spooky scary skeletons
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
memory’s so treacherous
It doesn't matter how good the evening. It doesn't matter how high the dose. And it doesn't matter how good Finn is getting at taking care of himself - when the nightmares come, they come. So it is that Doctor Hart sends him up to bed with his medicine only shortly after eight in the evening; by midnight, Finn has rocketed out of bed in a cold sweat. Unable to take the confines of his apartment (unusual by his standards, but since a certain alchemist visited that's just the way it is), he pulls on a sweater and shoes and pads out into the corridors of the Tower.

Feeling like he's wandering the passageways of some haunted mansion, Finn shuffles through darkness that's punctuated every now and then by lamplight and the ghostly illumation of the blizzard outside. And it really is a blizzard, the Spyglass unable to see anything beyond the panes of glass. Quite where he's walking he doesn't know, but his thoughts are thorny and tangled and his hands are wedged in his pockets, clinking the keys to his rooms as he shuffles his way around.
one moment you’re lost in a carnival of delights
the next, it leads you somewhere you don’t want to go
FINN
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
she sees angels in the architecture
Tobi was absolutely working...that there are suddenly sketches of wine glasses whining, and speech bubbles with i'll never grow Bordeaux of you in them, is...well, shush. October loves being a doctor, of course. But for tonight, with a blizzard howling outside and the only company she has being a handful of kids who are sleeping off too much alcohol, it's understandable that the snippet of a different life she and Finn had talked about earlier that evening would work itself back into her thoughts.

She imagines sharing the stage with Finn, he with his guitar and she with her piano. They'd pick up certain quirks, like never sitting on the piano bench together during a show, or Tobi always needing a yellow umbrella in her drink for good luck. On one night Finn would wear mismatched socks that would show when he sat down to play, and Tobi would never let him live it down. The sounds of music and lively conversation would be enough to lull them Finn to sleep, and Tobi would always keep the bar spotless. And everything would sound like—

thump. slide. jingle. hush.

—no, not like that. Frowning, Tobi blinks and turns toward her open office door. Head cocked to the side, she listens.

thump. slide. pause.

jingle. slide. thump

With a frown, assuming one of the drunken teenagers were searching for something, Tobi marches into their room to find them all asleep.

thump. slide. jingle. hush.
spinning in infinity
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
memory’s so treacherous
Finn isn't remotely aware of where he's walked, but it's perhaps not so surprising that his subconscious has taken him back down to the medical clinic. He has spent the evening with Tobi and it was the last place he visited before retiring to sleep; his feet know the way back down there without needing a prompt. But Finn's mind isn't on the clinic; it isn't on wine glasses or music stages or odd socks. He's deep in the cold outside by now, leaving prints that are instantly covered up.

And something is pursuing him - something he can't give a name to, but something that terrifies him nonetheless. So wrapped up is Finn in remembering the nightmare he's trying to avoid, he passes right by the clinic and accidentally turns too soon around a corner, knocking his shoulder against the wall. Hissing in a breath and removing his hand from his pockets to rub at the bruise that will probably form, his keys tumble out and onto the flagstones.

He stoops, of course, to get them, and continues on around the corner.
FINN
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Tobi spins, hearing down the hall a sharp intake of breath. 'Falke?' She calls out, glancing toward his office. The sound of tripping suddenly makes more sense, given her coworkers limp, but—no, he isn't there. Anyone there? Tobi calls out silently. If there is an attuned wandering down, at least this will let her know.

But there's no answer.

The jingle comes again, and what she thinks is the sound of a door opening, though she can't be sure. Swallowing hard, Tobi pads down the hallway, peering into the darkness. The shadows flicker with the torchlight, and somewhere a window left open bangs on its hinges. It's enough to make the doctor's heart jump into the back of her throat. Laughing nervously as she tells herself how stupid she's being, Tobi steels her nerve and continues unknowingly in Finn's wake.

