bring your sunshine
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
we are all broken
Come and play again with me.

The invitation has been given to Tobi with a surprising amount of boldness. Finn has been doing as he's said, and he's taking those small steps to a healthier existence come hell or high water. And granted, there's a lot of high water (especially when he's almost tumbling from the cliffs and being saved by demigods), but rather than shying away from it as he might have done once... Finn has been going back.

He spends most mornings, these days, in fact, standing at the edges of the Sleeping Steps, gazing down into the waves. It still causes him a great deal of distress, should he stray too far, but the Spyglass is getting better at it. He's also asking for his medicine in what might even be mistaken for a sort of routine, allowing himself no more than a couple of days before inflicting a good night's sleep upon himself.

Most prominently, however - Finn is making music again.

And so Tobi will find him in one of the open, empty areas between meeting rooms in the Tower, carefully strumming a tune on his guitar to test it out. It no longer needs tuning, thanks to the strings, but he likes to practice nonetheless.
that’s how the light gets in
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
October
It's a quiet consolation
A mistake that I don't mind
Tobi arrives with a clear bottle of sparkling water that she's recently infused with tea and peaches, her mbira, and a tennis ball (just in case). The chill of the outside world is not entirely defended against by the Tower, so although the doctor wears an oversized cable-knit sweater, she also has a tartan blanket with her too—the one from her office.

"I didn't think I'd be seeing those particular strings again." The words have an air of a question, but it would be easy enough for Finn to brush it off if he didn't feel like talking about it. Though Tobi wouldn't necessarily say that Finn is a completely different person now, there are enough small changes in some of his routines and mannerisms that she wouldn't say he's quite as predictable as he once was.

And that wasn't a bad thing.

Beaming at the spyglass, Tobi holds up the glass bottle that shimmers a faint gold. "For after. Don't worry, it's non-alcoholic."
Maybe you'll meet me at the station
Or maybe somewhere down the line
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
we are all broken
He doesn't feel the cold as badly as Tobi, and the guitar does a great deal to keep him warm, but Finn has still pulled on a thick sweater to ward off the chill of the Tower. By the time she arrives, unbeknownst to the Spyglass, the strings have started to do their work; the area around him seems a little brighter than the pale light in the windows would suggest, and he glances up and offers her a smile that, for once, seems to hold very little baggage.

"Neither did I. But I couldn't throw them, after Safrin's chosen very likely saved my life," he remarks. Before she can panic, Finn - still smiling - gives his explanation. "I went to look over the cliffs at the Sleeping Steps. I almost fell, if it were not for Ronin Taliesin. I believe I owe him two favours now."

Tilting his head at the bottle and scooting up a bit that Tobi might sit down, Finn nods approvingly. "It looks good. A shame about the alcohol." A joke? From Finn? No way.
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
Rarely does the atmosphere around Finn ever seem inviting. But his smile and Safrin's magic go quite a long way to make it seem just that. "He what?" Tobi blinks her surprise, though Finn must have known she wouldn't understand. Plopping down and placing her things on the ground, she turns toward the Spyglass with a brow arched. "Finn!" The admonishment is said with a good deal of amusement, though the doctor still pins Finn with a warning look just the same. "Ronin is...a good man." She says as her smile wanes. "Gods know what he sees in the Lullaby." From everything Finn had told her, what she'd heard from the others, and the damage she'd seen for herself, Remi Taliesin seemed very much like the villain someone like Ronin should be after, not married to.

"Be careful with those favours." Tobi says with a laugh. "Or you might just find yourself stealing Skyships with him."

Surprised indeed by Finn's near-jovial tone, Tobi just crinkles her nose. "Excuse me, I'm a professional Finn. I don't drink in the middle of the day." Haughtily said, the doctor's expression immediately slips into one of mischief. "..anywhere but my office, that is." She adds with a grin.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
"October!" Finn echoes, his tone one of gentle admonishment just as hers had been, though he's gently strumming the strings of his guitar again rather than thinking too hard about the sharp drop, the waves slamming against the rocks. His joviality fades by degrees, however, at mention of the Lullaby. Though that's hardly a surprise. "People are complicated," he murmurs, though whether that's a remark about Ronin or Remi (or Finn, even) is unclear.

