[SE] Validated
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
I wanna make A color that no one else has seen before
The galley of the Ark has been brought to life, even in the absence of its treasured cook. Aurelia's taken it upon herself to make a meal of sorts. Any long day spent hard at work - or even hardly working - deserves a decent meal at the end. (Gotta feed your NPCs!)

The air has already become thick with heat from preparing the grill, and so she's built up a bit of a sweat. Her meal plan is quite simple, though; fried rice and cuts of beef... or something. It's definitely meat, and it looks like beef. Maybe it's turtle.

Should be pretty difficult to fuck up, anyway. Right?

To her pleasant surprise, this dish turns out pretty damn superb - especially thanks to some much-needed seasonings, sauces, and oils that were handy. Aurelia gives the stir-fry one last toss in the pan before she takes it off the heat and gazes down at her work as if it's the best thing she's seen all day.

It.. probably is, to be fair.

Once she's satisfied and done a few extra taste tests, she comes up to the deck to serve the crew dinner, setting the pan down on a large, sturdy barrel. Bowls and utensils are included for their convenience. Her voice takes on a rough persona as it carries over the deck: "... and save plenty for me - or I'll bash your heads in, got that!?"

She works her way around to see if she's missed anyone. It's then that she stumbles across Melita.

"Melita! There you are!" she approaches the other woman more directly with a beaming smile, "Not here to pick a bone with Jack, are you? Don't think he's around right now." Yes, she'd spied a few of their notes and, yes, that was a play on words.
I wanna be so much more
Aurelia
code credits go to Skylark!<3
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Melita
they should have checked the ashes
of the women they burned alive
She’d been sweeping, mind in and out of various plots and thoughts, haphazardly going across the deck with little much else. No focus. The drift and aroma of an incoming meal might’ve spurred her senses, more perplexing because Saiden hadn’t been around, and the hustle and bustle of the moving crew could’ve alerted her, but lost in the cadence and disarray of her own endeavors, trials, and tribulations, the youth merely kept maneuvering the bristles across the wooden frames. Habitual. Indistinct.

She only started, jumped, a little when Aurelia approached, an ebullient smile plastered there – the honeybee’s brows furrowed slightly, and from somewhere Fangorn bounded nearby, holding close to her ankles.

The words alone might’ve made her bristle, but with everything else going on, she let the comment pass. A snort flickered and followed; she at least had other schemes and possibilities to work out now, rather than rely on the Captain. “No. Enough issues going on as it is.” She handwaved the entire expanse, as if that explained everything. “Are you cooking now?”
because it takes a single wild ember
to bring a whole wildfire to life
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Melita, who's sweeping, nearly jumps out of her skin when she's called. Aurelia's smile falters, not intending to startle her. Fangorn bumbles up to his companion with his grasping vines and Aurelia offers him a small smile.

As far as 'enough issues going on as it is', Aurelia can attest to that. The Ark is in a bit of a sorry state itself, currently, as Melita may have noticed. The crew have been trying to make mends where they can be made, at least until the ship is more properly resupplied and patched. Aurelia's looking around as she concurs, "Yeah, you can say that again."

Her brows lift at the question and she waves her hands, almost frantically. "No, no, no," she smiles nervously, unsure of if Melita was accusing her of trying to take the cook's place. Lowering her hands, she continues, "Well, not specifically, anyway. But since Saiden's not around, no one else is gonna feed these buffoons," she shrugs nonchalantly, gesturing vaguely towards the crew that were happily digging into their bowls and rum, making quite a ruckus in the process.

"I'm sure there's enough for you, if you want to stay for dinner," Aurelia's gaze returns to Melita's face, a hopeful spark in her eyes, "C'mon, it's good! And- I have something for you anyway," she gently reaches to take the broom out of Melita's hands. If the other woman lets her, she'll set the broom aside and wave her over to the food.

"Grab a bowl and follow me." She'll lead Melita to a more secluded space above deck with a small table set up for playing cards.
I wanna be so much more
Aurelia
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Melita
There’d been no accusations laden, not yet anyway. Though Melita was quick and prone to her illustrious temper, it hadn’t been cast into the situation – just a mere question, a speculation, mustered in some confusion and inquiry. Last she’d seen of Saiden, they’d been making Ludo dolls and she’d offered to go with him towards a shrine, to see if he could get his eye replaced. But no one else seemed concerned about his whereabouts, and Melita had to put it out of her mind. Maybe he’d taken his own personal sojourn.