Passing one of the alcoves where equipment is stored, Tobi reaches for a fistful of tongue depressers. Quite what she's planning on doing with them is anyone's guess, but it makes her feel better to have something clutched between her fingers.
spinning in infinity
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
memory’s so treacherous
The sound of a voice has him blinking, pausing in his footsteps. So lost is Finn in his thoughts, he hasn't noticed the pitch or tone of said voice nor what it has actually called out, but he's a little curious nonetheless. Finn has wound himself through pathways and corridors even beyond that initial corner, and he finds himself completely at a dead end without a clue where he's actually gone. Oh.

In what will no doubt turn out to be a terrible idea, Finn has paused in his stroll for long enough that Tobi will have easily caught up to him. And so when he whips around in the darkness suddenly, intenting to walk back the way he's come (or at least find out where he is), he collides quite spectacularly with the doctor. A startled yelp leaves Finn's throat and he staggers back, bumping into the wall at his back.
FINN
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Tobi rounds the corner, and in the stillness of the shadows she doesn't quite see Finn. Not until he takes that last damning step. Yes, hours ago Tobi had rather adored the Spyglass's closeness, but now, with thoughts of intruders or gods, ascended walking the halls, to feel Finn against her was absolutely terrifying.

That was the clinking, she realized. An ascended. Their machine parts. It was broken, so it came here, and—

"NO, I'LL LIGHT THESE ON FIRE, I'LL—" Tobi throws her fistful of wooden sticks at Finn's face, before reaching into her pocket. "I have matches, I'll—"

But she didn't, and now she was going to be bitten, and oh gods

finn?

Blinking at the Spyglass, entirely uncomprehending, Tobi continues fumbling in her pocket as if she really was still looking for her non-existent matches. "Finn?"
spinning in infinity
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
memory’s so treacherous
It's all just a blitz of confusion at first. Finn's back hits the wall, and then something hits his face, and the voice is screaming at him. The sound bounces around the small, close space and has him wincing a bit at the volume - only then he starts to recognise bits and pieces. Through a dry mouth and with a heart thundering its way out of his chest, he notices the silhouette in the darkness; he notices Tobi noticing him, even if she is threatening to set him on fire.

Finn can't help it.

In a display that may never come again in their friendship, the Spyglass starts to laugh. It's a rich and buoyant sound, rumbling through his chest and throat and dimpling his cheeks with a warm smile. He can't reply to her for laughing, trying to straighten up from the wall, trying to ruffle a hand through his curls, but his fingers catch in one of the wooden sticks. And, you know what, that just sets him off all over again.
FINN
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
And then he has the nerve to laugh! As if he hasn't just given Tobi a proper heartattack. Her fear dissolves into wry amusement, leaving her mouth still hanging open from her last threat. "Finn!!!!" She scolds playfully, reaching down to hastily gather up a few of the sticks only to gently lob them at his chest all over again.

"Finn I thought...!" Only now does Tobi realize how absurd her line of reasoning had been, and she promptly closes her mouth, letting the flush of embarrassment on her cheeks speak for her. Kneeling down to properly begin picking up the sticks, the doctor looks up at Finn, biting her lower lip and shaking her head scoldingly (though not looking at all like she means it).

"What are you doing down here? I sent you to bed hours ago."
spinning in infinity
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
memory’s so treacherous
Tobi doesn't help, as she picks up the sticks only to throw them at him a second time, and Finn is helpless in his laughter. He wants to help her, wants to be his usually polite and demure self, but her words keep ringing back through his head and he really can't stop. Eventually, of course, he has to get some semblance of control over himself, but his chest hurts and his throat is a bit raw with it as he tries to catch his breath. "You thought you could set me alight with matches and tongue depressers," he fills in for her.

By now he is actually leaning down to help, though the boyish grin won't leave his face. "I didn't mean to come down here. I had a nightmare and I didn't want to stay in my rooms, so I went for a walk. My feet must have taken me to the clinic," he explains. "I am sorry - I didn't mean to frighten you like that. I was daydreaming, I think."
FINN
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
'Well...yeah." Tobi grumbles, unwilling to back down even as her ridiculous plan was laughed back at her. 'You don't know it wouldn't have worked" She adds, prodding one of his shoes so that she could grab the depresser there. "You look pretty flammable to me." He didn't of course, he looked positively handsome boyish what with his stupid smile and dimples. If there is a double meaning about setting Finn on fire, Tobi isn't letting herself think of it.

