behind the cellar door
for Seiji!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
The Harpy hadn’t been here long, yet so much had happened in those few weeks. Khairi, missing and gone for who knew how long was still a sore piece of her heart. It felt as though part of her soul had been ripped up, the part that scouted from above and protected her. Her companion – someone to share the darkness of her heart with, who understood above all else what it felt like. Someone who had shared her experiences, falling into a river of styx for a stupid, reckless god and emerged damaged and not quite whole again.

At least she could breathe easily now. That much had gone right. And she had found Ru’in somehow. Kiada still couldn’t wrap her mind around the possibilities – she had watched him step into the arms of death and disappear in a cloud of tealish blue, the same hue that had seeped from her scarred neck. That had changed too, no longer did it ooze, but it was a gnarly marking along her neck that looked as though she was lucky to be alive.

In which, Kiada honestly was lucky.

With that luck, she had planned on a drink and she hadn’t ventured out to the bar until now when she felt like she could go for wallowing in her own misery. She stepped into the Rathskeller, glacial eyes locked onto the bar where the drinks were being poured as she ordered one and leaned against the bar, sipping it and glancing around the packed house.

Seiji
KiadA
and here you come,
with a shield for a heart,
and a sword for a tongue.

coding

Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Seiji Okura
Musician

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: kae Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
S E I J I

A roof, finally. Seiji is only a little more rooted here now than he was a few days ago. He feels strange, as if he stands with one foot in a dream. As if, at any moment, someone might look through him and fail to recognize him at all. But he cannot quite describe the feeling. Only — wrongness. He is no longer cold, however, and this is a small blessing. The walls protect him from the worst of the weather beyond. And they crawl with people. Strangers, of course (and very strange they are) but even their company is far, far better than being alone. The murmur of voices, the sound of feet coming and going — all soothe his nerves by small degrees.

If despair might persuade him to lay idle, his growing anxiety pushes it aside. He finds himself walking the corridors today, his eyes scanning high ceilings and ornate windows. So much of this place breathes grandeur. But the grandeur of ruins, of forgotten cities. It is half alive and half crumbling, and its people resemble no people Seiji has ever seen. No cohesion he can fathom. No industry. No — but here his head hurts. If he searches too far back, he finds only a blur of memories, white lights and red, the sound of raindrops on glass. What should a city even look like?

If his own heads holds no answers, he will need to find some elsewhere. Now, he finds himself descending a stairway into a small place, dark but comfortable. It is alive with mundane noise: glasses clinking, people speaking. As he enters, his eyes catch the glint of glass and pass across the crowd of bodies. The smell is warm but not unpleasant. Seiji's stomach rumbles, and he is suddenly aware he has no currency. And no way of making any. He wanders toward the bar, some vague idea brewing in his head, but he slows as he notices the hawk-like woman perched there, surveying the room. Something about her eyes — they pierce him through. He hardly notices his pace slow to a crawl.

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
It’s a strange feeling, being in a tavern surrounded by people. All of whom had friends and companions to chat with – yet there was Kiada, alone and bundled in leathers and furs with a sharp eye that scanned every face that entered and left. Perhaps that’s why they had left her well alone, stepping far from her to reorder drinks and avoid eye contact. Was she that intimidating? She snorted at the thought, sipping at her drink and enjoying the burn that raced down her throat. She had nothing else to do, no one to talk to, even the bartender seemed inclined to ignore the pale girl with the iceberg eyes.

But another arrived, stepping into the tavern. They were the same height, and her eyes shifted toward him immediately. He didn’t look like he belonged – not like Kiada had any real information to go off of but based off the furs and bundles of clothes everyone else here wore she could only assume he was new. Perhaps he had fallen through like her, losing everything of old lives behind her aside from her mind and the memories.

It wasn’t lost on her when his pace slowed and he seemed less inclined to step toward the bar that she seemed to be watching over like some kind of alcohol guardian. Oh, how she wished Khairi was here. She turned to him then, offering a kind smile (though not too kind after all) and made room. Gathering the bartenders attention, she ordered a drink for him. “One for my friend, please.” She called over to the man who rushed to bring one for him as Kiada turned back to look at Seiji.

