{se} put it on my tab
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Arialla

Arialla didn't usually frequent taverns, but her second LongNight in Caido had driven her to the Hanged Man -- for the cheerful, festival atmosphere more than the alcohol itself. Oh, Torchline might not have monsters, might not include the horrors of LongNight in the Hollowed Grounds -- horrors that Arialla hoped she'd never see, as she had no intention of ever lingering in the Grounds this time of year -- but the constantly dark skies still oppressed Arialla's spirits. So, like so many Torchers, she could use a distraction.

At home, everyone had drunk wine at every meal -- watered, usually, in varying proportions depending on the occasion and the drinker. It had taken Arialla a while to get used to other beverages, here, and now as she waved politely to the barkeep, she called, "Hello! I'd like to try your wine."

please don't take my sunshine away

coding base by Skylark
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
RAZA
Ain’t no party like a LongNight party an’ a LongNight party dont’t stop.

Until Raza kicks ‘em out of the bar around 4 am an’ they continue on to the beach. Luckily it ain’t 4 am yet, an’ the bar keep is still fresh faced an’ bushy-tailed this early into the week. Someone she doesn’t recognize walks in an’ Gods, what a head’a hair she has. Raza’s always like redheads (who doesn’t?), for one reason or another, so she flashes the stranger a quick smile an’ finishes wipin’ a glass before coming over to serve her.

A tame order. It’s slightly disappointin’, but this Torcher knows how to make the best’a it. Upsell, even.

“Sure, we got that. But have you ever tried Mamajuana?” Flashin’ her best knowing grin, Raza tries to work her magic. “It’s better ‘n any wine we got, in my humble opinion.”
tonight the heartache's on me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

Arialla

"Mamajuana?" Arialla smiled back at the bartender, perfectly willing to be friendly and a bit charmed, though getting her to actually expand her tastes might be a bit more difficult. LongNight left her a bit anxious, even with all the partying, but that made her all the more willing to seek a distraction in a good conversation. She was, however, a little more leery about actually putting a strange drink in her body. "I've never heard of it."

That surely described most of the Hanged Man's menu, though, considering that Arialla wasn't much of a drinker, and had never visited the bar before. Still, she was willing to entertain the idea: "What's it made with?"

coding base by Skylark
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RAZA
“Ah, you ain’t a Torcher then, are ya?” Raza turns from the redhead to her shelves of bottles and pics one with a deep red liquid in it. Easily dangling the neck between her fingers, she swings it up to catch it in her other hand and then pivots to present it to Arialla.This is mamajuana.”

Her guest might be able to see some sediment floating within, which Raza promptly explains. “It’s a secret blend’a rum, wine, an’ honey mixed together with some special bark ‘n herbs. Sweeter ‘n winet. Slight herby finish on the end. Definitely more potent.” Raza shrugs at that though, because what’s potency matter durin’ LongNight?

“But if you ain’t ever had any, I think ya outta. For funsies.” Naturally, of course. She grins, a bright, toothy, genuine grin that says yes, she really does think it’s a fun drink.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

"Not for long," Arialla admitted. She considered herself a Torcher now, but she'd only lived here a year -- not much to those who had been born and raised here. "I'm an Outlander."

Looking at the drink with some skepticism, Arialla thought about it. Wine, honey, and rum ... That didn't sound so bad, did it? Herbs and spices even sounded nice. She could probably handle that, and if not, well, she didn't have to drink the whole thing. As for the potency -- her thoughts mirrored Raza's: what was LongNight for, if not potency?

"I'll try it," Arialla decided.

coding base by Skylark
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
That’s the spirit,” Raza declares with a wide smile as she reaches down below the counter to grab two glasses - one for her patron an’ another for herself. After all, it’s early an’ Raza Ekambe can drink with the best of ‘em. A second quick search finds the strainer, which she rests atop the first glass. Unstopping the bottle, Raza pours for what seems like a specific amount’a time. When she’s done, there’s about two fingers worth’a the beautifully rich, deep red liquid in the glass.

