Training cease to bow to fear
for Peter
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
I've embraced the torch passed to me
owned what I've been called to be
Truth be told, Wessex is a little worried about the Torchline contingent - other than Nate, of course. Peter and Adam are there, if she recalls correctly, and she can’t remember either of them being particularly strong or level-headed. That’s purely speaking from a lack of knowing them, but she has a feeling that her perceptions aren’t far from the truth. The Wraith has sent a message ahead to wherever it is they’re staying and offered to do a bit of training with them before LongNight. Just meet her at the Rainbow Road.

At night.

The moon allows a bit of the road's color to show through, which is pretty enough but it’s the geysers and mist she’s really looking for - the distractions, the unfamiliar place. It’ll do.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
PETER

Peter remembers Wessex, if only from brief, impersonal meetings. He remembers a queen, and honestly, he’s glad that not everything has changed, even if this was a new again development. When the message arrives, he’s more than happy to answer it, to slip into the dark of the night towards the techno colour brightness of the geyser field.

There are no implements of war carried on his person, no weapons sitting at his side or strapped to his back, but Peter seems nonplussed by his own apparent lac of preparedness. ”Good evening.” He says, once he’s close enough to not have to raise his voice, something that’s almost a smile on his lips.
when you cry your face is momentary
You hide your looks behind these scars
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
While she saw Peter at the meeting, it still takes her a minute to remember that the face she knew is no longer the face he wears (and boy, does she have questions about what made that possible). Wessex isn’t startled, it just takes her an extra long moment to remember that this is him now. An almost-smile matches his as she nods. “Hi Peter. Glad you came.”

Glad you’re taking this seriously.
Unlike Adam, it seems.

He probably has some questions, and on any normal day she’d be happy to have a conversation with him, but time is of the essence. “Are you familiar with your new Ascended senses? Have you tried any of them out in the dark?” If not, he’s about to.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
PETER

Peter only just stops himself from bowing, far too late for the gesture anyway, but he still seems to shrink under the long stare, self conscious and uncomfortable. ”Of... of course I did. I always will.” A flaw, perhaps, but he responded well to orders, and anything that sounded a lot like them.

There is something that could be mistaken for outright enthusiasm in his voice when he speaks, nodding all the while. ”I’ve been... exploring, and testing things in the jungle. It’s... I’m much better than I used to be.” And not only for the speed, or the strength. ”Different though. In... a lot of ways.”

It’s even more uncomfortable to speak so frankly, so he shifts again, worrying at his lip and looking out over the Rainbow Road. ”What did you have planned?”
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Very different,” she readily agrees with the hint of a glinting smile. It’s good to hear him acknowledge it as better than he was before; there are some pitfalls, of course, they aren’t perfect yet. But it might happen at some point in the future. “Good, I’m glad you feel that way, because there’s no going back.” If it sounds wry, it’s because it is - the Old Gods would never accept someone who’s Ascended back into their fold, let alone someone who chose to leave Mort’s Realm.  

“I was thinking we could work on speed and stealth,” Wessex offers, indicating their steamy surroundings. “Like tag… I guess?” Which seems silly to say, almost silly to engage in, but would be a good, easy exercise for the Wraith to gauge his abilities without chance of injury. Thoroughly intending to take him off guard, she arches a brow in a semi-predatory gaze and tells him bluntly, “Run.”
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER

As the Demi-gods smile grows, so does his. ”You mean... I can’t die again?” Pet’s voice is so dry it’s impossible to tell if he’s joking, though the slow tilt of his head is far too intentional to be anything less than his own awkward brand of joke. Even if he had the choice, Pet isn’t sure he’d go back, content with this kind of existence so far, even blossoming in places.

”Tag?” Chewing his lip, Pet nods, wondering how the countdown will begin, and watching Wessex intently as she drops into a predators stance. No sooner has the word left her mouth than Pet is spinning, heading for the tree line and up, trying to break up her line of sight and disappear among the slowly waving branches.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
What’s crazy when you think about it is how fast the Wraith is. Nigh on invisible in the daylight when she tries to be, at night she more or less is to the average eye. Quieter than a lynx, than an owl in flight, she can dodge and run and - well, she can’t predict where he’s going, but she might be able to beat Peter to it.

He, too, is fast. A pleasant surprise that paints a joyful, feral grin on her face as she arrives at the tree line. Who knows where the steam from the Rainbow Road goes - does it filter their way or does the ocean winds change against her favor? How long is she there before he sees her pale face against the wine-dark sky?