I’m Kiada.” She hummed to him, raising her glass in a mock toast and a wink as if they were old friends celebrating something important. “You new here?” She questioned after, lowering the glass but keeping it close to her side as she glanced back around the tavern a brief moment.
KiadA
and here you come,

coding

Seiji Okura
Musician

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
S E I J I

A thrill of — something — runs through him as their eyes meet. Not quite fear, but not quite excitement. He is for a instant pinned, the breath caught in his lungs. Then she smiles, as if they are friends. Seiji finds himself moving toward her despite (perhaps because of?) her lack of other company. In his current state, Seiji almost believes he does know her. They could be friends. But how how absurd —

He sidles into a place beside her, watching with keen eyes as the man behind the bar pours him a drink. Seiji wraps long fingers around the glass and peers curiously down. Is alcohol here the same? Would he know if it were not? He wonders again how it is he knows what alcohol is if he doesn't really remember drinking it. Only the concept — the ghost of a larger memory. The liquid inside is amber, warm and inviting, so he lifts it and sips delicately, wincing only a little as it burns its way down his throat.

"Thank you," he coughs, and settles the glass once more upon the bar. Now they're close, he pauses for just a moment, studying the stranger's face. She has a wild look about her — hawkish the perfect word. There is a sort of patient ferocity in the set of her mouth, the devouring blue of her eyes. He isn't sure why she singled him out, or why she has extended the kindness of ordering him a drink, but he should repay her kindness somehow. Shouldn't he?

"Nice to meet you, Kiada." He smiles, and it is a genuine smile, brightening the wary tension of his face. "I am Okura Seiji." He nods. Tightens his fingers around the glass as if it's an anchor holding him steady. "I am — new." He finds it now for some reason difficult to remember how conversation is made. He wants to ask a thousand things, but is she the person to ask? Is it appropriate? "You live here?" A pause, a half smile, and a vague gesture with his free hand. "Not — here — near-by?"

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
She watched him as he steps closer, something vaguely pricking at the back of her mind. His movements fluid and she remembered something dark – something beautiful and small, with movements like ink in water. Her head tilted as she watched him grip the glass, her eyes narrowing on him almost as though she could devour him with her gaze alone, in a flame of ice cold fire. Though a bit of surprise races through her as he speaks and suddenly the image of a dark beast with the most plain appearances wavers.

Somehow she thinks he reminds her of someone in a past life – a man of quiet words, or no words to be exact, yet a hunger and curiosity of the land they’ve found themselves in. Of how when she tried to guess where he came from, since he couldn’t exactly tell her, how skeptical he became. Nearly angered. How that one rainy day she expressed her loss to him, with Khairi nearby, feeling close to him even if he couldn’t offer condolences in tongues. But as she looked deeper into her memories, she remembered a faintness of birds and a light stippling on his shoulder of wings.

How she had her own wings in that world, in blades of metal that would puncture her flesh any time it was used. How she remembered the pain and the blood that dripped down her back. The scars still remained, she was certain. Every other scar had. But that was a lifetime ago, and this place was new. Perhaps she was putting a face to a memory to make it easier to deal with? Her head tilted toward him as he smiled a brilliant smile. “Pleased to meet you.” She said to him easily, turning to face the bar again and lean against the wood. As he expressed that he was new and asked if she lived here, she offered a small smile back to him.

I’m new too, but yes. I live here now. Fell through a good number of worlds to find this place. Not sure how I ended up here. It’s called Caido from what I’ve gathered so far.” She shrugged her shoulders lightly, turning back to him with a roguish smile that could be taken in a multitude of ways. “Where did you come from?” She questioned with a tilt of her head again, her dark hair falling over her shoulder and showing a bit of that deep scarring on the side of her neck.
KiadA
and here you come,

coding

Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I

Seiji isn't certain he ought to be comfortable with the way she looks at him, but he betrays no hint of his uncertainty in his demeanor. Smiling is easy. Keeping his immediate feelings secured away — easy. It comes back to him slowly, the way he ought to behave. Like settling into the right note after hitting a sharp. Maybe he can learn something from this woman. This Kiada. How strange her name sounds even in his mind! A foreign cadence for the foreign brilliance of her eyes.