So her eyes went to the crowd of buffoons, content with food in their mouths and bellies. A nod of understanding and comprehension passed, and before she could utter a word of protest, the broom was taken out of her hands, and she was invited, swept into the barrage of movement and motion. A stubborn inclination nearly had her plant her feet in protest, but as she had no good reason to, other than petulance and a rotten mood threatening to sour her essence, she grabbed hold of a bowl, and found herself plunking down at the table.

“Oh, you didn’t have to get me anything,” she waved her hand, utensil digging into the food. On a whim though, a pre-determined, mercurial inclination, her gilded eyes went towards her beloved companion. “Can you go grab-,” and he seemed to know immediately, a grumble of a salute or angling of agreement rumbled from his presence, and he was off, vines swinging, down towards her quarters.

The honeybee explained none of the actions, tilting her head vaguely, gaze going back to the form of the ship. “How was your adventure?”
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia would've happily served up Melita's bowl for her but, she has something else to retrieve. So while she gets her food, Aurelia ducks down into the bunkers where most of her stuff is kept. She rejoins Melita with a strip of leather wrapped into a neat roll. Clearly there's something inside of it but, what exactly it is can't be discerned yet.

This gift, she pointedly sets down onto the table between them. Her eyes raise up from a bowl of food she's also grabbed for herself. "No, I didn't have to," she states matter-of-factly, stuffing a mouthful of food into her mouth while it's still warm. After chewing it down, she adds with a small smile, "that's what makes it a gift. It really isn't a big deal."

Before the present is actually prompted, though, Melita asks her a question and she intends to answer it... but her gaze lifts up and away thoughtfully. The 'adventure', if it could be called that, had not gone well by any means. She frowns softly, creating a small crease between her brows.

"It was bad," her gaze veers back towards Melita. The truth is given without any sugar-coating, seeing no need for it. "Jack's not happy about it. Neither am I, but... y'know, it's his ship and all that, so it matters a bit more that he's upset."

She didn't think it important how she felt about it, considering she'd merely been there to try and help where she could. Only to be completely and utterly useless, by all accounts, and so... did she have the right to be upset? She didn't think so. She should've done better, been more prepared.

"We ran into those ghost whales... they really don't like the Ark," a grimace for emphasis. She slouches back into her seat and drops her fork into her bowl, continuing with a sigh, "but there was this other whale. It was different, fell from the sky. We tried to help but... the ghost whales ate it. Wasn't much we could do."
I wanna be so much more
Aurelia
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
The honeybee was tempted to unleash an eyeroll at the statement – but refrained, figuring it wasn’t a polite course of action when someone had taken the trouble to get her a gift. If it wasn’t a big deal or not was up for debate in Melita’s sputtering mind, and luckily she was interrupted from claiming any other response when Fangorn arrived – a bundle clutched in his vines. “Thank you,” she granted to him, scratching the top of his head, and then plopping him in her lap as she hid the package under her chair for later.

Utensil up, she was content to eat, and listen to the story of how the Ark had been bombarded this time – whatever had occurred to enact Jack’s horrible mood this time. But as it unraveled and unfurled, Melita realized the tale wasn’t going to be a happy one; ghost whales once more making their presence down. She put down her bowl for a moment, contemplating as she swallowed her food, jaw threatening to clench and gnash in irritation. This was why she’d attempted her quest in the first place – so those damned creatures would leave the vessel alone. So they could get something accomplished while on the surf, so no more were mauled and desecrated from the horrible beasts. “Fuckers,” mumbled under her breath, while she grabbed another spoonful.

And the thought of the other whale, falling from the sky, hit her in the heart. “Was it a starwhale?” Other ruminations instantly went to Jyoti and Pemota; gentle, caring, compassionate souls, content to wander and extend their beneficence to those that needed them. She shook her head, sighed, tilting her cranium to gaze upon the sea. “It sucks when you try, and it doesn’t seem to matter.”
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia's head shifts in a slight, but not complete, nod, "Yes. I think so... that's what some of them were calling it," her gaze travels across the deck to where the crew were beginning to settle, playing poker and planning out their LongNight get-togethers. Ah, that's right, Aurelia thinks, it's about to be LongNight.

Melita's words cut through her absent mind sharply but she doesn't respond and it might appear as if she hasn't even heard it.

Aurelia has tried to make many impacts that ultimately didn't matter. In Caido, she's sure things here will be no different... it's a kind of disappointment she'll have to get used to all over again. Is there even any use in trying? It certainly leaves a bitter taste, she thinks as she ponders the pros and cons of making any effort at all. Failures often feel so much more prominent, casting a thick shadow over successes. Right now, Aurelia's not feeling very successful.

