by the dawn's sweet light
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
FINN
the spyglass
it is only through mystery and madness
During LongNight, even the Celestine with its artificial starlight seems muted and quiet. Indeed, it is positively ghostly as Finn walks along its winding pathways, his hands buried in the pockets of his coat, his nose and mouth hidden by his scarf. The snow before them and behind them is blank and virgin, without any prints to suggest that others are also wandering around the gardens. "I never used to like going out during LongNight," he says, finding that conversation comes easier, these days.

Because it isn't as though Finn doesn't know how to make conversation. He just isn't very good at it, and doesn't often care for it. But with Tobi, their level of familiarity is such that these meetings are becoming something to look forward to. Maybe even something to enjoy.
that the soul is revealed
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
October
let me see you through
'cause i've seen the dark side too.
"Strangely, it's one of the quietest times of the year for me." Tobi replies. She's equally bundled up—perhaps more so—with a lilac scarf wrapped around her nose that trails upwards into a make-shift hat. "Alcohol poisoning and a few stitches needed from barfights are about the worst I see. It's when I get to catch up on my paperwork." She isn't being sarcastic either. Not unlike Finn, Tobi is a workaholic and genuinely enjoys the chance to get back on top of things. It's a fresh start into the new year, only this year apparently she's taking a different approach to that fresh start.

Tobi feels a strange mixture of nauseous and excitement. She isn't the type to feel nervous about things, if only because she's always so genuinely October all the time that nerves rarely factor into the things she does. Also because the things she does are mostly doctor-things, piano, and drinking in her office; all things she's quite good at.

But now she's about to bare herself in a way she literally never had before, and gods if that isn't the most terrifying and wonderful feeling.

"I sort of feeling like laughing and crying right now, not going to lie." Tobi says, happy to break the air of tension with overt honesty. "It's like..this bubble in the back of my throat that I have to breathe around."
When the night falls on you
& you don't know what to do
Nothing you confess could make me love you less
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
"It's the same for me, honestly. I use it to forward plan, to schedule and catch up on side projects," Finn says, both surprised and not at how similar their habits seem to be. Unlike Tobi, however, he is merely a guide in this process, and their twin prints lead deeper into the Celestine. He doesn't really know what he's looking for, but he trusts that Tobi will know when they reach an empty enclosure that she can hop into.

When she speaks, however, it doesn't escape Finn, how big a deal this must be, and he glances across at her, his eyes crinkling beneath his scarf in the closest approximation of a smile that he can give right now. "You can do both, if you like. I won't mind," he tells her, shrugging his shoulders. "Though I can't say I would be much help if you did."
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
October
let me see you through
'cause i've seen the dark side too.
Tobi both does and doesn't know what she's looking for. There are no other tracks in the snow, no one else around. She could likely transform here and now, next to Finn, and none would be the wiser. Despite how much Tobi resides in her own mind, now she's letting her gut dictate things. She'll know when it's the right time.

Just like she knew when she should tell Finn.

Tobi laughs at that, her scarf muffling the sound and hiding almost all of her face, such that like Finn, it's only her eyes that really give away her joy. "No...have you ever tried that though? I did once. It was one of those moments where I just felt like I needed to scream, and so I did. And you know what?" She tilts her head to look at him, cheeks round and hidden beneath her scarf. "It didn't make anything better. The feeling was still there."

After a few more minutes of wandering, Tobi eventually stops. There's nothing obviously different about the enclosure she's next to, nothing that marks it as being the one. "I'm stalling." She admits, more to herself than to Finn. "And if I keep stalling, I'm going to lose my nerve." The doctor doesn't sound particularly moved by this little pep talk, but still, she steps over the small lattice railing into the enclosure, hands balled into fists at her side.

"I won't be able to talk to you, other than yes or no questions, so..." Tobi turns, very obviously stalling still.
When the night falls on you
& you don't know what to do
Nothing you confess could make me love you less
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
"No, I don't think I ever have," Finn admits, turning his eyes back to the path ahead, though even he isn't sure why. He understands nerves, especially with something like this, though truthfully Finn has also had to tell himself repeatedly that this is Tobi. This is an Attuned shift, and she didn't have any choice over it. But as much as Finn might be genuinely supportive, he's aware that the rest of Stormbreak aren't likely to be as accepting of what she is.

