opponent.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia perks up with interest at the notion that it doesn't need to be 'physical and cumbersome'. Right. Safrin could probably make it nonphysical, or something easy to wield. Safrin could probably make it whatever she wanted it to be, and that only fills Aurelia with even more inspiration.

She understands fully why she must work for this shield, whatever form it may take, and she is more than willing to do that. At this, she finally gets to her feet, being sure not to stand too tall before the goddess. "Thank you, Safrin... I won't disappoint you, you won't regret giving me a chance. I promise - and I will return," she says all of this in complete earnest and makes her quiet leave, wasting not a moment.

fin!<3
Aurelia