"Alright, I think we could both use a drink, don't you?" She breathes out, forcing a smile. "I made some wine out of rambutan for Milo but, I kept a bit of it," and, as if this was all planned out, Aurelia reaches into a small barrel nearby. She pulls out a bottle of wine and a small bag of bright yellow berries. "Here, try it. It's sweet," she offers the bottle out to Melita after taking a swig of her own. As for the berries, she sets the bag between them.

"What are your plans? For LongNight and, before we set sail," she asks, curious as to how Melita handles these days of darkness. "I hear Torchline is the place to be."
I wanna be so much more
Aurelia
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
The starwhales she’d known were innocent, kind, and compassionate – providential little beings who offered aid in way of tranquility and serenity. It was a shame, for any creature, to succumb to those brutal forces, but perhaps it hurt more in the way of an undeserving mauling. Her eyes went down to the bowl of food, suddenly wondering if she wanted to bother eating – the news dulling her senses.

She missed Aurelia’s quiet reflection; long since used to ineffectual maneuvers, to instilling her maneuvers into either nothingness or some flare of minute munitions. When they did matter, it was momentary, and then something else came along. But it didn’t lessen her spirit – not much could, just made her growl and rumble and howl into the midst of her bones, wondering how she could do better.

The offer of drinks was a welcome deterrent from her ruminations, and she nodded. Missing the mention of Milo entirely, mind focused on the notion of some alcohol to move away the somber musings, she took hold of the bottle, taking a welcome swig. “Oh, that’s very good.” Then she passed it over, so they could share back and forth. “Thank you.” Her fingers went for the berries too, offering a few to Fangorn, before plopping them in her mouth.

As for LongNight’s plans – she withheld a grimace. A lighter smile ventured forth. “Probably partying on the beach, and babysitting Sunjata.” As best she could. “We usually have bonfires. Lots of drinking.” Relaxing, probably dragging any Grounder refugees into it, so they had less to worry about while Ascended brethren stayed behind – withholding a sigh over Nate’s prospects.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia smiles briefly in thanks towards Melita's praise. She hesitates with an open mouth as Melita snags a few of the berries but, understanding that they're harmless, she doesn't want to raise any alarm. So instead she takes the bottle and they can continue to pass it back and forth until it's empty, for all she cares. Somebody has to drink it before it goes bad, or something.

Curious, Aurelia goes for a few of the berries too. They're surprisingly palatable with a sweet, tarty taste. Nothing offensive about them that might raise her own suspicions. She picks at a few more and then returns to the contents of her bowl, listening to Melita's answer for LongNight plans.

"Mm," she nods with a thoughtful frown, swallowing down a mouthful of food, "You should take the time to yourself, don't worry about Sunjata," not that it's her place to tell Melita what she should or shouldn't do. With a lighter and humorous tone, she adds on, "I'm sure he'll survive a week or two on his own." Not that she knows too much about why Melita should be concerned. All she knows is that, to an extent, she understands the obligation - but she also knows what it's like to be free of it.

"It's been weird and terribly fuckin' hard to be here without my sisters but..." she chews on the inside of her lip and rolls her jaw before continuing, "I dunno, I spent my whole life sacrificing for them. So.. I'm trying not to feel guilty about doing things for myself now," she lowers her gaze, suddenly feeling rather meek and defeated. She knows that everything is way more complicated than this. Still, she hopes her words will have some sort of impact - not just on Melita, but herself.

Now that they've had ample time to eat (in Aurelia's opinion, who eats very fast) and drink a bit, Aurelia prods the rolled up leather pouch on the table. "Wanna open it?" Within it is a set of three perfectly-pointed throwing knives. They'll probably feel heavier than expected, but Aurelia's wrapped the hilts herself to balance the weight out. What might mark these knives as special to Melita is the engravings along the centers of each blade. They're similarly-designed symbols of the sun.
I wanna be so much more
Aurelia
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
She picked at a few more of the berries, and between the drinks and the rest of her food, she felt lighter; not as sullen, not as morose, not as bitter or wounded. Hemming and hawing at a few of the remnants along the side of the bowl, the youth raised her eyes, an arch to her brow, as if Aurelia’s suggestion of not worrying about her uncle had never dawned on her. Nate’s promise hovered in the back of her mind, and the one she’d extended in return, shifting a little in her chair, uncertain what she was supposed to do with herself if she wasn’t trying to watch over Sunjata. “I have my doubts.” Based purely on experience and a shared family habit of getting into trouble – eyes narrowing slightly, in thought of the evening he’d come home in another’s blood, uncertain how or why, when or where, the crime had been committed.

