if only to say you're mine
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
like a thief in the night, you crept into my mind
It took probably all of five minutes after Maeve left for the weight to sink in. It's taken the rest of the night for Aurelia to work up the courage to seek out Milo.

Her thumbnail presses between her teeth. What is she supposed to tell him? It's something she's been going over, over and over, over and over. Her boots shuffle across the porch leading up to the loft, halting suddenly in front of the door. She doesn't actually know where he is right now. He could be out for all she knows but that'd be better.

Part of her really doesn't want to find him here; she doesn't want to see the hurt or the disappointment, anger or sadness. Or worse yet, hatred. Her hands fall to her sides at the door, staring at it with a hard expression. In reality she has no idea how he'll take it, whether it'll be in stride as he takes most things - or if it will bring everything they've built crumbling down.

She had seriously considered just disappearing for the night altogether, stowing away on the Ark and sleeping there - as per usual. Milo would probably think nothing of it. But deception isn't really Aurelia's game, as she's made very clear to him before and, on top of that, guilt isn't something she can easily live with anymore. Not even for a day.

But she can't bring herself to try the door for fear that it will be open.

So she turns back to the front step, sitting down with a huff. A cigarette lights up in the last lingering hours of darkness. With a tormented groan, she buries her face in her hands.
Aurelia
code credits go to Skylark!<3
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you and me we're a day drink
He’s been busy, out and gathering a few things, listening in on conversations and rumors, and so no — no he isn’t home. He’s just been hanging out around the Hanged Man and Halenani, listening in and picking up on the events of LongNight — how many drinks one of the kids managed to sneak, how many other kids went and annoyed the shit out of the old man that lived at the end of the street. All in all, boring things, but enough to keep tabs on everything.

What he doesn’t expect is to see Aurelia, sitting on his steps, looking for all the world like life had crashed down around her. His head tilts and he offers her a wide grin even if she looks like she’s in quite the storm cloud, trying to be as cheery and bright as possible. “Thought I gave ya a key s’ya could get in if I was out?” He asks, though he can’t remember if he had or hadn’t. Either way he moves to stand in front of her, hand outstretched toward her to help her up before he’s fiddling in his pocket for the keys.
so lose your faith in me

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Not even the sound of approaching footsteps draws her gaze but the sound of Milo's voice most certainly does. The cigarette slips out from her fingers, barely a drag taken from it. Her gaze is a cloudy storm, probably verging on tears, but it's a bit hard for her to truly let them fall out. She doesn't deserve to.

Brows furrow at his innocent statement and, for a moment, that look leaves her eyes. Of course.

"Fuck," she lets out a sad laugh and digs into her pockets for it, where it faithfully awaits. She shakes her head, "I forgot you did." It doesn't matter anymore though.

She presses it to his outstretched palm, though not because she wants to make it easier for him to unlock the door but because he'll probably want it back after this.

She gets up by herself, pointedly refusing his aid, but she doesn't move out of his way. "Milo," she peers up at his cheerful eyes with a dreading furrow of her brow, shoulders rising with nerve-wracking apprehension. Her voice is a strained, weak croak. "I gotta tell you somethin'."
Aurelia
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Jus’ in case.” He reiterates, trying to brighten her mood as she searches for the key. She finds it, however, and that outstretched hand is used to be where she hands him the key, pointedly not using his help as she stands. A brow raises at that, but he says nothing, keeps that smile placed on his lips as he moves to unlock the door, finding her still blocking the way.

Honeyed eyes drift along her face, spying storm clouds in the sea glass there, and he pauses in his endeavor to unlock the door when she says his name. “Okay.” He tells her, confusion blossoming along his face. “Should go inside though. Warmer, y’know.” She’d find he’d forgotten his jacket, find the goosebumps that rise along his arms with the chill of the last bit of LongNight.

Milo steps around her to unlock the door with her key, opening it up and letting her in before he goes to close the door behind them. “S’what’s wrong?” He asks, locking the door and moving deeper into the shop, pausing when he reaches the counter so he can turn back to her.
so lose your faith in me

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
She purses her lips, jaw clenching, and at first she searches for words to argue. She doesn't want to go inside but he's cold and he persists, so she relents with fatigue in her expression. "Yeah..." she takes a step back.

It takes her a moment, gazing after him longingly. Eventually she follows him inside. There's no easy way out of this now. She's silent, standing stiffly off to the side of the counter. He prompts her to tell him what's wrong and her chest tightens. Her hand reaches up to cup around the back of her neck, rubbing it. For several tense moments, she doesn't say anything.