I'm stalling, she says, and Finn almost tells her that he hasn't said anything to prompt it, before he realises she's talking to herself. They approach an enclosure, the doctor steps inside, and Finn? Finn waits. And waits some more. Eventually he can't help but smile, feeling as if their roles have been somewhat reversed. So he takes out his glasses and sets them on his nose, then slips a notepad and pencil from his pocket. "In your own time, Tobi," he says gently. "Though preferably on this side of LongNight."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
lights will guide you home, & ignite your bones
& i will try to fix you
Companion of the abandoned. Healer of the ascended. There were any number of reasons to hate unicorns, all of which were the reason for Tobi's silence all this time. And now, standing in the snow with only Finn's blue eyes to ground her, she isn't sure.

Hearing it is one thing. Seeing a unicorn in the Celestine is another. But seeing Tobi as a unicorn? Can Finn take that?

Can she?

It's only the subtle mirth in Finn's voice that has her exhaling the breath she'd been holding. He with his notepad and glasses, Tobi realizes that Finn is hardly likely to see what happens next as Tobi. Surely he'll be lost in his own mind and observations about unicorns, and won't have time to think about the creature as the doctor.

"Why, you have somewhere better to be?" Tobi quips back, feeling suddenly at ease. Taking in a breath that she holds in her cheeks, blowing out in such a way as to cause fog to billow before her, she closes her eyes, and...

...Tobi is the paradigm of what we think of, when we think of unicorns. She is slender in a way horses aren't, more closely resembling the build of a deer almost. Her coat is so white it nearly glows, and as she takes a tentative step forward, her cloven hooves leave dainty and precise tracks in the snow. Turning ears like pale tulip-petals toward the Spyglass, the unicorn gives Finn an uncertain look. Or, as uncertain as she's able to communicate in this form, with one ear slightly back, and her nostrils softly flared.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
Tobi is, of course, completely right about her assumptions. As Finn flicks to a blank page and writes an innocuous description of events (making sure not to add a date, which is not his custom, but this is a matter of care and discretion), he is completely consumed in his research. And then he glances up, caught briefly by a swathe of colour and light that has his breath stuttering in his throat - it has been a while since he wore his spectacles - before Tobi shifts.

Considering nothing else; not her status as his doctor or his friend or a member of the Order, there is no denying that the unicorn before him is breathtaking. Finn's fingers pause in their writing of notes just so he can watch her, the delicate prints left in the snow, the slender limbs and warm, intelligent eyes. Her aura, of course, is still intact, but it only adds to the display. Tobi is brighter than any star in the Celestine's false sky, and Finn lets out a breath he hasn't realised he's been holding.

"Go on," he encourages. "I'll be right here."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
& i will try to fix you
For a moment, the air is still and dense and dark. It stretches thick between the two of them, like invisible amber holding them in place. And then he speaks and it all shatters, and she's free.

The muscles beneath her coat ripple with power unbefitting her slender limbs as she suddenly spins in the false moonlight. Galloping into the darkness of her enclosure, the stars follow overhead lighting her way into the enclosure. Snow flies around her hooves as her tail streaks out like a banner behind her, proud and energetic. Skidding to a stop in a movement both playful and powerful, Tobi turns again and races back toward Finn. Starlight bounces off her coat in silvery ripples as her nose tucks toward her chest as if to make her more aerodynamic.

There is precious little stopping time between her and the Spyglass now, and only a small barrier between them. But stop Tobi does, her hooves digging into the snow as her forelegs rise into the air. Drawn up to her full height, Tobi's whinny is like a silver peel of laughter from a choir of bells, accompanied by the low thud of drums as her hooves touch back down.

Wordlessly of course, the unicorn flicks an uncertain ear toward Finn as an idea forms in her mind. Tossing her head, her mane flowing fluidly across her neck, she prances in place, trying to communicate her idea to the man before her.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
Tobi's movements are like the shattering of ice upon the surface of a lake, and Finn almost jumps to see her race away across the snow. He smiles beneath his scarf despite himself, writing a few notes in shorthand to try and somehow capture the beauty of all he's seeing. It's not remotely possible, of course - if Finn were an artist for paint and canvas, perhaps. Alas, the most he can think to do is write a song about it.

Still, before he's even finished writing, Tobi comes charging back toward him, causing the Spyglass to take a few very careful steps back, and he raises his eyebrows to watch her. She's trying to communicate something, that much is clear, but given that Tobi was the one to warn him that she wouldn't be able to answer (or speak, for that matter), Finn hasn't expected this.