Melita hadn’t ever been a little beast without some kind of purpose – but it hadn’t normally been for herself. Other than striving to become a monstrous heathen, so no one would touch her or her own, it’d been for the Ark, friends, crew, or family. And she only had so many of each left. The gilded gaze stared down into the bowl for a little while longer, vaguely uncertain and unsure in so many things when she used to be so resolved and purposeful. “Like what?” What were things one could do for themselves? The honeybee trained. The honeybee worked. The honeybee snarled and sneered and bit into the world, but only for tastes and morsels. Scraps.

The roll left on the table, prodded forward, the promised gift lifted her slightly out of the dejection and confusion. Her hands went to them, unraveling and unfurling in haste, until the strands loosened to behold a set of beautiful throwing knives; emblazoned and adorned with the sun. “Oh,” she murmured quietly, hardly above a whisper, fingers tracing over the pictures of the scorching element. “Where did you find these?”

Not to be outdone either, she wiped away some stray tear that had managed to conjure over her cheeks, and bent down to grab hold of the parcel she’d hidden underneath her chair. “For you,” she extended in one fell swoop, rising back and nearly tossing the package over. Inside, Aurelia might find a similar gift of weaponry – though this was a hand-carved bow, whittled in a brighter driftwood Melita had found along the shoreline days before.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
She's startled by the question, completely unprepared for it. So she takes the chance to think about it, about what she's really done for herself since coming to Caido. Melita opens the gift and Aurelia leans in on the table, resting her chin in one hand. On the surface it might appear she's watching for Melita's reaction, but in reality she's in thought.

"Well, I've been trying to learn about how things are here..." she clears her throat, lifting her chin, "I've learned that a lot of things I thought were right were, actually, wrong. So.. I'm giving myself the chance to change, do better, be better. Starting here," she gestures with her hands around at the ship, "with all of you. And I may have... started something with Milo," she lowers her hands, feeling a flush reach up into her cheeks. Quieter, she explains, "I've never given myself the chance at this sort of thing. My life didn't have much room for... that, before. It's- uhm- nice."

She smiles and her gaze drifts for a moment, thinking fondly of Milo and his messy red hair, the glint of the sunlight in his eyes, of wrestling in the sand and ocean with him.

She doesn't quite notice the stray tear or, if she does, she doesn't make a deal out of it. The knives are inspired by something Melita had told her before about a beloved sun god that she 'would've followed anywhere'. That, combined with the interest in learning how to use throwing knives, and... ta-da!

She shrugs gently, "Traded a lot of manta crystals. My father was a weaponsmith but I never learned, so I had to find someone who could make these for me." More like she never had the chance to learn. If she had, she might've picked it up, became a smithy, created beautiful armaments. But that's a far-off dream of some parallel universe where her father's still alive and she's still in her home world. It's a thought in the back of her mind, to follow in his footsteps, but it's burrowed pretty far back.

Aurelia prays to the gods that Melita outdoes her, excitedly {but somewhat carefully} tearing into the package. What's revealed spreads a grin across her face. She lifts the bow from its confines and admires the smoothed, hand-tooled driftwood it's built from. It already feels at home in her grip.

"Melita, you didn't," she exclaims in disbelief, "This is amazing! Did you make it?" She stands up to better examine it in her arms, lifting it, extending it, admiring some more. "Gahh! I can't wait to use this!"
I wanna be so much more
Aurelia
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
The emboldened inquiry might’ve been for both of them. While her head ducked down, and her eyes, her hands, studied the beautiful throwing knives, she listened, though the only indication might’ve been the slightest of nods – thoroughly distracted by the idle rays of the sun. Aurelia had gone through a learning curve most Outlanders had faced at one point or another – searing and surging past what they knew, what they understood, and struggling, or striving, to assimilate into this new world. Some chances of change were just that, opportunities, gilded or tainted, and one had to be willing and able to snatch at the pieces. Based on her explanation, it seemed the fellow smuggler was doing just that – though Melita eventually raised her eyes at the Milo indication, a sort of Cheshire grin settling on her mouth. “Sounds like you’re figuring it out.” She made no comment on the subject of life having room for any of those notions. She supposed it happened in shifts and turns, where one learned to have another accompany within. “It takes time. But you find your place here.”

Sometimes it was smuggling. Sometimes it was casting off into adventures. Sometimes it was facing lava octopuses or chasing after ghosts. Sometimes it was harrowing or silly. Sometimes it was brilliant and bright. Sometimes it was outrageously stupid.

And sometimes, one simply wanted more.