"You know... that I want to be a better person than I was before," she starts off slow, gaze glancing back up towards him, "you know what I used to be," her hand sidles back down to her side and her expression darkens, "and if I hadn't ended up here, I'd still be... but, I'm glad I'm not," her words start to hasten with nerves and her gaze flickers, "You make me want to be a better person, Milo... I've never had someone that makes me feel the same way you do. I told you I'd never hurt you and I meant that. I still do. But I'm-" she grimaces "-I'm fucking stupid. I'm sorry." Her eyes glaze over with a wet sheen.

"I fucked up."
Aurelia
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
She’s acting incredibly strange, and Milo isn’t sure where to even start with it all. So he leaves it open for her to begin, wondering what has gotten her so wound up. And the second her lips part to begin to explain, concern crosses his face, dark eyes growing a bit sharper and curious – perhaps quite worried of the response he’s about to get – when he straightens up from where he leans against the counter.

’Relia, what’d ya do?” He asks, less cheerful and far more worried, spying the tears in her eyes. He doesn’t make a move to go near her, wanting her to state what she’s done, wanting to know why she was panicking so hard. “Fuck... Didja kill someone?” He asks quietly, perhaps the tiniest bit horrified at the answer he may receive.

She’d fucked up, apparently. And she was using him as an excuse to be better, to not hurt him, but his stomach drops with the possibilities as they burn through him, arms absentmindedly coming up to grip at the countertop, eyes never straying from her.
so lose your faith in me

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
At first, she doesn't know how to take the assumption. Her gaze flashes with hurt and, then understanding. It's probably reasonable, given the context, given her past, given her line of work and subsequent set of skills. And she's certainly not working with saints now.

He clearly panics at the thought. At least a little, that she can see. She can't blame him for asking, even if the words draw those first tears from her eyes. She blinks them away.

"No. God, no," she starts closing the distance between them until she can reach the counter. "It's not anything like that... It's something else," her eyes flinch, "but I don't know how you'll take this and-- Milo, you have to know that I care about you, probably more than I care about anything else," she lifts her chin to level her gaze more fully on him, her voice thick with sincerity, "and.. and nothing could ever replace you. But I made.. a mistake." It's her turn to panic, feeling her breath shorten, "It just happened-" she chokes on the word.
Aurelia
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
What was he supposed to think? Her horror with his question is aired and his brows pinch together with more confusion. She approaches and for a moment he considers stepping back, out of her space. But he doesn’t – he promises her silently that he’ll listen. But he can’t help the tilt of his head as she says that it’s something else, nothing like a murder, which was… Good. It was great, actually, but that still left little to figure out what the hell it actually was.

I know…” He trails off, staring back at her – even if he hadn’t heard her say it before, he could tell. She didn’t have to say it for him to understand just how much he meant to her – though why that was, he was still trying to figure it out. “What happened?” He asks, lips quirking in a slight frown, remaining like a stone pillar were he stands.

And he waits for the answer, unsure how to go about prompting it aside from how he already has.
so lose your faith in me

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
He knows she cares about him and maybe this would be a sweeter moment if it were at any other time. A buildup to something better and lighter, but just as hard for her to admit all the same.

But it isn't another time, and isn't over something better. It certainly isn't as bad as murdering a person, though, and she breathes out a long-winded sigh at that. Somehow, with the 'ways to fuck things up' bar being set so high, it makes it a tiny bit easier to tell him the truth.

Let the consequences come. She just hopes he was really, truly listening to her when she said no one could ever replace him.

Her bottom lip quivers but she lifts her head and stares up, away. She's dragged this out long enough. "I kissed someone else..." she makes no other attempts to save herself here, because she shouldn't. She knows it was wrong, and she knows she shouldn't have. If he's angry, he has every right to be.
Aurelia
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
He waits, waits with bated breath for whatever horrible thing Aurelia had done to come spilling from her mouth. He’s tense with it, taught and wired, wanting nothing more than to fidget or run. But he doesn’t, because regardless he’d promised her he wouldn’t.

So when the ball drops, when she finally tells him, it’s so far off the mark of what he’s anticipating that he snorts at first. The snort turns into a laugh, one that crinkles the edge of his eyes, a bright chime of laughter leaving him despite how much he tries to stifle it down.