'Oh." Tobi looks across at Finn now that he's on her eye-level, pausing in her hasty collection. "Are you alright now?" It's a genuine question, but the doctor can't help the way her smile tries to grow crooked. "I mean, being attacked aside?" So saying she reaches forward, plucking a stick out from where it was lodged in the collar of Finn's shirt.

"Well you can tell your feet there's nothing interesting down here. I think that's one of Falke's supply closets." Tobi says, nosing down the hall toward the single door.
spinning in infinity
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
memory’s so treacherous
"I'm quite certain I do know it wouldn't have worked," Finn says with a wry smile (his cheeks hurt now, too; unsurprisingly, the Spyglass does not make this facial expression all that frequently). He moves his foot to let her get at the stick under it, reaching out to collect a few more and accidentally brushing his fingertips against hers in that way that's so typical of rom-coms that it's painful. Except there's no lingering moment where their eyes lock and they blush - no, Tobi's reaching into his shirt to collect another stick and Finn automatically flinches back.

"Ah - sorry," he says - and now there's a blush, but it's more shame than butterflies. Is he alright now? Is he ever alright? "I'm certainly not having a nightmare any more." Finn rises to his feet, glancing over his shoulder towards the cupboard. "I wonder what the Fixer needs for his supplies," he says suddenly.
FINN
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Right. This is Finn. This isn't where, after a moment of eyes locking, they go at it with such vigour that a picture frame grows crooked on the wall with the force of their impromptu lovemaking. It isn't a time for pawing at each other in supply closets, or where they're discovered half undressed, by one of their colleagues.

Smiling brightly at Finn as if she has no idea at all what he's apologizing for—she does, and if anything it's her fault, but best she doesn't let it linger—Tobi chuckles under her breath. "Oh yeah, cleaning up highly flammable weapons in a spooky hallway is just peachy."

Standing, Tobi reaches out for the glorified popsicle sticks from Finn. They're useless now that they aren't sterile, but you know what they can be used for? "Mmm, what perfect kindling these will make for a fire." Listen, she'll die on this hill.

"Once I saw him with a flower-stuffed animal that was as tall as I was. I think...sometimes he uses props for some of his work." Tobi frowns slightly, her eyes falling onto the door she knew to be unlocked.

Finn...totally wouldn't want to look inside.
Right?
spinning in infinity
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
memory’s so treacherous
Highly flammable is questionable. Weapons even more so. But it's the spooky hallway that really gets him, Finn tilting his head around Tobi as if he's just seen something move over her shoulder, down in the deep, deep dark. "What makes it spooky?" Is it possible that she has discovered that the Spyglass does have a sense of humour? And that it's as wry and difficult to conjure as a lot of the other aspects of his personality? That's certainly not for Finn to say.

He hands over the sticks, raising his eyebrows to hear about Falke's props, as if that's more terrifying than anything that might be lurking around the corridors down here. And it is, truly. "He never uses them with me. Perhaps he believes I am interesting enough without the introduction of stuffed animals," he says, already half turning to face the cupboard. Slowly, he glances across to Tobi. "Shall I walk you back to the clinic?" he asks.
FINN
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Finn looks over her shoulder, and whether it's one of those moments where time slows down or whether it really has stretched out, but the hairs on the back of Tobi's neck begin to stand up. Looking over sharply, a breath held in the back of her throat, Tobi searches the darkness of the hallway. There's nothing there, right? "Did..you see..some..thin—Finn!" Realizing far too late that he's just being a shit, Tobi menacingly holds up a tongue depresser. To do what, she doesn't know, but waggling it in his face seems like a good start.

"Or, there's just no stuffed toys that approximate your demons." Tobi chirps; it's probably a bit too close to the truth, but it isn't as though Tobi can just perpetually pretend as if she doesn't know all the things she does about Finn. She does know them, and wants to be around him anyway.

'Well, you have to, seeing as that's the only way back up to your rooms." Tobi points out. But instead of leading them back, she takes a step toward the closed door, her toe pointed, and her step as graceful as any dancer. "Or..." Placing her hand on the knob, Tobi shoots Finn a mischievous grin, as she dramatically and slowly turns the doorknob.
spinning in infinity