Tobi gets his attention back when it comes to stealing skyships, though, and he raises his eyebrows at her, a smile that threatens to dimple his cheeks spreading across his face. "There is a story here," he says. "I can sense it. And I will ask about it... later," he decides, a hint of amusement threading his words. Sleep and self-care have peeled away layers of the Spyglass's shell, it appears, and he is as relaxed here with October as he ever will be.

"As for my favours, I thought the least I could do was use Safrin's strings. They are not as bad as I thought - I think I may have judged a goddess harshly."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
It's rare for Finn to call her anything other than Doctor Heart. Tobi is usually reserved for moments of crisis, but October? You can't help the sunny smile that spreads across your lips, but you roll your eyes at him for good measure anyway. "I think complicated is just a nice way of saying makes bad decisions." Tobi says, though what who this is meant to target is just as vague as how Finn had left things.

With no magical additions to her instrument, Tobi does have to check her tuning. Luckily it takes quite a hit to knock the metal and wooden contraption out of key. (Artemide's theft of it, for example, but Tobi has long since tuned it). 'Oooh, later, is it?" Some might be nervous around this iteration of Finn, as if he were some glass figurine who might break at any moment. As if his playfulness was a delicate thing. And indeed, it probably was. But Tobi was not one to keep her toys in the packaging nor to overly baby those around her. "It's a pretty good story. You might just have to earn it." She shoots back with a chuckle.

Deciding not to comment on Finn's judgement of Safrin—believing her to be better than one judged seemed like an awfully Safrin thing to say about her—Tobi just shrugs. "It almost... I feel like I can almost smell salt in the air." But like Finn, the doctor wasn't particularly fond of the sea either.

"Play me something sunny, and I'll join in."
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
"I suppose I must be a nicer person than you are for sugar-coating it, then," Finn retorts, though he absolutely does not disagree with her. Because she is absolutely right, of course, and he leaves it at that. Whilst she tunes her instrument, he fusses over his guitar in a similar fashion. It doesn't need anything done to it, but he enjoys the familiarity of the motions, and so they sit for a bit in a silence that has never seemed comfortable before now.

"Earn it? I was unaware that our relationship was transactional," he remarks, giving the instrument an experimental strum once he's finished, before sitting back to get comfortable. "It does feel a little like the ocean, doesn't it?" He glances around as if he might see something - and were he wearing his spectacles, he might, but Finn has also been careful with those as of late.

So he acquiesces, as Tobi requests her sunny song, promptly bursting into something lively enough to get the air around them feeling warm and balmy, like a LongHeat day in the Pacifist Plaza. Probably with a cold beer.

Finn is playing THIS!
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
"Suppose so." Tobi agrees, though it's accompanied by a quiet and almost secretive smile. Though there are things she certainly won't tiptoe around with Finn, there are some she will. Compliments being one of them. Whatever internal freedom Finn has found, Tobi doesn't think he's quite ready to be lavished with compliments.

"All relationships are transactional." Tobi quips with an easy shrug, flashing her friend a bright smile. Though there was truth in her words, the doctor wasn't going for any deeper meaning by saying them. Looking toward the ground, Tobi casually rolls the ball beneath her foot, before shooting Finn a suggestive smile.

As Finn begins, Tobi is transported away by the music as much as by the flash of Finn's fingers. Silently she wonders if his callouses have returned and what he sees behind his eyes. The notes have such joy in them that Tobi has to bite back on a laugh. Quickly she slips off her shoes that she might feel the rhythm of it more succinctly. Curling one foot beneath her, Tobi lets her body absorb the tempo and heart of the song before joining it. She isn't ambitious at first, instead, finding her way into the key he's playing in and then working out a baseline so that Finn's fingers might concentrate more on the melody.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
Finn is much too absorbed in the music to think too deeply about compliments and transactional relationships (thankfully, given his past). It's true that his callouses have returned - and if they hadn't, they would have by the end of this venture; he's been spending almost every free moment practicing or reading or sleeping, and it shows. A smile flashes across his face when he hears Tobi's baseline thread beneath his melody, though he can't take his attention off the strings for now.

Around them the light is golden and warm, and the scent of honeysuckle and sweet pastries suffuses the air. Finn's memories, no doubt, and it's a gentle reminder that he has good ones tucked away deep down. By the time the song rings out and fades, his knuckles are pink from rapping out the rhythm, and there's a boyish smile that won't leave his lips. "It has been a long time since I played that," he says. "Was it sunny enough for you?"
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
Tobi isn't quite at the beach...instead she feels like she's on a picnic in some hidden alpine meadow. There are flowers all around, and a wind that's as warm as it is sweet. The sun is high and hot above and her toes are wiggling into the dirt and the long, soft grasses.