Hopefully she can take him by surprise and cause him to change course as she reaches out to tap him, eager to spring away and sprint off to the left, then arc back down into the geysers and lose him amongst the spontaneous eruptions.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER

Wessex is like a gust a wind of wind that even his newfound abilities can keep up with. He’s lost before he even realizes it, too busy trying to catch a glimpse of her behind him to look ahead until it is far, far too late. Her hopes are well placed, Pet trying and failing to change course, to avoid those reaching fingers.

A single disappointed sigh leaves him before he focuses again, trying to keep sight of the Queen. A venture that seems impossible, until he sees the blur of motion, heading back down toward the geysers.

This is a game that requires a touch more tact on his part, Pet racing down into the geysers spray and then pausing, ducking low to creep through the ever present mit silently, trying as hard as he can to get the drop on Wessex.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Speed and tactics are, of course, what she’s trying to nudge him towards, without coming out and saying it. Will it be useful in the week to come? Hell fucking no Maybe. But if it isn’t, then at least it’s good practice for some foreboding, distant or not-too-distant future.

Wessex manages to easily tap Pet before racing off again, but as the back of her disappears back into the geysers and the steam, she abruptly slows, thinking that movement might send the steam into motion and give her away. Teleporting would be cheating (and what’s the fun in that when the demigod already has the advantage?), so instead, the Wraith moves as fluidly as she can, trying to refrain from any sudden movements.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER

Peter stays low to the ground, concealing himself along with the mist that hangs in the air, and trying to find any minute trace he could of Wessex. He’s at a distinct disadvantage here, even a lifetime of honed skills is nothing compared to the natural abilities of a literal Demi-god. None of that stops him from trying.

Maybe he’s just a breath too obvious, when he finally stumbles (almost literally) across Wessex, Pet’s desperate hands reaching out ahead of him to try and tag her back before she has the chance to run away. Is he successful? Most certainly not, but he’s gotten close enough to feel some sense of accomplishment.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
That’s all she ever wants - for them to try.

Attempting to do what she does would be asinine. Pure stupidity. No, like she told Bastien, they all need to play to their strengths and she’s currently trying to figure out what Pet’s are.

A geyser erupts right beside her, muffling his footsteps so that he’s able to get closer than he might have realized. Another one erupts to their left, conveniently pulling her attention and Pet is able to touch her, fingers brushing against the fabric of her clothes before she reacts and jerks away - but does it count? She chuckles and waggles her fingers at him and says “Good. Stay there.” Bounding ahead about 50 feet, she turns around and gives a fanged smile.

“Creep up on me again. At random intervals I’ll turn around and you have to freeze. If I see you move while I’m turned around, you have to start over.” And then she turns her back and waits.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER

Peter catches the edge of fabric in his fingers, and despite the lack of recognition, he counts it. With everything stacked against him, it feels like a victory, however small.

Creeping is something he’s good at, an exercise that Pet is confident in. ”Understood.” He calls softly, waiting until her back is turned to start creeping forward. He has no qualms about doubling over, using his hands almost as much as his feet to keep his weight spread, to stay silent. It may not have been the task, but if he can impress, can be difficult to spot when she turns, why wouldn’t he test himself?

Sharp eyes keep an eye on the Demi-god, every muscle ready to tense and still the moment she shifts.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Nodding sharply, after he says he understands, the Wraith turns away from him and waits - perhaps a few breaths, perhaps more (she’s forgotten, she thinks, how long it takes to inhale and then need to exhale) - surely for Pet to have taken up a position by now. And hopefully progress towards her.

She whips around, twisting from the knees and hips while her feet stay in one place. And, oh, Pet has cleverly risen (ha) to the occasion. Down on the ground, using everything available to him to accomplish the task - creatively and yes, creepily. Another fanged grin as she slowly turns around, trying to deceive him into thinking it’s safe to move, before quickly cranking herself around again to see if she’s caught him off guard.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER

The first round is always the easiest, isn't it? He manages to move a good distance, and freezes perfectly when Wessex turns back. He's all but fighting a smile. Training has very rarely been something fun, something good, and it's refreshing to have something different.

Impatience, and the keening urge to prove himself have him shifting the moment her back is turned, only to catch himself on his fingertips as she feints, and turns again. This is not a position he's had to linger in a long time, and while it's made more bearable by ascension, no tremble from overworked muscles shaking through him, it's still not something he can hold long. Wide eyes watch Wessex, waiting for her to turn again, hoping it comes before he collapses.