He sips at his drink again as she talks. He doesn't think he was ever much for drinking, really, but it's nice to have something in his mouth. Something catches his attention, though, in the middle of her little speech, and his eyes go wide. Brows raised, he sets the glass down with a clank! and tilts his head at her. "Through worlds?" is that a euphamism of some kind? So incredulous is he that Seiji fails to answer her question.

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
For some reason, there isn’t a hint of surprise on Kiada’s face as he asked her about falling through worlds. She hadn’t told too many people, yet the reaction from him created such a curious feeling from within her. The darkness writhed with happiness, and she wore it on her face like a badge of pride. Yes, she’d fallen through world after world. Yes, she had lived. But she had still lost everything in the process. A slight laugh escapes her lips at the loud clank of his glass, though the other tavern patrons paid it little heed.

Leaning closer to him – somehow like a wolf with sheep, she flashed her teeth at him in a wide grin. “Literally. Went through a Portal to the second world, the second world threw me out and I’ve been falling ever since.” She whispered loud enough for him to hear before settling back in her own way, grinning a toothy predator like grin to him. Let him think she was some kind of angel forced to live a world along mortals.

If he was smart, he’d realize her teeth were just a bit too sharp and the hunger in her icy eyes were a bit too deep to be anything other than a survivor. Still, she enjoyed this. It was almost like a game to her, this interaction. And while Seiji wore it well, hiding almost everything, the surprise at the worlds comment had him slip. Kiada was good at few things, but taking advantage of slip ups were almost top of that list.

She lifted her glass to finish drinking her own liquor before ordering another and folding her arms on the table, her eyes drifting to the grains of wood in the bar. “Landed here, however, and it was a bit of a strange adjustment.” She offered somewhat quietly, before turning back to Seiji with a small half smile. “Apparently there’s magic here too.” She also added in, tilting her head in a birdlike way, curious to see what his reaction to magic might be if he found it strange one could fall through worlds.
KiadA
and here you come,

coding

Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I

He doesn't back away as she leans closer, though a part of him wants to. A part of him also wants to know what she might say so conspiratorially near. There is a bit of danger to her, but with it the things which ride the coattails of danger: knowledge, confidence. Seiji listens intently, focused on the warm breath of her words. Falling ever since. Something poetic about that. Seiji is surprised to find himself wondering if he believes it. Multiple worlds? Does that mean — he may be in a different world altogether than the one in which he was born? He tries this thought on, but he finds it rings false. An expression of mirth crosses his features, and he nods, still watching her askance. The intensity of her gaze. The way her lips curl around her teeth... Something there strikes him as odd, but he doesn't immediately place what it is.

"How long ago?" he asks, content to keep the conversation going. A surprising hunger wells up in him. A need to know more even as he doubts the truth of her words. It's as if he's a hound catching at last upon an elusive scent. "When you came here?" he clarifies. A pause, his expression leveling as he considers the implication of the word magic.

His reaction to this is less severe. Either because he doesn't believe her, or because he does — he does naturally — and now he wonders what kind of magic she means. Something like gods? Little spirits? Something else? He lifts his head, measuring. "You have magic?"

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
How long ago?” He asked her, though he didn’t seem afraid at her closeness. A part of her found itself proud of him and how so many others had slunk away by just her gaze alone. She thought back to the myriad of others in this tavern that had avoided her at all costs, and that same part of her relished in it. It was a lonely life being like this, but Kiada had learned not to get attached. Everything you love can and will be taken from you. It was better this way. Her head turned to him again as her fingers aimlessly played with her glass.

I’ve been here for a month now I think.” She offered with a shake of her head and roll of her shoulders, the leathers making a quiet sound with the movement. Her icy gaze lingered on his face for a brief moment before she turned back to look at the bartender and the rumble of food that her stomach had begun to protest. Perhaps it was better to put food in there before she became too drunk to fly home. She got the bartenders attention once again in the hopes of ordering food – enough for both her and Seiji should he want some, before returning to her newfound friend with a roguish grin.