And a splash in the second. Quality control an’ all.

Passin’ the first glass across the bar, she sets the bottle aside an’ then leans a bit over the bar. “T’ LongNight.” the Torcher offers up, ready to clink their glasses together for good luck.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla watched the bartender pour her drink with something akin to fascination, a smile touching her lips. Whatever the mamajuana tasted like, it certainly looked good. She took the glass and raised it, though the toast gave her a bit of a pause.

"To LongNight," she did say, clinking her glass with Raza's, though there was a wry note in her voice. LongNight was her least favorite time of year, after all; no endless party could make up for the lack of a sun in the sky, not in Arialla's. She wasn't much of a partier.

The obligatory toast made, Arialla took a sip of the drink -- not a huge gulp, but she didn't want to offend the bartender by being overly cautious, either.

coding base by Skylark
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
It’s pretty clear that the red-head ain’t a partier, so Raza clinks the glass and takes a sip, savorin’ the sweet, familiarspice as it warms the back’a her throat an’ then ‘er belly. She turns away fer a moment, t’tip the used glass into the bin’a dirty glasses, take it to the back, an’ the refill another customer’s glass with some golden, foam-topped ale.

When she comes back to Arialla, there’s a polite smile on ‘er face an’ she makes some small talk. As the only one at the bar with no one else t’talk to, Raza sees it as her duty t’ keep the stranger occupied - unless she wants to be alone. Startin’ with a tentative, safe question is key. She busies ‘er hands with wipin down clean classes an’ settin’ them on the counter t’dry.

“So. An Outlander, huh? Wot’s yer world like?”
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

The drink was good, Arialla discovered, its warmth and flavor making her smile. She focused on the drink while the bartender was gone, then returned her attention to the woman when she approached again. Arialla might be alone at the bar, but she certainly wasn't averse to some company.

"I lived near the ocean," Arialla said, glancing out to sea. "It was like Torchline in many ways, but there were differences, too. We didn't have as much in the way of monsoons, and we didn't have LongNight at all."

Arialla paused to consider the differences between her home -- her former home, she reminded herself -- and Caido, or at least Torchline. "I lived in a small town where most families earned their livelihood through fishing. You didn't see the kind of, mm, not-so-aboveboard activities that you do here. It was ... sleepier. And the gods didn't speak to us as much. You didn't go to a shrine and ask for a conversation with a god; one person in a thousand might receive a true blessing, if they were incredibly lucky."

She didn't mention, yet, that she had been one of the lucky ones.

coding base by Skylark
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
Raza listens while she works, noddin’ every now and then to show that her customer ain’t just talkin’ to the empty space. As she dries ‘n listens, the proprietress comes to the conclusion that this old home sounds boring. Sleepy towns ain’t for everyone, just the way that Haulani ain’t for everyone. But it doesn’t sound like the redhead is up for hearin’ the Torcher’s opinion of her old home (and Raza will defend Torchline as the best place till the day she dies), so she keeps her mouth shut.

Not a difficult thing t’do.

“I get that. We didn’t start t’get a lot of answers till that barrier thing around the Grounds fell down an’ the Heralds came out. The Big Three weren’t exactly interested in us an’ our problems, I don’t think.” Shrugging, Raza indicates she doesn’t much care. It’s probably the biggest reason she’s real noncommittal about the Gods an’ their plans - slash whatever it is they’re tryin’ t’do. Y’can’t leave people alone fer three hundred years an’ then expect them t’all of a sudden do your bidding.

Huh. That’s probably why they need the Outlanders as demi-gods.

Anyway. “Sounds calm,” she agrees with the hint of a smile. Reachin’ out for the bottle, she offers the woman a refill. “On the house.”
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

"I didn't realize the heralds had been trapped in the bubble with the Voice," Arialla said, intrigued by this bit of Caido's history. She hadn't arrived until long after the bubble fell, and she'd never thought of how the heralds' presence inside it might affect the rest of Caido -- or realized that they'd been trapped inside to begin with.