When he finally manages it, he’s reaching up to run a hand through his fiery hair, watching her curiously. “That’s… That’s all?” He asks, unable to believe it was just that. “I mean, I didn’ know this was a relationship where we coulda done that. But… ‘m not mad? Why’d ya think I’d be mad?” He asks, unable to stop himself.
so lose your faith in me

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
She expects a myriad of things in anticipation of the worst, though nothing would prepare her for laughter. Her expression stiffens, brows furrowing with confusion, as she turns her head sharply towards him. Her heartbeat is already sped up, but it quickens further. She feels like she's going to have an anxiety attack, and he's... laughing.

What's happening...

He asks her if that's all and her lips part to answer but, no sound comes out. She's still confused as all hell, and she can't find any words to give him because she was not prepared for this reaction. Maybe if he was upset, she might be frantically apologizing and swearing her loyalty to him.

Instead it's this. Should she be relieved? Probably. But all she feels is a sick twist of her gut, a shaky frown still on her lips.

"What do you mean?" She finally replies, voice soft, as if she's breathless and can't believe this is really how he's handling this. No, it must be a buildup for something worse. He's laughing because it's crazy she'd ever do this to him. He's right. "I'm- I'm- I didn't..." but there's no psychotic break apparent on his features and this is doubly confusing. "Why... why aren't you mad?" She asks with more of a voice, "Shouldn't you be? I kissed someone else," she reiterates this with more strength and emphasis than before.

Oh. That's it. He just doesn't care at all, and so why would this little thing bother him? Clearly she's mistaken this for more than what it is. That must be it. A heart-wrenching realization, honestly. Her chest lowers with a sad breath and she steps back, gaze wavering on him. "Don't you care?"
Aurelia
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
Her shock at his laughter only adds a fraction to the bubbliness that leaves him – little hiccups of laughs leaving him here and there before his attention is entirely focused back on Aurelia, as the reply finally hits the air. It isn’t the reaction she’d expected – had she expected him to get mad? Upset? Tell her he never wanted to see her again? Gods, no.

S’ya kissed someone else ‘n I’m sposed to be mad about it? Why?” He replies back to her with a tilt of his head. “It’s not like I’mma think y’love me any less? Maybe they had somethin’ I don’t ‘n if you got that from ‘em then great.” His shoulders rise and fall in a shrug. As for caring? This is where a red brow raises and his smile turns to something a bit softer.

’Course I care. But there’s bigger things t’worry about than you kissin’ someone else? Hell, ‘Relia, half m’family isn’t full blood t’me. Doesn’t make ‘em any less of m’family though, y’know?
so lose your faith in me

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
"I-I dunno! 'Cause usually that's what happens!?" She blurts out at his first question with a defensive air. She's not crazy... right?

And she's ready to leap down his throat with more lines that might coax that condemnation. But at the mention of loving him, she stutters. Though it's a lot less tense than before. She's surprised. She hadn't said that. "How do you know that?" The question is quiet, and he may not register what it's about because there's a lot being said around that one little word. Not so little to her.

Her parents had never been with any other people, not as far as she knew, and growing up with that sort of family environment does tend to put emphasis on how she thinks relationships should be. On top of that, it's not often she took the time to really examine all the kinds of relationships there are. Or how to tell which one you're in. She just kind of assumed that, in order for a relationship to be successful, you had to be completely faithful and devoted to that other person. Not.. kissing or sleeping with other people.

So it's her that laughs this time, finally feeling a bit of relief from the emotional turmoil she's put herself in - unnecessarily, to be sure. She presses her fingers to her forehead, over her eyes. "I thought you'd hate me and you don't even care about it," she mumbles, chuckling softly.
Aurelia
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
D’ya do this often, then?” He asks instead, stifling another hiccup of a laugh before he shakes his head. A hand rises to scratch at his chin, the faint edge of a five o clock shadow that fuzzes along his jaw. As for how he knows it? He isn’t sure what she’s referring to, so he picks the main thing he’d mentioned. That his family isn’t entirely full blood. His shoulders shrug again and there’s a crooked smile on his face. “’Cause I don’ look anythin’ like m’dad. Look a lot like m’mom but.” He pauses again to huff out a sigh of a laugh.

’n it’s Torchline. Sorta common t’have families like this. Ain’t much else t’do durin’ LongNight ‘n stuff anyway. But I heard th’rumors that havin’ jus’ one partner’s popular in the other regions ‘n with the Outlanders so I figured that’s kinda what yer used to.” This time he reaches forward toward Aurelia and tries to pull her hand away from her forehead, to pull her in against him, to wrap his arms around her and press a kiss to her head.

And when he pulls away it’s with a roguish grin. “S’who’d ya kiss?
so lose your faith in me

MILO