I certainly do. Not as much as I used to, but some came with me.” She said finally, laughing quietly at the idea of all her fiery magic long gone. “I can shift into a vulture.” She offers easily, crossing her legs and choosing not to show it off here in the middle of the crowds of the tavern but rather more than likely once they chose to leave. She didn’t think the bartender and patrons would take kindly to the idea of her becoming a bird in the middle of the place, and she had food on the way. Couldn’t get kicked out yet.

Turning back to Seiji as she waited for their food, she palmed her glass quietly. “Do you have magic? Or did you?” She questioned with another cock of her head.
KiadA
and here you come,

coding

Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I

Seiji finds a peculiar tickle of fondness growing in him. Maybe he is simply starved for companionship, but Kiada is interesting. A darkness full of secrets. He might be more wary had he found himself alone with her, but here, surrounded by people and light and strong walls... He enjoys the conversation. His nerves feel more settled now than they have since his arrival on that cold, dark night.

He files away her answers in his memory. He requires a greater breadth of information before judging what she's told him one way or another, but it could be true. He certainly doesn't recognize anything about this place, these people... Could he truly have come from another world entirely? And what does that make this place?

Seiji is mostly listening when she says the word vulture. So casually given, that — her eyes on him all the while. Brows lifting, Seiji studies her. Not quite skeptical, but curious. She has the look of someone much harder than he. Criminal comes to mind. Rogue. Thief. Gangster. Even if she is lying, vulture is quite a creature to choose. She doesn't prove it either way, though, here in the crowded bar. Of course, she wouldn't.

"No magic like that," he says in response to her question. A wry expression crossing his features. "I think." Even as he says it, something ghosts across his awareness: incense, smoke rising in still air. A pang of hurt rings through his head, and the fingers of his left hand flex without any conscious input. He blinks. The room around him suddenly feels unsteady.

He isn't sure how much time passes between when last he spoke and the moment he looks back up at her. The food she ordered has appeared, and he fixates on it for an uncomfortable second, all too aware of the emptiness in his stomach. Then Seiji blinks, embarrassed by his lack of propriety, and runs a hand through his hair. "I don't remember," he finds himself telling her. "I was in the forest one day. That is all I know." But his gaze falls to the silver pin still clinging to the lapel of his jacket: a swan in descent, wings flared gracefully behind it. He lifts a hand to trace one edge of it with his thumb.

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
He finally deigns to respond to one of her poised questions to him, and for that a small half smile quirks the corner of her lips up. Yet even Seiji seemed uncertain whether or not he had magic before arriving here. Her head tilts curiously though she stares at the food as it arrives and keeps from looking at him so he can get it sorted out – if he chose to, that is. Her attention lingers on the food as she grabbed a piece of it and pushed the plate part of the way toward him with a light smirk.

Help yourself. You look like you need it more than I do.” She laughed a bright, chiming laugh as she gestured to his figure. They were the same height, yet where she was filled out with the curves and muscles of her mother and father, Seiji had a swan-like appearance. While he more than likely didn’t need to gain weight, she was certain he’d probably need some help with foraging food. It was the middle of winter, after all, and things were getting scarce. Biting down on the food and swallowing it easily, she contemplated what he said.

She rolled her shoulders easily as she reached for another piece and bit off part of it, turning to look at him briefly. “I imagine that’s how it all starts. A forest, a portal, everything’s different.” She pondered thoughtfully, remembering the woods and the portal that Kisamoa had shoved them all through – how he had murdered his way through helovian after helovian until finally they understood and crossed. Then, the second portal, falling into the Rift into a dark and devious world. A flash of pain, and teal oozing from her neck. A barrage of siblings long lost to history scattered about.

Huffing a quiet sigh, she pushed the memories down. “Now you find yourself stuck here, like me, trying to make the most out of it.” She finally said, her eyes hiding that once glazed look about them as she focused back on her companion. She took another drink of the alcohol, the burning in her throat reminding her that she was here and not back in the past, where she had friends and a kingdom to help. Here, she had no mission. Here, she was no one.
KiadA
and here you come,

coding

Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I

Seiji cannot help but think she's kind. First, as she ignores his minor episode. Then, as she pushes the plate of food toward him. He hesitates to disguise his hunger, but reaches for it eagerly all the same. "Thank you!" he responds, smiling broadly. Wherever he came from, there must have been food aplenty there. He can't have been so hungry before. He's silent for a moment, chewing, reflecting on nothing more than the absolute blessing of food in his starving mouth. Warm and nourishing.