But she nodded as well; Raza's description of the gods' disinterest was familiar to her. "It still seems strange, sometimes, that the gods here are so involved. The heralds, at least."

Arialla sipped the second glass more slowly, taking care not to overdo it. She smiled at Raza. "Thanks."

coding base by Skylark
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
Well now, this is somethin’ Raza can talk about. While the Gods ain’t really her cup’a tea either, all the developments that’ve washed over their previously undisturbed city have made her take’a  bit’a interest in the goings-on in the Grounds. Her little birds bring back whispers, too. Folks like t’talk, moan ‘n groan, bitch, whatever yeh wanna call it. Raza hears.

Her head bobs up an’ down a bit as she spots Hoa in the rafters an’ reaches up to offer him a way down. “Oh yeah. They were s’posed to keep watch over the Grounders, or somethin’ like that. Instead, they let it turn into a shithole, leavin the rest’a Caido wiv no real way to…” here she drifts off as Hoa takes her offer and begins to wind his way down her arm. She’s searchin for a phrase to not make what she means sound so crude, but… well, Raza is kinda crude at times.

“Let’s just say we didn’t have an’ inklin’a the power the Outlanders had when they came outta that bubble, cause yeah, its like yeh said. Ther heralds are hands-on, but the Big Three are hands-off. An’ now it’s all…” She makes a vague gesture with her free hand, placin’ Hoa ‘round her neck an’ taking a sip of the drink she’d poured earlier.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

The conversation caught Arialla's interest more strongly now that Raza seemed invested in the topic. As long as she'd been in Caido, Arialla had never really thought much about the dynamics of Caido's development as the barrier came down and the portals allowed the Grounders to spread.

"So you think the gods neglected the rest of Caido, because the heralds -- the responsive gods -- weren't here?" Arialla spoke without accusation; she was genuinely interested in Raza's opinion.

Hoa drew Arialla's attention for a moment, and her eyes widened to see the snake at first, but Raza's clear familiarity with him set her at ease, and she returned her focus to the conversation -- and to her drink, which she sipped as Raza spoke.

"Do you think the Outlanders have ... " Arialla trailed off, not sure what she meant exactly. She got the feeling that Raza didn't totally like or trust Outlanders, and though she might be an Outlander herself, that didn't really bother her. Raza's skepticism seemed more addressed to the Outlanders as a whole, their overall influence, than individuals. And besides, Arialla could understand being a bit suspicious of foreigners. "I mean, how would you say things have changed? I wasn't here before, of course."

coding base by Skylark
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
Hooooo boy, now things are gettin’ deep, an Raza didn’t expect for the conversation to continue in the same direction, given the tone she often finds ‘erself thinkin’ in when it comes t’Outlanders. And, y’know, there bein’ an Outlander sittin’ right in front’a her. She grows quite for a minute, maskin’ her thoughts by takin’ a much bigger sip’a her drink.

“Aight,” she says, as she opens the bottle again, this time t’top up her own glass. “I can tell ya how I really feel if y’don’t hold it against me. Cause it ain’t personal t’you, an’ I ain’t tryin’ t’run any guests away. I don’t want my opinions t’affect the business.” Fixin’ Arialla with a frank look that hopefully says I’m fuckin’ serious, don’t screw me over. she pauses an’ puts up a finger t’acknowledge someone in the back.

“If y’say no, its all good too. That drink’s still on the house.” Raza just likes a little informed consent before she goes layin’ out her increasingly strong opinions on the controversial matter. And a name, so she knows who t’hunt down later. “And ‘m Raza. Be right back.” Turnin' t'pull another glass'a ale, Raza heads to the other side of the room for a moment, leaving Arialla to ponder the decision before her.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3