Her hands closed neatly over the bundle of knives, due to meet their fellow daggers and armaments, slipping into callouses long since formed. “They’re wonderful. Thank you.” And she meant it – even though there was no way she could’ve been worth a trade of manta crystals. “I will throw them at my enemies.” The sharp smile thereafter, somewhat feral and savage, promised as much.

Then she waited in anticipation over the bow, tilting her cranium a fraction, gilded gaze studying features. She’d thought it would’ve suited the other girl well, considering her regard for the bow and arrows in one of their earlier training sessions. The weapon itself was lightweight, easy to maneuver, the strand taut enough – the honeybee had practiced with it once or twice to ensure it was adequate and functional. “I did. Sorry it's simple.” Though far beyond her rudimentary days; where one concocted and conjured armaments for the sheer sake of survival, where she learned to utilize a staff (a long branch) so they lived for another evening. But it would give Aurelia something else to utilize – a variety of entanglements for this place.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Melita's smiling encouragement sends a pulse of relief through Aurelia. It's a sweet victory when the people she's surrounded herself with actually accept her into their lives. It's to be appreciated, not to be taken lightly.

Aurelia nods quietly at the honey-eyed smuggler. It's a gentle and happy silence that takes up the space this time, not as pregnant as the silence of not being enough no matter what they try to do. At least they're all enough for each other; a disfunctional family of misfits.

As for finding her place here, Aurelia's sure she already has. Whether that will stay the same as time goes on, she's far less certain. For the time being, she's okay with that. There's merit in the mystery of the future, in striving towards that unknown destination. When she's meant to, she'll know where her path leads next.

Anyway, she's far too happy about this bow made from driftwood to keep pondering these other things. Melita's promise of throwing the knives at her enemies conjures a chuckle from Aurelia, where she stands inspecting the careful measures taken to ensure a lightweight bow. "I'll have to keep my word on showing you how to use them proper. It should come easily for you, though. And this, I can use to shoot our enemies." She makes a show of bringing the bow up as if she's going to fire an invisible arrow.

When Melita apologizes about it being simple, Aurelia quickly relaxes from her jokes. She waves it off. With the bow placed on her lap, she returns to her seat and reaches for the bottle again. "Sometimes simpler is better. Anyway, it will remind me of the coast and you and all my friends and- home. That's what this is now, isn't it?" she gives the weapon a soft pat for good measure and offers the bottle back over to Melita. "Thank you."

"You know... when I was a kid, my parents would tell me old myths about heroes who defeated evil foes or dangerous creatures. Their weapons always had names. So, that being said, what should we call it?" She mulls over this, eventually coming up with a name that she thinks might be amusing for Melita, "Whalepiercer? No, no- Blubbershredder."
I wanna be so much more
Aurelia
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
“Yes, please!” Notes of encouragement, of wickedness, dazzled from her grin – a savage, ruffian, feral interlude of promised destruction and little machinations behind them. To acquire knowledge of the knives, as she’d done with the bow, daggers, hand-to-hand, staff, and occasional swordplay would be a welcome accomplishment in the youth’s eyes. To have the ability to press her weight, her abilities, into the world of might and menace, to enact her own upon its malicious wakes, would always be something the honeybee found worthwhile. To sting and sting and sting again. “And you need to keep practicing,” her nod towards the bow ensured and assured what she was talking about, the pinpointed arch to her brow indicating it all as well.

Another swig of her drink, and she was glancing over the horizon, looking towards the waves. Home was something else the girl had only glimpses of. Memories of warm, hot, molten sand beneath her feet and rising clifftops bearing draconic heralds. Leathery wings flying across the sky. An oasis where she could pretend to be a monster before she ever became one. A mother and a sister, tender and loving, before it all came crashing down.

And here – home in a semblance of other ways. Her head swung back, and she smiled, the grin dimming into something less predacious, and more quiet, subdued. “Yes. Whatever you want to make it become.” Molded, created, crafted, sculpted – taking hold of it in both hands and never letting go.

The subject of naming weapons gave her some pause, and then the suggestion of which ones crackled and unleashed a steady stream of laughter. “Gods, blubbershredder?” The giggles turned into howls, erupting buoyancy and exuberance (probably heightened by the alcohol) over the noise of the rest of the crew. She absentmindedly wiped a tear from her eye, though this one had been concocted by merriment. “Okay, wait. I got it.” Clearing her throat for a moment, in a moment of mocking seriousness, Melita unfurled her suggestions. Bowregard.” A pause, an intake of breath, trying not to quake into laughter again. Archibald.”