He needed that. And he must consider Kiada a friend, or at least an ally, for the time being. Despite her harsh exterior, she's very kind to help a stranger such as himself, one obviously incapable of repaying the favor. She describes her situation as stuck, and Seiji has to agree. Stuck. But is he trying to make the most of it? He thinks — no. He must have had things to do back home. He must have come from somewhere, a somewhere which aches for him nearly as much as he does for it. He cannot sit idle, cannot try to make a life in this place — whatever it is —

He shakes his head, as if shaking off a persistent insect. Then he gestures at her armor. "Are you a soldier?" he asks, choosing the most honorable profession he can think of to describe her look, lest he insult her. "You don't want to go back?"

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
His trill of a thank you snaps her out of whatever dark hole she had planted herself in. And she nods to him all the same with a small bright grin of her own as she notices him reaching for the food and beginning to eat. She wanted to laugh at the idea, that the poor man had been hungry for awhile and nobody else had offered, but the more she glanced around the tavern and the outside world, the more she finds that she’s not at all surprised. It didn’t seem to Kiada like they were welcome much, the ones that had magically fallen in. Regardless, she was here and Seiji was here, and quite a few more.

His question caught her off guard a bit, and she turned to regard him for a few moments before taking another sip of her drink and reaching for another bite of the food she’d ordered. “No, I’m not a soldier. A mercenary of sorts, I like to think.” She said with a smile sent his direction. But as he spoke of her want to return, her yearning to go back, all she could think of was darkness and terrible large beasts chasing after her. She was reminded of the small child with her, when she had attempted to breach a cave with a hideous beast within, and how she had protected her in that instance.

She also thought about Rixen and the slow burning love that had blossomed between them. How it built upon months and months and yet before she could act on it – before she even had a chance to tell him she felt the same way he did, she had been thrust out of the world into another with all of her armor and weapons gone. That was fine, the armor and weapons. These were things she could always get back one day – but Khairi, her companion and the one thing that’d been there through it all, had been lost in the shuffle. She knew she should want to go back to find him, but there was nothing saying that he was still there.

For all she knew, he was in another world away, hidden and looking for her.

A light frown crossed her face at the thought and she pushed it away as she aimlessly ran a finger along the rim of her glass. “No, I don’t.” She said rather plainly. “Too many bad memories there.” She rolled her shoulders yet again and turned to look back at Seiji. “Too many promises broken, too many words left unsaid.” She added, perhaps a bit poetically with the light lilt of her voice – a deceiving part of the Harpy that chose to bear armor. “Do you?
KiadA
and here you come,

coding

Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I

The shadow crossing her features is unmistakable. He cannot name it precisely — sorrow? guilt? shame? or something else? — but he understands it. Seiji's expression cools as regret pools in his stomach. He should not have asked. A cruel question. An overly familiar question. He had simply been excited.... but that is no excuse. He wants to comfort, but can think of no words for it. So he allows the silence to rest, his eyes focused on her and full of soft concern. Maybe he is lucky, to remember nothing. To feel no guilt. No terror. Only hope and a burgeoning determination.

It must have been a dark place she came from. Of course — to make her so fierce. To turn a girl into a bird of prey. "Sorry," he murmurs at last. He thinks of reaching out to her, but even in his mind the gesture feels too familiar. He abstains. The momentary silence between them feels heavy.

Then she returns the question, and Seiji hesitates. It seems cruel, again, to reveal his eagerness. His hope. He thinks he must have something to go back to. A good life. Somewhere far from these crumbling walls, this darkening sky. After some thought, Seiji nods. "I should not be here," he responds. "I do not want to be." It sounds selfish even to him, and he winces, surprised by his lack of grace. "Maybe," he adds, "there is somewhere better. For you, too."

The rain is full
of ghosts tonight