"I am not sure what you are asking me," he says, almost through a laugh as if to tell her it's useless.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
& i will try to fix you
Finn! You were so good at riddles before! Tobi thinks helplessly, and though there's no one around to hear her, amusement still ripples out from her mind.

Stepping toward the fence line, the unicorn bends one foreleg, and then the other. Her body stretches and lowers until she's all but laid herself down in the snow. With an encouraging nicker, Tobi flares her nostrils, head bobbing ever so slightly.

Come on Finn. We don't have all day, you said so yourself. She thinks animatedly, as if were she to think loud enough, his glasses might spell out her thoughts in bright colours over her head.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
Finn might not be quick on the uptake when it comes to reading unicorn body language, but he'd have to be an idiot not to know what Tobi means when she lays herself down in the snow. The Spyglass remains backed up a few steps outside the enclosure, a rather nervous laugh escaping his lips. "Hey, whoa, Tobi." He raises his hands as if he might be able to slow her down - they were out here for her to stretch her legs in her shift, not for him to go horseback riding.

"I don't think that is such a good idea," he continues in his typically Finn way - all logic, all safety, no fun. "If someone spots the prints in the snow, they will be able to put two and two together, don't you think?" he motions to the hoof-and-footprints. Then again, he's ruined his own argument with the realisation that two sets of footprints are a lot less suspicious than one turning into hooves.

Tentatively, Finn takes a step into the enclosure. "I'm sure it would be quite the adventure for someone who was adventurous," he tries again, smirking.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
& i will try to fix you
Tobi's ears pin against her skull for a moment as he says her name. There would be no talking their way out of things now should someone arrive (there had been two sets of footprints, after all), but even so, it sent ice down Tobi's spine to hear her name spoken while she was in this form.

But Finn it will be so much faster this way, Tobi thinks to herself, watching the Spyglass with kind honey-coloured eyes that beg him to trust her. But it probably is too much. Not for others, but for Finn, and the doctor should have thought about that. She'd disappointed, perhaps surprisingly so. Not in Finn, but because she'd suddenly wanted to share this with him, and realized she couldn't.

Or..well maybe there was still a way.

Standing, Tobi shakes off the snow clinging to her sides and legs, before nickering warmly in Finn's directly. She exhales warm air against his neck, his lips tugging slightly at his scarf as she gives him a nudge with her nose. Taking a step deeper into the enclosure, the unicorn swishes her tail, head bobbing toward Finn, and then turning into the darker depths further on.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
Were it not for the surprise of it all, Finn might have thought about the implications of addressing Tobi directly. He'll chastise himself for it later - for now, at least Tobi has gotten him into the enclosure, even if she hasn't persuaded him to climb aboard for a moonlight unicorn ride (that shouldn't sound dirty, but it somehow it still does). He's not sure what she's planning when she does rise to her feet, and there's something utterly whimsical about a unicorn tugging at his scarf that has him chuckling without meaning to.

"Fine. Fine," he relents at last, following her out into the darkness of the enclosure, trusting her to guide the way. As they walk the snow, of course, grows deeper, and Finn's shoes and the bottoms of his pants will be soaked by the time they return. That is the price, he supposes, for not taking the offer of a ride.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
& i will try to fix you
There is so much Tobi would say as they walked, if she could. Explaining how the enclosures worked to give some context to what she was about to show him. It was possible he knew it all, clever man he was, but for someone as chatty as Tobi was normally, it felt strange being locked inside her own skull. As a dog she normally had a ball in her mouth or was fussing for cuddles. Walking next to Finn as she was, much taller than he, felt utterly foreign in comparison.

Forced to pick up her hooves as the snow thickens, Tobi prances elegantly at Finn's side. It's easier to keep her momentum this way, though there is still something decidedly puppy-like about her antics just the same. Overhead stars pulse and the trees gift off soft light as the snow lessens. King's End has snow this time of year of course, but not so much as Stormbreak. And, this now being an enclosure attuning itself to a unicorn, the scenery and creatures within, do the same.

Far below white hills roll out below them; an entire world stretches out in absolute perfection. In the distance is a vast hedge maze that makes the labyrinth in the Grounds look laughable in comparison. Somewhere in the distance, there is an elongated snarl, the sound of something vast and hungry. The King Maker Tobi would say, but instead she merely flares her nostrils at Finn's side, trying to ignore her flight instincts as they make her legs itch with adrenaline.
October