But then the music stops as she knew it would, and the world she'd been imagining disappears. "Mmmmm take me back." Tobi protests through a playful whine, her long lashes fluttering open and her eyes slightly squinted as if there were really a sun high above them instead of a lacklustre ceiling. "I'm glad you kept the strings." She says, lifting her wrist to her nose and smelling as if the perfume of sweet foods and honeysuckle might still be on her skin.

Leaning back and closing her eyes once more to enjoy the fleeting images behind her eyelids, the doctor smiles to no-one in particular. 'Thank you.' She says eventually, opening her heads and turning her gaze towards Finn. "I really enjoyed that."
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
Finn can't help the surprised laugh that huffs out from his chest, not having expected a reaction so strong, though he does begin to play a winding and meandering sort of melody - not nearly as energetic, but a cheerful sort of lullaby nonetheless. It's something for his hands to do whilst they talk, if nothing else - and it's easy enough for Tobi to join in if she likes, too.

"I am glad I did too," he admits with a warm, secret sort of smile. Finn is not the time to do kind things for himself, and this feels exquisitely selfish, almost - like a step too far in the right direction. If he isn't careful, he might fall into this feeling and never surface, and who would he be then? Would he care?

Bemused by her thanks but nonetheless accepting of it, he gives a nod to her. "You are welcome. Would you like to keep playing? Perhaps one day you can show me the piano."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
"Mmmm." Tobi hums, her smile making the sound buoyant as her cheeks turn round with her joy. Like it is for Finn, moments of uninterrupted joy and rest are rare for the doctor. Spending nearly all of your time at work will do that to you. Unlike Finn though, the doctor is more than happy to bask in the sensation of it without a second thought.

'I would.' This time it's Tobi who takes the lead while Finn's fingers noodle along. The melody she strikes out is almost childlike, and as she lends her voice to the mix, it too remains firmly in the land of whimsical. The song she plays isn't long or overly complicated, but Tobi's sunny-smile shines through with every note she sings.

"It sounds better on the piano." Tobi admits after the song has meandered to a close. "My mom used to sing that to me when I was a little girl. It was one of the first songs she ever taught me to play." As for showing Finn her piano? Tobi smiles. "You know where it is, if you ever want to see." She replies. It's a gentle way of saying, when you're ready. Because though she knows it's easier for Finn to be in someone else's room over his own, it's still a rather private place and she'd not rush him into closed doors just for the sake of her preferred instrument.

Tobi plays this!. In that sort of childlike style.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
Finn's fingers are quite happy to noodle along, Tobi will find, and he closes his eyes to feel out the melody they make up - at least until the doctor takes the lead. Even then, Finn is lost in the music right up until her voice hits the air, sweet and unexpected; his stormy eyes flutter open, the Spyglass's fingers faltering for just a second before they pick up the baseline in her song.

He's smiling before he realises it, not the type to add his voice to his music - he plays precisely because of what he cannot say, after all, letting the strings and chords speak through him. "And did you?" he asks gently, tilting his head to her. "Dream a little dream of her, I mean." His fingers dance thoughtfully across the guitar, barely plucking. "I don't think I remember anything my mother gave me."

A touch too deep, perhaps, because he brightens purposely a moment later. "Thank you. I may just take you up on it, one day," he says of her piano, and for once it sounds as though it might be true.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
'I always do.' Tobi replies with a slow, sweet smile. "She died...oh..." The mental math takes longer than it ought to, but only because it isn't a sum the doctor wants to recall. "3 years now. I don't see my dad as often as I'd like to because of work. My mom was always the one who'd make sure I came over for dinner each week. Without her...we both just..." Tobi shrugs, rolling her wrist slightly to indicate that life always just seemed to come up.

'Did she have blue eyes too?' Tobi wonders, glancing across at Finn. 'My dad says I have my mother's eyes.' She adds to clarify the reason behind her question.

'Oh!' Grinning eagerly now, Tobi turns her shoulders fully as she looks at Finn, her smile utterly wide and childish in its delight. "You never guessed the answer to my riddle." Probably because Cian had been in the middle of a crisis. "What's the difference between a piano and a fish? And no, you can't just say one is a piano and one is a fish."